Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: TINY bullet BIG PIG!!  (Read 1446 times))

Offline Rallyshark

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
TINY bullet BIG PIG!!
« on: December 27, 2020, 06:56:20 AM »
Guys, I've been hoping to make this post for a long time!  This will be long post too :-[  Those who know me, know I've been tuning and tweaking to no end on my .177 slug gun.  I've been working hard and testing to find the right heavy slug that had top notch accuracy at higher than average power levels for .177.  I wanted to use a heavier slug than what I used, but the accuracy wasn't good enough for me.  When going after a larger pig, accuracy can't be just okay.  I can't stress that enough, especially when trying to do what I've been trying to do.  I ended up with the 18 grain NSA slug shooting at 1060-ish fps, because that is what worked at power level I wanted to use.  In this case, I ended up right at 45 fpe.  The gun could do more, but the accuracy just wasn't good enough for me with heavier slugs.  With this tune, the gun is same hole accurate, so that's the tune I used.

I've always known a .177 could do a lot more than many people think, and I FINALLY got the chance I needed to prove it ;) 

I've gone hunting for a pig with this gun a couple of times before, but the pigs didn't participate.  I got a chance to try it again Saturday afternoon, with cool weather upping the odds of success.  I got to my spot around 3:30pm, with the temp around 40 degrees.  I set up inside the tree line 30 yards from the feeder, concealed behind a lot of brush and trees, but with a clear line of sight to the feeder.  This automatic feeder is used for deer, and is set to go off 4:30pm daily.  Those of you that don't know, an automatic feeder going off in the silence of the deep woods will surprise the @#$@ out of you, even though you know it is going to go off!  After the feeder went off, and my heart slowly crawled back into my chest, I waited.  Finally, around 5:15pm, with the temp getting closer to 30 degrees, the action began.

I heard some movement coming through the woods.  Slowly, I heard the sound making it's way towards me.  Then, I heard a couple of grunts.  Now, the heart is beginning to pump with some authority!  The wind wasn't the best, so I knew the pigs may be skittish.  I kept watching, hoping.  Some dark colors flashed between the trees about 20 yards from the feed area.  Just a few seconds later, six small 15-20lb pigs came out of the woods from behind the feeder.  I knew they weren't the size of the dark movement that had caught my a moment before.  Then, out pops the big boy.  Just as I had feared, they were all very skittish.  They came into the opening, then the boar did a 180 back into the woods, but didn't go far.  I waited, and they came out again, only to dart back into the woods a second time, before I could even get the scope on one.  For a third time, they all popped out into the opening in front of the feeder.  This time, they decided it was time to eat some corn, finally. 

I brought the the boar into the scope to get a proper look, and he was the pig I was looking for!  I'm not going to lie, I had already decided I was going to take a shot on the larger one, if it presented itself.  The smaller pigs were just too small to really put the setup to the test anyway.  I sat there with the gun rested across my leg with the boar in sight, waiting for a shot.  He was being very still, for a feeding pig.  However, one of the piglets was in front of his head.  I just knew, he was going to move out, before the small pig got out of the way.  I waited some more, hoping my chance wasn't going to disappear back into the woods.  At this point, I was in the zone.  My concentration was on point, and there reticle was no longer hopping with each heartbeat.  I just needed my shot.  The piglet moved, and there was that perfect shot I'd been visualizing in my head for months now.  The boar was broadside to me, with his head down digging into some corn.  I had the reticle centered perfectly on the temple, right between the eye and ear.  It was like the trigger just squeezed itself.  An unregulated ping, immediately followed by the WHAP of the little slug hitting home!  A big mass of boar hog collapsed in his tracks, and fell over onto his side in slow motion!!  I KNEW the shot was on the mark.  That motion is unmistakable.  As the boar lay there on his side with a few lazy kicks, I put another in the X between the eyes and ears on top of his head, for good measure.  I know it wasn't necessary, but I wasn't going to chance this one.  There was no way I was going to leave anything to chance, after so much time and preparation had been put into this goal!  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED  ;D ;D ;D

I was thinking he was a good 150lb hog when I took the shot.  It was when I walked over to move him, that I realized he was bigger than that.  I had just dropped a 200+lb boar in his tracks, with my .177 slug gun :o  After a few minutes, help arrived, and we drug him up into the back of the truck.  My powder burner friend was in disbelief of what I had just done with an air gun, a .177 air gun at that.  I wasn't in disbelief, so much as I was simply overjoyed with a sense of accomplishment.  I had finally gotten my chance to prove all that tuning, tinkering, barrel swapping, and countless rounds on target.  This smile isn't going to go away for a few days :D 

I didn't get to put him on a scale, because it was broken at the processor.  The processor estimated him to be around 225 lbs, but I'll just claim 200+lbs myself, haha.  I can tell you he was pretty darn hard to get off the ground, and it took both of us to get him up on the tailgate.  I hope you guys enjoyed the story, God knows I enjoyed making it!  I also hope everyone understands the absolute accuracy and preparation that is required to this with a small bore.  This isn't a 20lb piglet with a break barrel, and it isn't something that should be done on a whim, or with a gun that isn't capable.  I put a lot of effort into knowing the limits of my gun, and myself.  I'm not in this to wound animals, of course.  That being said, is sure is a heck of a rush pulling off a proper hog kill with a small bore! 

• Dacula, GA
FX Maverick .30,.22,.177, 30-135 F.P.E.
Flash Rifle .177, 16 F.P.E Regulated(56+ shots)
PP700S-A .177 15 F.P.E. Regulated
(25+ F.P.E. unregulated)
Gamo Accu 177 pew pew pew F.P.E.

I may have Alzheimers, but at least
I don't have Alzheimers...

Offline Rocker1

• Executive Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive administrator
Re: TINY bullet BIG PIG!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 07:03:46 AM »
 Wow!!!!   buddy good on you!!! great patience and good shooting. David
  • Fruitland Park, Florida
1ST CAV,1971 VIETNAM 11 BUSHBABY LRRP
I MISS MY FRIEND GENE
OLD GUYS PLAYING WITH BB GUNS NEVER GROW UP
lots parts and pieces for something
disco 22 with the works
FX CROWN 22 AND 30 , 25 caliber
Rws 34 22
bsa Lonestar 25
Benji 392
22 liberty
Old Gamo extreme 22
Dar 25
Liberty 22
hotrod prod
Rocker1 tuning and custom works
davidjfurr@outlook.com

Offline Rallyshark

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 07:15:52 AM »
Wow!!!!   buddy good on you!!! great patience and good shooting. David

Thank you Mr. David!! 
  • Dacula, GA
FX Maverick .30,.22,.177, 30-135 F.P.E.
Flash Rifle .177, 16 F.P.E Regulated(56+ shots)
PP700S-A .177 15 F.P.E. Regulated
(25+ F.P.E. unregulated)
Gamo Accu 177 pew pew pew F.P.E.

I may have Alzheimers, but at least
I don't have Alzheimers...

Offline Chris USA

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 07:29:21 AM »
Very well done! ;D You did it right the whole way. Enjoyed the story of the hunt as well. Enjoy the meat and your status. There can not be too many people that have taken a hog that  :o  big with a .177 and dropped it on the spot.
  • Central Ohio
198/200, Daystate Red Wolf HP/FAC in .25, 8-34x56 Athlon Argos { for sale, in person only }
Maximus "hunter" in .22, 4-12x44 UTG
Barra 1866
Avanti 499
75th anniversary Red Ryder

Offline sb327

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 07:53:12 AM »
What a great and satisfying accomplishment. From beginning to end!

Thanks for sharing a great story!

Dave
  • USA, OK, Stigler
Dave

Offline Duckster

• I'm just a
  • Plinker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 08:05:20 AM »
Great shot, Rallyshark. Your patience and expertise truly paid off. The details of your hunt kept me on the edge of my seat.

Congratulations on your journey to bring this to fruition !
My favorite air gun ?

Gamo P-430                               Crossman SNR 357
Beeman P-17                             Crossman CR 357
Umarex Glock 19                       Daisy 426
Umarex UX 357                          Morini 162Ei

Daisy Red Ryder                          Hatsan Edge
Daisy 853                                     Xisico Sentry 705 - 9K
Winchester 1100                         Springfield M1A

Offline Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member Keeping America Great!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 08:12:44 AM »
Donny, excellent shooting & great story. Congratulations!
  • Ormond by the Sea, Florida, USA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Find other GTA members in your area. 🇺🇸
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 08:29:01 AM »
Nice one Donny!
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline chico

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »
what a great climax to a fantastic adventure ! congrats !!
  • Port Clinton, Ohio

Offline JohnnyPDX

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 08:38:06 AM »
Congratulations. Your story and writing kept me interested and wanting more. I do not know what the sound of a deer feeder is but I am very curious now.

Wow, 1060 fps and accuracy with 18 grain is amazing. Looks like the trees behind the hog are where you were stationed. Like to see where you were hiding as you must have been very concealed. Dumb question time... Camo clothing or did you show up in a jacket, jeans and boots and just hide well?

Anyways, that's awesome. I took a nutria with .177 but never dreamed a 200+ lb hog could be downed with it!!!!!!! You know it can be done and will do it again.

Your success is inspiring and makes me want to do better.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:40:21 AM by JohnnyPDX »

Offline uswood

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »
Congratulations! You are the reason I chose a Hatsan flash for my first pcp.Thank you for your willingness to help others!
  • Easley,S.C.

Offline JuryRigger

• NUAH Club Member
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Chasing down 2 MOA @ 100 yds with a springer
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »
Awesome! Fantastic story; and a successful culmination of your efforts.
That's a lot of pork; for sure.  :D
Congrats,
Jesse
  • Buckeye State
"Numbers don't lie until they're cherry-picked statistics"-Forest Addy
The First Amendment guarantees all others
In a time of Changing Hearts and Great Unknown...
"What you see,
is not real
Those who know will not tell
All is lost,
sold your souls;
To this brave new world"
My .22 Diana 350 N-Tec Magnum-
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline chico

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 10:06:05 AM »
I missed something . . . i got the .177 part . . . i didn't get the manufacturer ??
  • Port Clinton, Ohio

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 10:19:29 AM »
I missed something . . . i got the .177 part . . . i didn't get the manufacturer ??

...I ended up with the 18 grain NSA slug shooting at 1060-ish fps...

Yes!!  That sure is an achievement!!  Great shooting!  Enjoy all that pork!!
  • Silver Spring Md

Online Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 10:50:20 AM »
All I can say Donny is Totally Awesome shooting and fantastic tuning, planning and finally getting to the Nirvana . . . very cool 8)
  • Michigan
HHDSUPCOM Cam Rahn Bay VN 71-72

My F10 Shoebox rocks 8)

Offline HunterWhite

• Hunter Whitebeard
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Bishop's Castle
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
Donny, You da man !
225 pounds ÷ 18 grains = 87,500 to 1 !

Now you have to post a link to the build thread on that nifty looking camo bulpup.

Hunter
  • Arlington Texas
Condor 25, 2240, Umarex Colt, 177 FaTRod😎

Offline mpbby

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
Congratulations!  Not just a challenging mission accomplished, but from the very beginning.  Great story and thanks for sharing all the steps.

Your second shot was wise.  I had a big boar (forehead shot with a shotgun) that seemed already dead on the spot, but was passed out.. After about “30” seconds it did an uncontrolled run for a few meters with a HUGE!!! energy.

Regarding wind.., I put some sour corn at the bait station when I arrive and I drop some of used motor oil in some places around.  I think that it does not disturb the meal, and, at least, their sense of smell should get a bit confused about me..
  • São Paulo/Brazil

Offline Nvreloader

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »
Donny

You done "GOOD",
outstanding results and info, now for the little ones and ma should be around some where.

I hope you saved the skull, have it cleaned and do the European style,
would be neat to show that 17 cal hole, in the proper place.
Length of cutters?

Would be interesting to see the expanded slug for weighing etc.

Great and outstanding shooting and story, done the proper way................. ;)

Thank you,
Don
  • Western  NV
Sheridan 64/67 yr models, 20 cal/Hammerli 850 Air Mag -17 cal x 2, + 22 cal /QB-79 - 22 cal /Guantlet - 22 cal / Crosman 150 - 22 cal, Second Variant Model /Crosman 160 - 1st Variant Model - 22 cal /MRod Varmint 22 cal /Sentry 705-2 - 22 cal /Sentry 705 - 9T - 25 cal / Dar 17 cal /22 cal Discovery
CF 4500 45 min SCBA tanks x 3, w/SB F-10 compressor

"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker,
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Whatsquirrel

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
Awesome build! What a reward for time spent tuning & building.
  • The other side of no where!
Mini-Rod .25
Syn-Rod .177 (Under Construction, soon to be a .25)
Condor SS .25
Talodor .25
Sumatra 2500 .25
Sumatra 2500 .22
Dragon Claw .50 (New Addition)
2 Gray Squirrel
3 Possum
1 Coon

Offline kbstingwing

• Rat Lobotomizer
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »
Holy Guacamole  ;D, that's a nice pig..... great shooting with the .177, great story too  ;)
  • USA, Kalifornia, Vista
Varmints Beware, you'll be "Lucky if I'm out of Air"
Beeman HW100 T FSB .20
Weihrauch HW 100 Bullpup .22
Weihrauch HW 100 TK .22
Weihrauch HW 100 SK .22
Weihrauch HW 100 SK FSB .22 (Sold)
Brocock Bantam MK1 .25 (For Sale)
AGT Uragan Standard .25
AirForce Texan .45
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin Marauder Gen 2 .22 w/ LW barrel by JG
Umarex Gauntlet 500/4500 .25 Tactical Chassis gun Modded by Me... :)
Umarex Gauntlet 500/4500 .22 Tactical Chassis gun Modded by Me... :)
Hatsan Flashpup wood .25 x 1 (sold 3)
Hatsan Flashpup synthetic .22 side lever x 1
Sheridan Blue streak .20 Steroided
Crosman 1377 Pistol .177 sold to a friend
Crosman 1077 co2 .177
Crosman Phantom co2 pistol BB
Nardi USA Atlantic GAS 4500 Air compressor
GX CS2 4500 psi PCP compressor
ATN X-Sight 4k 3-14x w/ABL1000 & remote
ATN X-Sight ll 3-14x w/ABL1000
Pard NV008
Bushido..............