East Texas

Author Topic: East Texas  (Read 10981 times))

Offline HCAirgunner

• Diana P5 Enthusiast
  • Plinker
  • yes
    • The Scientific Airgunner
East Texas
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »
I'm looking for people in East Texas who want to start an "airgun club;" nothing too formal, just good folks getting together and shooting good airguns, telling good stories, and having a generally good time :D

I am in the Longview, Texas area. I want to keep the drive down to a minimum, so I am looking for folks within a 25 mile radius of Longview.

I will bump this thread occasionally to keep it active.

Chris
  • Marshall, Texas
Christopher aka The Hardcore Airgunner

Diana P5 Magnum (.177) x2 (One for me, one for my son) ~5 FPE ea.
Diana 5G Early West Germany Variant (.177) ~5 FPE.
Hatsan Model 25 Supercharger (.22) ~8 FPE.
Diana Model 27 (.177) D.R.P.a. (Circa 1934) ~7 FPE.
Crosman Titan GP (.22) ~15 FPE.
Benjamin 342 Tootsie Roll (.22) Circa 1970 [Restored by Smith Airgun Repair.] ~ (?) FPE (Not yet tested.)

Offline Oldgringo

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: East Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
I share your interest but Rusk is some 70-80 miles to the southwest of Longview and with diesel at $4/gallon, well you know.... ::)
  • Pineywoods of east Texas
Gittin' old beats not gittin' old!

Offline Oldgringo

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
How 'bout it, Chris?  Have you heard from anyone else in the Pineywoods?

Offline HCAirgunner

• Diana P5 Enthusiast
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
Unfortunately, no. It looks like, for now, I am a one-man show.

I would have thought there'd be more airgunners here; every other month, there is a gun show in either Marshall, Longview, Shreveport, or Center.

Of course, at the gun range I shoot at, I am an oddity; most people are there to shoot firearms. However, more than 1 person has expressed an interest in the Hatsan (the one I shoot the most.)

However, the gunsmith at the range I shoot at, who goes by "Bennie," is from South Africa, and is a former amateur competitor in air rifle; he favors the FWBs. He thinks that what I am doing is great, and he loves working on airguns. However, he is heavily into selling AR-15 "bug-out kits," and that takes up the majority of his time.

But I will keep looking, and waiting. Gotta be another East Texas airgunner somewhere! :)

• Marshall, Texas

Benjamin 342 Tootsie Roll (.22) Circa 1970 [Restored by Smith Airgun Repair.] ~ (?) FPE (Not yet tested.)

Offline ScottB

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »
I'm in Shreveport. A little farther away than you wanted. My son and I are the only ones that I know of around here that shoot air rifles.

Offline pcairhunter

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »
I'm here!!! TYLER TX. I hunted in the desert of California with airguns! (beaumont .308) we hunted Jackrabbits and Coyotes!!! I moved here 3 years ago and got hooked on powder burners, and sold my airguns and now I'm back from the Dark side!!:)  i have a DAQ. .50 cal and looking to get a 9mm recluse at some point. I love to shoot my airguns and modifiyng PCP air guns and making parts etc. looking forward to meeting others in this area.
  • tx

Offline klikmaus

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
Hunt county checking in!
As I already posted in the DFW thread, I'm all for an informal air gun club and I'm on acreage.
  • Wolfe City

Offline HCAirgunner

• Diana P5 Enthusiast
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »
Yeah, I am beginning to see that "East Texas" is a larger area than I first imagined! Ha ha ha!

Hunt County is still a bit remote for me.

Even Tyler is a bit more than I wanted to drive. (38 miles distant.)

But thanks, guys, for responding. I hope you all find ways to form clubs in your areas! And I wish you all the best!

• Marshall, Texas

Offline Oldgringo

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:24 PM »
I looked into the Kermit Air Gun group.  Forget that, Kermit is nearly 600 miles from Rusk although it's still in Texas.   :o

Offline Pappywith4

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:40:04 PM »
I am from Chandler just 8 miles west of Tyler and new to springer type air guns ,I BOUGHT A HATSAN 125 vortex sniper in .22 cal. . I would be interested in doing something like that.  John
  • Zavalla, Texas
John Cormier
Hatsan 125 vortex sniper in .22 Self tuned and sweetened!
I Live with Fear everyday and some days she lets me go fishing!

pkuz

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:25:12 AM »
Hi, I live in Pittsburg, Tx, between a little north Of Tyler and Longview.  I'm back to a springer (for starters) after many years away for airgunning.  I'd love to get together for some shootin' and sharing.  Please let us know if, when, and how something gets started...

Offline HCAirgunner

• Diana P5 Enthusiast
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
Ok, in the past I have said that I was in the "Longview Area," simply for privacy reasons. But I have thought it over, and have decided to post my actual city (Marshall) on my profile.

(It's not about not trusting you guys... there are a lot of "lurkers" who read the boards without ever becoming a member.)

But I have come to the decision that there comes a point where caution becomes paranoia. How am I ever going to find people to shoot with if I don't disclose my actual location? LOL :D

Basically, I want to stay within a 40-mile radius of Marshall. I'll drive to Gladewater (West), Henderson (South), Linden (North) and I'll drive to Shreveport (East). Anything further is getting a bit far. (At least on a regular basis... I'd be willing to drive further for a "once a year" event, if such an event could be organized / receive enough interest.)

So to the guy from Shreveport above who responded, why not send me a PM? :)

P.S. OleTomCat: It seems (from a Google search) that the only place in Henderson that someone could shoot would be Kat Kreek Hunting Club & Sporting Clays. Do you know anything about that club? Are they shotguns only? Or do you think they'd allow airguns? Let me know.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:57:28 PM by HCAirgunner »
  • Marshall, Texas

Offline Hairsmith

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »
Hi Chris and other here in east Texas.
I am farther south than Chris is talking about but decided I would jump in here. I am new to the forum but not to airguns been messing with them for years but recently have gotten more into PCP's
Located in Nacogdoches.....

Hairsmith
  • Nacogdoches Texas

Offline David 2Tired

• Shooter
  • If.......
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
I'm in Henderson and would be interrested in being part of a group.  Like others, fuel is high but a "monthly" get together would be nice.  There seems to be some interrest yet begs the question..... where we gonna shoot?  You can forget Kat Creek by the way.
  • Texas

Offline HCAirgunner

• Diana P5 Enthusiast
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »
Is Kat Creek shotguns only? Or out of business? Or bad customer service? Etc.? [Just Curious.]

Is there any other range in or near Henderson? I know a lot of ranges are not even listed on the internet, that's why I'm asking you. :D

Thanks.

• Marshall, Texas

Offline Qdoggus

• 11B
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
I'm looking for people in East Texas who want to start an "airgun club;" nothing too formal, just good folks getting together and shooting good airguns, telling good stories, and having a generally good time :D

I am in the Longview, Texas area. I want to keep the drive down to a minimum, so I am looking for folks within a 25 mile radius of Longview.

I will bump this thread occasionally to keep it active.

Chris

I wish I would have known about this forum three months ago when I lived in Longview. I'm in Rusk now so I'm outside your intended AO. I see there is another Rusk dweller here though.
  • Rusk, TX
Airforce Condor .308
Evanix Rex Rifle .357
Evanix Rex-P .257 carbine

Offline Oldgringo

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 12:52:50 AM »
Once upon a time, not too long ago, there was a small group of guys who got together to shoot air rifles on Sunday afternoons.  When we get back to Rusk, in October, I'll see if this group has any continued interest in air guns and if that range is still available.

ITMT,.......?

Offline Qdoggus

• 11B
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 03:12:31 AM »
Once upon a time, not too long ago, there was a small group of guys who got together to shoot air rifles on Sunday afternoons.  When we get back to Rusk, in October, I'll see if this group has any continued interest in air guns and if that range is still available.

ITMT,.......?

Sounds good to me. Be warned, I like to learn.
  • Rusk, TX
Airforce Condor .308
Evanix Rex Rifle .357
Evanix Rex-P .257 carbine

Offline Oldgringo

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 11:32:37 PM »
I've been kinda' keepin' an eye on this thread to see if any east Texas interest has surfaced.  Alas, it appears not.  We'll be home in another week or so.... :-\

Offline David 2Tired

• Shooter
  • If.......
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »

ITMT,.......?

I'm still interrested Greg.  Just need a range and some company.  Let us hear from you when y'all get back.
  • Texas

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.