Pyramyd Air
Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets

Author Topic: .25 vs house sparrows (viewer's discretion advised)  (Read 939 times))

Offline DMR214

• Plinker
  • yes
.25 vs house sparrows (viewer's discretion advised)
« on: April 05, 2021, 03:58:09 PM »
Took 3 shots at what I believe where house sparrows (female). The males were moving around to much and wouldn't sit still long enough to get the right shot.
Heavy winds made me choose the .25.
1st bird was 20 yards and decided to go two different directions.
2nd bird was about 25 yards and split his muffin cap'back blue
3rd was 45ish and did a side flip into the ground.

New to bird watching but I seen these aggressive little  birds swarm on the birds I really like. Like this one I seen today and I don't even know what it is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:59:03 PM by dk1677 »
  • USA, TX, Dallas

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: .25 vs house sparrows (viewer's discretion advised)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 09:28:09 PM »
Rick, excellent shots on those HOSP's! Vaporized is a word I would use! LOL! Have no idea what species that last one is but you are protecting it and others very very well!
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 10 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:58:24 PM »
 That last bird looks like a Gold Finch to me ? Avoid them,  amazing what .25 does to small fluffy things  8) ;D
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3hMPAjvTtuu7DoNzBZzuKQ?view_as=subscriber
 Below is a collection of helpful airgun videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLASJo4rBxMImx-kNnbppkIBV86G5Yentf

Offline BigBird

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 10:38:25 PM »
I think the 3rd and maybe the 4th one you got looks to be a white crown sparrow though.  These guys will usually run along the ground a lot as opposed to flying into seed on the ground like a house sparrow. Friendly fire.  Try to avoid those  ;D  All others are unrecognizable as they should be.

Download the Merlin App for your phone and it will help identifying the good and the BAD BAD birdies.

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is your bird.

Here is what the Merlin app looks like:

KINDA BIG I KNOW
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 10:53:41 PM by BigBird »
  • USA, VA, Winchester
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
John 3:17 ESV

Offline DMR214

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 11:52:43 PM »
That last bird looks like a Gold Finch to me ? Avoid them,  amazing what .25 does to small fluffy things  8) ;D
And here I have been with .177 all my life lol. It sure is a nice birdie, really brightens up the place,especially with new garden in the works.
  • USA, TX, Dallas

Offline DMR214

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 12:02:10 AM »
I think the 3rd and maybe the 4th one you got looks to be a white crown sparrow though.  These guys will usually run along the ground a lot as opposed to flying into seed on the ground like a house sparrow. Friendly fire.  Try to avoid those  ;D  All others are unrecognizable as they should be.

Download the Merlin App for your phone and it will help identifying the good and the BAD BAD birdies.

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is your bird.

Here is what the Merlin app looks like:

KINDA BIG I KNOW
Well I sure hope not, because they were on the ground  so I'll be sure to double check the markings now. I'll download the app & thanks never heard of a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. I would like a family of those in the backyard for sure.
  • USA, TX, Dallas

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:04:21 AM »

Scissor-tail flycatcher......beautiful birds! I usually have a breeding pair here every summer.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 12:30:09 AM »
That second photo doesn't look to me like house sparrows. The male HS has a black "bib" on his chest. The female will typically be WITH the male. I don't normally shoot at any female unless she is accompanied by a male, since they look similar to a few other species.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline Rakin

• Plinker
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 01:02:42 AM »
none look like house sparrows to me
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:15:24 AM by Rakin »
  • US, OK

Offline HunterWhite

• Hunter Whitebeard
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Foto 3:45 AM under waxing crescent moon 🌙
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 07:10:38 AM »

Scissor-tail flycatcher......beautiful birds! I usually have a breeding pair here every summer.

+1 on beautiful birds!

It's the state bird of Oklahoma.
I can remember seeing these from when I was 6 years old. It's in the king bird family.
These are insectavoures. They eat bugs.
Have a look.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wildlife/nongamespecies/birds/scissor-tailed-flycatcher

Hunter
  • Arlington Texas
Condor 25, SynRod 25, 2240, Umarex Colt, 177 FaTRod😎

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 09:19:08 AM »

+1 on beautiful birds!

It's the state bird of Oklahoma.
I can remember seeing these from when I was 6 years old. It's in the king bird family.
These are insectavoures. They eat bugs.
Have a look.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wildlife/nongamespecies/birds/scissor-tailed-flycatcher

Hunter

If I am not mistaken, they only come to Texas and Oklahoma for the summer breeding season.
  • USA, TX, DFW

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 09:20:33 AM »
none look like house sparrows to me

That first one was so messed up from the shot, I couldn't tell at all.
  • USA, TX, DFW

Offline DMR214

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »
Alright thanks guys so breeding males are the only targets today. No females today just the dangerous ones.
  • USA, TX, Dallas

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »
Alright thanks guys so breeding males are the only targets today. No females today just the dangerous ones.

They are both destructive. The only reason I only shoot females that are accompanied by a male is because the females look like some of the other sparrow species, and are also similar to female house finches, which I have here, and I don't want to shoot the wrong bird.
  • USA, TX, DFW

Offline nervoustrigger

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The Grin Reaper
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 11:35:46 AM »
Regarding the females, I use plenty of magnification to make out the distinctive white mark behind the eye.

And any time there is a choice between a male or a female house sparrow, the female is my target since the goal is to reduce the population as much as possible.
  • MS
Conduct yourself so that when a man accuses you of something dishonorable, no one will believe him.
Barrel accurizing guide
My youtube channel
QB79 HPA conversion
2240 HPA conversion
Intro to PCP airguns

Offline DMR214

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
Wow it's so windy today. I can't call my windage right not even on the .25. But I don't see any birds I like today so I wouldn't call it mission failed.
  • USA, TX, Dallas

Offline Cableaddict

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 12:50:08 AM »
I think the 3rd and maybe the 4th one you got looks to be a white crown sparrow though.

Picture #3 is definitely not a sparrow at all.   (OK, to be fair, house sparrows aren't actually sparrows, but at least they lLOOK like sparrows.)

And pic number 2 is most definitely two dead SONG sparrows.
-------------------------

Identifying HOS's is pretty tough, especially the females,  but please try, guys.

• USA, NY, Suffern

Offline Cableaddict

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 12:53:23 AM »
That second photo doesn't look to me like house sparrows. The male HS has a black "bib" on his chest. The female will typically be WITH the male. I don't normally shoot at any female unless she is accompanied by a male, since they look similar to a few other species.

Agreed,  the females are REALLY tough.

With the males, the one absolute identifier is the grey cap.  (A wide stripe of grey in-between brown on either side.)

Another way to tell both is by the pitch of their call.  They sound just like tree sparrows, except the pitch is maybe 3-4 steps lower.
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline splitbeing

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 08:11:37 AM »

New to bird watching but I seen these aggressive little  birds swarm on the birds I really like. Like this one I seen today and I don't even know what it is.

That's a scissor tailed flycatcher. Love that bird. How lucky you are! I see them often at the aviary but not from my own back porch!

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/scissor-tailed-flycatcher
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
D48 .177
D460 .22 open sights
R7 open sights
Sortie (demented) .177
P17

Offline splitbeing

• Plinker
  • yes
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
D48 .177