So.....what did you shoot today?

Author Topic: So.....what did you shoot today?  (Read 149390 times - 3 votes) 
)

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
Re: So.....what did you shoot today?
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 12:33:32 AM »
Our heat index is thru the roof here in Lower Alabama. It's just no fun running out for 5 shots and then running back into the AC. Not to mention fighting the glasses fogging each time.
Fortunately for me, when conditions like these arises, I move into the basement for some pistol shooting, with my makeshift 15ft range.

Stay cool, Bill 8)
  • Southern NH, USA
Proud member of  F.U.G.L.Y.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 12:43:28 AM »
Broke out the Avanti 853 and started some random plinking.  Been a long time since shooting without a scope.
I've been meaning to start shooting my old RWS model 48 again, and just getting more proficient with iron sights........and springs
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline Airjason

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 12:53:34 AM »
It is hot here too today. No wind. Did some bb pistol draw shots at swinging cork target. Something that is a bit more of a challenge than fixed targets. Umarex Colt SAA. Got to say it is fun. Got about 7 hit out of 60 shots. Also took some shots with a couple of my springer rifles, HW50S and HW35.
  • Hawaii, Honolulu
Beeman/Weihrauch 50S,77,35,R1 all .177
RWS Excalibres .177, .22
Career 707s .20, .22
Several more..

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 12:57:50 AM »
Yesterday I pulled out one of my HW95s, planted my self in a lawn chair and proceeded to thin out some unripe plums on the tree.  Way too many plums on that tree all crowded together.  It's a 12fpe rifle in .177 and I am always amazed at how much smack down that is.  Earlier that day I had the FX400 out and was shooting pine cones out of a tree and hitting some dirt mounds that a mole has made in my lawn.  I love watching the big puff of dirt when that pellet hits.  I took aim on some starlings today but I didn't take any shots... not a safe back drop in case I missed.

I am glad to hear that your vacation has stated out well.  I hope that you get much deserved refreshment during your time off.
A few weekends ago, I had a long shooting session with my .25 Bullboss. I had the Bullboss on a bipod, shooting off a bench. I was so in the zone, that by the end, I was targeting thin fern stalks nearly 40yds out. It feels so great, when you are so on.

And thanks, vacation is starting off well................Cheers!
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:08 AM »
Finally got some time to shoot today.  Shot the Taipan Veteran .25, Airforce Condor .25 and the Texan .45.  Spent more time talking than shooting with GTA members sfttailrdr46, Don, and crittahitta, Tom.  Really nice to meet you guys, it was pleasure shooting with you!
The feeling is mutual and you are right we spent as much time shooting the bull as shooting . great time hanging with you guys
Sounds like a great time, guys!
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2017, 01:11:47 AM »
Pellet enters skull
SPA pistol performing well
'Nuther dead nutter

I can hear William Shattner reciting this.

Very deep, Peter. Very deep.
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 01:15:39 AM »
Headed out this afternoon after a much needed nap and grabbed three boys and BB guns.  Set up in the grass on a blanket with walnut shells, a tin can and those mole hills as the intended targets.  We let the BBs fly!  Had a good time and it was just simple fun in the evening sun with three of my boys shooting along side of me.
Now, that's quality time!
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 01:21:20 AM »
It is hot here too today. No wind. Did some bb pistol draw shots at swinging cork target. Something that is a bit more of a challenge than fixed targets. Umarex Colt SAA. Got to say it is fun. Got about 7 hit out of 60 shots. Also took some shots with a couple of my springer rifles, HW50S and HW35.

You're just about ready for high noon, Jason ;)

While not as dramatic as your set up, the hanging soda cans I was shooting were swaying in the wind a bit.
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive Administrator
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 01:37:57 AM »
Air Max Varmint .177
Air Max Varmint .22
Zasdar PP700S-A

FUN shooting!!!!
Trigger time is always a premium and therapy also!!!
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2017, 01:38:12 AM »
Todays temperature was considered a hot and humid day for the area that I live in Minnesota..about 79 F with 70% humidity. This would be a very nice day down in the southern states but up here it is considered very hot. Today I shot a box of 1250 177cal 7.4gr crosman pointed pellets in my 2100. I do not have a lot of guns but the guns that I have I shoot a lot. Each day I pick a different gun and shoot that one for the day.  I am retired so I shoot most every day, year round. Tomorrow I will be shooting 800 Crosman Piranha pellets with my Benjamin NP XL1100. I shoot mostly at targets, some of which I make myself. At the beginning of each year, in January, I go to the local drugstore for calendars that they give away. I get all the left-over calendars from the past year, that they still have. Usually that is quite a few, sometimes 80 or more. I trace the outline of a quarter in all the boxes of each day of the month. I then hang a page from a clothes line that I have set out at 35 yards and shoot for groupings in the squares of each day of the month. I also have a 2 1/2 in. spinner set at 35 yards, that I shoot at. I have a plum line, that I use for aligning scopes with, hanging from a tree with an eye bolt tied to the Botton end. I sometimes hang soda pop cans from the eye bolt and shoot at the suspended can. I have a double spinner set at 65 yds that I sometimes shoot at as well. The top spinner is 2 1/2 inches in Dia. and the bottom spinner is 3 3/4 inches in Dia. I generally will shoot, at least two tins of pellets or more each day.  Here are pictures of todays shooting results with the Crosman 2100 shooting at a shoot-in-see target.           Best Regards  -  Tom      ;D
  • Uff-dah Minnesota---- Located in the Nord East Wintersux Zone = Northern Mn. & Wi. Border Area

Offline bReTt

• Expert
  • Chocolate chip cookies and ice cold milk any day!
    • TheCrookedNail
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 02:05:14 AM »
Todays temperature was considered a hot and humid day for the area that I live in Minnesota..about 79 F with 70% humidity.

Minnesota?  My wife and I just spent last weekend in Minneapolis visiting our oldest son who is doing summer research at UMN.  First time I had been to Minneapolis.  It is a nice city.  Very clean and easy to navigate on the public transit system and bike.  We had a great time while visiting there.  Weather was perfect on our stay.  The university campus was very well maintained also.  Boy is that state FLAT!  I'm used to mountains, being born and raised in Alaska and Washington State.  Still a beautiful part of the land there with the green trees and lakes. 
  • Puyallup, WA
HW97K  HW77K  HW95-2 

R9.22  RS78 

Daisy 953  Beeman P17-2 

1740 Bond, Vigilante

Baikal MP-46M

FX Streamline  FWB300S

Offline 39M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 02:31:49 AM »
Shot 5 of my 6 springers this weekend with most of the attention going to the unshrouded .22 Crusher NP and the .177 Daisy 131 with ruger 4x scope.

Was hitting the 58 yard spinner with the little 131 with only about 3 inches of holdover.
Tried some of the Ruger Superpoints in the Crusher....meh....I could take'm or leave'm. They look really cool, but I'm fine with the CPUM's.

About decided that these are the only 2 springers that I really need. And most of the time they're the only ones that I want to shoot.

Love the smooth, quiet, powerful thump of the .22 NP. And the funky plastic stock is growing on me. It's LOP is about a perfect 13.5", for me, and it really has a solid feel.
Although I'll probably swap the Crusher powerplant and stock into my Remington Vantage to take advantage of it's opposed wedge setup and better trigger, and probably add a .595" diameter .22 barrel to replace the lightweight Crusher barrel.

And there's a fear that if I was to upgrade from the 131 to an HW30 the gain would be insignificant other than status. I'd certainly miss the Daisy's non-auto and ergonomically superior safety.
The Daisy also has the near 13.5 LOP that I like after replacing the plastic plate with a much thicker rubber recoil pad. It'll probably get a mild power boost with a spring swap eventually.

Probably sell off/give away the other 4 pretty soon and move on to building a 1322 carbine to complete my pumper collection.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:42:30 AM by 39M »
  • Texas
"You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

POWERLINE 35
Blue Streak. 1377. 880
Blackhawk Elite. Daisy 131.
Remington Vantage 1200.
CRUSHER NP.
Torpedo 100x .177

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 03:09:48 AM »
Todays temperature was considered a hot and humid day for the area that I live in Minnesota..about 79 F with 70% humidity. This would be a very nice day down in the southern states but up here it is considered very hot. Today I shot a box of 1250 177cal 7.4gr crosman pointed pellets in my 2100. I do not have a lot of guns but the guns that I have I shoot a lot. Each day I pick a different gun and shoot that one for the day.  I am retired so I shoot most every day, year round. Tomorrow I will be shooting 800 Crosman Piranha pellets with my Benjamin NP XL1100. I shoot mostly at targets, some of which I make myself. At the beginning of each year, in January, I go to the local drugstore for calendars that they give away. I get all the left-over calendars from the past year, that they still have. Usually that is quite a few, sometimes 80 or more. I trace the outline of a quarter in all the boxes of each day of the month. I then hang a page from a clothes line that I have set out at 35 yards and shoot for groupings in the squares of each day of the month. I also have a 2 1/2 in. spinner set at 35 yards, that I shoot at. I have a plum line, that I use for aligning scopes with, hanging from a tree with an eye bolt tied to the Botton end. I sometimes hang soda pop cans from the eye bolt and shoot at the suspended can. I have a double spinner set at 65 yds that I sometimes shoot at as well. The top spinner is 2 1/2 inches in Dia. and the bottom spinner is 3 3/4 inches in Dia. I generally will shoot, at least two tins of pellets or more each day.  Here are pictures of todays shooting results with the Crosman 2100 shooting at a shoot-in-see target.           Best Regards  -  Tom      ;D

Holy cow, 1250 in a day? Did you pump it 10 times each shot?

Edit:

Today I did some penetration testing.  Trying to figure out why I didn't see an exit hole on a rabbit I shot at 20 yards. I must have hit bone, because the rabbit was barely 2.5" wide, meanwhile these foam pepsi cups wrapped in duct tape are about 4-5" wide.  While most of the shots go right through them, one shot at 25 yards didn't and I recovered the pellet pretty smooshed up.

Shot this one with a Crosman Premier Pointed and a H&N Hunter Extreme.  That big exit hole means they're expanding I think? Despite my gun only sending them out at about 700 FPS.

The Crosman Premier Pointed that got caught was shot at 25 yards...

I decided since they were splitting the styrofoam up the middle that I should put a layer of duct tape around it.  Even a Crosman Premier Hollow Point still went straight through.

Otherwise I just plinked some bottle caps I hang up in the tree...
(Don't worry, the tree is behind it, just not in this pic)

Then just trying to shoot some groups with these H&N Barracuda's that my rifle doesn't like... Point of aim was that big black mark...

Also printed out this neat little ballistics chart and glued it to my butt stock...  Shows the POI difference and which Mil-Dot to use at what ranges for 4 of my rifle's favorite pellets.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:49:19 AM by SagaciousKJB »
Remington Vantage NP .177 (JM molly paste, JM Seal, GRT-III trigger blade and polished sears, polished and buttoned piston, brass pivot washer mod, CPHP 4-16x40AO)

Beeman RS2 Silver Kodiak X2 .177/.22(JM molly paste and tar, polished sears, trigger over-travel stop, custom scope stop, polished and buttoned piston, included 4x32 scope)

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »

Yes..and I did it left handed too.   :)  I'm in fairly good shape for an old guy.  I worked 30+ years as an industrial mechanic and did a lot of heavy lifting and hard physical work, all my life.  Now that I am retired I must lift weights and run a few miles each day in order to stay strong and get the exercise that I used to get naturally at work.  The 2100 is a snap to pump...easy peasy.  The 50 lb cocking force on the Benjamin XL 1100 is more of a challenge but I can still shoot 2 tins of 400 Piranhas in a day with that gun too. I  generally use my left hand to cock that one as well. (I'm naturally right handed)  In my younger years I used to do about 25 pull-ups each day and did vertical ice climbing as a recreational pastime. I would climb the frozen waterfalls here in Minn during winter months and did free hand rock climbing in the spring, summer and fall. I was really into Vertical Adventures in my 20's, 30's & 40's.   :D      Best Regards. -  Tom

• Uff-dah Minnesota---- Located in the Nord East Wintersux Zone = Northern Mn. & Wi. Border Area

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »

Yes..and I did it left handed too.   :)  I'm in fairly good shape for an old guy.  I worked 30+ years as an industrial mechanic and did a lot of heavy lifting and hard physical work, all my life.  Now that I am retired I must lift weights and run a few miles each day in order to stay strong and get the exercise that I used to get naturally at work.  The 2100 is a snap to pump...easy peasy.  The 50 lb cocking force on the Benjamin XL 1100 is more of a challenge but I can still shoot 2 tins of 400 Piranhas in a day with that gun too. I  generally use my left hand to cock that one as well. (I'm naturally right handed)  In my younger years I used to do about 25 pull-ups each day and did vertical ice climbing as a recreational pastime. I would climb the frozen waterfalls here in Minn during winter months and did free hand rock climbing in the spring, summer and fall. I was really into Vertical Adventures in my 20's, 30's & 40's.   :D      Best Regards. -  Tom

Heh, I remember my 2100 fondly, but I really remember it leaving my arm more worn out than my break-barrels do now! I'm trying to remember how long it took me to do 10 pumps. I do remember at one point I wore the little ball latch down and the pump arm would just barely stay closed.
Remington Vantage NP .177 (JM molly paste, JM Seal, GRT-III trigger blade and polished sears, polished and buttoned piston, brass pivot washer mod, CPHP 4-16x40AO)

Beeman RS2 Silver Kodiak X2 .177/.22(JM molly paste and tar, polished sears, trigger over-travel stop, custom scope stop, polished and buttoned piston, included 4x32 scope)

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »
Todays temperature was considered a hot and humid day for the area that I live in Minnesota..about 79 F with 70% humidity.

Minnesota?  My wife and I just spent last weekend in Minneapolis visiting our oldest son who is doing summer research at UMN.  First time I had been to Minneapolis.  It is a nice city.  Very clean and easy to navigate on the public transit system and bike.  We had a great time while visiting there.  Weather was perfect on our stay.  The university campus was very well maintained also.  Boy is that state FLAT!  I'm used to mountains, being born and raised in Alaska and Washington State. Still a beautiful part of the land there with the green trees and lakes.
Brett :

You're Right !
  The highest elevation in Minn. is about 2300 Ft. That is the height of some of the terrain on the North Shore of Lake Superior. My place is 900 ft above sea level. Many years ago, I spent 3 1/2 weeks climbing, OUT Your Way,  in the North Cascades.  Mt. Baker was one of the places I climbed.  The year was 1978, if I remember correctly.   No Mountains Here for that to happen in Mn.  I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here in Minn Brett.   This state has a lot of nice features to it ..BUT mountains are not one of them.   Best Regards. -  Tom

Offline uglymike

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »
Just got my Walther LGV Master Pro back from Motorhead, took it to my indoor range @ 5:30AM to sight it in. Put a Hawke Endurance 6X24X50 I had on it, BKL rings...........it's a laser folks.  ;D ;) I have pics, just can't size them.
  • Nebraska
Walther LGV Challenger Ultra .177
HW98 .177
HW97K stainless .22 
HW35E stainless .177
D34p .177
D34 .177

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »
Super busy day today. Only able to sneak in a quick 5 rounds with the Crosman MK177. Which is just as well, since it looks like the nasty humidity from down South has made its way up to New England. Yuck!
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
Planning to chrony the bullets samples that Nick (Nielson's Ammo) sent me to test . My accuracy tests failed due to a bad breech o-ring going undetected until I started shooting 100 yard groups, at 50 yards 3 shot groups were touching with all three bullet weights that Nick sent. I will try again at the Brookhaven range in a couple days for 100 yard accuracy  :-[ ::)
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
Shot a tin of 177cal H&N 8.5gr Sniper Mediums.  scp52 had told me how well these pellets shoot in his guns and WOW they shoot like laser beams out of my 177cal Striker.  I have shot a lot of different pellets through this gun. Many have shot well but nothing so far comes even close to these.  If I was a better shot I am sure that these pellets could stack pellets through one hole at 35 yards.  I was shooting quarter,  nickel and dime size groups today.          Steve was so right about these pellets and I'm Impressed !        My Best Wishes & Best Regards to All - Tom

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?