Evanix Air Speed .22 rifle

Author Topic: Evanix Air Speed .22 rifle  (Read 678 times))

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
Evanix Air Speed .22 rifle
« on: January 09, 2019, 07:59:31 PM »
Hello, last November bought an Evanix Air Speed .22 caliber rifle which after only 4 shots jammed; cannot remove the magazine. Was told by vendor to remove barrel assembly in order to remove lodged pellet (s). Well, am new to PCP rifle shooting and to tell the truth is been a frustating experience as one problem after another happens (like 5 months old Benjamin Armada ,177 rifle blowing up an air seal just the the other day), so have no idea how to go about doing so. Am looking for an exploded parts diagram or anything that could show how to dismantle and put it together again. One other question: would the rifle need to be degassed prior to disassembly? Manual specifically warns users not to let pressure to fall below 1460 lbs otherwise damage will occur, so am at a loss about what to do other than shipping rifle back to the vendor. Any and all helping comments will be greatly appreciated...
  • USA, California, Redlands
-FJM

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
Re: Evanix Air Speed .22 rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:12:11 PM »
I haven't opened mine yet but if it is anything like the RS II just decock the rifle, Next unscrew the  end cap and remove end cap and fill cover the from the air tube. Next remove the barrel band there are grub screws holding it on. Then unscrew the shroud from the breech after that there are retaining screws holding the barrel to the breech I don't think I missed anything but if you are new to AG's the camera on your phone is your friend
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
FX Crown .22 w/600 mm Barrel ordered
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe FS
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:56:35 AM »
Thank you so much for the great heads-up! Will go a long way helping me attain the intended goal...
-FJM

Offline cootertwo

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:03:49 AM »
Contact Travis, his customer support is GREAT! The Air Speed is very simple, if you've had some experience with other air rifles. I'm sure Travis will chime in here soon. ;)
  • USA Labelle FL
FX Wildcat 22 cal X2
Air Force Texan 45 cal
Hatsan Bullboss 22 cal X2
Hatsan Bullmaster 22 cal
Hatsan Bully 35 cal
Hatsan AT44S-10 22 cal
Crosman Bulldog 357 cal
Crosman M-rod 22 cal
Crosman P-rod 22 cal
Evanix Air Speed 22 cal
DonnyFl moderators on all
Magneto Speed V3 Chrono

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:31:03 PM »
Hope to hear from Travis soon. Am 72 years old and relatively new to the PCP air guns world, so am still a tyro that needs far more experience addressing issues with such guns when they arise. That is why chose to buy a fully modded Gaunlet .22 rifle from Mr. Hajimoto because I'd not have been able to incorporate all of the mods he developed for such incredibly accurate, fun to shoot rifle on my own. But even with it have encountered some issues that had to learn learn how to address on my own. Not so with the Benjamin Armada, which will have to be sent to Crossman for repairs under warranty. Am more familiar with rimfire and centerfire weapons than with air guns, but since I cannot always go to the range find it easier to shoot air guns in the comfort of my own backyard and try to keep shooting skills honed any time I get the urge, and do so much cheaper than with the other types of guns. Anyway, thank you for commenting; is greatly appreciated...
-FJM

Offline Hobbyman2007

• N.U.A.H. Expert
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:34:55 PM »
It is super easy to pull the barrel . On the top of the receiver there are two set screws , remove them completely ,under them there are two more . Loosen them . Unscrew the shroud from the receiver and pull on the barrel while slightly rotating from side to side .
  • Dowling,ontario, Canada
Too many guns to list and  not enough time to shoot them .

Offline oldpro

• JSA
  • Vendors
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 05:32:10 PM »
 SIMPLE just unscrew shroud and remove it then take the two set screws off the front of breech and pull barrel out. Easy
  • USA, CA, Mt. Shasta
FX tarantula

Evanix Speed .22
Vulcan .25
AA-S510 Ultra carbine
Marauder .25 full ART upgraded
Evanix max ML .45

Prod
Taipan Shorty

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 05:32:41 PM »
Well, appears that Evanix will sell their revised magazines at cost to anyone who bought the Air Speed pcp rifles. This is great news as the new mags will most likely eliminate jams with undersized pellets. Was told it will happen after the 2019 Shot Show...
-FJM

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »
It is super easy to pull the barrel . On the top of the receiver there are two set screws , remove them completely ,under them there are two more . Loosen them . Unscrew the shroud from the receiver and pull on the barrel while slightly rotating from side to side .

Thank you so much! All tips will help me unjam my new rifle...
-FJM

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 05:38:02 PM »
SIMPLE just unscrew shroud and remove it then take the two set screws off the front of breech and pull barrel out. Easy

Am most definitely will do what you savvy air gunners suggest.  Thank you very much for the invaluable information...
-FJM

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 05:47:07 AM »
Well, after spending a lot of time in Federal Court as a juror and been involved with family and other pressing affairs, finally got around trying to remove the barrel to clear up the pellet jams; these were the sequence which I applied to do so:

Removing shroud: Easy, although wound up with an O ring busted in half.

Removing set-screws: Easy, once I knew which to loosen and remove.

Removing barrel: Not so easy; in fact, proved to be impossible for ME to accomplish the task--the thing just wouldn't budge--until I re-read the instructions given on here:
a second pair of set screws located immediately below the other two set screws had to be loosened too!
With second pair of screws loosened was able to remove the barrel.

Removing magazine: Was very hard to do since a pellet prevented side to side movement.
                              Had to chisel the pellet apart with an small flat blade screwdriver by gently tapping it with a brass hammer. Success! Was able to remove the magazine without been damaged.

Moral of this story:  As frustating as is been dealing with one problem after another not only with this pcp rifle but the others as well, feel great satisfaction having
                            achieved the task; is been a great lesson to be learned.
                            Next hurdle will be dealing with Crossman in regards having the Benjamin Armada rifle repaired; is still under warranty... 
-FJM

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 03:31:28 AM »
Well...a new problem has risen with the Air Speed rifle...one that leads me to believe is the primary cause of jamming even with the longer 18.13 grain pellets: the magazines themselves--can no longer advance movement to load up pellets; the darn things have freezed up!

Am going to attempt taking them apart to inspect possible cause (s) of freezing problem, and hope been able to put them back together again, although been that they aren't working anyway won't make much of a difference.
Hopefully revised magazines become available now that the Shot Show is nearly over so I can purchase a few and finally get to shoot what thus far have proved to be a most frustatingly costly toy...

-fjm
-FJM

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 08:19:50 AM »
Doc is it possible that you may have damaged the magazine when you chiseled out the pellet to remove the magazine from the action?? Not doubting that there is an issue with the old style mags but a lot of the problem was being caused by the pellets hanging up on the spring that wraps around the perimeter of the mag to hold the pellets in the mag. I was able to eliminate much of the feeding issues and inconsistant accuracy simply by lubing the pellets with a few drops of Rem-oil added to the tin of pellets. This has eliminated the minor inconsistencies of POA/POI when shooting fast as possible and still retaining decent accuracy. I have also had no further feed jams since beginning to lube the pellets
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
FX Crown .22 w/600 mm Barrel ordered
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe FS
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline PaulT58

• Guns? What guns?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Ain't no wrong way to do the right thing!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 09:09:05 AM »
I had a magazine that stopped working also.  Same issue. it just would not advance.  Taking Manny's advice, I removed the side plate and reseated the rotary part of the magazine, reassembled it and it worked fine.  Search for one of Manny's early posts about the Air Speed, he explains the process. 

I found the post about fixing the magazine.  It's post #89 on page 5 of this thread:  https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=151572.80

I hope it works for you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:21:59 AM by PaulT58 »
  • Navarre, FL
AIRGUNS:
Benjamin Mrod, Prod & Synrod .22 & .25
Benjamin Trail NP2 .22
Evanix Air Speed .22
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Hatsan Torpedo 100X .25
Hatsan BullBoss .22
Hatsan AT44S-10 .177 (Short) & .22 (Long)
Nova-Vista Liberty .177
Sam Yang Sumatra 2500 .25
SPA PR900W (Varmint) .22

What's Next? FX Dreamline .25 Classic

FOR SALE:
Hatsan BullBoss .22 (50 FPE) Includes a Fill Probe, 2 magazines, DonnyFL -20 UNF adapter and degassing tool.  $350.00 Shipped

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »
Yep, it happens, put some Blue loctite in the screws when you put the mag back together.
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix Tactical Sniper     .50   200 FPE
Evanix Blizzard II             .357 140 FPE
Evanix REX Carbine           .357 150 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine     .357  90  FPE
Evanix Model 70                   .30    85 FPE
Evanix Storm II Mini-Carbine .30    70 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II             .25    80 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II            .25    70 FPE
Evanix Air Speed                .22    20 FPE

Offline PaulT58

• Guns? What guns?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
I received my replacement .22 Air Speed today.  I aired it up and shot 50 pellets through it.  One of the magazines was acting up, so I took it apart, reseated the cylinder, tightened the center screw, then reassembled it.  I did put a small drop of blue Lock-Tite on each of the screws.  It's getting dark so I filled the tank to 250 bar and will leave it overnight.  I'll clean the barrel this weekend and put another 50 pellets through it before I do any serious accuracy testing.  I'm hoping this one is up to the standards others have been reporting!
  • Navarre, FL
AIRGUNS:
Benjamin Trail NP2 .22
Evanix Air Speed .22
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Hatsan Torpedo 100X .25
Hatsan BullBoss .22
Nova-Vista Liberty .177
SPA PR900W (Varmint) .22

FOR SALE:
Hatsan BullBoss .22 (50 FPE) Includes a Fill Probe, 2 magazines, DonnyFL -20 UNF adapter and degassing tool.  $350.00 Shipped

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
I received my replacement .22 Air Speed today.  I aired it up and shot 50 pellets through it.  One of the magazines was acting up, so I took it apart, reseated the cylinder, tightened the center screw, then reassembled it.  I did put a small drop of blue Lock-Tite on each of the screws.  It's getting dark so I filled the tank to 250 bar and will leave it overnight.  I'll clean the barrel this weekend and put another 50 pellets through it before I do any serious accuracy testing.  I'm hoping this one is up to the standards others have been reporting!

So you had to send your 1st Speed back ? what was wrong with it ?
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix Tactical Sniper     .50   200 FPE
Evanix Blizzard II             .357 140 FPE
Evanix REX Carbine           .357 150 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine     .357  90  FPE
Evanix Model 70                   .30    85 FPE
Evanix Storm II Mini-Carbine .30    70 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II             .25    80 FPE
Evanix RainStorm II            .25    70 FPE
Evanix Air Speed                .22    20 FPE

Offline PaulT58

• Guns? What guns?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »

So you had to send your 1st Speed back ? what was wrong with it ?

Manny, it just wouldn't group worth a darn.  It would do 2 shot in a dime size group, then the next 2 shots would be dime sized, but about 2" off from the first 2, then the next 2-3 would be all over the place.  Sometimes you just get a lemon, it happens with everything.  JSAR took care of me and sent me another.

I have not had a chance to shoot the new one for accuracy, but the groups I had before I cleaned the barrel were better than the last one.  I gave the barrel a good cleaning this morning, but have been tied up building furniture all day.  I just got home and my feet and back are killing me, hopefully tomorrow I'll have some play time!

I did have a broken o-ring on the air stripper when I removed the shroud to clean it.  Do you know the correct o-ring size for that?  It was seated pretty well in the groove, so I left the broken one in place when I put it back together.  It's probably not sealing as much as centering, so I hope it will be fine until I can replace it...
  • Navarre, FL
AIRGUNS:
Benjamin Trail NP2 .22
Evanix Air Speed .22
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Hatsan Torpedo 100X .25
Hatsan BullBoss .22
Nova-Vista Liberty .177
SPA PR900W (Varmint) .22

FOR SALE:

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »
Doc is it possible that you may have damaged the magazine when you chiseled out the pellet to remove the magazine from the action?? Not doubting that there is an issue with the old style mags but a lot of the problem was being caused by the pellets hanging up on the spring that wraps around the perimeter of the mag to hold the pellets in the mag. I was able to eliminate much of the feeding issues and inconsistant accuracy simply by lubing the pellets with a few drops of Rem-oil added to the tin of pellets. This has eliminated the minor inconsistencies of POA/POI when shooting fast as possible and still retaining decent accuracy. I have also had no further feed jams since beginning to lube the pellets

No, don't believe I damaged the mag as encountered same problem with the other, unused magazine. Am sending them back to JSAR for replacements.
Actually am waiting for the revised mags to be released for sale to the public. Hope they work reliably, avoiding both jamming and magazine failure problems...

-FJM
-FJM

Offline doctorfronk

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 09:29:09 PM »
I did have a broken o-ring on the air stripper when I removed the shroud to clean it.  Do you know the correct o-ring size for that?  It was seated pretty well in the groove, so I left the broken one in place when I put it back together.  It's probably not sealing as much as centering, so I hope it will be fine until I can replace it...
[/quote]

I encountered the same situation when removing the shroud to remove barrel from my Air Speed; a broken O ring.

Since I did not know the size of the O ring wound up ordering a 270-pieces of O rings from eBay (a cheap kit; were only a few dollars and free shipping to boot); when they arrived (couple of days later) found the right size. Now have a few spares, which will come handy since seems that the O rings get broken when the shroud is removed for any reason...

-FJM
-FJM

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: