How many shots through your Gamo Gas Piston.

Author Topic: How many shots through your Gamo Gas Piston.  (Read 232 times))

Offline profsrgary

• Shooter
  • yes
How many shots through your Gamo Gas Piston.
« on: February 11, 2019, 11:09:59 PM »
Ok so this is my first post as I am new to the forum although I have been reading ports for months. Anyway I got my first real air rifle 1 year age next week and have to admit I am addicted. I got a Gamo Whisper Fusion Mach 1 and did a tin count a few days ago and realized that I have shot it over 15,000 times. When I first got it, it shot 14.3 gr. pellets at 812 fps. It now has dropped about 50 fps. I ordered a breech seal just to have on hand but I have a Marauder on the way so this will be getting shot less. I was just wondering if anyone else got that kind of a shot count out of a Gamo gas piston. Also I attached a pis of the rifle with my sling set up. It is a cheap allen sling with a loop to allow the cocking arm to clear. The cord used is the cord archery shops use for string loops.
  • USA, PA, Dover

Offline OleTomCat

• Tree Rats Beware.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
    • GTA Web Map
Re: How many shots through your Gamo Gas Piston.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:19:44 AM »
Gas piston should be good for a lot more shots than that, it is probably the main seal that is attached to the top of the piston has worn down.
  • Summerville, SC
Home Of Air Guns Inc.
Air Gun Tuning and Targets

Air Guns:
Sheridan Blue Streak, aka The Blue Demon Rebuilt Steroid Style By Mac1.
FWB-124 with ARH Old School Kit.
Gamo Silent Cat, tuned by Me, smooth as butter.
Gamo CFR
SamYang Dragon Claw .50
Hatsan BT65: Big Nasty
FD PCP: PNG
Benjamin Maximus: Needs Work
Crosman Custom Shop 2300: Just fun

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline profsrgary

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:58 AM »
Thanks Tom Cat. I did a test with a piece of paper towel draped over the rear sight and when I pulled the trigger the paper towel went flying. I ordered a breech seal to try.
  • USA, PA, Dover

Offline VaporTrail

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:56:33 PM »
15k shots in a year? Holy smokes...and here I was, thinking I was shooting a fair amount.  :o

I have about 3700-3800 shots through my Magnum, and like you, I suffered some FPS loss. I replaced the breach seal with one from Custom Air Seals, but I still fail the tissue test. A set of Gamo breach seals will be coming, so I'll check FPS when those come in and I install them.

I love Al (OleTomCat); every time I think something as gone horribly wrong, he comes by and says something that puts my mind at ease. My Magnum has been misbehaving lately (not consistent with FPS numbers), so I thought perhaps the gas piston was in need of replacement. I come on here and see that the gas pistons for the most part should be good for way beyond (barring any unusual circumstances) what my shot count currently is. I'm truly grateful.

So while I'm not sitting anywhere near your shot count, we do share similar situations. I'm a tad low on funds at the moment, but when I get the next economic stimulus, I'll probably look into freshening up the Magnum with a new breach seal and piston seal.
  • Guam, USA

Offline profsrgary

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »
As I said I am new to the sport so I have to ask. Is changing a piston seal something that is diy or does it have to be done at a service center? My rifle has a 5 year warranty but quite honestly with 15000 shots through it I consider that normal wear and tear and not really a manufacturing defect.
  • USA, PA, Dover

Offline VaporTrail

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 03:00:48 AM »
As I said I am new to the sport so I have to ask. Is changing a piston seal something that is diy or does it have to be done at a service center? My rifle has a 5 year warranty but quite honestly with 15000 shots through it I consider that normal wear and tear and not really a manufacturing defect.

It can be a DIY project, but if you have the 5 year warranty, I'd send it in. If you are going to DIY, make sure you have the right tools. And take plenty pictures.

I'm going to order that spring compressor...the one that attaches to the dovetail. That looks pretty neat and simple. Then I'm also going to order a new piston seal, since my piston should be gtg. Now if it still messes up, then I'll know my piston is one of those exceptions to the rule. I might just look into a piston that will give me slightly more punch.
  • Guam, USA

Offline Boomer

• I think itís wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly
  • Plinker
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 10:49:09 PM »
I have a bone collector when they were first released, after about 500 shots, I took it apart to replace the main seal that blew apart and the gas ram was being ground down by the cocking arm. it was gouging it pretty good, it is so far holding, only up to about 1500 shots now, but it is one of my favorite guns and dont want it to blow the ram. I hope it lasts as long as yours has..
  • Flushing MI
Itís sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs

Offline Novagun

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 01:16:24 AM »
Lots and lots of shots. I have two of them and with attention to their mechanisms they are very good guns. Sometimes they get a bit boring. That happens when you know where the pellet is going when you pull the trigger.

My ongoing moan. Why can't Gamo get it right when the gun comes out of the box.  I know, cost and profit but what about pride in product.
  • New Zealand

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: