Vintage B3-1

Author Topic: Vintage B3-1  (Read 322 times))

Offline CENTURION

• Marksman
  • yes
Vintage B3-1
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »
Circa 1975, still packs a punch at 60 ft., zinged through a .22 pellet tin no problem. .177 10. 6 gr Cosman magnums. They sure did not care about the looks of the stocks back then, that varnish looks like it was slapped on with a brush, and she's got original runs ;D In today's modern age where you can get a pretty decent air rifle for $60-$100 it's hard to believe they still sell these, even with their improved quality.

Offline Matchstickshooter

• Expert
  • yes
Re: Vintage B3-1
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:08:04 PM »
Circa 1975, still packs a punch at 60 ft., zinged through a .22 pellet tin no problem. .177 10. 6 gr Cosman magnums. They sure did not care about the looks of the stocks back then, that varnish looks like it was slapped on with a brush, and she's got original runs ;D In today's modern age where you can get a pretty decent air rifle for $60-$100 it's hard to believe they still sell these, even with their improved quality.

Found my first B3 at a show; had some surface rust( specs) and some nasty orange varnish,complete with runs. The rear sight attached to the scope rail.
Did some searching online, found Kermit Airgun Club in Texas ,(very big on the B3) and went from there. Built their Spring compressor,got a South Summit kit with the main spring and seals,etc.
 As it turned out I had a leather piston seal.  So I found further mods and made a great shooter out of it.
 .177, and it was a scope killer.
 The stock was a beaut under all that varnish. No cracks,knots,nail holes or filler.      Wish I still had that one.
 I've a pic if I can locate it...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:13:11 PM by Matchstickshooter »
  • Lyndon,Vt.

Offline CENTURION

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:54:52 PM »
Looks like it came out nice, the last batch of these type guns I bought about 3 years ago were better quality wood and bluing for sure. Just don't see anyone shooting them anymore, with the price of gas ram guns getting down to $80-$100 from big box stores, seems like these would be a hard sell.

Offline Slavia

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »
In today's modern age where you can get a pretty decent air rifle for $60-$100 it's hard to believe they still sell these, even with their improved quality.

I have three - two from Cummins for $20 each, and one used for $10.  What would the modern equivalent be?
  • Waseca, Minnesota

Offline CENTURION

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »
You can find the newer ones on-line anywhere from $28-$69 and of course shipping.

Offline GumpIsrael

• Eye Sea Yoo
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:34:05 AM »
In today's modern age where you can get a pretty decent air rifle for $60-$100 it's hard to believe they still sell these, even with their improved quality.
I have three - two from Cummins for $20 each, and one used for $10.  What would the modern equivalent be?
Man i don't think there is one, my B3-3 is probably as modern as the that design got. And it's not much better lol
  • Austin, Texas
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life."

Mine
HW30S .177
XS-25 SFB
QB38-GD
Daisy Model 99
Daisy Model 99
Daisy 201
Stoeger X10

John's
Daisy Buck
Daisy Red Ryder
Daisy 2100

Kendra's
Daisy 15XT

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 06:23:25 PM »
Man i don't think there is one, my B3-3 is probably as modern as the that design got. And it's not much better lol

I have the generic manual that came with my B3-2.On the cover it shows B3-1,B3-2,(like mine) and B3-3.
Inside under "Knowing Your Air Rifle" it shows the model B3-3 as having a synthetic stock and  having a safety? Is that like yours?  I have never seen one.
  • Lyndon,Vt.

Offline GumpIsrael

• Eye Sea Yoo
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 12:19:16 AM »

I have the generic manual that came with my B3-2.On the cover it shows B3-1,B3-2,(like mine) and B3-3.
Inside under "Knowing Your Air Rifle" it shows the model B3-3 as having a synthetic stock and  having a safety? Is that like yours?  I have never seen one.
Actually, I've only been told what I've got is a B3-3, lol, so idk for sure. But mine is a wood stock, came with a synthetic piston seal and different looking piston, it has an anti-bear trap, metal cocking arm retainer with push-button release, and no safety. Also the stock holds in the trigger pins.

Idk if this is a B3-3 or not, all I really know is that after my best tuning efforts, this thing still shotguns targets at 10m. I'm pretty sure it's the piston seal causing problems.
  • Austin, Texas

Mine
HW30S .177
XS-25 SFB
QB38-GD
Daisy Model 99
Daisy Model 99
Daisy 201
Stoeger X10

John's
Daisy Buck
Daisy Red Ryder
Daisy 2100

Kendra's
Daisy 15XT

Offline GumpIsrael

• Eye Sea Yoo
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 01:19:05 AM »
Nevermind, I was wrong, what I have is a QB-36 from SAG. This comes after I sent an email to someone at Snowpeak asking if they thought it may have come from them... :-\
  • Austin, Texas

Mine
HW30S .177
XS-25 SFB
QB38-GD
Daisy Model 99
Daisy Model 99
Daisy 201
Stoeger X10

John's
Daisy Buck
Daisy Red Ryder
Daisy 2100

Kendra's
Daisy 15XT

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 11:24:07 AM »
Possibly piston seal, I'd probably try  checking the barrel crown, to see if its off or burred.
You can test with a Q tip,see if it pulls off any fuzz.
 I'd recrown and test some different pellets through it.

I saw a big difference between Crosman pellets and softer Daisy pellets,and how they shoot.
Crosman pellets are made with Antimony,to make them harder,less chance of deforming.
 JMHO

• Lyndon,Vt.

Offline nced

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »

When living in West Virginia a couple decades ago I bought two B3s from a Cummins Truckload sale for $19.95 each and cobbled together the two guns into a pretty good shooter. I cleaned up the internals (lots of sharp edges) and replaced the leather piston seal with a home turned oring sealed piston cap. The oring sealed piston cap alone increased the .177 8.4 grain pellet velocity from 550fps to 700fps.
With factory iron sights at 25 yards...........

Factory sights stripped off and replaced with a short 6x Burris Compact scope that cost several times more than both B3s together............

The piston mod..........

The replacement spring guide.........

The trigger mod...........

The "fine" fit and finish of the stock............

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Thank you for Supporting GTA!
Sponsored Ad: