What is Accuracy for a Gamo

Author Topic: What is Accuracy for a Gamo  (Read 869 times))

Offline Yarddog

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: What is Accuracy for a Gamo
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 04:26:25 PM »
Yard dog, you are totally correct that I am on a budget. I am looking forward to trying out the new scope and seeing if it really does improve my accuracy. Thank you again everyone who has made suggestions.
It may or may not increase your accuracy...but it for certain will benefit your sight picture, and your experience!  Sometimes...not always...that means better accuracy...
  • Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Offline Jord99999

• Shooter
  • Im a LIFER springer
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
I was able to get my hammers scope on Wednesday and I got it sighted in on Thursday. Sorry for the late post but I have been caught up in school exams. I sighted it in for 20 yards and to my surprise my groups shrank even more. I would like to share a few pictures, but I am not sure how? And yes I am very happy with the scope. Very well built and hopefully it lasts
  • USA, Wisconsin, Waukesha
Gamo Silent Cat, .177
-
-
-
-
-
Soon To be more

Shoot...........and Shoot Some More- Jordan

Offline Yarddog

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 08:26:18 PM »
Well, sir, now you know what I know!  I really like these scopes!
  • Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Offline Jord99999

• Shooter
  • Im a LIFER springer
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 11:36:42 PM »
Here is a picture of my gun and a group I shot at 30 yards earlier today.
Gamo Silent Cat, .177
-
-
-
-
-
Soon To be more

Offline Jord99999

• Shooter
  • Im a LIFER springer
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 11:37:31 PM »
and my gun
Gamo Silent Cat, .177
-
-
-
-
-
Soon To be more

Offline Yarddog

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 03:54:36 PM »
Well now...not too shabby!
  • Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Offline nced

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 05:21:28 PM »
I had bought about a gamo shadow whisper (aka silent cat same exact specs). I had tried the gun from about five yards and it was doing about a 2 1/2 inch groups. It was very frustrating. I then did some research and realized how much gunk can be in the barrel. I used some alcohol and cleaned the barrel out with wipes and it WAS dirty. The groupings got MUCH tighter I mean at 5 yards I was getting the same whole every time. At this time I was using daisy pointed precision max pellets for only 1.97 at Walmart. I backed up to around 10 yards and the group went from same hole to a 5 inch group. I was freakin out. I bought EVERY pellet at Walmart and except the Crosman Premier Hp. I tried the piranhas and all the other pellets and the best I could do was around 2 inches. I then bought the CPHP and it turned my groups at ten yards into less than a half inch. I backed out to around 25 yards (probably like 23) but I was able to consistently get a quarter size group and I am wondering if I should be getting better than that. I have heard stories of people getting quarter size groups at 40 and 50 yards, is that even possible? Thank You so Much for your input.
Years ago I bought a Gamo440 and after some home tuning the BEST accuracy I got was a "can rolling" 1" ctc at 30 yards with the most accurate pellet. I was very disappointed by the tooth rattling shot cycle, poor trigger and mediocre accuracy, even after installing a trigger insert that made the trigger usable.

Anywhoo....I didn't own that Gamo very long before I literally "land filled" the gun. LOL....in contrast I was able to shoot these groups with a Cummins Truckload Sale where I bought two Chinese B3s for $19.95 each and cobbled together one pretty good shooter.........
Iron sighted at 25 yards............

Scoped group at 25 yards...........

Anywhoo....that cheap Chinese under lever was twice as accurate as the Gamo440!

Online Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Don't be standin on the tables there boys!
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »
Well now...not too shabby!

I agree 100%. If That group was at 20 yards with Walmart pellets you are above average for a Noob!
Keep up the good work.
Pistols
Crosman: PC77, 1740, 1701P
Benjiman H9A

Rifles
Air Arms: S400-SL Carbine FAC
Beeman: RS2 Silver Kodiak,
Benjamin: 312, 342, 392P, 392PA, Maximus
Crosman: Genesis NP .22, Quest 1000X, Raven, 2nd & 3rd var 160's
Feinwerkbau: FWB 300S
Gamo: Recon
SAG: AR2078-B, QB58
Sheridan: C Blue Streak, C9 Blue Streak, Model F Co2
Weihrauch: HW98
Xisico: XS60C .22, Sentry 702-3 .22

Proud Member of F.U.G.L.Y.

Offline RedFeather

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 03:54:24 PM »
I think Shadow is back in business. But that's a lot to be sinking into a Gamo unless it is very special to you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:58:14 PM by RedFeather »

Offline Novagun

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 04:25:45 PM »
Mr007s. Gamo rifles are not the best that can be had but they are not too bad and can be made very good but it takes some time and effort. None of it is particularly hard for an amateur airgun mechanic. You do need some tools and the confidence to start. Springs do break but your experience seems unusual.
You do not mention which model Gamo you have and some models are worse than others. If it is an underlever then they can be made to shoot very well. If it is a reasonable level break barrel then there is no practical reason why it should not shoot just as well provided the mechanics of the rifle are sound.
There is a wealth of information on this forum about how to go about making improvements but maybe not all in one place.
A  sticky, the beginners guide to improving your airgun would help. It could set out the steps to take.
There's a thought, maybe next rainy week.
  • New Zealand

Offline Jord99999

• Shooter
  • Im a LIFER springer
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 12:02:55 AM »
You do not mention which model Gamo you have and some models are worse than others.
I posted the specific model in the first passage. I have shadow whisper that I had purchased from Walmart and it is the first ever airgun that I have owned and I am really trying to make it as accurate as possible. Its a synthetic stock and I was contemplating putting sand in the stock to reduce some of the "buzz" from the spring. Do you guys have any experience with filling in synthetic stocks and if so what did you use? I am on 16 years old, but have taken many things apart and have already done the same to my silent cat. I a just wondering what is there to do to modify the gun that I can do at home. Thank you in advance.
Gamo Silent Cat, .177
-
-
-
-
-
Soon To be more

Offline 19Sheridan57

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 06:20:55 AM »
  I have done this with synthetic stocks, but not ona Gamo. Buy a container of Plumber's putty & put some of it in a freezer bag. Cram it into the stock crevices. You can remove or add some as you try it. The bag makes it stay moist & it is easy to remove if it doesn't work out.
  • Florida

Offline Pandur_HR

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 10:14:33 AM »
Gamo Magnum IGT .22 as purchased, no modifications done. Hawke scope mounted.

JSB 18.13 gr at long range
JSB 15.9 gr at short range

1/2" group at 30 yards. 5" inch group at 160 yards.

I found that quite accurate for a springer.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:20:53 AM by Pandur_HR »
  • City of Osijek, Croatia

Offline Jord99999

• Shooter
  • Im a LIFER springer
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
I went out shooting today and was able to achieve consistent sub quarter inch 5 shot groups at 30 yards with crosman premier hollow points. I had ordered some rws superdome pellets and they arrived today. I shot 20 pellets through the barrel and then shot multiple groups. Here is just one of the many under a dime 5 shot groups that I achieved. I also did fill the stock with sand. I filled the holes with black silicone so the internals will not see the sand. I then packed the stock with sand and it has helped greatly reduce the recoil and I have noticed more consistent groups. I will continue to shoot the rws pellets to see if I can get even better groups.
Gamo Silent Cat, .177
-
-
-
-
-
Soon To be more

Offline Pandur_HR

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 07:52:34 PM »
Excellent group for a springer at that distance.

There is nothing wrong with Gamo accuracy. Find a correct pellet and learn to shoot it.
Correct quality pellet is very important part of accuracy, just as barrel, trigger pull and stock ergonomy.

Scope is not just a visual experience. I found a big difference between Gamo and Hawke scopes.

Hawke I zeroed once, and do not touch anymore. Gamo scope I would re-zero every 100-200 pellets.
Number of flyers significantly decreased with Hawke. Obviously quality of scope springs differs.

BTW Gamo scope performed quite well, but the groups are tighter with Hawke with less flyers.

At long range, Gamo scopes are missing parallax adjustement. Miss can be several inches only on parallax.

All scopes have to be near the optical zero to give their best result at long term.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:44:36 PM by Pandur_HR »
  • City of Osijek, Croatia

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »
Still tweaking the Gamo's when requested and a good tune can pull a diamond out of the rough. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: