Cometa Lynx Review (Updated Regularly)!

Author Topic: Cometa Lynx Review (Updated Regularly)!  (Read 97954 times))

airgunnertony

Re: Cometa Lynx Review (Updated Regularly)!
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
Cometa is retarded. The threads are 5/8-18UNF. Makes it perfect for my mod. Will release in a few days. It will give you any power you would like out of the Lynx. PLUS it will make secondary bottles available for a VERY affordable price... :D

airgunnertony

« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »
Finally got my Lynx back. To sum it up James Manou himself drove to my house on a Sunday afternoon and hand delivered a new Cometa Lynx to my doorstep. Problems are resolved and he even left me a bag of goodies which included: Blue Marlin pellets (rebranded Baracuda's), Cometa/JSB 15.9g Pellets, and Cometa's cool spinning target! Expect a complete review on the Cometa spinning target soon.

On a different note I'm making a lot of progress with the "power upgrade". I'm trying to keep it as down low as possible so that my idea isn't STOLEN AGAIN. I need some input from you guys - give me your thoughts:

1. Would you be interested in the possibility to buy spare bottles (400cc) WITH regulator & valve of any power for ~$150.

2. Would you be interested in buying a kit that allows you to change the Lynxes power level to anything you desire (requires self installation *easy & about 10 min*) for ~$20.

Give me feedback on both but also let me know which of the two you would PREFER.

airgunnertony

« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
Let me give you a little teaser.

Right now I my rifle set up so that with the hammer spring tension screw adjusted all the way OUT it shoots 700 fps with 15.9g JSB's. If I turn it all the way IN it will shoot 15.9 JSB's 930 FPS.

With a little adjustment I can make it shoot 15.9 JSB's at 900 FPS with the hammer spring tension all the way OUT. And get up to nearly 1100 FPS with the 15.9's but with the tension all the way IN. This is GREAT for me. My ideal speed is 900 ft/sec and with the hammer spring tension all the way OUT it's super easy and smooth to cock the rifle.

I'm sure with a little more adjustment I'll be able to launch heavy pellets (~30 grain) nearly 1,000 fps. Like I said before - This mod will easily put it at (or past) modded Condor velocity.

High Noon

« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
Tony thanks for the update.  Even tho a extra bottle would/could come in handy, I would prefer the $20 option. Do you take paypal?

Offline aom22

• Full-Circle: From Air ......... to Powder Burners ........... Back to Air ......................
  • Marksman
  • QUALITY: The Practice of Continual Improvement
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2011, 07:23:12 PM »
1. Would you be interested in the possibility to buy spare bottles (400cc) WITH regulator & valve of any power for ~$150.
How about a smaller bottle so filling with a handpump is more realistic.
  • Fort Stockton TX 79735
W. Edwards Deming ... Quality: It is not enough to do your best;
you must know what to do, and then do your best.
Ever-Onward ... Through the Fog

Offline darryl

• Expert
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »
Sounds like the Lynx is hitting a home run. ;)
Preserve the Peace. Don't fart in a crowded elevator.
My Guns:  Parker-Hale Phoenix Under-lever Under lever multi-shot/.22, .177 Crosman 1701P target pistol (in a Crosman carbine stock, and shrouded) Taipan Mutant Short in .22

airgunnertony

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2011, 12:44:19 AM »
How about a smaller bottle so filling with a handpump is more realistic.

There might be an option for a 200cc bottle. The thing is that it would only be about $10 cheaper than the 400 cc so therefore it's not too practical as I can't imagine a vast majority of people being interested in it.

I've also thought of the idea of getting a 400cc 4500 PSI bottle (2 inch diameter) and regulating it down to about a 2K output. This thing should give 200 shots @ 35 FPE EASILY. I don't know if there are any negatives to this - if you have any input please enlighten me...

Offline be4meliz

• Plinker
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2011, 02:48:00 AM »
Will the reg. still be effective with your power adjustment?-like consistancy but need a little more speed
  • Massachusetts
Marauder.22 Citrus Airguns Custom
M-rod Carbine  .22 Citrus airguns custom
2240-based PCP .22(discovery tube &valve)
Discovery.22
Condor w/.22 &.25
Lonestar .25
IZH 46m .177
P-17
TF-89 .22
B-21 .177
BSA Lonestar .22
Cometa Lynx .22

airgunnertony

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »
Will the reg. still be effective with your power adjustment?-like consistancy but need a little more speed

Of corse! Still variations of only a few fps between shots. Obviously you will have a slightly lower shot count if you choose to bump up the power.

Offline be4meliz

• Plinker
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
Sounds great to me-ready for sale?- Would like yesterday lol!
on another note-how did you manage to adjust your trigger- I believe those Spaniards use BULL semen for lock-tite- managed to break loose rear screw(one combined with safety) after heat gun, but one behind trigger? no access short of drilling guard hole.
  • Massachusetts
Discovery.22
Condor w/.22 &.25
Lonestar .25
IZH 46m .177
P-17
TF-89 .22
B-21 .177
BSA Lonestar .22
Cometa Lynx .22

airgunnertony

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
Sounds great to me-ready for sale?- Would like yesterday lol!
on another note-how did you manage to adjust your trigger- I believe those Spaniards use BULL semen for lock-tite- managed to break loose rear screw(one combined with safety) after heat gun, but one behind trigger? no access short of drilling guard hole.

be4meliz - Let me tell you this! Last night I DID NOT SLEEP! Why?! Because I had a revolutionary idea right as I was about to drift off! I hopped out of my bed and went to work on the Lynx's trigger. Let's just say the Marauder got it's willy amputated for a good use (not that it needed it anyway after the bullpup conversion). ANYWAY - stay tuned for my REVOLUTIONARY MOD #3!!!!

airgunnertony

« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
Cometa Lynx Ultimate Trigger Tune - AKA "Modded Marauder Trigger".

I would like to start this off in saying that I HATE it when companies drop the ball so close to PERFECTION. It's infuriating to me - I don't know if they do it intentionally or not; but it's like playing football and one yard away from a touchdown you decide to give up, drop the ball, and turn around. Cometa - please listen to me. I'm no superstar engineer, mechanical designer, gunsmith, or anything or the sort. But with a little studying I've been able to figure out HOW and WHY something works well and apply it to something that doesn't work well.

I have to say that it's unbelievable how easy this mod is. I oversimplified it due to the fact that I do not own a drillpress, taps, or even proper drillbits for cutting through steel. If you do then you can easily take mod this to the next level. I'm pretty darn sure that this makes your trigger MUCH better than that "tune" Pomona (thieves) can do to your gun. Plus it's cheap and/or free.

Step One:

Let's get one thing strait. The Marauder's trigger performance is leaps and bounds ahead of the Lynx's - everyone that's used both will know. In fact, The Marauder has one of the best stock trigger i've ever used. Now, Wouldn't it make sense to see how Crosman was able to get such a great trigger so that we could apply it to the Lynx? Let's compare the Lynx's trigger assembly with that of the Marauders.

Lynx:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Marauder:

They both look pretty darn similar don't they? If you notice, the triggers have three main parts: the "top sear" on each catches the hammer and holds it in place, the "middle sear" acts as a tipping device for the "top sear", and the trigger acts as a tipping device for the "middle sear". So basically the chain goes: Someone pulls the trigger a certain amount, thus leading to the middle sear tripping, thus instantaneously leading to the top sear tipping.

Smoothness and "two stageness" is dictated by how the TRIGGER interacts with the MIDDLE SEAR - Nothing else.
Adjustment of this is caused by changing the adjustment screws in the trigger. Now - Look at the adjustment screws on both the Marauder and the Lynx - big difference; the Marauder has TWO where as the Lynx has ONE.

Now the two screws on the Marauders trigger do A LOT more than you may think. The medial screw adjusts the amount of first stage travel. The distal screw causes the (wanted) second stage and it's distinct "stop". To find the second stage of a trigger we look for it's distinct "stop". Well, what exactly causes this? This stop is caused by the change of the leverage point on the middle sear. As the first stage is pulled the leverace point is on the medial screw. Right as the distal screw is engaged the leverage point instantaneously changed to the distal point on the sear. Because this point is farther away from the pivot point it causes it to be "tougher" to move. This sudden change from a "easy pull" to a "tough pull" is the second stage stop we are talking about.

The single adjustment screw on the Lynx only acts as the second leverage point, because there is no first leverage point we never get this change in "toughness"; therefore there is no second stage stop.

The other problem with this is SAFETY. If you wanted the Lynx's trigger to go off right as the adjustment screw was engaged then you would have to have the top and middle sear RIGHT AT THE EDGE OF EACH OTHER. Because they are always right at the edge of each other they are much more prone to slipping if the rifle is bumped or dropped.  With the Marauder trigger they don't always have to be at the edge of each other - The first stage will bring them to the pont of being on the edge and the second (distal) screw will push them over the edge, thus firing.

Step Two:

I really hope you read step one. It's imperative for you to understand that under certain circumstances the Lynx's trigger may not be safe. So please, read above.

Now, our goal is to add in this second adjustment screw. I stated before that I hate it when people drop the ball on things right at the end. If Cometa had put in this small screw from the factory they would have wonderful triggers, so I dont know why they didn't. Like I said before I don't even have a drillpress - if you do then just do drill and tap in a screw. If not, or if you're just looking for the easy way, then follow me.

Take apart the trigger assembly. The screw in the back is held under partial spring pressure of the hammer, so to put it back in you must push on the power adjustment port for the threaded area to line up (just warning you). I also want to warn you that the pins sometimes wiggle out. They're really hard to get back in and if you don't have them completely flush then the trigger assembly may not go back in. You can take a brass punch to them - hit them hard.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here: I took a nut and superglued it to this area on the trigger.

Once you have it superglued you're all set. Back out the middle sear adjustment screw ALL THE WAY (you can even take it out). The first screw is now our first stage travel and the washer is the second leverage point. Adjust the first screw so that as you pull the trigger it will bring the edges of the top and middle sear together, then the point is to make it so that right as the two sears are on the edges of each other the nut will kick in (causing the second stage stop) and letting you know that the trigger is going to go off upon the slightest further pull.

There is one more thing you need to do. Inorder to get a stronger second stage stop you need to replace this spring with a stronger one. What I actually did was I put a smaller spring of the same length inside the stock one - it combined the forces and made it harder to compress. I will soon replace it with a stronger one after I purchase one that works.

Oh, and I thought that i'd let you know that this is my second rendition of the mod. At first I had a plan to put the actual Marauder trigger inside. It was working well but I realized halfway though that this way was easier (as the Marauder trigger it's self needed to be modded) and cheaper. So, I post this picture in loving memory of my Marauder's trigger.

Please let me know if it worked for you. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks a bunch - Tony.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:57:24 PM by airgunnertony »

High Noon

« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2011, 05:35:55 PM »
Tony thanks for the write up.  I'm little confused with one item "The screw in the back is held under partial spring pressure of the hammer, so to put it back in you must push on the power adjustment port for the threaded area to line up (just warning you). I also want to warn you that the pins sometimes wiggle out. They're really hard to get back in and if you don't have them completely flush then the trigger assembly may not go back in. You can take a brass punch to them - hit them hard."  Is this a problem only if you remove the screw?  If you leave the screw inplace there's no problem?  or am I still totally confused?

Eddie 

ps you never answered Do you take paypal?

airgunnertony

« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »
The trigger assembly is held into the action via two screws. The rear screw is threaded into the silver power adjustment "plug". Due to the fact that this plug is under spring compression when you remove the rear trigger assembly screw the plug will push out slightly. This will make it so that when you try to thread the screw back in it wont go - because the threaded hole is misaligned. All you have to do is push the plug back in while screwing in.

It's not that difficult - but hard to explain. Just do it, there's no risk and i'm sure you'll understand once you get to doing it.

-Right now I'm thinking Paypal will be the first payment option. I will also offer the ability for people to pay via cash in the mail so that those who don't use Paypal can be included.

High Noon

« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
I've have the trigger assembly apart briefly to look inside and also to shorten the loooooonnnnnnggggg trigger pull(no luck), but dont recall having a issue with putting it back together.  I thought your description was for the rear screw inside the trigger assembly.

airgunnertony

« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
I see Pomona removed both their "Marauder mag conversion" and their "PAG Trigger tune" for the Lynx from their website. I never spoke with them so they must be following this thread.

As for an update on the power mod:
- Right now i'm in a catch 22 situation. There are a few ways one can successfully power mod the Lynx. The way i've personally been doing it was by actually increasing the output pressure of the regulator. The problem is that as the output pressure increases the hammer isn't capable of opening the valve as much (due to the strength of the spring). What you get is an efficiency curve like -x^2 (upside dow parabola). So basically, you have a point (the vertex) when you have the most efficient setting. As you increase the output pressure the velocity will rise until a certain point, then it will actually go down - even though you're increasing the output pressure.

I'll update you further on my plans around this. - Tony

Offline be4meliz

• Plinker
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
So how is the power mod coming,Tony?Still interested- and is there any way to add a stronger hammer spring?Is that regulater a bellville setup?And do you know what output pressure the stock reg. has?
  • Massachusetts
Discovery.22
Condor w/.22 &.25
Lonestar .25
IZH 46m .177
P-17
TF-89 .22
B-21 .177
BSA Lonestar .22
Cometa Lynx .22

airgunnertony

« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm in the middle of a cross country move and life's been hectic. Havent been able to shoot an AG for the past few weeks and probably wont be able to for a while. Hopefully some of you other Lynx owners can help contribute to the information pool as well.

High Noon

« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »
my 25yds plus target range is out of order due to soybeans growing. nothing to report at 15yds(indoors), still accurate.

Offline be4meliz

• Plinker
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »
80 yd group-

and another
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:51:51 AM by be4meliz »
  • Massachusetts
Discovery.22
Condor w/.22 &.25
Lonestar .25
IZH 46m .177
P-17
TF-89 .22
B-21 .177
BSA Lonestar .22
Cometa Lynx .22

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?