PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles

Author Topic: IZH 61: it's a KILLIN' macheeeen!  (Read 4428 times))

Offline neric

• Plinker
  • O Great Protector, hear my plea...
IZH 61: it's a KILLIN' macheeeen!
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
Walking out to my shed and am greeted by some young thing wanting to make a home there.  She was startled :o. as was I.

I've been thru this all before,,,be Mr Nice guy and they destroy the place.

I had my way with a LOT of them using my RWS 54 - its lethal.  And after decreasing their numbers significantly I gave them a year off, but now they are increasing again starting to move in on me.

This year I honed my 61 with a home tune, turned my front blade into a point and sighted for about 17 yds,,,,its a real smooth shooter now, and silent.  Its a plinker shooting about 435fps.  I figured I would just plink them for a while and maybe they'd stay away.

So I commence to plink this one,,,, tree top,,,I've got 5 shots,,,probably in range.  Wow,,,I got lucky,, shooting off hand,,,,she didn't move for a few seconds and I figured I missed.  Then she starts falling out of the three!   I couldn't believe it.  It hit her in the spine and crippled her,,,couldn't run fast at all,,,,took a head shot to finish it.

I wouldn't have believed this would have killed anything.  Shooting Gamo Match wadcutters.  The pellets did penetrate but not pass thru like they always did with my 54.

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
Re: IZH 61: it's a KILLIN' macheeeen!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
Nice shooting! Yes they can be a problem in a shed
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:50:56 PM »
Good shooting.  Is your 61 a .177 or .22 (do they even make it in .22)?

I am not really surprised.  I used to use my Crosman 760 .177 pumper to kill squirrels.  I always tried to get close, usually from 12 to 15yds with pointed pellets that were just a little over 500fps.  I knew if they would go through a tin can with ease at 15yds, they could kill a Grey squirrel.  I even got 1 with a BB at first but they were >600fps.  It was a head shot.  I mostly used to shoot them in the neck and they would bleed quickly internally or be disabled by hitting the spine in the neck, and I 'd follow up with another shot to put them out of their suffering quickly, but sometimes it did not require a 2nd shot. You just have to make sure you are close when you take the shot.  I even got one with those cheap Crosman match/wadcutter pellets (this was back in the early '80's) and the 760.  You just have to make sure your shot hits them where it counts, otherwise they 'll just take off wounded.
Good job!  If I had a Diana 54, I 'd use that instead of the 61 though :)
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22 #2,
Fortitude .22, Prod .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Crosman 2240KT
Remington NPSS .22, Umarex M&P 45
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760, Beeman P17
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T
Several other Umarex & Crosman CO2 pistols

Offline neric

• Plinker
  • O Great Protector, hear my plea...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
Good shooting.  Is your 61 a .177 or .22 (do they even make it in .22)?

Good job!  If I had a Diana 54, I 'd use that instead of the 61 though :)

I'm pretty sure the 61 only comes in .177

I hadn't intended to actually kill this one,,,I just wanted to 'sting' it a little with the hopes they would stay away.

yes, I agree, use the 54 if I want to kill something, and with a scope I can most often get head shots.   I haven't ever liked shooting with open sites, learning something new for me.  My eyes aren't that good for open sights.

So, I'm thinking that I need to power done even more if I don't want mortally wound them,,,,like perhaps "the Worlds most accurate BB gun" what ever that one is.  You know,,,just another excuse to buy yet another gun.

Offline 1377x

• Born To Be A Star!
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • closed mouths dont get fed!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »
nice shooting!
short list
1) get up!
2) survive!!
3)go to bed!!!

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
Good shooting and pic. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline jps42

• Plinker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 04:35:07 PM »
Dosnt suprice me one bit. I have killed many house sparrow and starling using a grizzly bb gun with a cheap gamo scope and crossman pointed pellet.
I just make sure withing 15 yards and aim for the head. never had one fly away. I always though would put a double tap in them with crossman c 11 just to make sure though before desposing of them.