Pyramyd Air
Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets

Author Topic: Pump and Effort?  (Read 5728 times))

Offline bowzette

• Plinker
  • yes
Pump and Effort?
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
I have a couple of springers.  Was giving some thought to a Marauder.  I don't think I want the expense and hassle of scuba gear to fill.  How well do the pumps like Hill and FX work?  Is the "pain worth the pleasure"..  The simple cock, load and shoot of the springers I've found appealing.  I do this to relax and don't want to add complications to life.  I only weigh 140 so I don't have a lot of beef to be fighting a high pressure pump if that is what these pumps are like.
  • Huntsville, Texas
HW97 Mark 611 tuned
HW80 Mark 611 "Super Build" and tuned
R7 Paul Watts tuned
FWB 300S
LGV Master Scott tuned

Offline CobraBD408

• Shooter
  • yes
Re: Pump and Effort?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »
Springer's are fun and only require a cock of the barrel or lever for the next shot.  Springer's, as you know, are more difficult to shot with accuracy, but if you master the proper techniques they can be tack drivers.  I am 64 years old and weigh about 185 and my health is good.  PCP guns are easy to pump for me up to about 180 bar but after that the effect to get my PCP guns up to 200 or 230 bar, for me is about double.  You can't pump a PCP gun with your upper body only at this point but most of the work is accomplished with your thighs and gluts.  If you know someone with a PCP gun and they use a pump ask them if you can pump up their gun.  Some people don't recommend anyone that weighs less than 140 pounds utilize a pump to fill a gun and recommend a tank with the appropriate attachments for your gun.  I am very new to air gunning so maybe others with more experience can add their opinions.  Hope this helps you make a decision regarding a PCP gun.

Mike
  • AZ, Chandler
RWS Diana Model 45 .177 '89
Daystate Huntsman XL .22
CZ 200 .22 bench rest
Air Arm S410 Classic FAC .22
Evanix Rainstorm 3D bull pup .22
FWB Model 65 match spring pistol .177
FAS .177 match pistol

Offline SwampDonkey

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
Personally I don't think pumping to 3k is hard at all...time consuming yes but not hard...I am also 6'1" 260# so YMMV
  • Albany ohio

Offline Dick Tracey

• Sharp Shooter
  • It Is What It Is, Because It Is
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
I am 5' 9" and weigh 220 lbs.  I started out with a discovery and hand pump kit.  The discovery is not hard to pump but it only goes to 2000 PSI.  When I purchased my Mrod I used the hand pump and it works but, from 2000 to 3000 PSI it is a little more difficult.  If you want to shoot more than 2 or three magazine's then you have to pump again.  Pumping is slow and methodical, not because of difficulty but to keep pump from heating to much.  I am not the best of shape and after pumping I had to rest in order to be able to shoot accurately.  However, having two PCP's I found I would start out with the Mrod fully charged shoot it down to about 2500 PSI and then pump back up.  Then I would switch to the Disco and shoot it down to 1200 PSI.  Pump it back up and switch to Mrod.  I would end up with Mrod shot down to 2000 PSI but I would pump up over the next couple of days for next shooting session. 

Later I was able to get a 30 min SCBA tank and it really changed my shooting attitude, I could shoot down to the lower extreme and refill rifle and continues shooting without resting.  I still use the pump for smaller fills such as paintball tanks, 2260 Hypak, etc.

I guess,what I am saying, for me, the hand pump was useable untill I decided I really liked PCP and wanted to shoot more than pump.  There are other options out there but I feel I went the least expensive way to get into PCP usage.

DT
  • Knoxville, TN
Smooth Twist Technology

It Is What It Is, Because It Is

Dick Tracey

Offline GarthThomas

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »
I'm 5'7", 175 and for a while I was pumping to about 2600 psi. but it was difficult. After a couple weeks it got easier but still required concentration to keep from over straining and the palms of  my hands were starting to tingle from pressure on the nerves. I have since tuned down my rifle so I only pump to 1500psi which now seems incredibly easy. I think unless you are a gymnist or at least lift your weight 50 times on some parallel bars 140lbs. would be pushing it. You could tie some weights around your neck, it would be one heck of a workout. Of course this is JMO.
  • Goderich, Ontario, Canada
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who donít.

Offline Remo

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »
When I was in the process of buying my first PCP and supporting gear I went to a brick and mortar store (Cobra Airguns before it went bad and out of business) and actually tried a pump.  They hooked it up to a rifle for me and I got a sense of the effort required by pumping up the reservoir in the store.  I stopped short of filling the rifle completely, realizing that although I could do the job,  I would enjoy shooting more and working less by filling with a tank.  Haven't looked back since.

AA S410 .177
Talon SS .22/.177
Crosman NPSS .177
Beeman R-7 .177
Beeman C-1 .177
Crosman M4-177
Daisy 953 .177
Beeman P-1 .177
Beeman P-3 .177
Crosman 2240s
Colt 1911 .177
Sig Sauer X-Five Open (BB Blowback)
Tanfoglio 1911 Witness (BB Blowback)

Offline girwin

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »
I am not filling my Maurader up past 2500#'s pressure. Any effort above that with my Hill pump is quite a strain on my 60 year old body. And I weigh considerably more than you too...lol..I shoot targets at a range of 50 feet in my basement and really don't need any more pressure than that. I shoot 20 shots, go pump about 55 pumps and ready again. I probably can back down to maybe 2200 #'s pressure if I wanted but pumping to 2500 #'s  in two 26 pump intervals is not hard for me to accomplish. Onother option for me is since I only pump 25 pumps and then wait and let the pump cool down, I will shoot ten shots, then pump 26 times and shoot another ten, so on & so on. 26 pumps or so under 2500 #'s and especially under 2000 #'s is not too terribly difficult for me to accomplish and only takes a few minutes. In my mind alot better than the alternative ($$$)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:04:09 PM by girwin »
  • doylestown, ohio
Air Arms TX200 .177/Beech
RWS 48 .177 (older gal) T01 / Vortek Tuned
RWS 34 .177 T06 / Maccari Tuned
RWS 350 Feuerkraft .177 T05
HW50s .22
HW97K 25mm .177 / Vortek tuned
Benjamin Trail NP .22
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Marauder .22 ( New critter gun)
Crosman 2300KT custom/ LW .177 Barrel

Offline bowzette

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »
Thanks for the relies.  I think the pump may not be the way to go and enjoy the shooting.  If I'm not prepared to invest in a light weight compressed air container and hoses, regulators whatever is needed to connect to the AR I'll just stick with the springers.  I can see more money in refill equipment than the cost of the AR.  Plus I like to step into the backyard and shoot without a lot of hassle.
  • Huntsville, Texas
HW97 Mark 611 tuned
R7 Paul Watts tuned
FWB 300S
LGV Master Scott tuned

Offline Macky

• Plinker
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »
Thanks for the relies.  I think the pump may not be the way to go and enjoy the shooting.  If I'm not prepared to invest in a light weight compressed air container and hoses, regulators whatever is needed to connect to the AR I'll just stick with the springers.  I can see more money in refill equipment than the cost of the AR.  Plus I like to step into the backyard and shoot without a lot of hassle.

I don't own a pcp yet (so can't offer any help regarding a pump), but just recently started to make the plunge into pcp. Realizing there is much upfront expense, I am choosing the slow road. I would like to get the new synthetic marauder. Being that it's not to be released until June/July, gives me time to save and purchase all the support equipment first. My first buy was a used CF 4500 psi tank. I'll need a fill assembly so that will be next. Slowly but surely, by the time the new syn-rod ships, I'll have everything I need. Once you get the support equipment, spending the money on the guns that use them, will be easier to swallow. 
  • Edgerton, Wisconsin
Gamo Silent Stalker Whisper .177 CDT Trigger Leapers 4-16x56 Etched Reticle AO w/IR
Woods Walker P-Rod .22 Leapers 4-16x56 Etched Reticle AO w/IR
2013 Pest Count  Hosps: 42 -Crows: 4- Groundhog: 1 - Chipper: 7 - Black Bird: 12 - C-Rat: 1 - Starling: 9- Coon: 1
One day, I'll be "Shooting flies off the backs of dead chipmunks, at 100 yards" Captn Jax Macky

Offline bowzette

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »
Sounds like a good approach Macky
  • Huntsville, Texas
HW97 Mark 611 tuned
R7 Paul Watts tuned
FWB 300S
LGV Master Scott tuned

Offline Mebits

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »
I personally don't have any problem with pumping and welcome the bit of exercise. I'm taking my QB up to 3000psi and shoot 70 shots down to 1100.

It's a lot of pumping, but not a big deal. Even if I had resources and space for a tank, I think I'd only use it for range or field back up, when I don't want to take the time to pump it back up. That may just be me. Bowzette, I'd give one a test before a made a commitment either way. I will tell you, I really like my pcp. It's VERY nice to shoot 60 or 70 shots at a sitting, building hole in hole groups, regardless of the temperature. Personally, I doubt I'll go back to a springer, though I may just to have a back up if I think such is needed for a special circumstance.
When hunting zombie starlings, there are two approaches. The first approach is the "Double-Tap". The alternative is cutting their heads off and putting toothpicks through their hearts.

It's your choice.

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • News and entertainment
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 09:06:34 PM »
Tedius, not hard, 5'5" here 150# almost 50, been pumping big air hogs for years
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix REX Carbine         .357  180 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine    .357  150 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine II  .357  150 FPE
Evanix RainStorm  II            .30  100 FPE
Evanix RainStorm  II           .30   85  FPE
Evanix Storm Mini-Carbine  .30   70  FPE
Evanix Storm II Carbine     .25   70  FPE
Evanix MAX-ML                 .25   65  FPE
Evanix Storm II Model 70   .25   50  FPE

Offline funchuck

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:19:57 AM »
I bought my first pcp last week, a .22 marauder and I chose the hand pump route.  I also weight 140 (5'8"). 

From my research, I wasn't sure if I can pump this thing because some people had mentioned that it was very difficult. 

When I first got it, I pumped it very slowly.  It was very easy up until 2000 psi.  Then, it was very, very difficult.  I kept looking at the pressure gauge to check my progress and it was so tiring!  But, I found that my pumping technique was bad.  I was moving the pump handle slowly, but the trick is, when pumping down, it should be one quick, fluid motion.  When the handle is extended all the way up, I put all my weight into it, using my arms and kind of jump into it.  I can bring the handle all the way down very easily like this.  Also, you need to pause at the top and bottom of each stroke. 

Once I figured this out, it is very easy to pump to 3000 psi.  When I first figured it out, I accidentally, pumped a tad over 3000 because it was so much easier.
  • Diamond Bar, CA
Benjamin Marauder Rifle .22
Crosman 1720T
Crosman 1377

Offline bowzette

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »
thanks All for the information
  • Huntsville, Texas
HW97 Mark 611 tuned
R7 Paul Watts tuned
FWB 300S
LGV Master Scott tuned

Offline Uncle Steve

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
I am in the same boat as you, but I already ordered a Prod.  I am looking at all of my options at this point to fill it.  A friend of mine is big into the PCP's and I will try pumping his up first but i think I am leaning towards a tank system.  A good Hand punp will cost almost $300 for about $130 more I can get a 18 cu ft cylinder all set up and have the convience of just filling the gun when needed.
  • Hubbardston, MA

Offline Macky

• Plinker
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
  Ok, a little update. I just got a P-Rod WW this week, as well as a Benji Pump. I am 6'5" 200 lbs, filling from zero took about 100 pumps (lost count really, but that's my good guess after filling from zero once). For me I might build a riser block to put the pump on, as the bottom of the pump stroke seems low for me. Alternately, you could build a stool to stand on, if your shorter in height. From zero to about 2000 was a walk in the park. Getting it up to 2900, the last 3-4 inches of the down stroke was the hardest. Realistically,  with a stock P-Rod, my initial shot string testing, puts me at 2600 psi for the best curve. With a lower fill pressure, it would be easier for smaller-shorter persons to pump it.  Just my observations.
  • Edgerton, Wisconsin
Gamo Silent Stalker Whisper .177 CDT Trigger Leapers 4-16x56 Etched Reticle AO w/IR
Woods Walker P-Rod .22 Leapers 4-16x56 Etched Reticle AO w/IR
2013 Pest Count  Hosps: 42 -Crows: 4- Groundhog: 1 - Chipper: 7 - Black Bird: 12 - C-Rat: 1 - Starling: 9- Coon: 1
One day, I'll be "Shooting flies off the backs of dead chipmunks, at 100 yards" Captn Jax Macky