It's back!! RWS 34P .177 at Cabelas - $150 (w/4x32AO)[Deal dead (again) @05Feb]

Author Topic: It's back!! RWS 34P .177 at Cabelas - $150 (w/4x32AO)[Deal dead (again) @05Feb]  (Read 4161 times))

Offline HectorMedina

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
    • Connecticut Custom Airguns
Re: It's back!! RWS 34P .177 at Cabelas - $150 (w/4x32AO)[Deal NOT dead @01Feb]
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
Clem;

Depending on how the stock fits you, you could glue or screw a furniture rubber foot to the stock's heel.
If you use the heel into your shoulder cavity, get a flat one, if you use the heel above it, get a curved one.
You can get a square one and sand to the profile you want.
There are thousands of choices/options to personalize and make that gun fit YOU.
I do that when I wrap the stocks of my rifles with leather, but that is another story . . . LOL!

Usually stock moulds have useful runs of about 5-10,000 pieces, dunno where we are in this particular mold, and it does not make sense to spend thousands to alter a mould that is halfway through its useful life. Mold itself is worth tens of thousands.

Yes, I will pass it on, ;-)

Thanks for the feedback and hope the furniture foot bit helps you and the rest of the friends here.

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM
  • USA, Maryland, Darnestown

Online only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2019, 12:19:40 AM »
Randy, craftsmanship and bluing on all my Diana spring guns has been excellent.  Of course it's up to you to keep up with the maintenance, oiling and protecting the metal parts, barrel, etc. to retain the condition the gun arrived in.  Compared to the Crosman PCP's, Springers and CO2 guns that I own, the bluing and overall quality on the German guns is way better, almost night and day.  For $150 you are not going to get anything close in quality from Crosman, Gamo or other manufacturers. 

I am not sure how much you expect for $150 or what you would be comparing it to, but if for example you get a Crosman Custom 2240/2300 for nearly $150 (like I did), you will quickly realize how inferior the quality and bluing are compared to any gun from RWS/Diana, or my 2 Disco's that cost more that have very average bluing compared to my Diana's deep bluing that has lasted for a decade or more now.  Most of my Crosman barrels need to be re-blued after a few short years. 
I have another German CO2 rifle ($190 at the time) - the Hammerli 850 that is >10 years old and the bluing still looks like when I first got it.  Can't say the same with most of my other non-German guns. 

Harry

I once saw a Chinese built Beeman break-barrel that a guy was selling, and while I didn't care for the dark finish on the wood I was impressed with the quality of the finish. What really impressed me was the blueing on the metal!  Deep blue-black, and smooth as a mirror.  I guess I'm hoping the metal on the 34 will be something like that but if not, I'm sure it will be better than my Titan or my Hatsan 95.

Beeman imposed their own specifications on guns from other manufacturers they put their name on.  They had to be higher quality and the Beeman brand demanded a higher price.  I am sure rich deep bluing and good wood finish were 2 of them.

Harry 
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Umarex M&P45
Remington NPSS .22,  Crosman 2240
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T

Offline UhClem

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »
Depending on how the stock fits you, ...
Hi Hector,
Thanks for the response. I'm afraid I was (a little?) too obtuse when introducing this "issue":
[UhClem:]Speaking of the butt-plate ... the top-rear, the smooth part above the top screw, definitely should be real rubber. [The scope you save will be your own.]
[Switching mode from cute to clinical ...] On the 34P, due to the material used for its "recoil pad", when you stand the rifle up and lean it against a wall, the very low coefficient of friction of this non-rubber material with any smooth floor has a strong tendency to slip. On (nice) wood floors (even my painted porch floor if morning-dew-damp), every other rifle, with rubber at that mating surface, can safely sustain a (typical) ~15deg angle. But, with the 34P, any (non-contact) disturbance/vibration (e.g. a door closing, or someone walking several feet away) will provide that tipping/slipping point.

It may even be helpful (sufficient?) to extend the current horizontal grooving upward through the (now smooth) heel. I'll probably experiment with that.

Another micro-refinement worth considering (on a subsequent mould) would be to eliminate the two sharp edges on the bottom of the fore-stock, where the cocking slot narrows. [Sure, a few passes with a file corrects this, but ... Is your name Franz, or FuManchu?]
-----
Where can I buy a beard trimmer with an Undo button?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:50:53 AM by UhClem »
  • USA, NH
"That was the best shot I ever seen."
  --"The worst! I was aiming at the horse."

Offline kerplunk

• Shooter
  • yes
I ordered mine Feb. 1 and got a confirmation from Cabela's, then got an update on Feb. 6 saying they would inform me when it ships. Both said it would ship directly from the manufacturer. Still nothing today so I called to check. The very pleasant customer service lady told me it shipped on Tuesday, but since shipping is 4-7 business days it may be here as late as Wednesday, February 13. She couldn't get me a tracking number because their drop-ship department is not open today. I asked if they could email it to me but she advised me to call back on Monday.

Historically Cabela's hasn't gotten much of my business because of their high prices, but now I can add slow shipping and bad communication to reasons for not shopping there. Unless there's a smoking deal on a product I want but don't really need! To their credit, I was able to quickly get a real person on the phone that was friendly and helpful.
  • Central Texas, USA
.177 rifles- Daisy 880, Gamo Whisper Silent Cat, Crosman Vantage NP, Benjamin Trail NP2, Winchester Model 1000 (Hatsan)
.22 rifles- Hatsan 125, Hatsan Vortex Edge, Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Elite
.25 rifle- Hatsan Vortex Edge
.177 pistols- Browning Buckmark URX, Gamo PT-80 Tactical, Smith & Wesson M&P (x2)

Looking for Gamo PT-80/PT-90 rotary clips! PayPal ready!

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The 3rd GTA Musketeer (per Gene Curtis)
Cabelas has always been slow when it comes to notification of shipment, at least with respect to the orders I've made, but if you simply log onto your account that information has always been up to date and available so I've never had any problems tracking the progress of my order.  When I ordered my 34P I knew it was being shipped directly from the manufacturer so I expected a longer delivery time, but wound up it was delivered within the time span they originally stated.   Also, I agree with you in that the service representatives are very friendly and helpful,, I've called them several times over the years with order issues and they've always done the right thing by me  :)  Anyway, just my personal experience.  Hope you like your new rifle as much as I love mine  :)

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York
If it was easy it wouldn't be hunting it would be shopping.

Online only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
Jeff, did your 34 drop-ship from Umarex?  Did it have Umarex's address on the shipping label?

I have never had any problems with Cabela's Customer Service either.  The reps are always polite and try their best to help you or make up for their company's screw-ups.  I stopped shopping at Cabela's for 3 or 4 years but started up again.  That was because 80% of the .22LR ammo I ordered from them was damaged. They were one of the few online vendors that had some 22LR now and then during the 2012-2016 ammo shortage/panic, so I had no choice.  They do not put much packing material in their 1 or 2 size (fits all) shipping boxes, so the fragile rimfire boxes would get damaged, especially the plastic ones that cracked and all the rounds were loose at the bottom of the shipping box.  The paper ones would be crushed with some bullets bent on the casings, or displaced from the paper box.  Now I only order stuff from Cabela's that I know comes in well protected factory packaging so I don't have to rely on their packing skills, or Midway's for that matter who are worse than Cabela's.  Both of these companies made good on the damaged items like giving me credit towards next purchase, Cabelas $$, or send other items to make up for it, but that still didn't make their practices right, and they would never replace ammo with ammo for some reason, so I ended up getting other stuff from them I didn't need that bad.  Shipping can be slow or "normal" depending on the time of year, the number of specials, free shipping deals, etc. that they are running, and how busy their are. As long as my stuff arrives undamaged, I am happy, but I have to be selective and order factory packaged items or heavy-duty stuff that doesn't easily damage.

Harry
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Umarex M&P45
Remington NPSS .22,  Crosman 2240
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
Yup, direct from Umarex shipping dept.  in Fort Smith, Arizona

Like you Harry I'm selective in my purchases from Cabelas.  Most of my purchases from them are when they have really good pricing deals or when I've built up Cabelas Bucks from using their credit card.  Of course I'm always cruising the "Bargain Cave"....... they have some incredible deals in there sometimes.  :)

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York

Offline UhClem

• Shooter
  • yes
Here's a (usually) useful tip, for tracking purchases. FedEx & UPS have an option to Track By Reference. For example, on FedEx's main tracking page [https://www.fedex.com/en-us/tracking.html], there is a Tab for TrkByRef. After selecting that, you enter your Reference Number, Destination Country/ZipCode, and approx. Ship Date.

This is most useful for vendors who are slow, or negligent, in sending you a tracking number. The Reference Number is (usually) your order # (which you typically know at Order Confirmation). Unfortunately, however, Cabela's does not seem to have conveyed the Order Number to Umarex's shipping dept. So it didn't work on these purchases.

Attached below are the FDX Shipment Facts from my recent 34P purchase (I ordered on Thurs, 17Jan19 4pmET). I don't know the source of the WHS131012, but it does work for TrkByRef. Interestingly, the PurchOrdNum (404383) also works; but it is NOT my Cabela's Order #.

As an aside: Cabela's is just like (almost) all the other BrickMortar businesses that try to pretend that they are competitive in the digital domain. The first indication of this is that they start sending you marketing e-mails before they've even sent you the Trk# for your first/recent purchase. That's dumb--it's like someone you've just been introduced to, asking to borrow money.
  • USA, NH
"That was the best shot I ever seen."
  --"The worst! I was aiming at the horse."

Offline AmBraCol

• Webservant
  • Expert
  • yes
    • Faith, Family, Friends and Firearms

Uh, Arkansas, isn't it? At least I've not heard of Fort Smith packing up and moving to a different time zone.  :o ;D ;)

Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.  Just wish they'd ship down here to the land between the Canal and the Equator.  Sure am tired of the local importers gouging us.
  • Risaralda, Pereira, ColOmbia
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports.  Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.   The shooting sports, however, tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
My mistake, Arkansas it is  :)

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York

Offline kerplunk

• Shooter
  • yes

Uh, Arkansas, isn't it? At least I've not heard of Fort Smith packing up and moving to a different time zone.  :o ;D ;)

Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.  Just wish they'd ship down here to the land between the Canal and the Equator.  Sure am tired of the local importers gouging us.

They must be shipping mine by covered wagon, that's only about 500 miles from my home and it supposedly shipped Tuesday.
  • Central Texas, USA
.177 rifles- Daisy 880, Gamo Whisper Silent Cat, Crosman Vantage NP, Benjamin Trail NP2, Winchester Model 1000 (Hatsan)
.22 rifles- Hatsan 125, Hatsan Vortex Edge, Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Elite
.25 rifle- Hatsan Vortex Edge
.177 pistols- Browning Buckmark URX, Gamo PT-80 Tactical, Smith & Wesson M&P (x2)

Looking for Gamo PT-80/PT-90 rotary clips! PayPal ready!

Offline RBQChicken

• Sharp Shooter
  • The first time I hit it, I missed.
Mine took 6 days to get to the U.P. of Michigan.  Not bad.  When I first placed the order I got an acknowledgement email which said they would email me when it shipped.  Never got that, but about 5 days after the order I got another email from Cabela's which turned out to be the same email as the first one.  The next day the gun was here.
  • U.P. of MI

Offline greenbastard

• Shooter
  • yes
Mine took 6 days to get to the U.P. of Michigan.  Not bad.  When I first placed the order I got an acknowledgement email which said they would email me when it shipped.  Never got that, but about 5 days after the order I got another email from Cabela's which turned out to be the same email as the first one.  The next day the gun was here.

That is exactly the experience I had getting mine! I had mine in exactly 6 days from the day I ordered it and I have to say it is probably the best deal that I have gotten on an airgun. It's shoot straight as a laser and has awesome power. It is a very nice rifle and I would have paid the normal price for it had I known it was so nice. Thank you to the o p for posting this bargain in the first place!
  • Longs, SC, USA

Offline AmBraCol

• Webservant
  • Expert
  • yes
    • Faith, Family, Friends and Firearms
Aaaaaannnnndddd..... they're gone again.  Only 22's in stock - at over twice the price.
  • Risaralda, Pereira, ColOmbia
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports.  Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.   The shooting sports, however, tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

Offline 1216bandit

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
How often do they offer this deal?
RWS 34 .22 ARH kit
RWS 34 Panther .177 with Vortek PG2
xs-25 from MIke
xs-12 from Mike
.22 Marauder
.177 Marauder Milo74 reg with goodies from Scott.
,177 Bam B21
.177 B-51
.177 Remington Express

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
I'll betcha it'll pop up again within a few weeks.

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York

Offline RBQChicken

• Sharp Shooter
The last time they ran out it popped back up in a day or two, didn't it?
  • U.P. of MI

Offline packard8

• Expert
  • yes
This is my 3rd D34. While I generally prefer wood I'm impressed with this syn stock. Seems much more solid than other brands I've handled (Hatsan, Norica, Benjamin etc).

IMO, this is the best deal going for $150......German quality for a Gamo price. The bundled scope is of better quality than you usually expect for a "freebie".
  • Tulsa OK
Dianas: 52 .177, 48 .22, 34 .22, 34 .177, 34P .177, 350 Magnum .177, 240 .177
HW95 .22
Sheridan Blue Streak .20 (1972)
Benjamins: 392, M-rod .25, P-rod, Trail NP2 "Elite Stealth" .177 Wood
Hatsans: AT44-10 .22, 135QE .30, 135's .177 & .25, 100X's .177, .22 & .25 (X2), 1000X .25, Edge .25, 200S .22
Noricas: Black Eagles .22 & .177, Spider GRS .22, Dragon GRS 22, Dragon GRS Max .22
Mendoza RM 600 .22
Webleys: Patriot .177 (X2), Tomahawks .177 & .22, VMX .20, Cub .22
Stoeger X20S .22

Offline RBQChicken

• Sharp Shooter
John, does your 34P seem louder than your wood-stocked versions (due to hollow stock vibration)?
  • U.P. of MI

Offline packard8

• Expert
  • yes
John, does your 34P seem louder than your wood-stocked versions (due to hollow stock vibration)?

Not from memory, but I'll do a side by side with my android decibel meter and report back.
  • Tulsa OK
Dianas: 52 .177, 48 .22, 34 .22, 34 .177, 34P .177, 350 Magnum .177, 240 .177
HW95 .22
Sheridan Blue Streak .20 (1972)
Benjamins: 392, M-rod .25, P-rod, Trail NP2 "Elite Stealth" .177 Wood
Hatsans: AT44-10 .22, 135QE .30, 135's .177 & .25, 100X's .177, .22 & .25 (X2), 1000X .25, Edge .25, 200S .22
Noricas: Black Eagles .22 & .177, Spider GRS .22, Dragon GRS 22, Dragon GRS Max .22
Mendoza RM 600 .22
Webleys: Patriot .177 (X2), Tomahawks .177 & .22, VMX .20, Cub .22
Stoeger X20S .22

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?