Added to the stable : .357 Slayer

Author Topic: Added to the stable : .357 Slayer  (Read 2618 times))

Offline Kinetic45^

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: Added to the stable : .357 Slayer
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
My Dad used to cast and he started me when I had to stand on a stool at the stove where we heated lead in an old pot.
But nowadays you can't go wrong with something like this to start!  Pot, dipper and use the lube for flux (in a well ventilated area)

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyman-Big-Dipper-Casting-Starter-Kit/706429.uts?productVariantId=1382585&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02950669&rid=20&ds_rl=1246555&ds_rl=1246558&ds_rl=1252245&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-8n7hqaezoM9c75OzpMNhK2VnifK2GxXck8C_cFez3aiWz73tnFaIRoC2iYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The mold should cost you +- $100

Better sizer: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=564_104
Cheap azz sizer: https://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.358.html

THEN GO SHOOT A LOT! ! !   ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:09:10 PM by Kinetic45^ »
  • USA, Texas coast, Mosquitoville
The worst hit in history is still better than the best miss in history.
Red pill MGTOW,  I spend it MY way, no permissions needed

Offline triggertreat

• 2017 GTA Fun Shoot Winner (PCP class)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ⊙ Aim high and shoot far ☆
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2019, 12:57:35 AM »
 8)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:41:33 AM by triggertreat »
  • TN
Great are you Lord.  It's your breath in our lungs, so I'll follow and praise you only.

22 Marauder Unregulated. Tuned using JSB 18.13gr:
30 Shots @ 31.02 FPE Avg., 1.36% ES, 1.58 FPE/CI
JSAR MDS Hammer, TSS and LW Air Tube mods.  MMHF barrel
UTG compact SWAT 4-16x44 IR SFP
25 Marauder Regulated. Tuned using JSB MKIIs:
24 Shots @ 55.94 FPE Avg., 1.96% ES, 1.49 FPE/CI
JSAR SS Valve, MDS Hammer, TSS and LW Air Tube mods.
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 IR FFP
357 Slayer Unregulated. Tuned using NSA 142gr:
4 shots @ 275.60 FPE Avg., 2.33% ES, 1.23 FPE/CI
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56 FFP
DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Air Venturi 4500 psi compressor
Stickman fill assembly
60 min & 30 min 4500 psi CF tanks

Click here to download a Free Spreadsheet App (New Rev 05 ver. 11-16-18)

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2019, 05:34:33 PM »
I was playing with the Slayer tuning today.  Looks like I am getting a better bell curve now.  I was using some lighter 120gr cast that I have more of, lol.  I have to save the good/proven ones until I get to casting my own.  The Slayer is easy from here to increase the power for heavier slugs by just adjusting the valve dwell a quarter turn or so.
  • TN
Great are you Lord.  It's your breath in our lungs, so I'll follow and praise you only.

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline Kinetic45^

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »
So today is my 1 month anniversary since ordering my Slayer... time drags! 

On another note, this afternoon I went out to cast some more for a couple other guys who also want to test some various slugs I have molds for and my pot ran away on the temp.  The controller would not work and after I unplugged it and it cooled down I openned it up and it was fried.

All the magic smoke came out so it will not work!*

I don't remember exactly how old it is but 18 or 19 years... I'd guess maybe 1300+ pounds of lead bullets cast and I know I've underestimated so I got my money's worth!!!

I already checked and no local stores have on so I'll have to order one.  I'm going to go with the Lyman Mag25 this time.

* Everybody knows they put magic smoke in anything electrical/electronic when they make it and that what makes it work, right?
I know because any time I've seen the magic smoke come out of wires or circut boards, etc it stopped working so it's just common sense. You've seen that too, right? If the smoke comes out of the wire insulation?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:07:27 PM by Kinetic45^ »

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2019, 08:06:23 PM »
Well that's a downer.  I have been looking hard at the Lyman Mag25 myself.
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline Kinetic45^

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »
OK, it's ordered from Optics Planet for $259 but I was not going to wait 10 days for free shipping so I did the 3 day shipping for $49 more so I can fulfill my promise to get some bullets out to other testers.

Amazing that the fifth largest city in the USA I called and went online to a bunch of local sporting goods and gun shops and no one had one.  Cabela's and Bass Pro have multiple locations here in region and I would have driven the 65 or 75 miles one way to get one, say they have them online, but when I called and actually had them check availability they are actually out of stock.  Carter's Country is a MAJOR local gun and supply store but they have stopped carrying casting equipment.  I checked/called over 20 places and everyone said "We can get it for you but we don't keep that sort of thing in the store anymore because of the Internet" or a version of that and when I asked on delivery times they were quoting 10 to 14 days, no way!

What's really sad is that I got this months Rotometals order today of 60lbs of 1:40 and it's sitting there so disappointed it's not being melted, haha   :'(

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2019, 10:59:59 PM »
So today is my 1 month anniversary since ordering my Slayer... time drags! 

On another note, this afternoon I went out to cast some more for a couple other guys who also want to test some various slugs I have molds for and my pot ran away on the temp.  The controller would not work and after I unplugged it and it cooled down I openned it up and it was fried.

All the magic smoke came out so it will not work!*

I don't remember exactly how old it is but 18 or 19 years... I'd guess maybe 1300+ pounds of lead bullets cast and I know I've underestimated so I got my money's worth!!!

I already checked and no local stores have on so I'll have to order one.  I'm going to go with the Lyman Mag25 this time.

* Everybody knows they put magic smoke in anything electrical/electronic when they make it and that what makes it work, right?
I know because any time I've seen the magic smoke come out of wires or circut boards, etc it stopped working so it's just common sense. You've seen that too, right? If the smoke comes out of the wire insulation?

Now that's just funny right there. I Don't care who ya are! LOL!!!   ;D ;)

At least the corn meal on the anvil still works in my shop! 8)
  • Central Texas

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2019, 02:52:21 AM »

I'll be curious to see how you like the Lyman.  RCBS has their new one out too for the same price, the Pro Melt 2.  You can't even find their Pro Melt anywhere anymore.

I did clean my barrel with the Shooter's Choice MC-7 and a brass brush.  Other than the lead dust I normally get coming off a day at the range, I didn't get anymore out that I could tell.  I soaked it and scrubbed it really good, but the tight fitting cotton wicks came out completely clean.  That accuracy lube seems to be working?
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »
I would like to try their bore oil, just to many expenses this month setting up and buying the F-10 ShoeBox.

I'm using a bore cleaner and prep for hoppies right now. works. How they would compare I don't' know. I trust Tom's findings however! Seems an upgrade or advancement on the FP-10 technology if everything they say is true. 

First test of the new F-10 run was tonight. It worked very well. Man is it quieter than the first Generation! Not t mention a whole lot faster! 8)
  • Central Texas

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »
I would like to try their bore oil, just to many expenses this month setting up and buying the F-10 ShoeBox.

I'm using a bore cleaner and prep for hoppies right now. works. How they would compare I don't' know. I trust Tom's findings however! Seems an upgrade or advancement on the FP-10 technology if everything they say is true. 

First test of the new F-10 run was tonight. It worked very well. Man is it quieter than the first Generation! Not t mention a whole lot faster! 8)

The Accuracy Oil reminds me of Wesson oil with its smell and thickness.  It does feel much slicker on the fingers than the FP-10 when handling lubed bullets.  I have lightly lubed some mechanics in my Slayer like the lever action and the retractable bolt mechanism and it certainly made a noticeable difference.
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline Kinetic45^

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2019, 01:06:50 AM »
Today is the second months anniversary since I ordered my Slayer (Jan 6th) and I just feel/know it will be here in a couple of weeks...

So after thinking hard about it since Tom mentioned AAA does barrel lapping as an option, I have contacted them and added that to my rifle today.  I was told it would not delay the scheduled delivery date (and that everything was on schedule, they are not behind)
Hey, on a $2160 rifle, what's an extra $300?   ::)
{I am soooo glad I am single! MGTOW}

Ordered a new scope from Trenier too after a good phone conversation with him : https://www.trenieroutdoors.com/optics-2/sightron/sightron-stac-3-16x42-moa/
And FX No-Limit Height Adjustable 30mm Picatinny rings (and a set of the same rings but for 1" and 11mm for my 457 Texan).  This will be my fourth and fifth set of  these rings, they really do well on my air rifles!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:13:34 PM by Kinetic45^ »

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2019, 01:16:36 AM »
Cool!  It will be great to have more active Slayer shooters testing slugs.  Once this weather clears here, I'll be more active for sure.  Gonna try to make it out to the range this weekend, but rain is in the forecast again, and now family is coming in.  I am dying to try my new cast slugs out, plus the Hornaday's and NSA's again with my current tune.  I have a whole list of scenarios to run through, and it will take a few trips.  The PID is almost here as well, so more testing after that...
  • TN

DonnyFL Emperor LDC

Stickman fill assembly

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2019, 04:33:26 AM »
speaking of the magic smoke, my switch controlling everything on my Mill let out a bunch of it. GRRRRR!!!

I was right in the middle of working a bbl. for one of our members. Double GRRRRR!!! >:(
  • Central Texas

Offline AirgunNH

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
Today is the second months anniversary since I ordered my Slayer (Jan 6th) and I just feel/know it will be here in a couple of weeks...

So after thinking hard about it since Tom mentioned AAA does barrel lapping as an option, I have contacted them and added that to my rifle today.  I was told it would not delay the scheduled delivery date (and that everything was on schedule, they are not behind)
Hey, on a $2160 rifle, what's an extra $300?   ::)
{I am soooo glad I am single! MGTOW}

Ordered a new scope from Trenier too after a good phone conversation with him.

Question for you: Any evidence that barrel lapping improves the accuracy of the Slayer? Also, I thought the Slayer had 50 moa machined into the rail, so I was thinking I didnít need the FX no limits rings.
(Iím waiting patiently for my Slayer too!) Another question about the Sightron: Iíve got an SIII target scope 10-50x60 mm with parallax that adjusts down to 10 yards which is very bright,  but I hesitated to buy  the lower magnification models because the parallax only adjusted down to 50 yards. Does the 3-16x42 have parallax that  adjusts closer than 50 yards?
  • Plymouth, NH, USA

Offline Kinetic45^

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2019, 07:30:37 PM »
Question for you: Any evidence that barrel lapping improves the accuracy of the Slayer? Also, I thought the Slayer had 50 moa machined into the rail, so I was thinking I didnít need the FX no limits rings.
(Iím waiting patiently for my Slayer too!) Another question about the Sightron: Iíve got an SIII target scope 10-50x60 mm with parallax that adjusts down to 10 yards which is very bright,  but I hesitated to buy  the lower magnification models because the parallax only adjusted down to 50 yards. Does the 3-16x42 have parallax that  adjusts closer than 50 yards?
Yes, lapping absolutely can help with the accuracy in air rifle and center-fire rifles.  When you are building one of the match rifles and go to any of the big name barrel producers the 'select' barrels are all lapped, which is why you pay so much more for them.
And Tom at AmericanAirArms has tested and approves it, PROFESSIONALLY DONE but not 'fire lapping' as that would be warranty voiding.

On the scope, I should have made clear I bough one but it is for a different air rifle, just did both things on one day and reporting that because Trenier is so good to buy from for air rifle stuff.  I have this one waiting for the Slayer https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scope-argos-6-24x50/
and yes, I'm still going to put adjustable rings on the Slayer because I optically center my scopes then adjust the rings to set the close zero. I already have a set of Infinity FAE-S50 rings {https://eaglevisioncam.com/product/infinity-elevation-ajustable-scope-mount-fae-s50-30mm-ring-picatinny/} on that scope and will keep them as they are actually better than the very good FX No-Limit's (Yes, to get them I ordered them from overseas and paid shipping).
That way I start from perfectly zeroed/centered optics and have full travel on clicks in every direction.
I also use the excellent DigitalCrosshairs 1000 day/night camera system with this scope to hunt with since I lost some of the vision in my right eye last year (damaged optic nerve / mini-stroke) https://www.digitalcrosshairs.net/

On the Sightron "Parallax Range: 9yds to Infinity"
See the link in the earlier post then > 'Specifications' tab
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:01:33 PM by Kinetic45^ »

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2019, 09:34:11 PM »
Those mounts are nice! How much was shipping?

Mike
  • Central Texas

Offline Kinetic45^

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
Honestly Mike, I bought them two years ago and I don't remember exactly.  Something like around $12 through the Royal Mail and it only took 5 days total : Great Briton to New York by air then they hand it off to USPS to here.
They are rock solid.
Two clamp bolts instead of just the one on the No-Limit rings
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:44:21 PM by Kinetic45^ »

Offline KnifeMaker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2019, 05:15:01 AM »
I sure like the looks fo them 8) !
  • Central Texas

Offline gnaymola

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2019, 01:55:42 AM »
Carl,
Are you saying, an additional $300 for lapping the bore of your new Slayer???
Thanks, Gary

• USA, CA, Desert Hot Springs

Offline Kinetic45^

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2019, 03:44:10 AM »
Yes, it's an additional service but not necessarily advertised.
Tom mentioned it here once as something they do to order and done right it helps accuracy so I am going for it. Having watched the hand process of lapping a barrel before, it takes hours and 'feel' and so I don't think the price is out of line.
Tom said he buys twenty barrels at a time and always has a few lapped.  (I think if he made it an option on the order form so more people knew it was available he would have to do it to more barrels!)

I'm not first on the shipping list (first paid, first shipped and I'm a ways down the list) but there should be some happy people soon I think  :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:46:40 AM by Kinetic45^ »

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.

Sponsored Ad: