Texan .257 and a Very Windy Day At The Range

Author Topic: Texan .257 and a Very Windy Day At The Range  (Read 336 times))

Offline Loren

• Marksman
  • yes
Texan .257 and a Very Windy Day At The Range
« on: February 03, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
It was a very warm Feb. day here is Oz (Kansas) today with temps reaching the 60's, although it was windy with winds gusting over 20+mph.  Not really ideal conditions for shooting and making a guys shooting ego feel good, but the temps were a gift and my son asked to go shooting.  Nothing like gusting winds to serve up humble pie....lol

Shooting at 200 yards with cast bullets from Arsenal mold 257388 85 Grain Spitzer Bullets.  Sized to .257 and weight sorted.  Everything we shot was between 85.5-85.7 grains.    Tethered to the tank with regulator shooting about 3000psi.   This setup I have clocked at 1010-1030 fps.

My youngest son shooting the Texan.

Kind of the best targets that you could call "groups"  We did get lucky and hit the black bullseye a few times, but it was like a blind squirrel finding a nut today.
Targets are printed on 8.5x11 sheets for reference.

• Kansas

Offline dmeguy

• Marksman
  • Aim small!
Re: Texan .257 and a Very Windy Day At The Range
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »
Considering the wind we had today, that's pretty impressive!

I love the looks of that rifle! Is that an Emperor with extension taming the bark?
  • Arkansas City, KS
GAMO CFX .177 | Benjamin Trail NP AW .22 | Crosman 1322 | The Reverend - Cothran Powered Reverse Bottle .30 | Benjamin Discovery .22 | Powermaster 66 | Pumpmaster 760 | 2250 Based .177 PCP | Daisy 880 | P17

Offline Loren

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:08:34 PM »
Thanks!

Yes the wind was rough, couldn't even hold still at the bench.  It is the Emperor with the extension. It makes the rifle really quiet!!! Us and the range range officer were the only ones at the 200 yard range so no ear pro needed after he got done sighting in a new PB.  The R.O. was curious about it wanted to know what projectile it was using, how loud it was without the supperssor...etc.  I let him shoot it once, and he "dang" near nailed the bullseye and also pulled the suppresor off and shot one round.  The quietness is very deceptive of the power.  The bullets hitting the berm were kicking up a lot of mud even at 200 yards.
  • Kansas

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:42:58 AM »
Apologies for possible thread hacking- but who made that stock??  It looks wonderful!
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline Loren

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks Tom!

I made it.  Look through here for build photos and more of the rifle. https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=150142.100
  • Kansas

Offline Steveoh

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 10:11:48 AM »
200 yards in the wind? Good shooting!

I have a .257 Texan with Maddog Stock. Fun air rifle.  Iíve only gotten out to shoot in once but am chomping at the bit to get out with it again.

Texan came with a bunch of cast 257420 72 grain bullets. I got the Arsenal Mold that they were made from. Best group of the day was 1 1/4Ē at 100yards. (Kevin shot that group) I hit steel at 200 yards no sweat, but Iíd not call it a group.

My buddy Kevin, has a .308 Texan and he has a lot experience with these rifles. Warned me that Iíll need to delead the barrel after 50 or so shots and that was spot on. We both take our cleaning supplies on a shoot.

I will say the Texan is so much fun, uses way less air than my DAQs, and much less lead than the .458 and .58.  Awesome accurate and powerful rifle.

Iíll probably be getting a Neal Clague shroud for my Texan.
  • Benicia, CA
RWS Diana 350 Feuerkraft Compact Pro .22
Sumatra Carbine .25
Tolman Skiff
Marauder .25
Quackenbush .458 LA Outlaw
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw Pistol
Quackenbush .58 LA Outlaw
Citrus .257
Airforce Texan .257
Bunch of Crosman Pistols

Offline Loren

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »

My buddy Kevin, has a .308 Texan and he has a lot experience with these rifles. Warned me that Iíll need to delead the barrel after 50 or so shots and that was spot on. We both take our cleaning supplies on a shoot.

I will say the Texan is so much fun, uses way less air than my DAQs, and much less lead than the .458 and .58.  Awesome accurate and powerful rifle.

I will have to take a look at the barrel and see it if is fouled.  I did fire lap the barrel with about 50 rounds of progressively finer lapping compound to help prevent fouling.

I agree the rifle does very well with economic air consumption.   
  • Kansas

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:25:02 PM »
Thanks Tom!

I made it.  Look through here for build photos and more of the rifle. https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=150142.100

Gorgeous!!  Good shooting, in the wind!  That is a fine rifle you have there!!
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 02:04:18 AM »
200 yards in the wind? Good shooting!

I have a .257 Texan with Maddog Stock. Fun air rifle.  Iíve only gotten out to shoot in once but am chomping at the bit to get out with it again.

Texan came with a bunch of cast 257420 72 grain bullets. I got the Arsenal Mold that they were made from. Best group of the day was 1 1/4Ē at 100yards. (Kevin shot that group) I hit steel at 200 yards no sweat, but Iíd not call it a group.

Iíll probably be getting a Neal Clague shroud for my Texan.

Your gonna Love that Neil Clague. I have the first one he built for the Talon/Dors. Does a fine job! ;) 8)

Knife
  • Central Texas

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 02:08:16 AM »

I will have to take a look at the barrel and see it if is fouled.  I did fire lap the barrel with about 50 rounds of progressively finer lapping compound to help prevent fouling.

I agree the rifle does very well with economic air consumption.

good on you for Fire Lapping the bore! Don't forget to give it a very good patching for quite a while with either Flitz metal polish for final bit. Or JB bore paste followed by JB Bore bright.

Be fore Fire lapping my bore, 25-40 shots were all it could get before the fouling was an issue. After the fire lapping, and final polish with flitz, it is 200-25 rounds. Even more in the Rainstorm .250 and .257 barrels.

Re doing the crown is a must after the treatments for best accuracy.  ;)

Mike
  • Central Texas

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: