Deburring riflings - JB Bore Paste?

Author Topic: Deburring riflings - JB Bore Paste?  (Read 10750 times))

Turbolung

Deburring riflings - JB Bore Paste?
« on: May 25, 2013, 11:50:28 PM »
Can anyone tell me if 20 full passes with bore paste and a nylon bore brush on a new factory barrel is enough? I want to bring the best I can out of what I got... And if I can debur and smooth out imperfections for better accuracy I want to do it right..   

Offline Dick Tracey

• Sharp Shooter
  • It Is What It Is, Because It Is
Re: Deburring riflings - JB Bore Paste?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:23:47 AM »
I usually do about 15 passes with JB Bore paste changing out the patch after every five passes.  Clean barrel and then about 15 passes with Simichrome and clean.  Check the bore and it not mirror smooth repeat.

DT
  • Knoxville, TN
Smooth Twist Technology

It Is What It Is, Because It Is

Dick Tracey

Offline hogie

• Shooter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 12:27:26 AM »
i agree with mr DT

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »
I've recently been using a method recommended to my by SeanMP who laps barrels regularly.... I use the VFG cleaning pellets in the appropriate size, two of them screwed onto their brass adapter.... I got the one with 8-32 threads to fit my cleaning rod.... You put some oil on the pellets and add some JBs Bore Paste (coarse) and working from the breech polish the bore 100 strokes full length, but trying not to push the pellets all the way through the muzzle.... I add more Bore Paste about every 25 strokes.... Then I do 4 strokes an inch short of the muzzle, 4 more 2" short, 4 more 3" short of the muzzle, etc. so that the breech end gets a total of 200 strokes but the muzzle end only 100.... I then clean the bore with solvent and patches until all the bore paste has been removed and then repeat the entire process using new cleaning pellets and JB Bore Bright (fine).... followed by a thorough cleaning and one patch lightly oiled.... By the time I'm done, the bore is like a mirror, and the chamber and leade are completely smoothed up....

Once you have put at least 100 rounds through the barrel, polish using the same method, but 10-25 strokes, full length, with the fine Bore Bright only.... You are trying to remove excess lead, but leave the lead in the micro scratches in the bore.... You repeat this process until the groups no longer tighten up.... After that, the barrel seldom needs cleaning.... I've only just begun to use this method, but it certainly seems to make a difference.... Sean seems to get miraculous results, it's pretty neat when you see a barrel from a QB pass the "Feinwerkbau Test" where you can put a pellet in the hole in a paper target made by a 5-shot group at 10M and it doesn't fall out.... This is from my .224 cal Hayabusa....

That's a 41.5 gr. RN bullet sitting in the hole from a 5 shot group at 7 yards (all the distance I have indoors).... The gun shoots those at ~1030 fps, the same power as a .22LR target load.... The .22 Hornet barrel was prepared as above....

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), .22 QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Bench PCP, 6mm Regulated PCP and .257 Unregulated, Two BRods.

Turbolung

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
So its safe to run another 20 passes with the nylon brush? Hard to believe a nylon brush will remove burrs.. 

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
I've never used a Nylon brush.... I did try a cotton swab, but they weren't tight enough, so I use Bore Paste and Bore Brite on tight fitting VFG felt cleaning pellets.... It's not the felt (or nylon) that does the work, it's the abrasive.... It embeds into the felt and acts like a plug of sandpaper that conforms to the bore and spins as it goes up and down the rifling.... That is why it's important to use a cleaning rod that can rotate in the handle.... so that the felt pellet can follow the rifling grooves and not slide across them....

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Airsonal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), .22 QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Bench PCP, 6mm Regulated PCP and .257 Unregulated, Two BRods.

Offline cooter472

• if its black and flys its dead
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »
I've recently been using a method recommended to my by SeanMP who laps barrels regularly.... I use the VFG cleaning pellets in the appropriate size, two of them screwed onto their brass adapter.... I got the one with 8-32 threads to fit my cleaning rod.... You put some oil on the pellets and add some JBs Bore Paste (coarse) and working from the breech polish the bore 100 strokes full length, but trying not to push the pellets all the way through the muzzle.... I add more Bore Paste about every 25 strokes.... Then I do 4 strokes an inch short of the muzzle, 4 more 2" short, 4 more 3" short of the muzzle, etc. so that the breech end gets a total of 200 strokes but the muzzle end only 100.... I then clean the bore with solvent and patches until all the bore paste has been removed and then repeat the entire process using new cleaning pellets and JB Bore Bright (fine).... followed by a thorough cleaning and one patch lightly oiled.... By the time I'm done, the bore is like a mirror, and the chamber and leade are completely smoothed up....

Once you have put at least 100 rounds through the barrel, polish using the same method, but 10-25 strokes, full length, with the fine Bore Bright only.... You are trying to remove excess lead, but leave the lead in the micro scratches in the bore.... You repeat this process until the groups no longer tighten up.... After that, the barrel seldom needs cleaning.... I've only just begun to use this method, but it certainly seems to make a difference.... Sean seems to get miraculous results, it's pretty neat when you see a barrel from a QB pass the "Feinwerkbau Test" where you can put a pellet in the hole in a paper target made by a 5-shot group at 10M and it doesn't fall out.... This is from my .224 cal Hayabusa....

That's a 41.5 gr. RN bullet sitting in the hole from a 5 shot group at 7 yards (all the distance I have indoors).... The gun shoots those at ~1030 fps, the same power as a .22LR target load.... The .22 Hornet barrel was prepared as above....

Bob
Do they make a jag adapter for the .177 felt pellets, cant seem to find one. smallest I found was .22 Thanks
  • Hanover, In
S-Rod .25
Gamo Hunter 220 .177 rough
Gamo Bone Collector .177 IGT Tuned myself
CDT GRT-4G trigger
JM seal
Hawke Sidewinder 4-16X50 scope
Crossman 2200 Magnum

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "EXPERIENCE" ... Our Reward For Lifes Mistakes
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Yup need to use a SNUG fitting patchs and a good rod that rotates within handle freely.
Also do 50-100 pass's followed up with semi-chrome polish and a good cleaning.

**Just what I do personally ...
Final treatment is running a patch with Paste wax up and down a 1/2 doz times, let bore with wax on it dry for an hour or so and then a couple dry patches to clear it.

Deadly accurate barrel after that.  Also use Krytek treated pellets  ;)
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline OleTomCat

• Tree Rats Beware.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
    • GTA Web Map
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
This looks interesting, where can one get the jag, pellets and paste to do this?
  • Summerville, SC
Home Of Air Guns Inc.
Air Gun Tuning and Targets

Air Guns:
Sheridan Blue Streak, aka The Blue Demon Rebuilt Steroid Style By Mac1.
FWB-124 with ARH Old School Kit.
Gamo Silent Cat, tuned by Me, smooth as butter.
Gamo CFR
SamYang Dragon Claw .50
Hatsan BT65: Big Nasty
FD PCP: PNG
Benjamin Maximus: Needs Work
Crosman Custom Shop 2300: Just fun

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:40:38 AM »
Brownells....

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Airsonal:

Offline tjcib

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 07:18:38 PM »
Resurrecting old thread...

When you say "100 passes", does a pass count as down the barrel and back, or is down one pass and back is the second pass?

Yes, I'm OCD.
  • Richmond, VA
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/ TKO LDC
Daisy 953 w/ red dot ("for my son")
Diana 27

2015 squirrel count = 20

My ongoing Disco Mod list (in progress) https://sites.google.com/site/benjamindiscoverymodlists/

Offline sshewins

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 08:00:28 PM »
I do pretty much the same thing. I used a jag from Walmart with a small patch with a finger tip smear of the paste and some 30 weight oil. Down and up was one pass. Did 10 passes, tossed the patch. Reloaded another patch, and stopped 1" +/-, and repeated til I only pushed the jag down an inch or so from breech side. Never pushed all the way through the muzzle side. 24" barrel = a lot of passes. Then for giggles, I just did random depth passes fairy quick. Barrel got real warm when I was done.

Compared to an unpolished barrel I have, while shining a flashlight from one end and looking into the other end, it was a night and day improvement. Super shiny.
Crosman 2289g.     24" barrel, steel breech, CP 3-9 X40, polished trigger, AC Customs FT piston, trigger spring w/ guide,  7" LDC, Airgun Alchemy FT valve, pivot pin, extended probe bolt.

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
Resurrecting old thread...

When you say "100 passes", does a pass count as down the barrel and back, or is down one pass and back is the second pass?

Yes, I'm OCD.

Each trip one way is a pass, return trip is not counted.
Tho honestly being so little material is being removed / polished really does not matter if end results end up the same place .... No ?

Offline mobilemail

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
Where do you get Krytek? Would it be under any other names?
  • Greene County IL 62016
Let's tell Illinois that airguns are not firearms!  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=117529.0

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 08:18:04 PM »
Where do you get Krytek? Would it be under any other names?

Finish Line products.  It is a Chain lube product.

Offline nervoustrigger

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The Grin Reaper
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »
Trevor,

Like Scott said, there is so little material being removed that there is nothing magical about the number 100...meaning whether you do 100 passes (in & out), or 50 in + 50 out and count it as 100, you'll do no wrong.  Barrels differ in the amount of polishing necessary to achieve optimal performance based on how good or bad they are to begin with.  That's why some folks will polish a bit, shoot some groups, then polish some more, and shoot some more groups to see if there was an incremental improvement.  Repeat until there is no improvement.

I'm a little OCD too so I understand your apprehension of either doing too much polishing so you end up doing more harm than good, or doing too little polishing and not really doing any good.  To that end, 100 passes is probably about as likely to be the right number for an arbitrary barrel as is the number 50 or 200.   

I would say the technique and the tools and materials are more important than the number.  Work from the breech end, progressively less polishing at the muzzle than at the breech, don't exit the crown (muzzle), use a good non-embedding ball bearing rod, oil the patches (or VFG pellets) to help float away the swarf so the bore paste can work effectively, etc.

Offline GoneShootn

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »
I've recently been using a method recommended to my by SeanMP who laps barrels regularly.... I use the VFG cleaning pellets in the appropriate size, two of them screwed onto their brass adapter.... I got the one with 8-32 threads to fit my cleaning rod....

Does that take care of the sharp edges at the beginning of the rifling and in the transfer port?
  • Barnesville, Georgia
Benjamin Marauder .25, Gen 2, Hawke Sidewinder 6-24x56
Hatsan AT44 Long .25, synthetic stock, tuned by BWalton, Hawke Airmax 4-16x50
Hatsan AT44 Short .177, synthetic stock, Centerpoint 4-16x40
Hatsan AT44 Tactical QE .22, Hawke Vantage 4-12x40
LDC aka moderator aka suppressor by BWalton, used for both non-QE Hatsans
ShoeboxMax compressor
California Air Tools 5510SE booster compressor
Ninja 90 cu in carbon fiber bottle
Hill MK3 pump
MRodAir (Huben) pump

Offline nervoustrigger

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The Grin Reaper
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »
No, if it were aggressive enough to deburr the transfer port and leade, it would be too harsh for the bore.  Use some 320 or 400 grit paper on a dowel or skewer to take care of those areas first before polishing the bore.

Offline Motorhead

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 09:09:50 PM »
I've recently been using a method recommended to my by SeanMP who laps barrels regularly.... I use the VFG cleaning pellets in the appropriate size, two of them screwed onto their brass adapter.... I got the one with 8-32 threads to fit my cleaning rod....

Does that take care of the sharp edges at the beginning of the rifling and in the transfer port?

Actual Burrs, sharp edges, need a MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE approach to eliminate.  Generally done with specific tooling allowing SPOT touch up work without wearing away on areas not needing it.

Cratex points sized to get at and a shape fitted to task at hand can be very useful.

Offline K.O.

• Eternally Tinkering
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »
I like to fire lap my Crosman barrels some need 20+ shots some just a couple...
  • The Great Northwest, United States, Washington
PC77 steel breech 18.7" barrel,  700 fps @ 15 & 755 @ 20 pumps with 7.4g Crosman points

1322 steel breech 14.5" barrel, 640-650 fps @ 22 pumps w/14.3g CPHP

1322 MLT steel breech 19" barrel, 682 fps @ 22 pumps w/14.3g CPHP,  13xx/66 hybrid

1322XLT 22" barrel, 700 fps  @ 11 pumps & 750 @ 16 w/14.3g CPHP,   13xx/2100 hybrid

MK-1322 steel breech 22" barrel, 750 fps @ 17 pumps & 805 @ 22 w/14.3g CPHP,   Mk-177/2240/13xx hybrid

U.S. Shooting Team 953  reduced valve, 525 fps w/ 7.4g points

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?