Is there a way to unsubscribe from a thread? and..

Author Topic: Is there a way to unsubscribe from a thread? and..  (Read 367 times))

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: Is there a way to unsubscribe from a thread? and..
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 12:11:26 PM »
And please.....anyone....where is the unnotify button within threads?

Lizzie - It's at the very top (or bottom) of any page. For instance, if you wanted to reply to a thread, you'd go to the bottom of that page and click REPLY (unless you hit QUOTE, of course). Right next to that is the word NOTIFY. If you click NOTIFY you'll get email alerts for that thread, and it will then read UNNOTIFY. It toggles back and forth, depending on what you want.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:14:38 PM by Stinger177 »
  • Denver, Colorado, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
You can view my gun list Here

Offline lizzie

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »
And please.....anyone....where is the unnotify button within threads?

Lizzie - It's at the very bottom of any page. For instance, if you wanted to reply to a thread, you'd go to the bottom of that page and click REPLY (unless you hit QUOTE, of course). Right next to that is the word NOTIFY. If you click NOTIFY you'll get email alerts for that thread, and it will then read UNNOTIFY. It toggles back and forth, depending on what you want.

Then I must not be getting notifications for any individual threads at all. When I open a thread that I am subscribed to, there is no "un-notify" option, BUT I still have threads which come up when I click on "Show new replies to your posts".
That (I believe) is where the confusion lies in this thread, and all the others about the subject.
  • Texas
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »
Yes precisely, I was asking about the "Show new replies" list, not the notifications.

I understand that if you click the notify button it toggles to un-notify and is changeable.

The show new replies evidently is not.

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
Sorry if I confused anyone. I thought you wanted to turn off email notifications. For those still confused here's a screen shot showing the UNNOTIFY button in the green circle.

Offline lizzie

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
Well, ya see? On MY screen, it says "Notify".
  • Texas
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 12:30:15 PM »
Well, ya see? On MY screen, it says "Notify".

Yep. As I said, it toggles back and forth. If you do click NOTIFY you get a popup verifying that that is what you want. After that it will show UNNOTIFY until you click it again to turn it off.

Offline lizzie

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 12:32:57 PM »
(THANK YOU!)

But I suspect that still isn't the issue. I am not receiving notifications on any thread, however, when I click on "Show replies to your threads" at the top of the page, a list of threads comes up. It appears that it is two different subjects being discussed in this (and others) thread.
  • Texas

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »
That is also an option under "Attachments and other options". See the green oval in this screenshot.

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 12:39:36 PM »
Yes precisely, I was asking about the "Show new replies" list, not the notifications.

I understand that if you click the notify button it toggles to un-notify and is changeable.

Sorry for misunderstanding Tom. I've never used the "Show new replies to your posts".

Offline lizzie

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 12:40:50 PM »
That is also an option under "Attachments and other options". See the green oval in this screenshot.

Thanks!
Checked 0n my computer- that one is unchecked as well.
  • Texas

Offline lizzie

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »

Sorry for misunderstanding Tom. I've never used the "Show new replies to your posts".

That is the only way I check for threads I've participated in. I only check emails to see if there are new threads that I need to be aware of.
  • Texas

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »
I use the email notice because there are many threads that I like to follow but not necessarily post in, mainly because I sometimes say stupid things that I then regret  :-[

Online ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive Administrator
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 12:54:01 PM »
Liz, I checked your profile. You had turned off notifications. So that is why you get nothing in email, and possibly why no unnotify button either. LOL
I turned them back on in your profile. Let me know if that's a problem.
:)
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

Offline lizzie

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 12:58:05 PM »
Hahahaha

Okay Dez

(When I come to the Fun Shoot, I will bring my laptop to the shoot, and show you what the issue is that I am talking about)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:01:09 PM by lizzie »
  • Texas

Offline dv8eod

• Just another
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 02:07:37 PM »
This has been an ongoing issue since I joined.

"Notifications" are to receive emails for threads/gates that you would like follow but not post in. You have the ability to turn them on and off.

"Show New Replies" has absolutely NOTHING to do with notifications. You reply to or start a new thread and it appears in the new replies list. There is not/has not been a way to stop it.

This subject is brought up every 2 or 3 months and people who try to help, confuse the situation by not completely understanding or not reading the whole thread as to what the exact issue is. Granted, it might not always be articulated clearly. There are alot of off-the-cuff statements made with good intentions, but little substance.

As to correcting the issue, there will be no easy answer that will make everyone happy. It will probably result in "Show New Threads" being removed, which would upset me, or being told to just ignore the threads you don't want to read, which has happened. Any other options would probably call for more programming and more glitches to work their way into the system. Either way,

Apologies for the rant.
  • South Carolina
Gamo Whisper .177- OleTomCat Tuned   Daisy Model 102
Crosman/Umarex Nighthawk .177      Benjamin Model 262 .22 Rocket
Crosman 1600 Powermatic     Chinese Sea Lion B-1 .177
Benjamin WoodsWalker .22     Evanix Tactical Sniper .45- Will Piatt tuned
Crosman 2040 .20    Gamo Viper Express Shotgun
Crosman 1377 .177 Carbine      Brocock Compatto .177
MrodAir CP-1M .177                  Kalibrgun Cricket Carbine .25
Air Ordnance SMG .22     Ataman AP-16 .22

Offline lizzie

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 02:15:13 PM »
Yes Terry, I understand exactly what the question is, and has been every few months, and to my knowledge, no, there is no fix.
  • Texas

Online ezman604

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive Administrator
    • GTA Members Map
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
The comments I made are the ONLY possible answers I know of. If it doesn't "fix" the issue, then I have no clue if it can be fixed. Clicking on Mark all as read will take everything off all of the list. But hey, I don't even use the tab to check threads. I use the new threads since my last visit one only.
Revelation 760 PumpMaster (Vintage 1967)
Powerline 1000S .177 (semi-tuned by me & innards by kiwi Pete)
Benjamin Super Streak .177/.22 (converted to NP & w/GRT-III)
Weihrauch HW97K .177
Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 (home tuned by muwah with Tuna trigger)
Stoeger X-20 RAMmed by Gene and Tuna trigger
Winchester 1000SX .177 (semi-tuned by muwah)
Winchester 1000B RAMmed by Gene
Crosman 1377 "Goldfinger"
Disco .22 Multi-Shot Custom

Ain't this a great place to be

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: