values of airguns

Author Topic: values of airguns  (Read 36476 times))

Offline DavidS

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: values of airguns
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
;D While I agree that the shooter is a key factor in the end result of where the projectile ends up be it a well placed head shot on a pest or food for the dinner table. Where I disagree is in viewing another shooters choice as being a poor one we choose our rifles based on budget and and desire. I will not tell someone that my rifle is the better rifle than another persons because I simply do not know what motivates his choices. For me and where I am in my life it is about function and beauty. For utility and reasonable power I have a Marauder .25 synthetic stock. I also have a Daisy 880 that I shoot and plan On making a wood stock and fore stock for . Now I pose a question which is the better rifle?
I must agree with that 100%.    Tat is also the reason for the joke under my avatar (Springer = toy (Red Rider), MSP = Rifle), I am attempting to get people to realize that any kind of AirGun is good, it is just a matter of the needs and preference of the shooter.

Offline DavidS

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
;D While I agree that the shooter is a key factor in the end result of where the projectile ends up be it a well placed head shot on a pest or food for the dinner table. Where I disagree is in viewing another shooters choice as being a poor one we choose our rifles based on budget and and desire. I will not tell someone that my rifle is the better rifle than another persons because I simply do not know what motivates his choices. For me and where I am in my life it is about function and beauty. For utility and reasonable power I have a Marauder .25 synthetic stock. I also have a Daisy 880 that I shoot and plan On making a wood stock and fore stock for . Now I pose a question which is the better rifle?
Which is a better rifle for your use?   I can not answer what a better rifle for you.

Offline bbv13

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »
Quote from Regular Guy .25
"I always felt that they were under valued as well.  If i had a vintage benji or 'dan that shot hard and was still accurate, in fairly decent shape, it would take more than a couple hundred bucks for me to part with it.  And even then, I'd think twice about letting it go... only if i absolutely needed the money for something a whole lot more important."

I don't know if you watch the prices of vintage air guns but a nice Sheridan is bringing more than $200 and Benjamin 317, 312 and 342's in decent shape are bringing about the same. Even the 310 and 340's are bringing close to $200. The first and second generation 397 and 392's are a little behind but still $150-$175. I think it's a really good time to be collecting because there are still some good deals to be had and the payoff is really nice. The bottom line is they are getting hard to find and demand is going up.

Bryan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:53:19 PM by bbv13 »
  • NC

Offline stonykill

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Just a hunter always looking to improve his skills
    • Daisy Air Rifle Modifications
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »

I agree completely.

Define better. Better value for the dollar? Better accuracy at 15 yards? Better is in the eye of the shooter.
  • Upstate NY

Offline North Country Gal

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
I'll also add that the value of air guns to you is also a matter of how big a role air guns play in your shooting. For my husband and I, in terms of hours spent shooting and/or number of rounds fired, air guns play the major role in our shooting, hence we are willing to invest a lot of money in our air guns.

Not just the expensive stuff, though. I love vintage air guns and spend as much time with our old stuff as the new stuff. I can't walk into a gun shop or pawn shop without looking for an old Benjamin or Sheridan and will never pass one up at anything close to a reasonable price. If you spot one on the rack and see me coming, you better grab it, first. :)
  • Rhinelander, Wi

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
 ;) That is exactly the answers I expected and like beauty it is all in the mind and eyes of the beholder
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline stonykill

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Just a hunter always looking to improve his skills
    • Daisy Air Rifle Modifications
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
;) That is exactly the answers I expected and like beauty it is all in the mind and eyes of the beholder

:D 
  • Upstate NY

Offline mobilehomer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »
There's an old saying - "Beware of the man with one gun! He probably knows how to use it!"
It really doesn't matter what you use. If you become one with your gun, you can hit your target every time. This means you know distances, power,
every thing your particular gun is capable of doing. It all boils down to - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! Nothing beats trigger time.
  • White House, TN
Trail NP2 .22
UTG 10X50 Glass Reticle

Maximus Hunter .22
UTG 4-16X56 Glass Reticle

2400KT .22 14.5 LW
Bushnell AR223 3-12X40
TKO
Prod Trigger group

Nitro Venom Dusk .177
CDT GRT III trigger
Centerpoint 4-16X40 AO
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline DavidS

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 03:12:46 PM »
There's an old saying - "Beware of the man with one gun! He probably knows how to use it!"
It really doesn't matter what you use. If you become one with your gun, you can hit your target every time. This means you know distances, power,
every thing your particular gun is capable of doing. It all boils down to - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! Nothing beats trigger time.
You forgot to mention PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, AND PRACTICE :) .
I agree very much.

Offline mobilehomer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
Sorry, David - I left out one PRACTICE!!!
  • White House, TN
Trail NP2 .22
UTG 10X50 Glass Reticle

Maximus Hunter .22

2400KT .22 14.5 LW
Bushnell AR223 3-12X40
TKO
Prod Trigger group

Nitro Venom Dusk .177
CDT GRT III trigger
Centerpoint 4-16X40 AO

Offline DavidS

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
Sorry, David - I left out one PRACTICE!!!
:) LOL

Offline palonej

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Another shooting discipline that drives me insane!
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
I think of mine as priceless. I get to shoot PBs about 3 times a year......shoot my air rifles at least 4 - 5 times a week in my yard......have about 140 yards.
Each session costs me $15 tops.
Stress relief and pure joy of shooting can't be quantified monetarily in my eyes.
Each one is totally wicked accurate....with lots and lots of PRACTICE!!
Priceless!

• MONMOUTH JCT NJ
CDT tuned Whisper Deluxe..SMOOTH
Shadow tuned Whisper Deluxe .177..SUPER SWEET
Scott (Motorhead) super duper tuned TX 200 Mk111 .177..ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT & BRAIN DAMAGE ACCURATE
Motörhead transformed Vortek 56 TH .177..RETARDED ACCURATE 100 YARD GROUPER!!!
HW 98 Totally Motorheaded....SMOOTH BEYOND WORDS!!
HW 97 beech thumbhole SS Totally Motorheaderized....WOW!!!!
Motorheaded Walnut Pro Sport 177!!Put 10 pellets in one hole right out of the gate!!! KEEPER!!!

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?gro

Offline mobilehomer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 05:57:01 PM »
Joe, you left out 3 PRACTICES!!!
  • White House, TN
Trail NP2 .22
UTG 10X50 Glass Reticle

Maximus Hunter .22

2400KT .22 14.5 LW
Bushnell AR223 3-12X40
TKO
Prod Trigger group

Nitro Venom Dusk .177
CDT GRT III trigger
Centerpoint 4-16X40 AO

Offline palonej

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Another shooting discipline that drives me insane!
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
I thought I had it covered with lots and lots Ken!!!
 ;D ;D
  • MONMOUTH JCT NJ
CDT tuned Whisper Deluxe..SMOOTH
Shadow tuned Whisper Deluxe .177..SUPER SWEET
Scott (Motorhead) super duper tuned TX 200 Mk111 .177..ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT & BRAIN DAMAGE ACCURATE
Motörhead transformed Vortek 56 TH .177..RETARDED ACCURATE 100 YARD GROUPER!!!
HW 98 Totally Motorheaded....SMOOTH BEYOND WORDS!!
HW 97 beech thumbhole SS Totally Motorheaderized....WOW!!!!
Motorheaded Walnut Pro Sport 177!!Put 10 pellets in one hole right out of the gate!!! KEEPER!!!

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?gro

Offline mobilehomer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
Of all the things that I have ever needed to practice, sports, music, whatever, the absolute most fun is shooting. Trigger time is always fun!!
So lots and lots of PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, then PRACTICE some more!!!
  • White House, TN
Trail NP2 .22
UTG 10X50 Glass Reticle

Maximus Hunter .22

2400KT .22 14.5 LW
Bushnell AR223 3-12X40
TKO
Prod Trigger group

Nitro Venom Dusk .177
CDT GRT III trigger
Centerpoint 4-16X40 AO

Offline Pappy

• Expert
  • Beware of the person with only one gun!
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
My point may have been misunderstood, previously .... I am not a hunter, nor does my food depend on hunting, but what I was trying to say is that whatever you do, try to buy the "best" of whatever you must depend on.  If hunting is critical, buy the best rifle for the job, a dependable gun, consistent, etc .... whatever that would be.  If you were a mountain climber, wouldn't you buy the best rope, and other equipment available?  Your life depends on it.
There is such a diverse crowd of members on this site, that it is difficult to give an "opinion" without hurting someone's feelings, or being perceived as pretentious.  If someone wants to get into serious HFT competition, and asks what the best rifle might be for that under $300.00, how do you answer that diplomatically?  A decent scope could easily cost that, now you have to put a rifle under it.  About 2 years ago, I got back into this hobby.  My brother-in-law, with a limited airgun budget, bought an 880.  Happy as a pig in mud, we shot it, and had fun plinking.  I was now re-hooked, but was a little more serious ... became interested in tighter groups, bought a Gamo.  Then I laughed as I put a UTG scope on it that cost $50.00 less than the rifle.   ;D  I loved that Gamo ... but ... wanted even tighter and more consistent groups, and moved on.  I sold the Gamo to my brother-in-law, at less than half the value, and wow, is he a happy camper.  This is way more gun than he ever expected to have, and I know he will stick with it.  That is just fine.
  I laughed at the amount of money spent on this hobby, less than 2 years later I have thousands in this, one gun, and a slew of accessories ... thank you very much GTA!   ;D ;D One last note, then I'll stop the editorial.  To make another point, back in the RC car racing days, serious racers had the best cars & radios etc., limited income families raced beside the serious racers with "out of the box" cars (Radio Shack etc.).  That was ok with us, but they NEVER were competitive, and the kids became discouraged. We started a separate "class" or division for them, and now the winners of that class were getting cool trophies, and the pride could be seen the eyes of the beginners.  We break out springers and PCP's, maybe break it further down and add more divisions for competitions.  This is all just my humble opinions.

Pappy
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Offline Booger

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Deceased
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »
The value of an air gun is not in dollars and cents, but the joy it brings to you. JMHO
  • Rice, Texas
.177 Puffers
Daystate MK4
MROD Rocker tuned
Varmint F/S
.22 Puffers
Daystate Air Wolf MTC F/S $1865 + shipping & Ins
Jumpers:
.22 Diana K98
.22 Hatsan 95
.177 NP2 Upgrade Trigger F/S $175 Shipped

Heirloom:
.177 Pro Sport 12 FPE - Rowan Eng. set back trigger, alum trigger guard, adj butt pad, tuned with Maccari parts, refinished stock that is amazing.
Sun Optics 4-14X44  FFP really nice scope.

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
 ;D Pappy I couldn't agree more . I still have a '69 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 with ram air hood and a Holly 850 Double pumper carb and probably over $40,000 between engine tranny and all the rest . When my son was into R/C cars we built a Porch 959 all wheel  drive  racer 4 wheel independent suspension and several hundred invested in after market parts to make it better needless to say for a while on the small track the kids had built in a vacant lot for a short while he ruled until the other dads got involved there were 8 father and son teams dads financed and wrenched and the kids drove and had a ball lots of fun and healthy competition. As you said spend what you can and get the best you can afford there are less disappointments that way.
I started slow with the adult AG's 20 months ago and have almost completed my AG collection . It started with a gifted Daisy 880 then a Gamo Whisper .177  then Diana 460 and a TX200 .22

PS Jesse I couldn't agree more mine help me to stay somewhat sane in a crazy world ;) ;D
  • Long Island N.Y.
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
RWS D460  .177  
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177

Offline DavidS

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »
My point may have been misunderstood, previously .... I am not a hunter, nor does my food depend on hunting, but what I was trying to say is that whatever you do, try to buy the "best" of whatever you must depend on.  If hunting is critical, buy the best rifle for the job, a dependable gun, consistent, etc .... whatever that would be.  If you were a mountain climber, wouldn't you buy the best rope, and other equipment available?  Your life depends on it.
There is such a diverse crowd of members on this site, that it is difficult to give an "opinion" without hurting someone's feelings, or being perceived as pretentious.  If someone wants to get into serious HFT competition, and asks what the best rifle might be for that under $300.00, how do you answer that diplomatically?  A decent scope could easily cost that, now you have to put a rifle under it.  About 2 years ago, I got back into this hobby.  My brother-in-law, with a limited airgun budget, bought an 880.  Happy as a pig in mud, we shot it, and had fun plinking.  I was now re-hooked, but was a little more serious ... became interested in tighter groups, bought a Gamo.  Then I laughed as I put a UTG scope on it that cost $50.00 less than the rifle.   ;D  I loved that Gamo ... but ... wanted even tighter and more consistent groups, and moved on.  I sold the Gamo to my brother-in-law, at less than half the value, and wow, is he a happy camper.  This is way more gun than he ever expected to have, and I know he will stick with it.  That is just fine.
  I laughed at the amount of money spent on this hobby, less than 2 years later I have thousands in this, one gun, and a slew of accessories ... thank you very much GTA!   ;D ;D One last note, then I'll stop the editorial.  To make another point, back in the RC car racing days, serious racers had the best cars & radios etc., limited income families raced beside the serious racers with "out of the box" cars (Radio Shack etc.).  That was ok with us, but they NEVER were competitive, and the kids became discouraged. We started a separate "class" or division for them, and now the winners of that class were getting cool trophies, and the pride could be seen the eyes of the beginners.  We break out springers and PCP's, maybe break it further down and add more divisions for competitions.  This is all just my humble opinions.

Pappy
I agree with all of your points (except for the gamo giving tighter groups than a well tuned Daisy 880).

For what I rely on I go with what is most reliable, and consistent in the conditions that I use it.  That happens to be MSP AirRifles that are hand tuned by me.

And I would pit my Daisy 22X or Crosman 2289 against any springer or PCP in competition, for those competitions that will allow it.  because I know that these two are at least as precise as 99% of the high end PCP's out to about 80 yards (after that the shot grouping widens fast with mine).

Every one has there preference, and every one has there reasoning.    It is difficult to say what would be the best for a given person with out a lot of information to go on.

For me: I need something light weight to carry that does not need any extras (just the gun and ammo), is 100% reliable, produces good consistent accuracy with me shooting it 100% of the time, and if everything on earth happens to go wrong I can work on the gun with very minimal tools.     The only thing that meets my requirements is the MSP (springers are out do to the need of a way to compress the spring/ gas piston).   Though that is me.

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »
 ;D If it drops in the pot my biggest concern will be to get me and mine to a safe place, tools and the rest are already covered . Besides if it gets that bad I'll let the youngsters fight over whats left. JMO
  • Long Island N.Y.
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
RWS D460  .177  
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?