New Y H air compressor on the way... what else do I need?

Author Topic: New Y H air compressor on the way... what else do I need?  (Read 1287 times))

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: New Y H air compressor on the way... what else do I need?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »
Well after a cumulative 2 hours on the compressor I decided to do a few things.

I drained the oil out of the tiny drain plug but filtered it through a coffee filter. The oil was a little darker than when brand new but no evidence of that 'burnt smell' and not really discolored. Also not a single trace of metal shavings. There may be some in the sump but decided to not take off the crankcase cover as I have read what a nightmare that goofy rubber gasket can be. I am satisfied.

But before I did that I checked for air leaks using soapy water in a spray bottle and yup, small leaks everywhere. So I decided to do something about that too :D

20190224_133132 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

20190224_133143 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Removed all the tubing and fittings and applied a thin coat of this form a gasket to the fittings, threads, and compression washers. Being very carefull to not get any in the air passages.

20190224_133216 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

A couple of the fittings were double washered and these were the biggest culprits. Now all I have to do is wait 24 hours before I run it again :P

Good thing I flled the bottle yesterday!

Offline tracker1955

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2019, 10:59:57 PM »
I find it odd that some of your fittings have two compression washers on them, one is the norm, I'm not understanding the need for two, did it come that way or did you take your spares from parts bag and double them up for some reason?
  • LaVergne Tn.
22 Synrod
22 Nova Vista Liberty
177 Disco

Yong Heng compressor

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2019, 11:19:01 PM »
I find it odd that some of your fittings have two compression washers on them, one is the norm, I'm not understanding the need for two, did it come that way or did you take your spares from parts bag and double them up for some reason?

You are not alone. I thought it strange too.

Yes it came like that. I'm going to go off on a limb here and guess that the fitting was just a little too long  ::)

It will be interesting to see if other YH compressor owners also have the double gaskets?

Offline hollowpoint1911

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2019, 01:29:06 AM »
My YH also has fittings with double washers... Bugs me every time I see it.
  • California

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »
A brief update. After 'sealing' the fittings with the Liquitex and letting it cure for 24 hours I did my first fill with it today.

Went from an average of 5 to 7 minutes to a little over 4 minutes.

So yes some improvement  :D

Online USAFANG6799

• "Keep your air dry"
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2019, 06:51:37 PM »
Double washers are here and there on mine.
No lose connections.
Have close to 9 hrs on mine.
  • PCS - Maine

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
I only had one connection that came loose, that was the output on top of the cylinders.

Still I made up some soapy water and sprayed that on various fittings and you could see the tell tale bubbles. A couple of the compression fittings on the tubing were leaking slightly as well. I painted those rubber part with the Permatex also.

It was probably just fine but I like to tinker so...

4.5 minutes in lieu of 5 meh probably not worth the effort :D

Offline profsrgary

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2019, 09:08:54 PM »
My Yong Heng has single washers on the small dia line fittings and double washers on the larger tube fittings.
  • USA, PA, Dover

Offline shinyknight

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »
Dude you seem to be attacking the Yong Heng. Act like it's an cheap Chinese &^^& that is waiting to blow up and kill you. 90% of all items in the US is made is China. Also you dont need super expensive oil. I run what was recommended on my Yong Heng (hydraulic oil iso 46) and it fills my gun. Does the job. And I'm still alive. These hpa compressor are not as dangerous as you trying to make it out to be. How many have been kill by a hpa compressor? 1? Probably not even 1. Lol. How many people have been kill by cars? Thousands and millions been kill by car accident but we all still get in our car knowing any day we will be next. It's kinda funny, cause you are 50 times likely to be kill on the highway in your car vs being blown up by your compressor. Lol. Also air tube and bottles have 3000-4500psi yet we put it right next to our face when shooting and next thought it would kill us. Stop being paranoid and attacking these low cost compressor/oil.

Yes, some have gotten away with standard synthetic oils. some have had the crank case cover blown completely too. As well as destroyed valves and rods.

Just because some poster says he has gotten away with it, doesn't make it he smart, or correct thing to do. There are a lot of things you can get away with Sometimes, Some times not. Exactly where the game Russian Roulette comes from. I'n not playing.  ;D [size=78%] [/size]
  • St Paul, Minnesota, USA

Offline squirrel_hunter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2019, 01:00:33 AM »
My Yong Heng has single washers on the small dia line fittings and double washers on the larger tube fittings.
one of my YH has only one washer per fitting and the other YH has just one fitting with two washers.
    no the YHs are not bombs and not one air gunner has been killed or maimed by one.my temps has never gotten above 45c even when filling a rifle from empty,re-fills my rifles under 35 seconds,i do not fill tanks with the YH compressors.
  • galion ohio

Offline profsrgary

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2019, 09:20:04 PM »
I am extremely happy with my Yong Heng. I use the oil specified, Why? Well because that is what the manufacturer specified. As far as the crank case cover blowing off as was mentioned earlier. How did the crank case build up that amount of pressure? Could the user have decided not to pull the plug from the crank case and put the breather in. I took compressed air and blew through the breather before installing it and can see no way the crank case can build that type of pressure unless there is an out and out explosion. I don't see that happening with a 30 second run time. Quite honestly I am not sure the cooling water is needed but use it so the head heats up and cools down evenly. I can't say these compressors would work great for filling tanks on a daily basis as I have no experience doing such but for filling my air guns to shoot at my home this is a terrific option.
  • USA, PA, Dover

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2019, 09:45:11 PM »
I have seen those pictures of the fractured crankcase cover and I still think it was a stress fracture or a faulty casting that pretty much just fell apart from vibration and heat cycles. The only other thing I can think of is the guy never put the breather on and the constant positive and negative pressure in the crank case from the primary piston going up and down fatigued it.

I've been using mine to fill a 90 cu in tank. It takes right around 5 minutes or less. Temperature never gets much past 50C and it is just room temperature untreated tap water.

Like I said I only have two hours of run time on it including break in. Lets see how it is after say 10 hours or more :D

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.

Sponsored Ad: