Soft Bedding Spring guns by Mike Hancock

Author Topic: Soft Bedding Spring guns by Mike Hancock  (Read 29030 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline RBQChicken

• Sharp Shooter
  • The first time I hit it, I missed.
Re: Soft Bedding Spring guns by Mike Hancock
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2016, 05:09:50 PM »
Renewing an older thread here, I was wondering if those of you that did the soft bed thing, now after having used the guns for a half year or more, do you still think it was worthwhile doing it, or did  the cushioning eventually become too flattened and the improvements disappear?
  • U.P. of MI

Offline twigboy

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »
Renewing an older thread here, I was wondering if those of you that did the soft bed thing, now after having used the guns for a half year or more, do you still think it was worthwhile doing it, or did  the cushioning eventually become too flattened and the improvements disappear?
Bump
  • VA

Offline SteveP-52

• I'm the wrong guy to ask about talking you out of an air rifle :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
Mine are still shooting just as good now as when I originally did them. Even flattened some, it still provides a cushion between the metal of the action and the wood of the stock.
  • Buffalo, NY, USA
Hatsan Galatian III QE .25
Hatsan Flashpup .25
Hatsan Flash .22
Beeman R9 .20
Weihrauch HW95 .22
Mendoza Blackhawk .22
Norica Dead Eye GRS .22
Hatsans:
-Model 95 springer .25
-Model 95 QE .22
-Edge .25 Springer
-1000X .25
Webley:
-Tomahawk .177 & .22
-Spector SR .177  w/custom Striker wood stock
-VMX .20 (3, 1 gas rammed)
Beeman P17
Sig Sauer P226

Online Kmanca1

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
When I first heard about this I did ALL my springers and several of a buddies, as well.
2+ years later they still have the 'cushion', and I still believe them to be softer shooting and more accurate.
For the first six months I checked screws every time I picked the gun up. Now, not so often.   They have never loosened because of the material compression.
I'm a total convert!
  • Antioch, CA
FX Streamline .25
Rainstorm II .30
Rainstorm II .25
Sniper .35
M-Rod G2 .25
BSA Buccaneer 'Kevinated' .177
Sentry Deluxe .22
H- 95 .25  
XS25-MM tuned .22

...and too many more...

Offline zmike

• Shooter
  • My Range Office
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »
Mike Hancock here,

ALL my guns are still shooting fine with the original 2 year old soft bedding in place.  I keep them stored inside in a gun safe where it's around room temp. so there should be no problems with drying or cracking.  My envelope of bulk neoprene sheeting I have on hand is still fine too.  IMHO, a third benefit, aside from the two discussed benefits of sound thwack noise reduction in your cheek weld -- and overall vibration dampening throughout the whole gun stock during shooting, is you get a perfect bedding job.  In other words you nullify any high and low spots where wood touches metal.  It correlates to glass bedding a powder rifle.  A perfect bedding job!

AND, contrary to what's been written on here, I think Timmy's material is a bit too thin and a bit too hard.  He gave me some, and although it's WAY BETTER than nothing, it's not as nice as my stuff.  I use pure, black, 1/4- inch thick med hard neoprene sheets bought on E-Bay.  Harder than wet suit materiel by quite a bit, but not really hard.  I bought a bunch of it when I first started this crazy idea / project. 

The ONLY GUN I've had neutral results with was the AA TX 200.  That gun has almost no stock contact forward of the front stock screw.  It's all relieved so the whole front of the chamber area floats.  No real place to put bedding!  Maybe that's why they shoot so well right out of the box. Not enough metal to wood contact to be much problem.   GOOD LUCK!
  • California
Forever is comprised of "NOW!"

Offline screaminjlew

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2017, 10:40:28 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had tried this modification on a Hatsan torpedo 100X?

I'd be curious....

JLew
  • Hanford, Calif.
Xisico XS28M .22cal Mike Melick tuned
Rex 3-9X40AO scope

Hatsan Torpedo 100X .177 cal. springer with
Hatsan Optima  3-9x40AO scope.

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2019, 03:40:01 AM »
I'm bringing this old thread back up to hopefully benefit others who love their springers.
I think this thread should be made a "Sticky" so that it will continue to help folks get the most out of their Springers and Gas Rams.

And just for the record,

I recently became the Proud Caretaker of a VERY fine, (practically Legendary)  "Lady",
 that many of you here will surely recognize.  :-*

She has taken down, drilled, pulverized, smashed, and short circuited more backyard rats,
 (and a few skweerrlls too),
  than any other I can recall, in recent history.   :o  :P ;)

She was, (and still is), the absolute Pride and Joy, of one of our finest members, who entrusted me to care for her, keep her well, and keep her happy, while he returned to his native homeland (Sweden) to be closer to his children. I am Truly HONORED to have her staying with me, and I'll make sure she feels very pampered and loved  :D

Does anyone here know and/or recognize her ? 
         (I'll give you a little hint),
            ;D  ;D  ;D Her name is "Gretchen"  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'm thinking that maybe Gretchen deserves it, and might like to give the Soft Bedding a try .
 What do you think Mike ?

Do you think a Fully Tuned, Top of the line, absolute DREAM to Shoot, .20 cal HW97K could also benefit from the Soft  Bedding job ?
 (I almost can't imagine her shooting any better than she already does, but maybe ?)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:39:51 PM by Gertrude »
  • State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.

Offline Earl

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2019, 04:18:11 AM »
Mike Hancock here,

ALL my guns are still shooting fine with the original 2 year old soft bedding in place.  I keep them stored inside in a gun safe where it's around room temp. so there should be no problems with drying or cracking.  My envelope of bulk neoprene sheeting I have on hand is still fine too.  IMHO, a third benefit, aside from the two discussed benefits of sound thwack noise reduction in your cheek weld -- and overall vibration dampening throughout the whole gun stock during shooting, is you get a perfect bedding job.  In other words you nullify any high and low spots where wood touches metal.  It correlates to glass bedding a powder rifle.  A perfect bedding job!

AND, contrary to what's been written on here, I think Timmy's material is a bit too thin and a bit too hard.  He gave me some, and although it's WAY BETTER than nothing, it's not as nice as my stuff.  I use pure, black, 1/4- inch thick med hard neoprene sheets bought on E-Bay.  Harder than wet suit materiel by quite a bit, but not really hard.  I bought a bunch of it when I first started this crazy idea / project. 

The ONLY GUN I've had neutral results with was the AA TX 200.  That gun has almost no stock contact forward of the front stock screw.  It's all relieved so the whole front of the chamber area floats.  No real place to put bedding!  Maybe that's why they shoot so well right out of the box. Not enough metal to wood contact to be much problem.   GOOD LUCK!

Please post a link for where to buy the "Soft Bedding Material".
  • Lexington, KY, USA
Benjamin Marauder .177, Crosman Challenger .177, Umarex Gauntlet .177, Benjamin Discovery .177, Benjamin Maximus .177, Gamo Whisper Fusion .22, Crosman 2100B, Crosman 2300T, Browning Leverage .177, CPM Daisy 853, Daisy 880, Mrodair CP-1M .177, Mrodair CP2 .177, 2-Beeman P17s, 3-Crosman P1377s, Umarex Fusion .177, GameFace M4A1 airsoft, Crosman Vigilante, Umarex Peacemaker, 5-Bug-A-Salt, plus many others

Offline dan_house

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »
IVe seen sorbothane used as the dampening material.

But the isntance I was aware of needed reliefs cut in the stock for the material to rest in. Tim and Mike;s version of this is wayyyyyyy easier for the average shooter to do

Thanks to both of them for  the post!

Thomas L .177
CCA Tuned Diana54
The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's Headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy

Proud sponsor of Team_subsonic

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Offline Earl

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »
Mike Hancock, zmike, messaged me today and said that 1/8 inch thick was the best thickness to use.
I bought this to give it a try:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BS4CV1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Lexington, KY, USA
Benjamin Marauder .177, Crosman Challenger .177, Umarex Gauntlet .177, Benjamin Discovery .177, Benjamin Maximus .177, Gamo Whisper Fusion .22, Crosman 2100B, Crosman 2300T, Browning Leverage .177, CPM Daisy 853, Daisy 880, Mrodair CP-1M .177, Mrodair CP2 .177, 2-Beeman P17s, 3-Crosman P1377s, Umarex Fusion .177, GameFace M4A1 airsoft, Crosman Vigilante, Umarex Peacemaker, 5-Bug-A-Salt, plus many others

Online Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
 ;) ;D That should work for you, being in HVAC I used the 2" wide Armaflex closed cell insulating tape that we use on refrigeration "suction lines " to prevent condensation on the cool copper pipes
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline Kingston73

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2019, 07:55:33 PM »
Thank you for this thread, Ill be trying this as soon as I can buy some material.
  • Blackstone

Offline justinp61

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
I tried the soft bedding (1/8" adhesive backed neoprene) on my 48 and it won't stay in place. Really couldn't see any difference in accuracy or shot cycle either, my .02.
  • Smithland, Kentucky

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2019, 03:46:09 AM »
Well I didn't have any 1/8" neoprene laying around, but I did have this thin sheet rubber.
 So I figured "What the heck" "Cant hurt to give it a shot" right ?
It is .015 thick, and it certainly is not going to really compress like closed cell foam would, but it still should offer some kind of dampening effect. It's Not that "Gretchen" has a harsh shot cycle or anything like that,
and to be honest, I have so little trigger time with her,
 that I wouldnt be able to say if there is much of a change either way.

I wont be able to try it until this weekend. If I like the way it shoots and feels, it'll stay,
 And if not, it can be easily removed.

• State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.

Offline Earl

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2019, 02:32:27 PM »
I tried the foam bedding on my Benjamin Titan NP .177 wood stock.
It may have helped the accuracy some.
I cannot shoot break barrels good enough to see how much it helped.
It is shooting 8 or 9 shots out of ten into a 0.75" group at 18 yards.
That is about as good as I can shoot a break barrel most days.
  • Lexington, KY, USA

Offline pelletcaster

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »
Nice information indeed.

I'd bedding of springers several times but I'm using neutraly(!) curing silicone (don't try the acid type one used in bath rooms etca.).

I prepare the stock usually degreasing inside and putting some masking tape on the edges.
Then wrap the system in one or two layers of clingwrap.
Silicone is put in the stock followed by the system.
Stock screws are get tightened in several small steps to allow the silicone to spread even, fill any gaps and to form a thin layer.
No need to overtighten the screws in the final step - just handtight is fine.
Let it cure at least overnight (depending on ambient temperature).
Take the system out and get clingwrap off.
Remove masking tape from stock awa any excess silicone.
Put a thin layer of gunoil on the system and assembly.
Job done.

Oh yes - it makes a difference.

Will try late to add some pictures here.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:59:16 PM by pelletcaster »
  • Austria, Carinthia, 9063 MARIA SAAL
Live is a journey - not a destination.
----------------------------------------------
DS MK4iS S - 4,5
SPA P12 - 5,5
CZ200S Green 4,5
TX200HC - 4,5 / Vortek
LGU Master - 4,5
LGV 2012 CompUltra  - 4,5
HW35-4,5 / Vortek
HW50 25mm - 4,5  / Vortek
HW90 - 4,5/5,5 (in Arbeit)
DIANA 34 T01 4,5
HW80K 5,5

S&W Revolver .357mag 686-3
S&W-Pistole 422
VOERE Rep .22 lr

Offline MauiWally

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2019, 01:44:58 AM »
Greetings pelletcaster,
Any update on the silicon bedding project on your LGV?
What shot benefit did you notice the most with this silicon bedding method?
What made you try curing silicone rather than the neoprene rubber option?
I am in the middle of tweaking my LGV Ultra for more consistent and better shot performance and appreciate any thoughts on this bedding method and the results you got.
Thanks  :D   
  • Kahului, HI, USA
Current:
Walther LGV Master Ultra.177
Walther LGU Master Pro .177
Beeman R9 .177 
Walther CP88 Competition
Walther CP99
Walther PPQ
Zoraki HP01U .177
Heckler and Koch P30
Heckler and Koch VP9
Sig Sauer P320
Sig Sauer P226
Sig Sauer X5 ASP
Beretta 92A1
Past:
Beeman P3

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?