help with a cleaning issue

Author Topic: help with a cleaning issue  (Read 216 times))

Offline wolverine

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
help with a cleaning issue
« on: February 14, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
i screwed up.  i use a camo wrap on my rifles when hunting.  upon returning home i remove the wrap and wipe the rifles down with Balistol.  however, when i returned home from a hunting trip just before Christmas, i was tired and left it for the following day.  the next day i forgot to take care of the rifles and several days later we left the country for 5 weeks.  now, 8 weeks after wrapping the rifles, i removed the "tape" and found a residue on them.  i've tried vigorously wiping them with an old sock soaked with Balistol and mineral spirits, but small amounts still remain.  anyone have a suggestion as what to use that wont mar the finish on the wood or the bluing?
  • Somonauk, IL
Crosman 2240
Crosman 2260 (lefthanded)-Mountain Air tuned/UTG 4x32AO
.22 Benjamin NP2/Centerpoint 3-9X40AO
.22 Brocock Contour S6/UTG BugBuster 3-9X32AO
.22 Brocock Concept S6/Hawke Vantage 4-12X50AO/Neil
      Clague moderator   
.177 RWS 34/Leapers 4X32AO M.M. Tuned
.177 Custom Shop 2400KT /BSA Red Dot  "Avian Assassin"
.177 HW30s Deluxe/Motorhead tuned

Offline nced

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: help with a cleaning issue
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:48:38 PM »
i screwed up.  i use a camo wrap on my rifles when hunting.  upon returning home i remove the wrap and wipe the rifles down with Balistol.  however, when i returned home from a hunting trip just before Christmas, i was tired and left it for the following day.  the next day i forgot to take care of the rifles and several days later we left the country for 5 weeks.  now, 8 weeks after wrapping the rifles, i removed the "tape" and found a residue on them.  i've tried vigorously wiping them with an old sock soaked with Balistol and mineral spirits, but small amounts still remain.  anyone have a suggestion as what to use that wont mar the finish on the wood or the bluing?
Have you tried RemOil or WD40. I do know that WD40 will remove residue after removing stickers.

Offline Roadworthy

• Honorary GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 02:59:56 PM »
If you remove the stock from the gun you will not mar the wood no matter what solvent you use.  With the stock gone you can even use acetone or naptha.  I don't think naptha will harm the wood finish but would not care to promise.  I believe liquid "Goof Off" is naptha or something closely related.
  • Near the Southern Coast of Washington State
He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan

Offline wolverine

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 03:58:05 PM »
the residue is also on the beech stock.  i thought about WD40, but with it being flammable, i'm worried about it seeping into places.

i've removed the Hugget and took out it's internals, and it's soaking in mineral spirits. 

i've been at it for over 2 1/2 hours and that's just one of the rifles.
  • Somonauk, IL
Crosman 2240
Crosman 2260 (lefthanded)-Mountain Air tuned/UTG 4x32AO
.22 Benjamin NP2/Centerpoint 3-9X40AO
.22 Brocock Contour S6/UTG BugBuster 3-9X32AO
.22 Brocock Concept S6/Hawke Vantage 4-12X50AO/Neil
      Clague moderator   
.177 RWS 34/Leapers 4X32AO M.M. Tuned
.177 Custom Shop 2400KT /BSA Red Dot  "Avian Assassin"
.177 HW30s Deluxe/Motorhead tuned

Online Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Murfreesboro, Tennessee  -- If "air rifles" are for kids, I NEVER WANT TO GROW UP! 
Keep a low profile.                     Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal or deal.
                        Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline Pierre Toutant

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:59:25 PM »
WD40.....guaranteed will remove it. Spray and soak a rag in it and rub, rub, rub.
  • Alabama

Offline Mole2017

• Squirrel Researcher
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »
I haven't tried WD40 on residue, but I've really liked De-Solv-It. I found some in our shop and liked it so much I bought some for home. "Contractor" strength. Its strong enough clean off hydaulic fluid from a door closer--stuff had run down a painted door and stayed there a long time. Nothing was taking it off until I used this. It likes to be on the gunk and worked a little, then things can be wiped/rubbed off.
  • Pendleton, SC
Gamo CFX .177 and .22, old style triggers
BSA R10 MK2 .177
Crosman 1377

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: