PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles

Author Topic: Cheap chronograph not too bad  (Read 329 times))

Offline cherokeesteve

• The Cheap Airgunner/YouTube
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
    • Cheap Airgunner YouTube
Cheap chronograph not too bad
« on: June 18, 2021, 08:07:14 PM »
Review for chronograph here:

Giveaway of same chronograph here:
  • Channahon, Illinios
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCAsuVsOFrQnbi5r4u4aIWIA
Crosman M4-177, modded
Crosman 1377
Crosman 2240 w/mods
Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk .22
Crosman T4/modified
Crosman 2289/modified
Hatsan AT44PA .25/modified
Hatsan AT44-10 TACT .25/modified
Hatsan 25 Supercharger pistol .177(2)
Hatsan Carnivore .357
Evanix Rainstorm II . https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCAsuVsOFrQnbi5r4u4aIWIA

Offline JimD

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: Cheap chronograph not too bad
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 03:25:39 PM »
I have one but today it appears to have essentially stopped working.  I still get readings but they make no sense.  In a string of about 10 shots I got from 178 to 425 mps.  This is from my Avenger which I have previously measured at around 880 fps.  Fill pressure was well above regulator setting for all these shots.  I got a couple obviously incorrect readings before and recharging the unit fixed it.  So I tried that today but it appears to have not worked.  I charged it for a couple hours.  I guess I'll try overnight and if it still gives me inconsistent and incorrect readings I will have to do something else (probably buy a "normal" chronograph). 

Compared to the FX this unit is an amazing buy and if I only get a years use out of it I would still consider it worth buying.  But my old conventional chrony worked well for over 10 years (when the light was right) and would probably still be working if I had not shot it. 
  • USA, South Carolina, Lexington
Benjamin Marauder Pistol (Prod) tuned to 16-20 fpe
Sheridan Blue Streak, stock, about 14 fpe
Crosman 1377 shot as carbine and not modified about 5fpe
Air Venturi Avenger 25, current tune is 45-50 ft lbs
Artemis (aka Snow Peak) P35 25, 30-35 fpe

Offline A moron

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 03:47:21 PM »
I have one but today it appears to have essentially stopped working.  I still get readings but they make no sense.  In a string of about 10 shots I got from 178 to 425 mps.  This is from my Avenger which I have previously measured at around 880 fps.  Fill pressure was well above regulator setting for all these shots.  I got a couple obviously incorrect readings before and recharging the unit fixed it.  So I tried that today but it appears to have not worked.  I charged it for a couple hours.  I guess I'll try overnight and if it still gives me inconsistent and incorrect readings I will have to do something else (probably buy a "normal" chronograph). 

Compared to the FX this unit is an amazing buy and if I only get a years use out of it I would still consider it worth buying.  But my old conventional chrony worked well for over 10 years (when the light was right) and would probably still be working if I had not shot it.

Thing is you could of bought a higher end one and get that as well.  This way you only out $30 not $100+ when it goes bad..

I've had to make sun shields out of cardboard  for the sides the sun just right can throw it off or error.    One day I had it on the barrel and when I cocked the rifle (springer) I seen the display flicker.    So the movement through the sunlight was activating it.  So I cut cardboard for the sides and taped them on , seemed to do the trick.

Lol.. I put this shield on to see the display in the sun
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:53:11 PM by A moron »
  • Florida (aka lower Alabama) usa

Offline JimD

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 01:31:37 PM »
I charged it overnight and it is reading fine again today.  I've had the sunlight issue and will remember the cardboard shield.  But these days I normally just I shoot a few pellets into an old car ramp (4 layers of 2x8) in the garage and the chrony is easily visible. 

I may still buy a more conventional chronograph so I can measure velocity while shooting groups.  Hanging this little chrony off my two PCPs changes the POI.  My shooting bench sits on an elevated side porch (so I can get more than the 25 yards distance from my back porch to the back fence where I hang the pellet trap) and I could easily put a little shelf on the handrail of the porch for a conventional chrony.  But with this one working it isn't high on my list any more.
  • USA, South Carolina, Lexington
Benjamin Marauder Pistol (Prod) tuned to 16-20 fpe
Sheridan Blue Streak, stock, about 14 fpe
Crosman 1377 shot as carbine and not modified about 5fpe
Air Venturi Avenger 25, current tune is 45-50 ft lbs
Artemis (aka Snow Peak) P35 25, 30-35 fpe

Offline A moron

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »
I charged it overnight and it is reading fine again today.  I've had the sunlight issue and will remember the cardboard shield.  But these days I normally just I shoot a few pellets into an old car ramp (4 layers of 2x8) in the garage and the chrony is easily visible. 

I may still buy a more conventional chronograph so I can measure velocity while shooting groups.  Hanging this little chrony off my two PCPs changes the POI.  My shooting bench sits on an elevated side porch (so I can get more than the 25 yards distance from my back porch to the back fence where I hang the pellet trap) and I could easily put a little shelf on the handrail of the porch for a conventional chrony.  But with this one working it isn't high on my list any more.

Seemed like a guy got one from the place/ guy on Amazon and he said he had a time using .177 with it .

So far mine doing well with .177. 

But useing it in full sun or partial shade I guess flickers the sensors  when I moved it cocking a springer.   Just setting on the bench and shooting through it I don't see that deal at all. Just when I'm swinging it around on the end of the barrel. (?)
  • Florida (aka lower Alabama) usa