Daisy 880 As An Insect Removal Tool ?

Author Topic: Daisy 880 As An Insect Removal Tool ?  (Read 1049 times))

Offline bantam5s

• Never call your shots, that way you will always hit where say you were aiming.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: Daisy 880 As An Insect Removal Tool ?
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2019, 12:37:29 AM »
I kill jumbo cockroaches with a Daisy 105, but never tried it with a pumper.
I do it at night in the summer and like the quietest gun possible.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
If you call your shots some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke.

Offline wll2506

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2019, 12:46:19 AM »

That sounds like fun ;-  )

wll
  • Lancaster, Ca.

Offline bantam5s

• Never call your shots, that way you will always hit where say you were aiming.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »

wll
They come in from the fields and I gotta keep them from entering the house.
Chemicals could do it, but this is more fun and is effective enough.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
If you call your shots some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke.

Offline wll2506

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »

wll
They come in from the fields and I gotta keep them from entering the house.
Chemicals could do it, but this is more fun and is effective enough.

I didn't shoot roaches, but I used to shoot caterpillars off trees when I was a kid with my 105  ;-  )

wll
  • Lancaster, Ca.

Offline wll2506

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »
Good deal. Now, is this with the "short" finishing nail probe or has any of that been changed?

I used a 3/32 rivet and have a probe length of about .285. It shuts off the BB port but it actually makes loading easier as the thin probe is used as a guide. Loading lead balls is very, very fast also.

Will chronicle lead balls and report back after I do testing at work tomorrow.

I will decide on what velocity I will use for the lead ball based on a ~ 15 yard range.

We will see tomorrow !

wll
My mistake- I forgot you said you already lengthened the probe by 0.085".

Well I played with the 880's today and had to remove the shim under the valve poppet on both as I was getting about 10 fps lower fps than yesterday, as it stands now both guns are getting as follows ( within a few fps as I rounded off to make things easy as I made notes on stocks for field use):

Blacky:
11 Pumps ~595 fps 10.5 gr CPH
8 Pumps ~585 fps 8.2 gr .177 cal Lead Balls

Brownie:
10 Pumps ~ 596 fps 10.5 gr CHP
7 Pumps ~ 583 fps 8.2 gr 177 cal Lead Balls

Blacky has an older style cast piston head and there is a ~ two paper think ring on the face ... that may be the reason I'm not getting the speed of the Brown 880 ?

What I do need is a Code # for the hammer spring replacement. I just don't want to stretch it out, I want a bit more powerful one .... maybe another smaller powerful spring on the inside of the stock spring, I don't know. McMaster-Carr has this part # 9657K288, but its a little big, but it may work ... just wondering if it is too strong ?

Here is a picture of my problem child acting as if she is "Cool Beans"

wll
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:56:14 PM by wll2506 »
  • Lancaster, Ca.

Offline cobalt327

• Expert
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2019, 04:00:38 PM »
Well, it's a looker!

Have you been to Ace? You might luck out for a stronger hammer spring, Most have a display board showing their spring selection w/the corresponding bin number.
  • GA, USA

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2019, 08:03:19 PM »
I was just gonna suggest Ace Hardware.

FYI - Ace hardware stores are franchises and they don't carry the same brand springs from one store to another. You may have to start out at one store and if you don't find what you need, note the brand of spring hardware that that store carries. Then call some others to see if they carry a different brand. I have to shop at two different Aces myself to find what I need, sometimes for the same gun (but the springs are used in different locations on the gun).

The same thing goes for those little specialty hardware bits and pieces bins.

Like Mark said some Aces have springs in organized bins with the number on them that corresponds to a chart or booklet, but some others just have them in carded baggies hanging on hooks.

D.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:06:09 PM by Stinger177 »
  • Denver, Colorado, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
You can view my gun list Here

Offline cobalt327

• Expert
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2019, 10:51:37 PM »
That's good to know. I'm lucky to have a really good Ace in my little town, been owned forever by the same family. The people that work there actually do help most times when you ask them something- imagine that! They even have taps to go with the odd thread count firearm fasteners.

Wll, if you measure the spring OD, free length, wire diameter and coil count you can use an online spring calculator to plug the numbers into to get the spring rate. General rules of thumb for springs: a smaller OD, less coils and larger wire diameter all (individually or collectively) gives a stronger rate/ stiffer spring.
  • GA, USA

Offline wll2506

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2019, 11:20:01 PM »
That's good to know. I'm lucky to have a really good Ace in my little town, been owned forever by the same family. The people that work there actually do help most times when you ask them something- imagine that! They even have taps to go with the odd thread count firearm fasteners.

Wll, if you measure the spring OD, free length, wire diameter and coil count you can use an online spring calculator to plug the numbers into to get the spring rate. General rules of thumb for springs: a smaller OD, less coils and larger wire diameter all (individually or collectively) gives a stronger rate/ stiffer spring.

I will check that out tomorrow and see what I can find out :-)

well
  • Lancaster, Ca.

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.