.357 Slayer from American Air Arms

Author Topic: .357 Slayer from American Air Arms  (Read 1500 times))

Offline triggertreat

• 2017 GTA Fun Shoot Winner (PCP class)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ⊙ Aim high and shoot far ☆
.357 Slayer from American Air Arms
« on: December 09, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »

I am very impressed with the AAA .357 Slayer.  Tom has done an amazing job in building this gun.  The fit and finish is top notch.  I am very pleased at how light it is, how well it shoulders and how smooth and easy it is to cock.  I received the Slayer yesterday so I have only taken a few quick shots with it so far in the backyard un-scoped.  It is very powerful and I have no doubts now that it will be the perfect hog and deer hunting gun I have been searching for to replace my very loud .270 PB.  It is not backyard friendly for close neighbors, but I knew that going in being it's a 275-300 FPE gun.  It is not that overly loud either, and much quieter than my PB, which is great and what I was wanting. 

I came across this slightly reduced priced right hand version but was wanting a left hand version, but with the really easy cocking effort, I'm not really having an issue with it being a right hand version.  This is my first experience with a bull pup and can say already that I really like it over the longer traditional style guns.  I am in search for a scope for this Slayer before I sight it in and put it in front of a chronograph to check its tune.

• TN
Great are you Lord.  It's your breath in our lungs, so I'll follow and praise you only.

22 Marauder Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
30 Shots @ 31.02 FPE Avg., 1.36% ES, 1.58 FPE/CI
JSAR MDS Hammer, TSS and LW Air Tube mods.  MMHF barrel
UTG compact SWAT 4-16x44 IR SFP
25 Marauder Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs:
24 Shots @ 55.94 FPE Avg., 1.96% ES, 1.49 FPE/CI
JSAR SS Valve, MDS Hammer, TSS and LW Air Tube mods.
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 IR FFP
357 Slayer Unregulated. Tuned using NSA 142gr:
4 shots @ 275.60 FPE Avg., 2.33% ES, 1.23 FPE/CI
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56 FFP
DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Air Venturi 4500 psi compressor
Stickman fill assembly
60 min & 30 min 4500 psi CF tanks

Click here to download a Free Spreadsheet App (New Rev 05 ver. 11-16-18)

Online Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: .357 Slayer from American Air Arms
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »
Cool, looking forward to hear you long term thoughts.
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix Tactical Sniper     .50   200 FPE
Evanix Blizzard II             .357 140 FPE
Evanix REX Carbine           .357 150 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine     .357  90  FPE
Evanix Model 70                   .30    85 FPE
Evanix Storm II Mini-Carbine .30    70 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II             .25    80 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II            .25    70 FPE
Evanix Air Speed                .22    20 FPE

Offline oneshot61

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »
They really make a nice rifle. If they ever build the .308 high power rifle Iím in. Looking forward to your review and tuning.
  • Eufaula Alabama
A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an opinion.

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "EXPERIENCE" ... Our Reward For Lifes Mistakes
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:21:46 PM »
WOOF !!!
I got to shoot the Slayer a few years ago when Tom was early in his manufacturing ... IMPRESSIVE guns to be sure.
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline screwwork

• N.U.A.H. Marksman
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:16:55 AM »
Nice looking Slayer Keith!
Looking forward to hearing what you think about it when you get a scope on it and out shooting it.
  • Nor-Cal
177. Airmax MK II pistol
177. 1720T Carbine
22. 1322, pistol/carbine 
22. P-rod, double tubed,  MM HF barrel 
      Second breech - 177. Mrod barrel
25. Mini-rod, 13cu tank
      Second breech - 22. Mrod barrel
357 Slayer

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 04:55:12 PM »
They really make a nice rifle. If they ever build the .308 high power rifle Iím in. Looking forward to your review and tuning.

Yes, the rifles do look really nice, but not available currently.  When they do become available, I'd say they will go quick.  In my conversation with Tom, I do remember him saying that he was making some moves to help with build times.  These are basically custom built CNC machined guns that are of the highest quality and they do take time to build and make.  I really do like that they are American made.

I have been checking the Slayer platform out in a little more detail and can tell you the build quality in this platform is of really high quality.  It's very easy to hold off hand and shoot.  It is short, light, and is super easy to cock with about a 3lb cocking force.  The cocking lever is so smooth it falls forward all on its own when no slug is being seated.  The mags are all metal and work very smoothly.  They also lock into place with two slots/pins so there's no guess work there.

The balanced valve is externally adjustable for dwell timing, and the hammer spring is externally adjustable for fine tuning.  The trigger is also externally adjustable for both the 1st and 2nd stages along with the trigger over travel.  There is an adjustment for the trigger position, but that is not externally adjustable.  The Slayer has a pull system for the trigger connecting rod instead of a push system like many bull pups with creeping triggers that I've read about.  I'm no expert but can say the trigger is very smooth with a crisp clean break.  I may need to adjust mine a little because it is very light on the 2nd stage for a hunter with this much power.

I really like that is has a very stout/rigid cantilever scope mount which makes the entire barrel and shroud free floated from everything else.  The TJ barrel is tensioned so no set screws holding the barrel in place.  The shroud and barrel are very rigid.  It has a solid backbone running all the way across the bottom that supports everything above it.  It's hard to believe it has a 400cc titanium tank in there but it does.  A very well designed gun.

If you ever decide to get a bull pup, you wont believe just how light and well balanced they are not to mention the power they have.  It has a five position butt stock for a custom fit that I really like.  My Marauder is a tank compared to the way the Slayer feels shouldered even though it weighs the same as my Synrod.  I thought the Slayer would have a lot more recoil, and it does have some but nothing like what I was thinking for the power it has.
  • TN
Great are you Lord.  It's your breath in our lungs, so I'll follow and praise you only.

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline PeterL

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 05:35:36 PM »

Yes, the rifles do look really nice, but not available currently.  When they do become available, I'd say they will go quick.  In my conversation with Tom, I do remember him saying that he was making some moves to help with build times.  These are basically custom built CNC machined guns that are of the highest quality and they do take time to build and make.  I really do like that they are American made.

I have been checking the Slayer platform out in a little more detail and can tell you the build quality in this platform is of really high quality.  It's very easy to hold off hand and shoot.  It is short, light, and is super easy to cock with about a 3lb cocking force.  The cocking lever is so smooth it falls forward all on its own when no slug is being seated.  The mags are all metal and work very smoothly.  They also lock into place with two slots/pins so there's no guess work there.

The balanced valve is externally adjustable for dwell timing, and the hammer spring is externally adjustable for fine tuning.  The trigger is also externally adjustable for both the 1st and 2nd stages along with the trigger over travel.  There is an adjustment for the trigger position, but that is not externally adjustable.  The Slayer has a pull system for the trigger connecting rod instead of a push system like many bull pups with creeping triggers that I've read about.  I'm no expert but can say the trigger is very smooth with a crisp clean break.  I may need to adjust mine a little because it is very light on the 2nd stage for a hunter with this much power.

I really like that is has a very stout/rigid cantilever scope mount which makes the entire barrel and shroud free floated from everything else.  The TJ barrel is tensioned so no set screws holding the barrel in place.  The shroud and barrel are very rigid.  It has a solid backbone running all the way across the bottom that supports everything above it.  It's hard to believe it has a 400cc titanium tank in there but it does.  A very well designed gun.

If you ever decide to get a bull pup, you wont believe just how light and well balanced they are not to mention the power they have.  It has a five position butt stock for a custom fit that I really like.  My Marauder is a tank compared to the way the Slayer feels shouldered even though it weighs the same as my Synrod.  I thought the Slayer would have a lot more recoil, and it does have some but nothing like what I was thinking for the power it has.

Very good info Keith. Iíve been looking at their big bores as well but just cannot get to liking the looks of the Bullpup. When or IF they decide to come out with a rifle, then theyíll have a customer.  Until then, Iíll just read your experience with the Bullpup and gage from there.

Peter
  • TX, USA

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 06:51:25 PM »

I here ya.  It's best to get what you really want at these price levels.  I did want an all black bull pup with an adjustable LOP so I'm very happy with the Slayer.  Pretty woods on traditional stocks are nice to look at for sure, but not as practical for my hunting needs as I have a unique situation with one of my arms from a birth defect.  My non-adjustable traditional Marauder stocks have always been an issue for me.  The bull pup is what I really needed and I will probably stick with bull pups from here on out seeing's now how much better of a fit they are for me and also how much more well balanced they are   A traditional stock with an adjustable LOP would probably work too, but the selections on them are slim with all of the features I would want.  I remember Tom Costan saying that those that don't like bull pups have probably never shot one.  I totally agree with his statement on that.
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Online Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »
I can't think of a better built gun then the AmericanAirArms is offering.
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix Tactical Sniper     .50   200 FPE
Evanix Blizzard II             .357 140 FPE
Evanix REX Carbine           .357 150 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine     .357  90  FPE
Evanix Model 70                   .30    85 FPE
Evanix Storm II Mini-Carbine .30    70 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II             .25    80 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II            .25    70 FPE
Evanix Air Speed                .22    20 FPE

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »
I can't think of a better built gun then the AmericanAirArms is offering.

I have been hee hawing around for quite some time trying to decide which way to turn in getting a hog/deer gun using air.  Many were either as loud or louder than my PB or didn't have enough power to give me confidence in a lethal kill.  I really wanted a Crown .30 cal, but they lack the power, same with the FX boss.  Bulldogs seem to be a lot of trouble and reminded me of my Marauder issues, but could be modified to work if the accuracy was there.  I didn't get the warm fuzzy there.

Discovering the Slayer, I knew it was perfect for me.  The build quality, having the very accurate TJ tensioned barrel, the titanium reservoir, the externally adjustable balanced valve, the easy cocking, having 275 FPE of power in a repeater and being the quietest big bore available in that power range, I just had to own one.  Also, watching several different air gunners shooting GS out at 150-200 yards plus over and over many times was just a no brainer for me.  Even though I haven't hunted with it yet, I am very happy with my decision to own a Slayer.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:57:31 PM by triggertreat »
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline Bullfrog

• Woodwose
  • Expert
    • Florida Bullfrog's Hunting Old Florida
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »
I got to shoot a .308 Slayer when I hosted Brian.in.MI (Airgunner.usa) for a deer hunt on my farm. In fact my understanding is that it was the actual Slayer that won the big bore category at Extreme Bench Rest. Very impressive gun. At first I had to get used to the shroud venting air on me. Its not a harsh blast, just enough to make me reflexively jump when I felt it. Once I got used to it, it was giving pellet-like accuracy at 50 yards with the 99 grain Nielsens set around 200fpe.

The quietness really got me. There were times Brian was shooting while I was in my workshop with the door open and it sounded like a .25 Marauder being shot outside the door. The gun sounds loud in the ear if you're shooting it, but its very quiet just a few feet away from it. When Brian killed the second deer I was at least 300 yards away from him and when he shot it sounded like a twig snapping about 50 yards away. I wasn't sure that it wasn't a small animal walking on the edge of my yard that snapped a twig until I found out he had just taken the deer. Very impressive.
  • North Florida
Bullfrog's Hunting Old Florida:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkM_8_2cJJtCEwdi6EEoLw
.45 Texan SS (330fpe)
.308 Texan SS (196fpe)
.30 WAR Flex (115fpe)
.30 WAR Flex Carbine (75fpe)
.25 Airforce Condor (60fpe)
.25 Benjamin Marauder (40fpe)
.22 Hatsan Bullboss (28fpe)
.22 Gamo Urban (23fpe)
.177 Benjamin Marauder (12fpe)

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »

I was able to get the Slayer sited in today and am very impressed with my first ever 5 shot group.  My backyard range is limited to 50 yards currently, but this does give me a good idea of its accuracy.  I only ran one 5 shot group on one full mag.  Not bad being the first time I have shot a group with this gun.  It basically drilled a single ragged hole  I asked my wife if she could hear me shooting out on the deck and she said no.  It's kinda backyard friendly if you ask me and really not that overly loud when adding the DonnyFL Emperor pickle.

Here is the 6 shot string.  Although I probably will only shoot it once or twice during a hunt,  I do like the 3 shot bell curve with a 0.85% ES.  I'm pretty sure I can take it up to the max fill of 3800psi and get more shots within the 2.3% ES at shot #4.  Looking at the group, I didn't see any drop in POI with the 6th shot.  Maybe out at 100 yards I might have seen a small drop?

Here is the 5 shot group at 50 yards with one site in shot above to equal the six shot mag I emptied:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:19:09 PM by triggertreat »
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline PeterL

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 05:02:57 PM »

I was able to get the Slayer sited in today and am very impressed with my first ever 5 shot group.  My backyard range is limited to 50 yards currently, but this does give me a good idea of its accuracy.  I only ran one 5 shot group on one full mag.  Not bad being the first time I have shot a group with this gun.  It basically drilled a single ragged hole  I asked my wife if she could hear me shooting out on the deck and she said no.  It's kinda backyard friendly if you ask me and really not that overly loud when adding the DonnyFL Emperor pickle.

Here is the 6 shot string.  Although I probably will only shoot it once or twice during a hunt,  I do like the 3 shot bell curve with a 0.85% ES.  I'm pretty sure I can take it up to the max fill of 3800psi and get more shots within the 2.3% ES at shot #4.  Looking at the group, I didn't see any drop in POI with the 6th shot.  Maybe out at 100 yards I might have seen a small drop?

Here is the 5 shot group at 50 yards with one site in shot above to equal the six shot mag I emptied:

I would say sheís a shooter but man sheís a darn tack driver. Heck of a first group. Just imagine when you get used to her. Scary thought to say the least. Not too many big bores can do that many shots and have that tight of a group MAKING THAT MUCH POWER.  Awesome Keith.

Peter
  • TX, USA

Online dmeguy

• Marksman
  • Aim small!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 05:07:42 PM »
Amazing first group!!!
  • Arkansas City, KS
GAMO CFX .177 | Benjamin Trail NP AW .22 | Crosman 1322 | The Reverend - Cothran Powered Reverse Bottle .30 | Benjamin Discovery .22 | Powermaster 66 | Pumpmaster 760 | 2250 Based .177 PCP | Daisy 880 | P17

Online Dairyboy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NUAH Master
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »
Outstanding group Keith! American made airguns are something special that's for sure!
  • Outlook, WA
John 3:16

Offline screwwork

• N.U.A.H. Marksman
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »
Nice looking groups Keith.
Youíre a lucky guy, 50 yard range in backyard where you shoot a big bore Airgun.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:07:08 PM by screwwork »
  • Nor-Cal
177. Airmax MK II pistol
177. 1720T Carbine
22. 1322, pistol/carbine 
25. Mini-rod, 13cu tank
357 Slayer

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 06:52:03 PM »

Thanks guys!  This is the ultimate big bore gun to have in my opinion.  The power is really something else to experience.  My backstop consisted of a large box packed with rolled up old clothes and  rubber mulch and a 1" pine board, then behind that was a 1" thick solid oak board and then behind that a tree.  The box and the oak board was no match.  It blew right through the 1" solid oak board.  I really didn't think it would do that but it did.  I have a large ~ 26" oak log I will put in place if I do this again.  I don't plan on shooting it here again really.  It was just to site it in and check it out.  I have better/safer places I can go shoot it on my hunting land.  Now that I know all is good, it's time to setup a hunting trip after Christmas.
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline screwwork

• N.U.A.H. Marksman
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »
I use a large box filled to the top with rubber mulch, it will stop the slayer at 3 yards at 250 fpe. Happy hunting.
  • Nor-Cal
177. Airmax MK II pistol
177. 1720T Carbine
22. 1322, pistol/carbine 
25. Mini-rod, 13cu tank
357 Slayer

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
I use a large box filled to the top with rubber mulch, it will stop the slayer at 3 yards at 250 fpe. Happy hunting.

I haven't had any luck with rubber mulch.  My box is basically filled with it and some tightly rolled up rags.  I finally got it good enough for my 56 FPE Marauder so I could tune it in my man cave/shed.  It's the fine stuff so maybe there is a better type to use.
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Online dmeguy

• Marksman
  • Aim small!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »
I haven't had any luck with rubber mulch.  My box is basically filled with it and some tightly rolled up rags.  I finally got it good enough for my 56 FPE Marauder so I could tune it in my man cave/shed.  It's the fine stuff so maybe there is a better type to use.

I've had really good luck with rubber mulch, packed tight. It handles up to 100 fpe without a single pellet ever making it to the back of the box. I think the key is the tight packing.
  • Arkansas City, KS
GAMO CFX .177 | Benjamin Trail NP AW .22 | Crosman 1322 | The Reverend - Cothran Powered Reverse Bottle .30 | Benjamin Discovery .22 | Powermaster 66 | Pumpmaster 760 | 2250 Based .177 PCP | Daisy 880 | P17

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: