Pumper Bench Shooting Tips

Author Topic: Pumper Bench Shooting Tips  (Read 1175 times))

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
Pumper Bench Shooting Tips
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:34:09 AM »
Below are tips & techiques for bench shooting. Please do not hesitate to add your comments.

Pumper air rifle bench shooting tips for open sights or a scope scout mount (not for firearms)

If using a Scope;

•   Is the scope mount level & centered on the barrel before mounting the scope?
•   Is the scope level & centered on the mount & barrel?

Target;

•   Is your target level?
•   Are you using the hash marks (cross hairs) buried into the target to position your scope correctly? Targets with several small bulls have repetitive images which by nature have their own “buried” hash marks (see pic below). If your rifle is miss-aligned to the left your shot will be low & left & visa versa.
•   Are you adjusting the rifle & your position in-line with the target each time your target shifts to the left or to the right or do you only pivot the rifle? Your body must also shift or your trigger pull will change direction.

Rifle forearm grip position on bag;

•   Are you placing the forearm grip on the bag at precisely the same location each time? I place the end of the forearm grip of every pumper (2”) on the inside edge of the bag.

Shouldering the rifle;

•   I do not shoulder the rifle (this is why I specified not for firearms)

Rifle grip;

•   Light but firm enough to prevent the rifle from canting (pitching) left or right.

Free arm/hand location
;

•   Where is your free arm/hand placed? I position my free hand palm side down (fingers grip trigger arm forearm) underneath the stock at rear of the rifle to simply guide the rifle into position for the shot.

Eye position (for scout mount scopes, & open sights);

•   Where do you position yourself for the shot? I position my eye as close to the center of the rifle at the back of the stock.

Trigger pull (the most important & the most difficult);

•   Our pumpers have some of the worst triggers for this type shooting. Set the hammer (WITHOUT LOADING A PELLET INTO THE CHAMBER) grab your trigger with two fingers & move the trigger side to side. It’s amazing how much side to side motion there is, making the correct trigger pull even more difficult.
•   How are you placing your finger on the trigger? This is a simple test; w/o setting the hammer, line up your rifle on point. Focus on poi & pull the trigger. Does the rifle move off point when you pull the trigger? Keep doing this drill until poi & trigger pull are in sync. There’s your correct finger position on the trigger. Keep in mind that avoiding a side to side trigger pull is half the battle. If you pull the trigger too high your shot will be high. If you pull the trigger too low, your shot will be low, & finally if you pivot the rifle left or right & not your body your trigger pull will change direction.

Trigger & trigger travel/creep;

•   How light or heavy is your trigger pull? The lighter the better. Most if not all our pumpers have mediocre trigger pulls at best. There are several steps you can take to improve trigger pull. Many of which are here on GTA. If you have questions ask & someone will help.
•   Travel/creep is the amount of pull necessary to disengage the sear. The more you practice the more you become familiar with the right amount of pull to place on the trigger just before the sear is released. This is where you want your trigger to be right before the shot.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:30:49 AM by Yng@hrt »
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
2-Prewar '42 312's, '68 312, '69 347, '82-'86 342 (checkered), '90 342 (non checkered), 2-'91 S392P's, '93 S397P, '93 397P, '95 S397P, '96 392PA (w/"P" trigger group), & a '53 137 pistol.
Dan's;
Several Vintage Silver & Blue Streaks, H9 & H9A, including a '69 Silver w/factory Williams.
Daisy's;
Most notable- 2-Model 21's, 882 w/factory Williams, 2-Golden Boys & 4 Golden Spikes, Christmas Dream 20,25,30,35, Model 1894's; RME, Win, Spittin Image, Limited Edition, 2-BBS, 2-NRA, Wells Fargo, Sealed Box 1894, 880's; 20th Anniv, Silver Anniv, Eldorado, & '71 model. Red Ryder signed by David Sanders, & 2 Pony Express.
Crosman;
'49 101
Favorite everyday backyard plinker '71 880. Easy to pump & the sweetest modified trigger.

Offline Back_Roads

• ???
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Sentry 702-3 .22 40 FPE W/ 30 gr. BBT FN
    • https://www.facebook.com/pg/longshot/about/
Re: Pumper Bench Shooting Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »
 Some very good tips here, One thing I do to verify my shot alignment, is hold the gun on position, then look away from the scope then back into it , do the cross hairs / sights stay on target when you settle back into your aiming position, if not adjust your body to line the shot better and try again.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:33:20 PM by Back_Roads »
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
We Got The Guns !
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline DanD

• Did someone say mid-sized springers?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • A solid maybe
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:11:45 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Marty!
I was curious if all your pumpers can shoot those 200 scores, or if you have any that simply are not that accurate?
  • Binghamton, NY

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »
Some very good tips here, One thing I do to verify my shot alignment, is hold the gun on position, then look away from the scope then back into it , do the cross hairs / sights stay on target when you settle back into your aiming position, if not adjust your body to ling the shot better and try again.
Good tip James. Which brings up a couple of other points; Right before the shot, I gently let off of the hold on the grip to make sure the butt of the rifle remains in line with the hold. If poi moves off course, I reset the hold.

The other point is that of backing off of the shot. Still working on this one. You go through so much effort to prepair for the shot that it's difficult stop & start over.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:25:56 AM by Yng@hrt »
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
2-Prewar '42 312's, '68 312, '69 347, '82-'86 342 (checkered), '90 342 (non checkered), 2-'91 S392P's, '93 S397P, '93 397P, '95 S397P, '96 392PA (w/"P" trigger group), & a '53 137 pistol.
Dan's;
Several Vintage Silver & Blue Streaks, H9 & H9A, including a '69 Silver w/factory Williams.
Daisy's;
Most notable- 2-Model 21's, 882 w/factory Williams, 2-Golden Boys & 4 Golden Spikes, Christmas Dream 20,25,30,35, Model 1894's; RME, Win, Spittin Image, Limited Edition, 2-BBS, 2-NRA, Wells Fargo, Sealed Box 1894, 880's; 20th Anniv, Silver Anniv, Eldorado, & '71 model. Red Ryder signed by David Sanders, & 2 Pony Express.
Crosman;
'49 101
Favorite everyday backyard plinker '71 880. Easy to pump & the sweetest modified trigger.

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Marty!
I was curious if all your pumpers can shoot those 200 scores, or if you have any that simply are not that accurate?

Dan, I mentioned this before & it wasn’t an exaggeration; seems like I’ve used gallons of ink & truck loads of paper to get to this point. My wife would ask; need anything from Wal-Mart? Yes, ink. After about the 2nd time she said give me some money. After that episode I decided to pay attention to what I was doing.

Now that I have a better sense of the mechanics involved, I am amazed by the accuracy of these guns. So far, all those I have tested  have performed well. 
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Crosman;
'49 101

Offline ac12

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
IF you gun can cock the hammer WITHOUT charging with air, dry fire.
What you want to do is to learn how to pull the trigger STRAIGHT BACK, smoothly.
It is amazing what you can observe if the gun does not fire air, and make noise.  You can pay attention to smaller details.

About the trigger, IF you can tune it, smoothen the sear/hammer engagement. 
What you want to get rid of is the burrs that cause a rough trigger pull. 
Be careful to NOT change any of the sear angles or round off the sear engagement edge.

Be careful if you abort a shot.
If you pulled the trigger in any amount, the sear likely is still in that partially pulled position.
This makes it easy to have an accidental discharge.
  • San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
10 meter target Air Pistol and Air Rifle

Offline Mackado

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 03:09:17 PM »
Thanks for these tips, they are great, wished I had found something like this a few years back, I need to use these tips to check my trigger pull positioning, funny I figured out by myself using the technique described here that my trigger pull force was causing the POI to shift, but I was not able to find a solution and blamed it on the rifle's limitations.

I have wasted so much time and pellet rounds trying to figure out what was happening with my shots after switching over to a different target in the same sheet... ::) only a few months back another poster here made a comment about reseating the bag and airgun inline with the new Target, instead of pivoting the rifle :o and this helped a lot, but the details here make it more clear why this happens. 

I can only imagine how much ink you must have used, I switched over to black markers-painted by hand targets even if I know they are not the perfect/best way, not only ink-carts are super expensive, but the carts don't last half as long as the manufacturer claims, and then if you don't use the printer, the carts also go bad and dry up... :o
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:13:57 PM by Mackado »
  • USA Florida
Crosman 140 pumper (third Variant)
Crosman 140 pumper (fourth variant)
Crosman 147 pumper (refurbishing)
Crosman 1400 Pumper (refurbishing)
Crosman 180-Co2- (Second Variant)
Sheridan Blue Streak-Pumper- 1969

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
If you pulled the trigger in any amount, the sear likely is still in that partially pulled position.

Absolutely & thanks for mentioning this.

When I abort, the rifle remains in the same position (down range). Only the trigger finger is removed. A few controlled deep breaths & realign for a shot.
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Crosman;
'49 101

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »
only a few months back another poster here made a comment about reseating the bag and airgun inline with the new Target, instead of pivoting the rifle

Octavio, my bag extends the full width of the table so instead of repositioning the bag I reposition the chair. The same principle. Works very well.

I set up the target as you see it in the pic (horizontal). I line up for my first series of bulls on the right side of the target, pretty much in line with the first 2 verticle rows so that pivot is kept to a minumum & move left from there, lining up for the next two rows, etc.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:39:18 PM by Yng@hrt »
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Crosman;
'49 101

Offline Mackado

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 05:08:04 PM »
only a few months back another poster here made a comment about reseating the bag and airgun inline with the new Target, instead of pivoting the rifle

Octavio, my bag extends the full width of the table so instead of repositioning the bag I reposition the chair. The same principle. Works very well.

I set up the target as you see it in the pic (horizontal). I line up for my first series of bulls on the right side of the target, pretty much in line with the first 2 verticle rows so that pivot is kept to a minumum & move left from there, lining up for the next two rows, etc.

Yes, thanks Marty, I never shot paper targets before, I had to learn the hard way here and made many mistakes as I went along, only a few days back I decided it was best to place a paper 8.5 x 11 target with multi-bulls eyes on the horizontal position instead of vertical,  this way I didn't have to worry about adjusting the height of the bag-fill to position the air rifle in a straight line with target's bull, just slide the bag a few inches right or left, before I used to pivot up and down, not much, but enough to throw off many shots, now I also understands how that uneven/unsteady motion affects the trigger pull too, it took me a lot of shots and time to figure out it was not the rifle, pellets, the Zero adjustments/scope or me, but the positioning of the airgun over the bag, which is the last thing I suspected... ::)
  • USA Florida
Crosman 140 pumper (third Variant)
Crosman 140 pumper (fourth variant)
Crosman 147 pumper (refurbishing)
Crosman 1400 Pumper (refurbishing)
Crosman 180-Co2- (Second Variant)
Sheridan Blue Streak-Pumper- 1969

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
Octavio, we've all been there. I struggled for weeks trying to figure out how these folks could knockdown “X’s” like they were dimes. There had to be some sort of reference mechanism they were/are using. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen but when I figured out the hidden hash marks major improvements happened quick. However, there are days (more often than not) when the mind set just isn’t there & rather than waste pellets & ink, I set aside the rifle for another day.
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Crosman;
'49 101

Offline JimQwerty123

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 09:43:40 PM »

When I abort, the rifle remains in the same position (down range). Only the trigger finger is removed. A few controlled deep breaths & realign for a shot.

Marty, I have the same problem with aborting the shot and starting over. Also, had the same problem when shooting competitive archery.

Great tips!

Jim
  • Alexandria, Louisiana

Offline JimQwerty123

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 09:45:38 PM »
... when the mind set just isn’t there & rather than waste pellets & ink, I set aside the rifle for another day.

Probably the best tip of all.

Perfect practice makes perfect. If you are not feeling it then don't force it.

Jim
  • Alexandria, Louisiana

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:45:42 PM »
Thanks Jim! :)
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Crosman;
'49 101

Offline ac12

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 02:47:08 AM »

Marty, I have the same problem with aborting the shot and starting over. Also, had the same problem when shooting competitive archery.

Great tips!

Jim

Jim
I found that aborting a shot was one of the HARDEST things to learn.
Like a typical guy, I had to push through and shoot. 
WRONG !!!  Whenever I did that, it was usually a BAD shot.

As opposed to something that could be taught, like trigger control, aborting a shot is all mental and difficult to teach.
  • San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
10 meter target Air Pistol and Air Rifle

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: