Drill facet sharpening

Author Topic: Drill facet sharpening  (Read 154 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline EricFR

• Shooter
  • yes
Drill facet sharpening
« on: January 22, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
Hello,

For those who love drills which cut well and not only heating up the metal, I've learned to sharpen them by hand thanks to the article "DRILL POINT GEOMETRY" by Joseph Mazoff.
It's pretty interesting to see the different geometries for the different materials but usually it's still fo steel or iron.

http://www.newmantools.com/machines/drillpoint.html

My sharpenings :
The first one is the 4 facet sharpening with the chisel point clearly visible

This is what I do on big ones with 8 facets, I do it starting at the size of 12mm or so (1/2") up to 32mm (1 1/4")

Doing so, you don't need any pilot holes thanks to the 5th and 6th facets and it won't walk with the point.

Everything is explained in the link, it took me hours of training to master this and I do it on a simple bench grinder (with a good and sharp stone).

I've done a complete guide with pictures inspired about this but I've made it for my work, it's not in English but everything is comming from there.

Once mastered, you'll even find that new drills are just cutting poorly and you'll resharpen them out of the box. (I don't talk about quality ones with already multiple facets)

Have a good training.
  • Alsace - France

Offline RBQChicken

• Sharp Shooter
  • The first time I hit it, I missed.
Re: Drill facet sharpening
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »
Thanks for the link!
  • U.P. of MI

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "EXPERIENCE" ... Our Reward For Lifes Mistakes
Re: Drill facet sharpening
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 05:12:51 PM »
Hand sharpening drills was a skill learned when i was just out of high school while working as a machinist apprentice .... Actually one of the very first machine shop skills required.
Good stuff to share indeed !
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: