Pyramyd Air
Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets

Author Topic: So, who's done the Marauder HDD and/or de-ping mods?  (Read 23555 times))

Offline atoms

• Shooter
So, who's done the Marauder HDD and/or de-ping mods?
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »
What's your experience with the HDD mod? How many more shots are you getting. How much quieter is the gun?

De-Ping modders - What is your experience with noise reduction? Has the lowered air volume (due to the de-ping insert thingy) made any noticable difference?

How would you rate these mods in difficulty from 1-10?

Thanks!!!

Offline atoms

• Shooter
Re: So, who's done the Marauder HDD and/or de-ping mods?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »
BTW -  I have the Marauder in .22 and am considering doing both these mods.

The gun is shooting so well though, I am hesitant to mess with it at all. Are these mods worth the trouble?

Thanks again. :)

Offline Jawbreaker 38

• Plinker
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
I've done the stacked o-ring mod on my Marauder Pistol, I also enlarged the transfer port diameter and have been pleased with the difference. I'm still using the stock hammer spring and I'm getting a considerable increase in the shot count, currently getting around 25 shots. It's rather easy since it's only a partial disassembly. The pistol has such a small reservoir that I think it's an absolute necessity.

DeutschKSK

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
Whats the stacked o-ring mod for the prod?

Offline amb5500c

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
If it's shooting good, DONT mess with it. I have found that it dont take much of anything at all to drastically change how it shoots. I am still trying to get mine back to shooting the way it was. I'm close, but not quite there. All I did was readjust the barrel band and tighten the shroud a little. Big mistake, as far as how it groups compared to before I fooled with it.
Richard
  • Louisiana
A.A. Pro Sport, 22
FX-T12, 22
Sam Yang Recluse 357
CZ 200S, 177
2 RWS mod. 48s, 177, & 22
2 Benjamin Marauders 22, & 25
Benjamin Trail NPXL1100
Benjamin Pump mod. 397, 397, 397P, 310, 310, 312, 342, 392.
Crosman Pump Mod. 140, 22
B3,177
2 Daisy Powerline 880s,177
Daisy 1894 BB
Daisy Red Ryder BB
Crosman 1377
Sheridan Blue Streak
Sheridan Silver Streak
Chinese Bull Pup 177

Offline MustangMike

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »
id love to deping my disco, if it wasnt for that darn ping ited be so close to silent id dare my neighbores to try and hear it.. but i wont dive that deep into the gun untill a oring goes out on the valve or something that requires me breaking into the airtank
  • atx
.25 hatsan at44s-10 (down the road)
.22 disco,  bnm breech & shroud, katana stock, 7" tube extension, leapers 3-12x40AO
.22 ccs 2400kt, extensively modified using the sikes touch.

www.airgunlab.com
www.discosrus.net
Cera Kote services: ddgrego---Designsbydink

Offline amb5500c

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
It's just a little ping. What's it hurting?
Richard
  • Louisiana
A.A. Pro Sport, 22
FX-T12, 22
Sam Yang Recluse 357
CZ 200S, 177
2 RWS mod. 48s, 177, & 22
2 Benjamin Marauders 22, & 25
Benjamin Trail NPXL1100
Benjamin Pump mod. 397, 397, 397P, 310, 310, 312, 342, 392.
Crosman Pump Mod. 140, 22
B3,177
2 Daisy Powerline 880s,177
Daisy 1894 BB
Daisy Red Ryder BB
Crosman 1377
Sheridan Blue Streak
Sheridan Silver Streak
Chinese Bull Pup 177

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The 3rd GTA Musketeer (per Gene Curtis)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
I agree, if it's shooting good just leave it alone.  Just my opinion.

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York
If it was easy it wouldn't be hunting it would be shopping.

Offline captwoody

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:11 PM »
I did the vinyl tube depinger on my 22 marauder made a noticable differance along with the gaska 2 baffle exstension. just ordered the 1 1/4"X6" ldc from neil clague for my 25 marauder carbine. and will wait and see the 25 is an air hog compared to its smaller brothers

I will update pics once ldc gets here and let you know how quiet she has become with additional work. in my opinion the depinger is a must on the 177 and 22 but will have to wait and see on the 25
  • murrieta,ca
2240BNM hi pac custom,2560BNMpcp custom ,winchester 1000 177 springer,800 winchester 177 springer,discoBNM 177,Marauder 22,p-rod,1740BNM custom hipac,25marauder carbine
crows-18, Ground squirrels-100+ lost track, Rabbits-35 (dont eat my grass)

Offline MustangMike

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »
nice so how exactly did you do the tubing for the depinging ? thats the way i was thinking about going whenever i have to crack the seal on the airtube for the first time
  • atx
.22 disco,  bnm breech & shroud, katana stock, 7" tube extension, leapers 3-12x40AO

www.airgunlab.com
www.discosrus.net

0351_Vet

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 10:07:50 PM »

Capt Woody....Let me help you. Neil Does Great work. And it "keep's the lead out".... :D  :D  :D

Offline MustangMike

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »
is there a link for the neil clague stuff like his website or something ?
  • atx

www.airgunlab.com
www.discosrus.net

Offline Jay

• AIN'T THIS A GREAT PLACE TO BE!!!
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Non Timebo Mala"
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Dang Walt does that gun even make a noise now? That is one impressive LDC on there. As for the depinging of a HPA I think it help's improve the reduction of sound alot(that "ping" does carry far being a sharp sound /note) an the restriction on the volume of air is not even noticed on the gun's,as for the difficulty I'd rate it at about a 3, an it give's you a reason to inspect the tube for rust, have not tried the HDD "yet" but from what I have read it sound's like a good mod if it really does increase shot count, even if just a couple more between fill's, But if your gun is not making a "blaaat" sound when fired the hammer is not rebounding.
N.R.A. ENDOWMENT,N.R.A./I.L.A.,G.O.A. LIFE, N.R.A. Instructor For C.C.W.,ALL FIREARM'S & RELOADING /No Free Man Shall Ever Be Debarred The Use Of Arm's (Thomas Jefferson).   Sheridan's "52" Silver, "79" Silver, "80" Blue, BAM-51 .22, Benji Mrod #31 .22, Benji Trail NP XL .177/.22, Gamo Whisper .177, Beeman RS2 .177/.22, Crosman 1377 .177, B-3-1 AK .177. FIREARM's Far more than I need NOT as many as I want.(More AG's to come I'm sure).

Offline captwoody

• Marksman
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »
To do the vinyl hose mod buy 1 1/4 hose cut a 2.5" section off. split the hose on one side so you can roll it tight like a cinnamon roll. remove shroud. bleed air out of gun.remove shroud brace and put it back on 180 degrees tighten allens and break loose foster connector then use wrench to remove so air tube is open. roll tubing as tight as you can(heating with blow dryer makes this easiar)apply silocon based lube.****** no petroleum oil based products***** insert roll 12" into tube. reinstall foster tube end,shroud,shroud brace. fill, check for leaks with soapy water. if tubing is too thick you may have to trim until it fits in tube it should be very tight.
  • murrieta,ca
2240BNM hi pac custom,2560BNMpcp custom ,winchester 1000 177 springer,800 winchester 177 springer,discoBNM 177,Marauder 22,p-rod,1740BNM custom hipac,25marauder carbine
crows-18, Ground squirrels-100+ lost track, Rabbits-35 (dont eat my grass)

Offline atoms

• Shooter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
So, how about that HDD mod? Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks for all the responses so far. I am leaning heavily towards "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or as I like to say "If it ain't broke, don't break it."

Offline huklbery

• Expert
  • Mark
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
So, how about that HDD mod? Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks for all the responses so far. I am leaning heavily towards "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or as I like to say "If it ain't broke, don't break it."

I did it with the AoA PRod, it's an easy install

https://picasaweb.google.com/105582855711747336970/MarauderPistolDebouncerInstall1032011?authkey=Gv1sRgCInk5pvSw96lqAE#5659459365432532610

It's difficult for me to say if it had much positive effect as I was adjusting several things at once so its not under a "controlled" scrutiny.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
San Diego CA
PCP - CO2 - Springer's all good

Offline makai

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »
Interesting numbers on shot count increase (from 22 good shots on the curve, up to 27 good shots) after installation of the HDD on the original Marauder. Word is that there is a new version of the HDD that will be available shortly for the synrod.

Installation instructions for original Marauder, along with a graph, available here: http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/2011/09/installing-the-marauder-hammer-debounce-device-hdd-%E2%80%93-part-i.html

I'm curious to see the difference - if any - that an HDD would bring to the synrod. I'll run some shots across the chrono to validate my rifle's stock performance, and will probably spring for the HDD when it's available so I can check out any changes to performance.

Anyone here with any experience using an HDD in the original Marauder?
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity - but don't rule out malice

Offline RayK

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »
That's a ripe old thread you drug up there from over a few years ago ;)

A depinger is always a good idea in my opinion.  The vinyl tubing works, but for not a lot of money, you can get one of the cup style depingers that work better.  Tim Hill and Mike at Citrus both make them.

HDD is not what I would do.  You can tune your Marauder to eliminate almost all the hammer bounce.  Generally, higher hammer spring preload and shorter hammer throw will tend to reduce the hammer bounce.  You can hear hammer bounce as a series of burps immediately following the shot.  Raise HS until it goes away.  This will also tend to bring velocity up (and may push your nice bell shot string to a higher fill pressure).  You can shorten HT to bring your velocity back down to your desired velocity.

I like to install new o-rings whenever I open up a Marauder - unless it the ones you are exposing are pretty new.  O-rings tend to get hard and take a set if they have been installed for a while which makes them less likely to seal well if you re-use them.  Fresh ones always give a good seal (unless you nick them during assembly).  Also, burnish o-rings with Trident Silicone Lube or similar product.

Ray
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:16:02 AM by RayK »
  • California, USA
Airgun values: high-accuracy, very-quiet, light-weight, good balance, lots of consistent shots per fill (usually from regulator), magazine repeater, side lever, two-stage adjustable trigger
Optics values: must hold zero, clear image, bright image, fine reticle with mildots, light-weight, side focus
Airgun motivation: pest elimination, target shooting, super tuning, accurate long-distance shots

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 01:03:22 AM »
It never really bothers me when I see an older thread dug up by a new member on the forum.
 To me, that shows someone who is trying to learn about their AG's and have been using the search function. That's a good thing.

But at the same time, when a new guy asks a question that has been hashed over 100 times before, The fine membership here on the GTA, is always willing to help them out, answer their questions, and offer up advise, experience, and links to those past threads.
 That's what makes the GTA a Good Thing !

with that said,...

To makai,

RayK has given you some great advise on both the suggestions of tuning rather than using an HDD device, as well as the depinger advise. RayK is a pretty smart cookie, and knows his stuff well. He talks from personal experience, and does a LOT of his own tuning and mods.

Also, most professional tuners who have tried and objectively tested the HDD devices, will tell you the same thing... "a properly tuned gun does not benefit significantly from an HDD".

As far as the depingers go,... there are "camps" on both sides of the argument, and both have valid points.

Myself,... I like the depingers.
The minimal reduction of the reservoir does not bother me. I still get about 32 "good" shots, in the "sweet spot" of my gen 1, .22 Mrod, between 2800 and 1750 psi. (My rifle has been tuned by Tim at Mac-1).

Here is a past discussion we had on the GTA about depingers. Many of the guys in this discussion are VERY knowledgeable and have LOTS of experience. Sure,... it's 4 pages long, but it's a Very good read.
You might find it interesting...

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=53313.0

Hope this helps answer some of your questions,
 and Welcome to the GTA!

• State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.