Soft Bedding Spring guns by Mike Hancock

Author Topic: Soft Bedding Spring guns by Mike Hancock  (Read 29042 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
  • "You've Come A Long Way BB"
    • Mac1 Airgun Distributors
Re: Soft Bedding Spring guns by Mike Hancock
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »
What hardness/density neoprene rubber should be used?  I see several different Durometer or Shore ratings.  Thanks.

It is a question for Mike but I would guess as soft as possible.

TimmyMac1
"No Guns Would be a Riot"

Offline Midwestairgunner

• Plinker
  • yes
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:46:24 PM by Midwestairgunner »
  • Iowa

Offline 1216bandit

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »
I just gave this a whirl on my recently acquired B-21 and I am thrilled with the results!  It is really amazing how something so simple can make such a dramatic change!  Very pleased and a big thanks for posting this!!  Next are my Diana's.
Take er easy....Dan

EDIT...I am no longer thrilled...I'm bloody ecstatic ;D.   I am shooting indoors rested at just under 40ft.  The fore stock is rested and the butt is on a sock filled with corn cob media that is squeezed or released for elevation..real high tech eh!  Anyhow, before the bedding if I pulled the gun tight into my shoulder but light with my cheek it would group well.  Same thing again, before the bedding, same POA but this time very loose on the gun, pretty much the only thing touching was my trigger finger and it groups well at a totally different POI, which I can understand.  If the hold was consistant so was the poi, but any change in the hold would show as a change in poi.

After the bedding it does not matter..gorilla hold, light hold or anything in between the POI is the same and I am talking 5 shots 1 ragged hole!  I have been very happy with the accuracy of this rifle, but since this cheap quick mod this is a level up.  Its just amazing how a bit of dampening material can change things so much. 

this is what I used from Home depot....little narrow but just cut into strips
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/closed-cell-sponge-rubber-tape/947895 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:27:34 PM by 1216bandit »
RWS 34 .22 ARH kit
RWS 34 Panther .177 with Vortek PG2
xs-25 from MIke
xs-12 from Mike
.22 Marauder
.177 Marauder Milo74 reg with goodies from Scott.
,177 Bam B21
.177 B-51
.177 Remington Express

Offline Blackie44

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
Good ole Jack Conners. Very much respected and excellent gun man.
  • Tillamook, OR

Offline rockmike

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
BUmp for a great thread.IM going to try this on my xs46U which is not hold very sensitive and the xs12 which is pretty hold sensitive.I wonder if this bedding mod would help out a PCP like the Mrod?
  • Pasco, WA
Synrod .22 MMHF barrel

HUma reg.

TSS

26 gram MDS hammer

6lb poppet spring

Hogged out valve

SSBB

Offline IronHand

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
I just did the soft bedding to a nitro piston pistol and a nitro piston synthetic rifle. Pistol shoots great haven't shot rifle yet but am sure it will be improved. On the rifle stock I put strips on the bedding ridges only.  Iron Hand
  • California, Dos Palos

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert

Offline INVICTVSREX

• Plinker
  • Bonafide Brooklyn Redneck
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2015, 03:42:06 AM »
 Ordered my Sorbothane earlier today and can't wait to do this to all 3 rifles.

Spectacular thread.
  • 41.2500N/96.0000W*NE & 40.6928N/73.9903W*NY
Lizzie Mae: Remington Tyrant .177
Molly June: Ruger Impact .22
Norma Jeane: Stoeger ATAC .22
El Cid: Crosman 1322/2289 .22 (mod)
El Cazador: CCS 2400KT .22

Never Underestimate The Predictability Of Stupidity.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a $)((# by the clean end"
--- R.J.Wiedemann, Lt Col. USMC Ret.

Offline White Eagle

• Expert
  • THIS IS MY AIR RIFLE. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, ...
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 05:53:27 PM »
I have a question.  My Diana 34 is extremely accurate at 25 yards, but, like most springers, it is very hold sensitive.  I know that this soft bedding is supposed to help eliminate the hold sensitivity.  My biggest problem is with the point of impact changing.  I've learned to be very consistent with the hold, hence the ragged one-hole groups I get.  The problem is that the groups just keep changing poi, as much as 1/2" to 1", and this is really puzzling to me.  My question:  do any of you think the soft bedding will take care of this "wandering" poi issue?  Thanks for any thoughts!
  • West Virginia
THIS IS MY AIR RIFLE.   There are many like it, but this one is mine...

RWS/DIANA 34 T06 CLASSIC .22 "Schatzi"
DAISY MODEL 96 (MY FIRST AIR GUN, CIRCA 1967!)
DAISY 880S .177
BENJI 397P (1994 VINTAGE)

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »
I have a question.  My Diana 34 is extremely accurate at 25 yards, but, like most springers, it is very hold sensitive.  I know that this soft bedding is supposed to help eliminate the hold sensitivity.  My biggest problem is with the point of impact changing.  I've learned to be very consistent with the hold, hence the ragged one-hole groups I get.  The problem is that the groups just keep changing poi, as much as 1/2" to 1", and this is really puzzling to me.  My question:  do any of you think the soft bedding will take care of this "wandering" poi issue?  Thanks for any thoughts!

This is a fluid Thread with 100% positive FEEDBACK! Nobody making a dime here but the Sticky back rubber guys. The guy that originated this concept says it makes guns Bench restable and they don't vary POI with offhand vs supported. PLEASE DO IT and if you are the first to find it doesn't help a thing we will all know it didn't work for ONE guy! Just everyone else! Try it! Spring guns are a Pain to shoot accurately and Anything that helps accuracy, that isn't dead weight, is good.

Mac1 AG Sticky Back Foam
13974 Van Ness Ave
Gardena Ca 90249-2900

Send SASE $1.20 Postage for a Bunch for free!

TimmyMac1

Offline White Eagle

• Expert
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »
Thanks Timmy!  I'll give it a try! 8)  Standard size envelope with $1.20 in postage affixed?  Thanks!
  • West Virginia

DAISY 880S .177

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 09:26:55 AM »
Thanks Timmy!  I'll give it a try! 8)  Standard size envelope with $1.20 in postage affixed?  Thanks!

Larger the better. This is the rate for two ounces, in a large envelope and less than 3/4" thick.

TimmyMac1

Offline White Eagle

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 08:32:21 PM »
As always, I appreciate you and your service.  Thanks Timmy!
  • West Virginia

DAISY 880S .177

Offline zmike

• Shooter
  • My Range Office
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
Pictures of Soft Bedding a Beeman  R-1:

1- Cut your 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide Strips
2- Peel back the sticky back
3- Place along inlet line of stock leaving 1/16 inch gap up from edge.  (if you put right on the edge, as material mushes, it extends out over the edge and flakes off.
4. Same as above
5- Fore Stock bedding in place
6- Leave a little gap for the cross-pin that holds trigger in place. The material on each side will hold up the cross-pin just enough that the cross-pin will no longer gouge little dents in the stock.  Both sides of the cross-pin will now be floating.
7- Same as above
8- Mark from underneath, then cut out the curve of trigger opening for back piece of bedding
9- Showing back end bedding.   Can use smaller pieces and put in like a puzzle to make it easier
10- Using "C" clamp to get front stock screws started (material sets metal 1/8-inch higher in stock so holes don't line up).  NOTE:  I do this alone.  But when doing a friends gun he was able to hand grip it tight enough to get screws started without clamps. 
11- Same as above 
  • California
Forever is comprised of "NOW!"

Offline White Eagle

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
Wow.  The soft bedding really made a difference in my D34! 8)  The rifle has always been a tack driver, but the poi constantly changed, by as much as an inch, sometimes more.  I have always used the artillery hold, but this rifle was extremely hold sensitive, so I would basically need to use reference marks to position the rifle to get a consistent poi, and even that sometimes didn't work. :o  So, after reading this thread, and urged on by Timmy Mac, I gave the soft bedding a try, and VOILA!!! ;D  The rifle is no longer hold sensitive, and will group, even changing where and how it is supported!  The bedding has also made the rifle much quieter, due no doubt to the insulating property of the foam.  I am thrilled with the results!  Thank you, Mike, for your discovery, and thank you Timmy for making this info and material available to us. ;D ;D ;D
  • West Virginia

DAISY 880S .177

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2015, 11:29:47 AM »
Pictures of Soft Bedding a Beeman  R-1:

1- Cut your 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide Strips
2- Peel back the sticky back
3- Place along inlet line of stock leaving 1/16 inch gap up from edge.  (if you put right on the edge, as material mushes, it extends out over the edge and flakes off.
4. Same as above
5- Fore Stock bedding in place
6- Leave a little gap for the cross-pin that holds trigger in place. The material on each side will hold up the cross-pin just enough that the cross-pin will no longer gouge little dents in the stock.  Both sides of the cross-pin will now be floating.
7- Same as above
8- Mark from underneath, then cut out the curve of trigger opening for back piece of bedding
9- Showing back end bedding.   Can use smaller pieces and put in like a puzzle to make it easier
10- Using "C" clamp to get front stock screws started (material sets metal 1/8-inch higher in stock so holes don't line up).  NOTE:  I do this alone.  But when doing a friends gun he was able to hand grip it tight enough to get screws started without clamps. 
11- Same as above
8) :D Very nice pictorial and instructions on the soft bedding process .. Well done!!!! ;D
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline TimmyMac1

• Expert
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2015, 05:49:54 PM »
Wow.  The soft bedding really made a difference in my D34! 8)  The rifle has always been a tack driver, but the poi constantly changed, by as much as an inch, sometimes more.  I have always used the artillery hold, but this rifle was extremely hold sensitive, so I would basically need to use reference marks to position the rifle to get a consistent poi, and even that sometimes didn't work. :o  So, after reading this thread, and urged on by Timmy Mac, I gave the soft bedding a try, and VOILA!!! ;D  The rifle is no longer hold sensitive, and will group, even changing where and how it is supported!  The bedding has also made the rifle much quieter, due no doubt to the insulating property of the foam.  I am thrilled with the results!  Thank you, Mike, for your discovery, and thank you Timmy for making this info and material available to us. ;D ;D ;D

Mike has a Great Idea and I just want the max number of people to benefit from the information. It works to make Springers far More shootable. To an accuracy nut like me that is HUGE! I shot Springers for a dozen years and would have loved to have had this going on. I did everything else under the sun (but that) and it makes me a little ticked I didn't think of it. I did the first ultra Carbine, Brownells & Mercury Rams, low CG, Venom Trophy Wood etc but I never put elastomers in a sandwich. I have done it (a lot) since. TimmyMac1

Offline donr

• Shooter
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »
Question for TimmyMac1

Do you still have the 1/8 neoprene available? If not, can you point me in a direction to buy some?
Thank you, Don
  • Rock Hill, SC

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »
Question for TimmyMac1

Do you still have the 1/8 neoprene available? If not, can you point me in a direction to buy some?
Thank you, Don
You can pick it up on line armaflex insulating tape it is neoprene tape ~2" wide and 20 ft on the roll or try Lowes & Home Depot
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut
Beeman RX-2 .20 cal
BSA R-10 MK II SE .22 FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline avator

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2015, 01:07:19 AM »
Glad you guys brought this thread back around. I recently picked up a Silent Cat at the local pawn shop. I REALLY HATE PLASTIC !!!! And that echo in my ear is the main reason. I've already cut a few coils off the spring. I didn't need a gun that shoots MACH I+ (as they say this will..... yeah right).... anyhow, I am impressed at the accuracy so far so I think it may be worth a little more tinkering before I get bored and sell it. I'm going to see if Lowes has any of this stuff in stock and give it a shot on  the SC.  Why wouldn't I?
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama
Favorite Everyday Shooters:
Sam Yang Sumatra 2500 carbine .25
Urban .22
AirMax Varmint w/ .22 CP-2 long barrel
AirMax Plinkster .177
CP1 .177 Mini Carbine
CP2 w/ .177 Varmint long barrel
XS-60C GenI .22
2-22XX Carbine HPA .177
2240 Stubby .22
Blaze NP .177
3-M/M Daisy 881
2-Mendoza RM377 .177
2-XS-12 .177
1-Hatsan 1000x .177 Carbine (Pvt. Stryker)
Various Others

AirMax Extreme MKII 4500 (for the tanks)
Vevor Basic. (for the road)
Vintage - too many to list

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.