How to fill your airgun from a SCBA tank setup

Author Topic: How to fill your airgun from a SCBA tank setup  (Read 17500 times))

Offline MustangMike

• GTA Senior Contributor
How to fill your airgun from a SCBA tank setup
« on: August 12, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
Alrighty guys, I made a request to tpatner412 if he could make a video detailing the process for filling airguns from a scba tank with a normal scba valve and not a slow fill valve. It helped me a lot to make my mind up on weither or not I wanted to spend the money for a slow fill valve and the 30 bucks shipping to have it installed or if i just wanted to get a fill assembly for it and go from there.

So it helped me a LOT and I hope it will help others out there considering a tank setup with the same safety concerns about filling from a tank.

A huge thank you goes out to tyler aka tpatner412 for this video

Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:55:26 PM by MustangMike »
  • atx
.25 hatsan at44s-10 (down the road)
.22 disco,  bnm breech & shroud, katana stock, 7" tube extension, leapers 3-12x40AO
.22 ccs 2400kt, extensively modified using the sikes touch.

www.airgunlab.com
www.discosrus.net
Cera Kote services: ddgrego---Designsbydink

Offline Tpatner412

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: How to fill your airgun from a SCBA tank setup
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
Thanks for posting this Mike.

If anyone has specific questions about the set up or anything you would like to know about the process for filling guns from a SCBA tank, please do not hesitate to ask!

Tyler
  • Cleveland, OH
Pyramyd Insyder
Pyramyd Air Field Target Team

Current Stable: 
Anschutz 9015 HP One .177
Ripley AR5s .177, Gary Cane Stock
Ripley AR5s .177, CS1000 Stock
FWB 601
Steyr LG10
Beeman HW77 .177 (25mm)

Offline MustangMike

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:01:39 AM »
Thanks for posting this Mike.

If anyone has specific questions about the set up or anything you would like to know about the process for filling guns from a SCBA tank, please do not hesitate to ask!

Tyler

your welcome buddy and again thank you for making that. you did save me the roughly 70 bucks difference with shipping my tank to have the slow fill valve installed.

and ya guys tyler has been a huge help with answering my questions since i got my tank. just know with hpa it is far better to ask rather then not to ask and have a accident because odds are a hpa accident isnt going to be walked away from. maybe rolled away on a stretcher or limped away from at best..
  • atx
.25 hatsan at44s-10 (down the road)
.22 disco,  bnm breech & shroud, katana stock, 7" tube extension, leapers 3-12x40AO
.22 ccs 2400kt, extensively modified using the sikes touch.

www.airgunlab.com
www.discosrus.net
Cera Kote services: ddgrego---Designsbydink

Offline TleVta

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
Noob checking in. First time I've been in this section of the forum, so I'd like to ask:

I've spotted a deal for a paintball 48cu/3000 PSI HPA setup on CL. Tank and fill station for $120 obo. I thought of offering $75 for the tank and buying the line and bleed valve separate. Is that a good idea?

Thinking of getting a Disco down the road.
  • Ventura, CA
"Only accurate rifles are interesting".
--Colonel Townsend Whelen---
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsend_Whelen

Offline oneied

• Expert
  • In the land of the blind, the Oneied man is king!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:15 PM »
Where can fill adaptors be purchased?  Im a member of a local fire department and have access to scba bottles and compressor
  • Brewster, NY
CP-1M .177
Diana 52 T01 .177 Sidewinder 30 4-16x50 SR Pro
AirForce Talon SS .22 Sidewinder 30 6-24x56 20x 1/2 mil dot
AirForce Edge TSI adaptive
B-21 MM tuned .22 UTG 4-12x44 SWAT
XS46U .22 MM gas rammed - 4x32 Xbow scope
Beeman Stage 1 P-17 - THANKS STALWART! Fixed
MRod .177 Panorama EV Map 6a 4-16x50
Baikal IZH-60 diopter sights

Offline aack73

• Nitrogen is the way to go :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »
there are several options out there for good fill assemblies. there is a lot of pressure in these systems and its important to have the proper rated stuff for your safety. here are 4 that i know of and dealt with :)

http://www.airhog.com/A9_Charging_Kits.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories/PCP_and_CO2_accs/PCP/80

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/

http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/co2-hpa-parts-s/1837.htm

most of these guys will custom build it any way you want it. just contact them and explain what you need. or get there ready made kit. :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:59:26 PM by aack73 »
"come over to the darkside you knob"

Offline NinjaPaintballRay

• Marksman
  • yes
    • Ninja Paintball
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »
Where can fill adaptors be purchased?  Im a member of a local fire department and have access to scba bottles and compressor

We manufacture several different filling devices for several large gun companies including Benjamin.  Here's a list of some different options for you in case you want to see what we manufacture.  These are manufactured here in the United States:

http://www.pyramydair.com/search-results-ext?Ntt=benjamin+fill&sid=1375A617A415&N=0&Ntk=primary&q=benjamin+fill&cx=002970863286801882398:jlcminxfwdw&cof=FORID:11;NB:1&saSearch&jsessionid=3024877BDD54F99C7CA2DA64BFE0D421.app03

We also have another device that also serves other purposes.  The device attaches to large 6000psi bulk tanks with a CGA-677 fitting or to SCBA bottles with a DIN 300 valve.  The device allows you to control the output pressure by external adjustment.  The output pressure for this device can be set anywhere from 500psi all the way up to 5000psi by turning an adjustment screw and using one of the two gauges supplied with the device.  If you have several guns rated at different pressures, this would be an ideal fit. 

Another purpose this device serves is a regulator while being tethered.  Attach it to an SCBA tank using the DIN 300 fitting, set the output pressure to the optimum pressure your gun requires to get the most optimal shots, attach a properly rated hose and use properly rated fittings and tether the SCBA bottle and fill device and go have fun :)  This will eliminate the whole bell curve if your gun does not already come with a regulator.

Here's a picture of the device.

If you have any questions about our products or filling in general, feel free to use me as a resource.  877-646-5287 x309 (Rob)
  • Crystal Lake, IL

Offline oneied

• Expert
  • In the land of the blind, the Oneied man is king!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 08:16:59 PM »
I would just need to go from a Scott scba bottle to a foster fitting with a bleed valve in between
  • Brewster, NY
CP-1M .177
Diana 52 T01 .177 Sidewinder 30 4-16x50 SR Pro
AirForce Talon SS .22 Sidewinder 30 6-24x56 20x 1/2 mil dot
AirForce Edge TSI adaptive
B-21 MM tuned .22 UTG 4-12x44 SWAT
XS46U .22 MM gas rammed - 4x32 Xbow scope
Beeman Stage 1 P-17 - THANKS STALWART! Fixed
MRod .177 Panorama EV Map 6a 4-16x50
Baikal IZH-60 diopter sights

Offline maraudernwalker

• POWDER? WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING POWDER!!
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
Another thing I do is to have more than one bottle use one bottle down until your past usable pressure then top off with other bottle, that way you get to use more of the air from the bottle so you aren't refilling tank at 2000psi it has saved me a lot of money and time this way.
  • Topeka Il.
Kevin Lohnes

Offline cooter472

• if its black and flys its dead
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
stupid question, what keeps the air from escaping the gun reservoir when you open the bleeder
  • Hanover, In
S-Rod .25
Gamo Hunter 220 .177 rough
Gamo Bone Collector .177 IGT Tuned myself
CDT GRT-4G trigger
JM seal
Hawke Sidewinder 4-16X50 scope
Crossman 2200 Magnum

Offline vigilandy

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
stupid question, what keeps the air from escaping the gun reservoir when you open the bleeder

Same thing that keeps the air in when the fill hose isn't attached-- the check valve in the air fitting on the gun side.  Bleed fast to keep from losing air.   

I just invested in CF tanks so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.  I've watched this video a few times.   :P  You in the same boat?

• Central Valley, CA

Offline Pellgunfun

• Sharp Shooter
  • If text is personal, why would you ask?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »

Same thing that keeps the air in when the fill hose isn't attached-- the check valve in the air fitting on the gun side.  Bleed fast to keep from losing air.   

I just invested in CF tanks so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.  I've watched this video a few times.   :P  You in the same boat?

Wait.... What????

So if you bleed the air off slowly it will cause your fill pressure to leak out?

I filled my BAM B50 to 2900 psi the other day.  Once finished I turned off the valve to my scuba tank and SLOWLY cracked the bleed screw on my re-fill gauge.  It took about 3 or 4 minutes for the air to stop making noise.  Then I disconnected the gauge and put the rifle away.  They next day I loaded to fire and shot, and click... nothing happened.  Sounded like a dead thud.  I re-filled the rifle and went on shooting without any problems.  I fired about 15 or so rounds, and put the rifle away.  I just checked it earlier, and it is still full, and producing a MV of 820 fps.

So I screwed myself by bleeding slowly? 
Mrod-Air P-12, in .22 cal
BAM XS B-50, in .22 cal

Offline Big Bore Bart

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 12:36:04 AM »
  Yep.   That's also how you degas for maintenance.  Followed of course by a couple of dry fires to make sure it's empty. ;)
  • Oroville,  CA
1377V2 FT P&V, custom steel breech
766V2 FT P&V, M-Rod style breech o-ring, pin probe, light springs, trigger work.
Custom 22 pumper. 2260 barrel, 13xx grip, FT P&V, side lever breech, 8" stroke pump
1971 Crosman 1400 O-ring piston, 13xx t-port, opened ports
1989 Crosman 2200 Magnum V3 in process of PCP conversion
1962 C180 (JC Higgens) .22  (needs a tube)
1972 C760 SC  No mods, may be come a .22
2100 PCP conversion
.25 gen1 Mrod under reconstruction
 1940's Atlas 10" lathe

Offline Vertguy

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 12:50:17 AM »

We manufacture several different filling devices for several large gun companies including Benjamin.  Here's a list of some different options for you in case you want to see what we manufacture.  These are manufactured here in the United States:

http://www.pyramydair.com/search-results-ext?Ntt=benjamin+fill&sid=1375A617A415&N=0&Ntk=primary&q=benjamin+fill&cx=002970863286801882398:jlcminxfwdw&cof=FORID:11;NB:1&saSearch&jsessionid=3024877BDD54F99C7CA2DA64BFE0D421.app03

We also have another device that also serves other purposes.  The device attaches to large 6000psi bulk tanks with a CGA-677 fitting or to SCBA bottles with a DIN 300 valve.  The device allows you to control the output pressure by external adjustment.  The output pressure for this device can be set anywhere from 500psi all the way up to 5000psi by turning an adjustment screw and using one of the two gauges supplied with the device.  If you have several guns rated at different pressures, this would be an ideal fit. 

Another purpose this device serves is a regulator while being tethered.  Attach it to an SCBA tank using the DIN 300 fitting, set the output pressure to the optimum pressure your gun requires to get the most optimal shots, attach a properly rated hose and use properly rated fittings and tether the SCBA bottle and fill device and go have fun :)  This will eliminate the whole bell curve if your gun does not already come with a regulator.

Here's a picture of the device.

If you have any questions about our products or filling in general, feel free to use me as a resource.  877-646-5287 x309 (Rob)

You guys are just south of me... I will call tomorrow as this could be a good option for my desire to go bulk fill.
  • Lake Geneva, WI
1377: 14", TKO, 1701P trigger, RB grips
2400KT: .177 LW, TKO, 1701P trigger, RB grips
FX MK2 Verminator .22

Offline Pellgunfun

• Sharp Shooter
  • If text is personal, why would you ask?
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
  Yep.   That's also how you degas for maintenance.  Followed of course by a couple of dry fires to make sure it's empty. ;)

Well, I'll be darned.

I was thinking that I had a slow leak somewhere in the gun.  I had no idea I had de-gassed the gun.  Jokes on me:-)  When I loaded that first shot and fired the gun just said, "poof".  It had barely enough air the push the pellet about 1/2 inch down the barrel.  When I connected my gauge to re-fill, it "clicked" at about 150 psi when I slowly cracked the valve open on my scuba tank.  So I guess the reservoir pressure was down to about 150 psi.  Currently I'm using a 3500 psi High pressure steel scuba tank.  It's the 80 cubic foot size.  I've got two of these since I'm also into scuba diving:-)  They seem to work great.

Glad to know it was me and not the rifle:-)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:07:08 PM by Pellgunfun »
Mrod-Air P-12, in .22 cal
BAM XS B-50, in .22 cal

Offline rcontrera

• Shooter
  • yes
    • CompressorStuff
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »
The adapter that goes from an SCBA tank to the filler looks like this.  But they ain't cheap since it is all stainless steel.

Ray
CompressorStuff
  • Seattle, WA
Ray Contreras - Owner
www.compressorstuff.com

Offline Zebra

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
What are the main components in the adapter pictured above. Is it a cga 347 to 1/4" npt male adapter followed by a bleed valve with female 1/4" npt at both ends, plus a 1/4" npt male to quick disconnect make adapter?

Is there any other market where stainless steel is considered an expensive material? I can't believe that's the reason why these adapters are so expensive. stainless steel is cheap.
  • NY Hartsdale

Offline vigilandy

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »
What are the main components in the adapter pictured above. Is it a cga 347 to 1/4" npt male adapter followed by a bleed valve with female 1/4" npt at both ends, plus a 1/4" npt male to quick disconnect make adapter?

Is there any other market where stainless steel is considered an expensive material? I can't believe that's the reason why these adapters are so expensive. stainless steel is cheap.

Stainless fittings with the proper pressure rating are not cheap.  Have you priced the parts from Swagelok or Parker?  Sure makes me rethink building my own fill adapter. 
  • Central Valley, CA

Offline uscbigdawg

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »
Total newb question here.

I'm going to be buying a new carbon fiber tank for a PCP rifle.  I have access to a local dive shop that will fill it for me for free.  Two questions:

1. What/how do I need to have the tank setup to fill from their compressor to my tank (rifle = FWB 800X)?

2. Is there any issue if the max pressure they can get my tank to is 4000 psi (i.e. <4500)?

Apologize for the newbness.  I'm just a trigger puller and a lot of the technical stuff on airguns I know will come over time.

Thanks,

Rich
  • Mesa, AZ

Offline ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive Administrator
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »
Your cylinder should cone with a valve assembly. Any certified fill station should have all of the adapters needed to fill your cylinder. You will need a fill whip setup similar to Tyler's video above to fill your airguns. If they can only fill to a max of 4,000psi, you will just not have the full capacity from your cylinders. Which would mean more or sooner trips back for refill. But the frequency of refill all depends on how much shooting you do, of course.
:)
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?