Western States match coming up soon.

Author Topic: Western States match coming up soon.  (Read 9911 times))

Offline Scotchmo

• Expert
Western States match coming up soon.
« on: July 31, 2013, 03:20:33 AM »
August 17th and 18th.

This may be the biggest FT match on the West Coast this year. Get your registrations in to guarantee a spot. We are over half full already with preregistered entrants. We will allow up to 60 competitors.

Free camping and access to bathrooms and shower. Lodging and dining also available in nearby Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo.

More info available at:
http://www.slsba.org

[img width= height=]http://www.slsba.org/airgun/images/ft-layout.jpg[/img]
  • Los Osos, California

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
  • "You've Come A Long Way BB"
    • Mac1 Airgun Distributors
Looking forward to it
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
I hope you max out. That would make for a long couple of days but that is OK. Closest thing I'll get to a vacation this year.
Any suggestions for cheap lodging? SLO probably better than Morro Bay? I need a Hotel for Saturday night only. I'm no camper by any stretch.

I'll see you there. If anyone wants me to bring stuff please give the shop a call. 310-327-3582

TimmyMac1
"No Guns Would be a Riot"

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "EXPERIENCE" ... Our Reward For Lifes Mistakes
Re: Western States match coming up soon.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:22:32 PM »
Official entry getting in the mail today
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline Scotchmo

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
I hope you max out. That would make for a long couple of days but that is OK. Closest thing I'll get to a vacation this year.
Any suggestions for cheap lodging? SLO probably better than Morro Bay? I need a Hotel for Saturday night only. I'm no camper by any stretch.

I'll see you there. If anyone wants me to bring stuff please give the shop a call. 310-327-3582

TimmyMac1
I don't like to recommend motels that I have not tried. There are lots in the area. Motel 6 is usually reasonable and somewhat consistent quality. There are two or three in San Luis Obispo and one in Morro Bay.

Closest one is in Morro Bay ($64):

http://www.motel6.com/ms/check-availability.do?property=4&VID=&numberOfAdults=&arrivalDate=&departureDate=&corporatePlusNumber=&travelAgentNumber=&BTR=/G6Maps/M6ProximityResults.aspx?searchtype=

And San Luis Obispo for a little less money ($50 and $54):

http://www.motel6.com/ms/check-availability.do?property=138&VID=&numberOfAdults=&arrivalDate=&departureDate=&corporatePlusNumber=&travelAgentNumber=&BTR=/G6Maps/M6ProximityResults.aspx?searchtype=

http://www.motel6.com/ms/check-availability.do?property=1373&VID=&numberOfAdults=&arrivalDate=&departureDate=&corporatePlusNumber=&travelAgentNumber=&BTR=/G6Maps/M6ProximityResults.aspx?searchtype=
  • Los Osos, California

Offline QVTom

• Vendors
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • American Air Arms
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
Scott,

I'm considering making the trip.  I have two guns that shoot under 20#, one is a 22 Gamo with a Hawke Eclipse and the other a D48 with a Hawke Sidewinder 4.5 X 14, both in 22 cal.  Neither are FT rigs by a long shot!  I shoot the Gamo best, this being my first try at FT, I assume piston hunter class?  Any suggestion on how to prepare?

Tom
  • Acton, CA
www.americanairarms.com - Made in the USA

Get on the GTA Members Map!   https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline eeler1

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »
FromTim;

"I'll see you there. If anyone wants me to bring stuff please give the shop a call. 310-327-3582"

I'll get my buying list together.  Can I bring you some repair guns to take back to the shop?

Scott, I'm thinking this event is really bringing norcal and socal together.  Plus so-or too, I guess.  A beautiful part of the state, and not so "dang" hot either. Looks like you and your crew have been busy.  I'm trying to get my brother to come along and help out too.  Really looking forward to it. 
  • West Sacramento, CA

Offline eeler1

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
Tom, I'm not Scott, but have shot FT with a springer.  Get a bucket to sit on, get a bipod, then practice and get your distance/poi down.  Figure out where the gun likes to lay on the bipod, or make a cradle for it, mark the spot on your stock, then try to hold it in the bipod the same way every shot if you can.  I found that the poi can change dramatically if I lay the gun near the trigger guard as opposed to near the front end of the stock.  Scott has done better than me with a springer, can give better advice.
  • West Sacramento, CA

Offline Scotchmo

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
Scott,

I'm considering making the trip.  I have two guns that shoot under 20#, one is a 22 Gamo with a Hawke Eclipse and the other a D48 with a Hawke Sidewinder 4.5 X 14, both in 22 cal.  Neither are FT rigs by a long shot!  I shoot the Gamo best, this being my first try at FT, I assume piston hunter class?  Any suggestion on how to prepare?

Tom
Tom,
That would be great. I'm surprised that you have not tried the Angeles matches in Lake View Terrace. I shot there last weekend. It is not far from Acton.

If you are good with the Gamo, that would be fine but break barrels tend to be difficult to shoot with the precision needed to do well in field target. My recommendation would be to shoot Hunter/Piston class with the D48, a stool and shooting sticks. Set the scope at 12x and you are good to go. Know your dope/holdover at all yardages from 10 to 55. The hardest part early on is estimating the distances. So practice that some.

I look forward to meeting you. Besides the shooting, you'll have a good time socializing and discussing airguns with other builders/tuners/shooters. Larry Durham, Tim McMurray, etc.

• Los Osos, California

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »
FromTim;

"I'll see you there. If anyone wants me to bring stuff please give the shop a call. 310-327-3582"

I'll get my buying list together.  Can I bring you some repair guns to take back to the shop?

Scott, I'm thinking this event is really bringing norcal and socal together.  Plus so-or too, I guess.  A beautiful part of the state, and not so "dang" hot either. Looks like you and your crew have been busy.  I'm trying to get my brother to come along and help out too.  Really looking forward to it. 

I don't mind taking guns back as long as they are boxed or cased.

TimmyMac1

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »
Scott,
I was wondering if Cali the cattle dog would be welcome on the Morro Bay FT Range. She knows what a Hot line is and will even be tied up like a stupid dog if it means being there with everyone. She is always at the CASA matches and the Oxnard BR etc so I wanted to find out if she needs to stay home of if she could get preapproval to join the fun. An exceptional request for an exceptional critter.
It doesn't hurt to ask. I'll understand either way. Cali not so much!

TimmyMac1

Offline Scotchmo

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:15 PM »
I don't see any restrictions in the range rules about pets. It's up to you to keep her under control and safe when needed. She should not be out on the range or course unaccompanied. When people are shooting, she should be with you.

This is a regional match. The only AAFTA pet restrictions are for the National match, so no problem with AAFTA rules.
  • Los Osos, California

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
Cali loves to go to matches. I'm working flat out so I won't be missed. Want to do HR if I can Saturday as well. Thanks for getting back to me.

TimmyMac1

Offline Scotchmo

• Expert
Western States - itinerary and entries
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 09:09:23 PM »
Less than two weeks to go.

We now have a hot hot shower and additional camping spots available with more RV hookups courtesy of the adjacent Cowboy Action shooting range. Plenty of tent camping spots as well.

August 15th - crew - early arrivals

August 16th - Friday AM - final course preparation

August 16th - Friday PM
The sight-in range will be open in the mid afternoon. Unregistered shooters can sign up at that time (space permitting). For those camping at the range, once you arrive, you won't have to leave until the match is over. Besides the normal lunches we will have other food available throughout the weekend. A BBQ dinner will be served at the clubhouse at about 6pm. Tri-tip, smoked turkey, linguica, beans, french bread. Bottled water, soft drinks and more. If you need to go into town, Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo are nearby (less than 10 miles away).

August 17th - Match day one. AM
Late arrivals sign-in. The sight-in range is open at 7:30am. Self serve breakfast will be available at the clubhouse. Coffee, milk, juice, bagels, donuts, yogurt, fruit. Shooters meeting at 9am and then the match.

August 17th - PM
Lunch will be served at the clubhouse starting at 1pm. Hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled vegetables, bottled water, soft drinks, and more. The raffle drawing has been replaced with swap meet tables. If you have airguns or related items that you want to sell or trade, you are welcome to bring them out. The sight-in range will be open later in the afternoon.

For dinner, we will see about organizing a trip into Morro Bay for fish and chips at some location on the wharf. Those that want to stay at the range will have access to the BBQ and there will be some self serve food available.

August 18th - Match day two. AM
The sight-in range is open at 7:30am. Self serve breakfast will be available at the clubhouse. Coffee, milk, juice, bagels, donuts, yogurt, fruit. Shooters meeting at 9am and then the match.

August 18th - PM
Lunch will be served at the clubhouse starting at 1pm. Deli sandwiches. A variety including turkey, roast beef, ham, on soft french or sourdough, with and without the works. Potato salad. Bottled water, soft drinks and more.

Award presentation will begin as soon as the scores are tallied and posted.

It looks like we will have a very good turnout.

Registrations received:
1 ) Baldwin, W - Hunter/Piston  (C-Cal)
2 ) Biergiel, F - Hunter/PCP  (N-Cal)
3 ) Bowen, R Hunter/Piston  (N-Cal)
4 ) Brinkley, A - Hunter/PCP (jr)  (S-Cal)
5 ) Brinkley, J - Hunter/Piston  (S-Cal)
6 ) Brinkley, Na - Hunter/PCP (jr)  (S-Cal)
7 ) Brinkley, Ni - Hunter/PCP (jr)  (S-Cal)
8 ) Brooks, J - Hunter/PCP  (N-Cal)
9 ) Burciaga, A - Hunter/PCP  (S-Cal)
10) Culbertson, M - Hunter/PCP  (N-Cal)
11) Cyran, J - Hunter/PCP  (N-Cal)
12) Doganis, G - Open/PCP  (S-Cal)
13) Durham, L - Hunter/PCP  (S-Cal)
14) Farina, P - Open/PCP  (S-Cal)
15) Flynn, J - Hunter/PCP  (N-Cal)
16) Gravelle, M - WFTF/PCP  (OR)
17) House, D - Open/PCP  (MT)
18) Hull, A - Hunter/PCP  (C-Cal)
19) Hull, S - Hunter/Piston  (C-Cal)
20) Iglesias, C - Open/PCP  (S-Cal)
21) Jobbes, R - Open/Piston  (S-Cal)
22) Koch, R - Hunter/Piston  (N-Cal)
23) Lu, S - Open/PCP  (N-Cal)
24) Marquez, R - Open/PCP  (N-Cal)
25) McMurray, T - Open/PCP  (S-Cal)
26) Merrit, C - Open/PCP  (N-Cal)
27) Miller, D - Open/PCP  (S-Cal)
28) Miller, V - Open/PCP  (S-Cal)
29) Nunez, J - Hunter/PCP  (S-Cal)
30) Pacheco, V - Open/PCP  (S-Cal)
31) Saenz, M - Hunter/PCP  (S-Cal)
32) Sloan, B - WFTF/Piston  (C-Cal)
33) Schneider, S - Hunter/PCP  (N-Cal)
34) Smith, L - Hunter/Piston  (N-Cal)
35) Whittlesey, J - Open/PCP  (N-Cal)

Hunter/PCP (14)
Hunter/Piston (6)
Open/PCP (12)
Open/Piston (1)
WFTF/PCP (1)
WFTF/Piston (1)

If you are not on the list above and are supposed to be, let me know.

Registered AND paid entries are guaranteed a spot. A few of the above entries are penciled in (registered but not paid). I also have about 11 others who notified me of their plans to attend and their class but nothing official was sent in. Including them we have:

Hunter/PCP (16)
Hunter/Piston (7)
Open/PCP (15)
Open/Piston (2)
WFTF/PCP (4)
WFTF/Piston (2)

We can handle up to 60 competitors. For the time being, I'm going to plan for about 50.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:42:55 PM by Scotchmo »
  • Los Osos, California

Offline shepcal@sti.net

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 11:10:42 PM »
Sounds like well organized and a lot of fun; just too short of notice (for me). Don't know why everything is north, south or west; why no one around Fresno shoot?

Shep
  • Oakhurst, Ca
'Going to see the Elephant'

XNGH ECV4149
NRA endowment member
Gamo Shadow Sport1000 w/ trigger and stock mods
TX200HCB

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
Hey Scott .... Any chance of noting each entrants NC / CC / SC location there from ?  ( Northern Cal / Central cal / Southern Cal )
Just be interesting that's all  ;)

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »
Sounds like well organized and a lot of fun; just too short of notice (for me). Don't know why everything is north, south or west; why no one around Fresno shoot?

Shep

I went to High School in Visalia and considered Morro Bay and Pismo the local ocean. Living in Fresno there will never be anything closer to you unless you do it. Join the fun. Fresno will never be an FT place unless you issue hydration vests. Too freaking HOT!

TimmyMac1

Offline eeler1

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »

Shep

I dunno Shep, Fresno is pretty darn close from where I sit, about 12 hours north.  There was a guy, Brad Miller, who used to host informal FT shoots up near Coarsegold.  PM me if you are interested and I'll get you his contact info.
  • West Sacramento, CA

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »

Shep

Yup, Fresno is about as close as you can get for most likely to be attending this shoot.
If it makes ya feel any better  ??? just crunched mileage numbers to get there from here ... @ 325 miles each way  ;)

Offline Scotchmo

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »
Hey Scott .... Any chance of noting each entrants NC / CC / SC location there from ?  ( Northern Cal / Central cal / Southern Cal )
Just be interesting that's all  ;)
I added the location notes to the post as requested.
  • Los Osos, California

Offline eeler1

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
So far, looks like Dan House will get the long distance award, quite a commute from Montana to San Luis Obispo.
  • West Sacramento, CA

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: