Pyramyd Air
Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets

Author Topic: Missing Screw - HELP!  (Read 524 times))

Online Garandsx5

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: Missing Screw - HELP!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 07:12:47 AM »
Check out your local Fastenal branch store. They will have the tools to find your thread size.
  • Mt. Blanchard Ohio

Offline Rob C

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »
Any luck finding out what size screw you need?
If it's smaller than a #8, it could be a 6-32 or a 6-40 or possibly even a 5-40 or 5-44.(or even metric) We have drawers of screws at work. If you find out what it is and can't find it locally, send me a PM and I'll check to see if we have it and get it to you.
  • USA, PA, Horsham
When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.
Chief Tecumseh

Offline AFVeteran

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 10:45:10 AM »
If it's smaller than a #8, it could be a 6-32 or a 6-40 or possibly even a 5-40 or 5-44.(or even metric) We have drawers of screws at work. If you find out what it is and can't find it locally, send me a PM and I'll check to see if we have it and get it to you.

Thanks, but I just don't know the size. I've contacted Daisy several times for the size and haven't gotten a response. I also contacted Truglo who makes the sight and am still waiting for a response from them as well. The really frustrating thing is that I have been sent two sights from Daisy both of which were sent without the screw and Daisy confirms the sight should come with the screw. I have a few other sight options for the rifle, but I really wanted to try the open sights for plinking.
  • US, DE, Middletown
Freedom Through Vigilance

Offline Rob C

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 09:42:59 PM »

Thanks, but I just don't know the size. I've contacted Daisy several times for the size and haven't gotten a response. I also contacted Truglo who makes the sight and am still waiting for a response from them as well. The really frustrating thing is that I have been sent two sights from Daisy both of which were sent without the screw and Daisy confirms the sight should come with the screw. I have a few other sight options for the rifle, but I really wanted to try the open sights for plinking.

Is the part small enough that you could easily mail it? I'd be glad to take it to work and figure out what screw you need. If it's an oddball thread, I could always set it up and re-tap to a common thread. Let me know if you're interested.
  • USA, PA, Horsham
When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.
Chief Tecumseh

Offline AFVeteran

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 10:38:32 PM »

Is the part small enough that you could easily mail it? I'd be glad to take it to work and figure out what screw you need. If it's an oddball thread, I could always set it up and re-tap to a common thread. Let me know if you're interested.

That's very generous, thank you.  I'm still waiting for Truglo to respond, and if I don't get an answer from them I can always take the barrel weight to the hardware store and do some trial and error fits. I could always drill it out larger and tap it myself if need be, but I just keep hoping Daisy or Truglo will come through. Right now I put a scope on the rifle and will do with that.
  • US, DE, Middletown

Offline AFVeteran

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 04:04:26 PM »
Might be making some progress. Truglo responded with a request to send them a picture of the sight. I hope this doesn't turn into one of those jokes like the one about the farmer and the chicks and the soil sample!  :(
  • US, DE, Middletown

Offline AFVeteran

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 06:03:32 PM »
Well, I hit the end of the line with Truglo.

Here's the response I got back after sending them pictures and measurements of the Daisy sight which Daisy lists as TRUGLO Fiber Optic sight:

"Upon review of the picture provided we were able to determine that although Daisy could be using TRUGLO fiber, the front sight housing itself isnít a TRUGLO product.
At this time we donít have the information youíre searching for.
"

And here's a catalog entry from Daisy showing the sight on a 953 with a TRUGLO Fiber Optic sight. This is the sight I ordered and shows on the Daisy invoice as a Truglo sight.  It just gets curiouser and curiouser:o

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:06:56 PM by AFVeteran »
  • US, DE, Middletown

Offline Rob C

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
It stinks that you're getting the run-around over a simple screw. At this point, I would drill it out and re-tap it to a common thread. Then you know what you've got.
  • USA, PA, Horsham
Chief Tecumseh

Online Garandsx5

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
Have you gotten to your local Fastenal store yet?
  • Mt. Blanchard Ohio

Offline AFVeteran

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »
Have you gotten to your local Fastenal store yet?

Never heard of them, but I'm going to drill and tap for a readily available screw.
  • US, DE, Middletown