the $40 hand pump

Author Topic: the $40 hand pump  (Read 294 times))

Offline stevemag

• GTA Senior Contributor
the $40 hand pump
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:42:02 PM »
got mine today from eBay, the one a lot of people are talking about.
So i don't know anything at all about pumps. there were some vague direction and lots of extra parts. the fitting worked on my new bottle and i tried it out.
Pumped about 50 times, nice and slow. got up to about 700psi.
Not every pump seemed like it was doing something.  some offered resistance and some didn't.
hour later did another 30 or so pumps and it started leaking air at the fitting to the tank. around 900psi.
i assume some teflon tape will fix that.
it also said to apply silicon oil, every 50 pumps or so to various parts.
 (i'll have to get that, Home depot?) so far I'm not that impressed with the whole hand pump situation.
any advice?
steve

HW95L .22
xs25m .22
xs28m .22
QB78D .22
Hammerli 850 .22

Offline mikeyb

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: the $40 hand pump
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:04:27 AM »
About 50 pumps to get to 700 psi sounds pretty good.

My Bullboss volume is 230cc, which is about 14 cubic inches, and the $41 ebay pump will refill it from 2000 psi (133 bar) to 3000 psi (200 bar) with 120 full-stroke up-down slow pumps. The multi-stage pump really needs to be fully extended and fully compressed on each stroke. I didn't count the number of pumps to get to 2000 psi, but it was a lot and I took a couple breaks. I'm going to estimate the TOTAL number of pumps to go from "0" to 3000 psi was about 380 pumps? Needed a few extra to account for hose, filter, and fitting volumes. I put a couple drops of silicone oil on the main pump body every 3rd refill or so (~400 pumps). No problems yet.

I did initially have fitting and gauge thread leaks and needed to carefully teflon tape those points. On HPA fittings there are supposed to be Delrin compression washers that seal BEFORE the threads. I think the imported pumps and fitting tolerances are poor and those compression seals (if present) didn't work for me. The teflon tape is needed on the threads to fix those leaks. If you have ANY leaks at threads for fittings or gauges, even TINY leaks, you have to stop, depressurize, and fix them first.

If you get  to 300 pumps and the 13 cubic inch bottle is NOT near 3000 psi, you either still have leaks or the pump itself is not working properly.
  • USA, NY, Rochester

Offline Brian10956

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
If you want to save money on gym membership use a hand pump. That are small and after your exercise it can be easy to store.
If you want to fill your air rifle save for a compressor. Or look for a friendly shooter who has one and is willing to fill a tank for you.If you canít find a way to get HP air without killing yourself I would stick with springers.
  • New City,  NY
Hatsan Gladius Long 22 caliber Lane regulator
Edgun Leshiy 22/25 caliber Huma Reg. +25 cal 350mm
FX Crown 25 caliber
FX Impact 30,25 caliber
Crosman 760 from 1972
Edgun Matador 25 Caliber Long Huma Magnum
Weihrauch HW 97KT 17 caliber
Marauder 25 mds hammer, TSS plus SS valve
Daystate RedWolf HP 25 caliber
RAW HM1000 LRT 25 caliber

Offline stevemag

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
If you want to save money on gym membership use a hand pump. That are small and after your exercise it can be easy to store.
If you want to fill your air rifle save for a compressor. Or look for a friendly shooter who has one and is willing to fill a tank for you.If you canít find a way to get HP air without killing yourself I would stick with springers.
as i was pumping , i just kept thinking, nope ,nope, nope. gimme my hw95.  we'll see how it works out when i am done.
steve

HW95L .22
xs25m .22
xs28m .22
QB78D .22
Hammerli 850 .22

Offline stevemag

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:07:23 PM »
found some useful videos on this pump

steve

HW95L .22
xs25m .22
xs28m .22
QB78D .22
Hammerli 850 .22

Offline stevemag

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »
steve

HW95L .22
xs25m .22
xs28m .22
QB78D .22
Hammerli 850 .22

Offline Eddie_E

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 08:13:00 PM »
If you are a bit of a tinkerer, Tear down the pump and clean everything with silicone spray and wipe dry. Then assemble it properly using Team Associated or Losi 27 or 30 wt RC shock oil on all 0-rings. Europeans should use Xray 350.
My pump was a little over lubed on the outer chamber, but nearly dry on the high pressure seal. I cleaned and lubed everything and now I hardly get any heat from pumping and I fill my 165 cc gun from 1000 psi to 2800 in 40 strokes. Some of the instructions didn't mention putting the fat walled o-rings under the guage and the hose. Some guys got the gauge tight enough without them, but using the o-rings means you only have to tighten the gauge 1/16 turn past hand tight. The youtube vids are good for the re-build.
  • Framingham, MA, USA

Offline stevemag

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:09 PM »
Thank you, good to know. I think quite few members have this pump.
steve

HW95L .22
xs25m .22
xs28m .22
QB78D .22
Hammerli 850 .22

Offline stretch

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 08:51:56 PM »
I don't know if all of these $38 - $40 pumps are the same, but here's my experience:  From the outside, mine looked well made and was similar to other pumps I used except that it was filled with water and had a filter on the outlet hose (rather than on the low pressure air intake).  I've only used it twice.  Once to fill up my Disco from 1,000 psi to 2,000 psi and a second time to fill my Vista Liberty from 0 psi to 3,000 psi.  I should note that my normal routing for using a hand pump is 20 pumps then stop.  If the pump is cool I give it another 20 pumps and then stop for 5 or so minutes.  I then repeat this until the rifle is filled.

The first time I used it I needed to tighten the hose, gauge and bleeder a bit more than I expected, but it held air.  I did notice some unusual sounds from the cylinders, but having never used a hand pump that was filled with water I guessed that might be normal.

The second time took considerably longer and I noticed that the pump was getting warmer sooner than the first time.  I gave it longer breaks to cool down but I noted more "sounds" coming from the pump cylinders than previously.  Especially after I reached 2,000 psi.  Around 2,500 psi I noticed wetness accumulating around the base of the pump.  At 3,000 psi I quit and wiped the base of the pump with a paper towel.  It was wet and black and continued to leak for several minutes after I had finished.  I'm assuming one or more of the internal o-rings or seals were wearing and the water had started to leak out.  That really concerned me because, although water leaking out of the pump is bad, but leaking into the rifle's tank would be a -very- bad thing.  I checked the filter on the hose and it seemed dry so I think no harm was done.  But I took this as a warning and ordered a new Air Venturi / Hills pump.

Based on this experience, I don't know that I would trust this pump to fill an expensive rifle.  I think the risk of water leaking from the pump into the rifle aren't worth the $100 savings on a pump.  I wonder if the pump would work without water in it?  Or are the seals / o-rings not sufficient to survive without water lubrication and cooling?  Or if silicone oil might be used instead of water?  At any rate, my plan is to put this pump to the side until I have time to tear it apart and rebuild it.
  • Outer Banks, North Carolina
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."  Abraham Lincoln

Air:
Benjamin Discovery .22, Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44  (loving this rifle!)
ATI Vista Liberty .22, Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 (testing now)

Powder:
Armalite M-15 18" competition, iron sights
CZ 455 Varmint .22lr Nikon 6-18x40
Savage Mk II .22lr BSA 3-9x40

Online Back_Roads

• ???
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Sentry 702-3 .22 40 FPE W/ 30 gr. BBT FN
    • https://www.facebook.com/pg/longshot/about/
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »
 Many have bought these pumps way before they got their PCP guns, the cheapest purchase on the way down the rabbit insert critter< here >hole.
 Rebuilding a pump is fairly close to a PCP also a good learning experience.
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
We Got The Guns !

Offline stevemag

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 10:10:20 PM »
the seneca aspen is starting to look better to me , Co2 also for that matter. the hand pump is like another hobby or chore.
steve

HW95L .22
xs25m .22
xs28m .22
QB78D .22
Hammerli 850 .22

Offline stretch

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 05:59:15 AM »
the seneca aspen is starting to look better to me , Co2 also for that matter. the hand pump is like another hobby or chore.

I'm still glad I picked the Liberty, but I've learned my lesson.  Don't buy cheap.  I'm getting a good hand pump and if or when the Liberty dies, I'll cough up the bucks for a well made, American / European made rifle.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."  Abraham Lincoln

Air:

Powder:

Offline Eddie_E

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »
Stretch, I think the idea of putting water in the pump was half baked mod from one vendor of these pumps. Neither the G6 pump they copied nor any of the other vendors of this cheap pump use water. Straight water is not a proper lubricant, even though it may cool the pump a little. Try running with just a couple drops of silicone on each o-ring and I think you will be impressed.
  • Framingham, MA, USA

Offline stretch

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »
Stretch, I think the idea of putting water in the pump was half baked mod from one vendor of these pumps. Neither the G6 pump they copied nor any of the other vendors of this cheap pump use water. Straight water is not a proper lubricant, even though it may cool the pump a little. Try running with just a couple drops of silicone on each o-ring and I think you will be impressed.

That's my plan.  My new Hill pump just arrived and so far I've used it to pump up my Disco to 2k psi and my Liberty to 3.2K psi.  It's pumping faster (fewer strokes), cooler and no weird noises.  Right now I'm letting it cool and then will try to go to 4k psi.

Edit:  got it to 4,100 psi when I decided to stop.  Quite a work out, but much easier and faster than either of my other two pumps.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:12:13 PM by stretch »

Air:

Powder:

Offline Blue

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »
Hey Steve!  If you're pumping a bottle it might get to be a pain hand pumping, I have no experience beyond anything bigger than a Marauder tube and it's a pain to fill from empty but not bad just refilling.

I tried rebuilding my first pump (which I thought was a never to be seen again bargain at $75).  After never getting my rebuilds quite right I gave up and got one of the cheapies on Amazon (I think the current one is a Vevor).  It works so well that I now consider my hand pumps "disposable". As soon as it develops a problem, I'll ditch it and get another.  My current cheap-o was around $40 and has been going like a champ for a year, I'm pretty happy with that.

Blue
  • Colorado

Offline stevemag

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:25 PM »
good to hear, still waiting for one more part for the bottle and i'll start test it out.
steve

HW95L .22
xs25m .22
xs28m .22
QB78D .22
Hammerli 850 .22

Online ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 07:24:02 PM »
To this day I still fill my Regal and Compatto by hand pump (both small 150-162cc reservoirs) as it is very convenient and I usually just need 20-40 pumps to top off, technique is paramount to easy pumping (I only weigh a buck 50). I do have a Yong Heng but it takes more time to set up and break down...will be used mostly for a bottle or bottle gun. I do use 100% silicone grease on my china and Hill pumps main tube every 3 to 4 refills and silicone oil on the China makes inside plunger every 3 months. Have only replaced one oíring on the China pump (the thin one at the base of the tube) in over a years use. Hill pump Iíve have had the longest and fingers crossed works flawlessly!
  • U.S. CA
RWS 48 T06 .22 UTG 3-12X44 EG
Daystate HRXL .22 Discovery VT-T 4.5-18x44 SFVF-N FFP
Brocock Compatto .22 Discovery HD 4-20X50 SFIR FFP

Offline wheelie

• Shooter
  • yes
    • Independent Riders
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 10:22:53 PM »
I have a cheap hand pump and it works fine. 50 pumps from 1200 to 2000 for my QB Chief. Do have a 3000psi 13ci tank and it is a lot of pumps and a lot more work going from 2000 to 3000. Break after every forty to fifty pumps.
  • Ont. Canada

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.