values of airguns

Author Topic: values of airguns  (Read 36554 times))

Offline tweedking

• ex-para-mental builder
  • Marksman
  • yes
values of airguns
« on: December 23, 2014, 03:53:21 AM »
so this is very subjective and just my opinion: the value of an airgun is approx. = (blue book value) - (10% for being not new in box) - (5% for modifications in any way, excluding sights) - (2% for anything not .177cal) +/- (2% for scope/peep/other sights) = (blue book value) - (up to 15-19%)

just my thoughts about what i will pay. (Crosman 13xx and 22xx, may be exceptions...but not immune)

correction: what you will part with $-wise is the perceived value. what an owner wants for their gun is not of any consequence if he can not get a buyer to pay the $$$$.

if you buy a new car for $50,000  and put $100,00 into parts and then try to sell it for $150,000, buyers will balk all day long about the 3X  MSRP junk-bucket that the greedy owner want to unload.

if you think your gun is worth 850 but the sales in the market show only sales under 300 you might not have a gun worth 850, like you think. more like 350, as the market dictates. you can hold on til someone gives you 850, but you will likely see inflation eat your profit (over 40 years), or you'll cave-into the lower price.

thanks,
rob
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:21:14 AM by tweedking »
  • ol' fred, I. T., south planes, north america, once a place
(Left to Right) 1- 1974 - 880 resto-mod, 2 - modern 77xs+daisy880+ Shrouded Scoped Carbine, and 3 - stock crosman 1377+1399 stock (classic combo...) as favorites.

Offline Racer X

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: values of airguns
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »
In 1992 I bought a Beeman P1 20th annavercery ait pistol. With the scope and bag. I remember it was expensive but of all the junk I have bought. It is the only thing I have that has held its value
  • Iowa
Custom 2300T
1968 Crosman Mark II
Daisy 1894
Air Arms Tx 200 mk III .177
Red Ryder 75th annavercery
Flying Dragon XS46U .22 full tune by Mike Melick
Browning Leverage .177
Benjamin Trail NP22
IZH-61.177
Beeman p1 magnum.177
20th anniversary
Tanfoglio Whiteness  1911
Beeman Tempest.177
1934 buck Jones
710 pump from when I was nine.

Offline stonykill

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Just a hunter always looking to improve his skills
    • Daisy Air Rifle Modifications
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »
 IMHO the value of an air gun is the amount of money you will take to part with it, or the amount of money you are willing to pay for it.
  • Upstate NY

Offline ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive Administrator
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »
IMHO the value of an air gun is the amount of money you will take to part with it, or the amount of money you are willing to pay for it.

THAT'S the answer in a nutshell.
:)
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:49:48 AM »

;) X2 After awhile in this sport most know the approximate "real" value of a particular adult AG and are willing to sell or purchase for that price or near it. a little back and forth haggling and both parties are satisfied. Then there are those that refuse to acknowledge the true worth of a particular rifle or pistol and will make a less than realistic offer in the hope that the seller is desperate or the buyer has no clue as to its particular value. At the end of the day it is we as the buyer or seller to negotiate the deal that works for us.
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline Booger

• Media
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Deceased
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »

Recently I bought a tuned .22 HW97K & a tuned .25 MROD for $525 each, and was happy. I then decided I wanted to go mostly .177 for personal reasons. I traded the HW97K for a Santa Rosa R1 & the MROD for a tuned .177 HW97K and I couldn't be happier. Some may say I lost on the deal, some may say I made out like a bandit. So a lot of it has to do with what you want & what shows up at the time. If you are honest with the buyer/seller everything will work out. :)
  • Rice, Texas
.177 Puffers
Daystate MK4
MROD Rocker tuned
Varmint F/S
.22 Puffers
Daystate Air Wolf MTC F/S $1865 + shipping & Ins
Jumpers:
.22 Diana K98
.22 Hatsan 95
.177 NP2 Upgrade Trigger F/S $175 Shipped

Heirloom:
.177 Pro Sport 12 FPE - Rowan Eng. set back trigger, alum trigger guard, adj butt pad, tuned with Maccari parts, refinished stock that is amazing.
Sun Optics 4-14X44  FFP really nice scope.

Offline Pappy

• Expert
  • Beware of the person with only one gun!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »
Actually, however, just my humble opinion, the only value an air gun may have, is what someone is willing to pay for it.  You may not want to part with it for less than (x) amount, but in reality, you only get what the buyer is willing to pay for it.  Yes, very subjective, and pricing is being based off a very small, niche, market.

Allan
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Offline DavidS

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »
While I will not pay much for an AirGun, that is because I can not afford to.    So I do not measure the value in cash.

For me the measure of value of an AirGun is:
Value=(How_well_it_puts_food_on_the_table + ((2 * enjoyment_provided)/3) + (100 / purchase_price))/3

This is not a cash value, it is a true value with nothing to do with money (other than the lower the cost of a rifle for it providing food and enjoyment the better it is).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:52:19 AM by DavidS »

Offline zandrew

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »
Is there a blue book for airguns?

I keep all my boxes...
  • WV
Since you can read this thank a teacher, since its English thank a veteran....

Since Hitler had a picture of Henry Ford on his wall then whom did Henry Ford have a picture of on his wall?

Offline ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive Administrator
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
Is there a blue book for airguns?

I keep all my boxes...

Yep...there is.
http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Airgun_Values/
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

Offline bbv13

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »

That pretty much sums things up.

I've noticed the price of vintage guns like old Benjamin's, Sheridans and some Crosmans steadily climbing in the short time I've been collecting. I believe they were under valued possibly because of the recession or maybe the recession held back the prices for awhile?

Bryan
  • NC

Offline f4milytime

• ***GTA Disciple***
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
Like cars, you never really get back, what you put into it. Kind of a bummer actually, sometimes it's better to just keep it.

Offline North Country Gal

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
I really don't go by book values on any of the used guns we buy, air guns or otherwise. In this day and age of internet sales, the used gun market is highly volatile. Books are typically outdated by the time they are in print. I find books more valuable for the model listings they include, but even with that, I encounter a lot of mistakes.

As to air guns, specifically, in our area, air guns are a very minor market. When I do find one for sale at a local shop, it usually goes cheap because demand is so low. The other side of the coin, of course, is that you can hardly give an air gun away around here. Most of our local shooters are pretty ignorant about air guns.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:26:52 PM by North Country Gal »
  • Rhinelander, Wi

Offline avator

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »
When something comes along that I like or want. I look at the price then look in my wallet. If the two match and the bills are paid I buy. If they don't match I ask the seller if he might take a little less. If he does, we have a deal. If not, the search continues, no hard feelings. Only we know what we are willing to pay and what we are willing to sell for. And alot of times it just boils down to what we can afford.
From time to time I run accross people looking to buy an airgun and they just want to plink or pest around the house. After finding out what they intend to use it for, I ask how much they want to spend. If I have something that I am willing to let go of, I sell it. If not, I try to refer them to somewhere they can get it at a good price. I enjoy this hobby/sport and I enjoy watching others enjoy it. If I can encourage that with a few bucks here and there, I find it very rewarding.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama
Favorite Everyday Shooters:
Sam Yang Sumatra 2500 carbine .25
Urban .22
AirMax Varmint w/ .22 CP-2 long barrel
AirMax Plinkster .177
CP1 .177 Mini Carbine
CP2 w/ .177 Varmint long barrel
XS-60C GenI .22
2-22XX Carbine HPA .177
2240 Stubby .22
Blaze NP .177
3-M/M Daisy 881
2-Mendoza RM377 .177
2-XS-12 .177
1-Hatsan 1000x .177 Carbine (Pvt. Stryker)
Various Others

AirMax Extreme MKII 4500 (for the tanks)
Vevor Basic. (for the road)
Vintage - too many to list

Offline Pappy

• Expert
  • Beware of the person with only one gun!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
While I will not pay much for an AirGun, that is because I can not afford to.    So I do not measure the value in cash.

Value=(How_well_it_puts_food_on_the_table + ((2 * enjoyment_provided)/3) + (100 / purchase_price))/3

This is not a cash value, it is a true value with nothing to do with money (other than the lower the cost of a rifle for it providing food and enjoyment the better it is).

Wow, this perspective was interesting.  I don't have to put food on my table via an airgun, but I respect the person that may have to.  However, with that said, if my family getting fed, depended on my airgun, "dang" well be the best. most accurate available ... apparently if I miss, the family goes without a meal.  Not going to be frugal, when it comes to this gun.
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Offline DavidS

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 11:29:55 PM »

Wow, this perspective was interesting.  I don't have to put food on my table via an airgun, but I respect the person that may have to.  However, with that said, if my family getting fed, depended on my airgun, "dang" well be the best. most accurate available ... apparently if I miss, the family goes without a meal.  Not going to be frugal, when it comes to this gun.
My $45 Daisy 880's do the job and provide more than we can eat.   My Daisy 22X that was a gift is also capable of providing more than we can eat.

It does not take a high dolor AG to do the job.   The key is the person behind the gun more than the gun.

Offline lefteyeshot

• without hope, without fear
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »
The packing, boxing and going to the post office or ups. I'll just keep'em. I mailed an old B3 with a scope, a Limbsaver recoil pad and an AK sling to a friend in up sate N.Y. for nothing. Back in August I gave a Titan Gp, a B3 and a B1 to a young guy just starting into A/G's. Then I sold him one of my QB57 cheap. Couple of month's ago I took 9 guns to a fun shoot priced cheap(like $40 for a X20s). Only one guy said he wanted one but didn't have the money. When we were all getting ready to go home I gave it to him. Wife says I have to many then complains when I give'em away. Tried to get her to buy me a Diana 470th for Christmas. She can afford it. Got some after shave and a pair of dress slacks( She don't like my carpenter jeans when we go out. Jesus was a carpenter) But I got me a QB78 Deluxe modified to hpa. Snuck it in. Can't miss.
  • Savannah, Ga.
SPRINGERS:
Diana 470th,56th,350PC,250 .22
Terrus
RWS 93,320
Dominator 200S carbine, 135,155
ES92
Arrowhead .22(Jap.)
BSA SS SE
Tommy
Norica Massimo .22, Black Eagle
CZ631,634
Hammerli X2 dual cal.
Mendoza RM 3000 .22 ,600,577,377
RM2800 .22/2000 .22 brk brl repeaters
Remington Express
SilentCat GRT
Swarm GRT
Shadow1000 GRT
Beeman: RS2,Mach12.5,2016W DB .177/.22
AirHawkElite
BlackHawkElite in bamboo
Storm in Ben.TH.stock,GRT
Storm GRT
Win.1100, 1000, 800
2 TF99,2 89,59GRT
B40,21,20,B26-2 MM
2 B3,B4-2,B2
2 QB6,B4-1,2 QB57,2 TS45,2 Fastdeer,
2 B3-1AK,QB89,B6Z
GAS RAM:
Proxima
Rem. 777SB
Striker
CO2:  
AR2078
2260MB .22
EIB .177(Jap.)
Armscor .22(phil.)
Zogunz Hawk 010 .22 (Phil.)

Offline stonykill

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Just a hunter always looking to improve his skills
    • Daisy Air Rifle Modifications
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 08:20:31 AM »

It does not take a high dolor AG to do the job.   The key is the person behind the gun more than the gun.

This sums it up right there. The person behind the gun. I put food on the table and pest with air guns most put their noses down to. My Gamo Big Cat .22 which is not tuned and has the stock trigger kills anything I aim it at, from woodchucks down. My lowly Daisy 880 outperforms all of my Crosmans and also kills whatever it is pointed at, from rabbits on down. The price of the AG does not make it more or less capable. The capability lies in the one holding said weapon.

Well said David.

• Upstate NY

Offline regularguy11B

• Livin' the Dream
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 09:42:06 AM »

That pretty much sums things up.

I've noticed the price of vintage guns like old Benjamin's, Sheridans and some Crosmans steadily climbing in the short time I've been collecting. I believe they were under valued possibly because of the recession or maybe the recession held back the prices for awhile?

Bryan

I always felt that they were under valued as well.  If i had a vintage benji or 'dan that shot hard and was still accurate, in fairly decent shape, it would take more than a couple hundred bucks for me to part with it.  And even then, I'd think twice about letting it go... only if i absolutely needed the money for something a whole lot more important
  • Texas
-Bryan

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
 ;D While I agree that the shooter is a key factor in the end result of where the projectile ends up be it a well placed head shot on a pest or food for the dinner table. Where I disagree is in viewing another shooters choice as being a poor one we choose our rifles based on budget and and desire. I will not tell someone that my rifle is the better rifle than another persons because I simply do not know what motivates his choices. For me and where I am in my life it is about function and beauty. For utility and reasonable power I have a Marauder .25 synthetic stock. I also have a Daisy 880 that I shoot and plan On making a wood stock and fore stock for . Now I pose a question which is the better rifle?
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?