Daisy 880 As An Insect Removal Tool ?

Author Topic: Daisy 880 As An Insect Removal Tool ?  (Read 1017 times))

Offline wll2506

• Expert
  • yes
Daisy 880 As An Insect Removal Tool ?
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:53:13 AM »
How many of you use you Daisy 880 as a insect pest eliminator ?

Being that the Daisy can be pretty darn accurate and at short distances (~10yds with around 4-5 pumps) it would seem to me as a perfect gun for wasps, hornets, grasshoppers, cicadas and the like. I have not come across any such vermin yet in my area but those of you around water or in a wooded area I would imagine would have lots to shoot at that can keep you entertained for many hours. I'm going to start scouting around for older structures in the desert area that may have critters like this lurking around.

I think the Daisy would be a great gun for this, unlike a low powered barrel cocker, there is no main spring to lose its poop when cocked for a long time waiting for Mr. Wasp to land ;- ) The fact that if your intended targets range is shorter than 10 yds, three pumps may be all you will need, at short distances, a light, cheap, accurate pellet is the preferred ammo - no need for 10.5gn heavies here, a cheap 7gr lead will go out fast and shooting flat with just a few pumps ... perfect. A Crosman Wadcutter at 450fps still has about 2 fpe at 25 yards ... a CPHP at the same velocity has over 2 fpe at 45 yds!, more than enough for the critters I mentioned ;-  ) If your gun shoots real cheap stuff accurately (as in some of the Daisy ammo or some of the Beeman) you are in pig heaven .. it is time to stock up on ammo and go on an insect safari !

There are a few insects I would try to leave alone like bees and dragon flies as they are beneficial, but I can imagine every once in a while one lands in the cross hairs !

What do you 880 guys think ?

wll

• Lancaster, Ca.

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Daisy 880 As An Insect Removal Tool ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »
Interesting...maybe once they thaw out ;)... but I would be more inclined to use bb guns for the last two (wouldn't want to use either one to tick off a stinger). Now if you mentioned lizards...
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
2-Prewar '42 312's, '68-'74 312, '69 347, '82-'86 342 (checkered), '86-'91 342 (non checkered), 2-'91 S392P's, '93 S397P, '93 397P, '95 S397P, '96 392PA (w/"P" trigger group), & a '53 137 pistol.
Dan's;
Several Vintage Silver & Blue Streaks, & H9 & H9A.
Daisy's;
Most notable- 2-Model 21's, 882 w/factory Williams, several Yellow & Golden Boys, several Model 1894's, others too many to list.
Crosman;
'49 101
Favorite everyday backyard plinker '71 880. Easy to pump & the sweetest modified trigger.

Offline the fuse

• Sharp Shooter
  • Easily entertained
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
I do like to go bug hunting once the ground thaws up here. My go to bug busters are a D 722 pistol and a D 74 BB rifle. That last one shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger. You can "walk" the BB's to a flying carpenter bee.  I never thought of using an 880 for bug hunting. I do have an 822. Should be at least as accurate. I'll give it a try......in about 4 months.  :-\
"When you're young, you're very reckless. Then you get conservative. Then you get reckless again." Yup
Rifles
Crosman 180
Daisy 822
Mrodair .22 Plinkster
Daisy 74
Crosman AIR-17

Pistols
Smith & wesson 78G
Crosman 38T, Mark I, SA6
Daisy 722, 717, 1200, 118
Beeman P17

Offline wll2506

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 04:19:47 PM »
Interesting...maybe once they thaw out ;)... but I would be more inclined to use bb guns for the last two (wouldn't want to use either one to tick off a stinger). Now if you mentioned lizards...

As an herpetologist at one time, all reptiles and amphibians are off limits for me ... I consider them friends ;-  )  they eat a lot of harmful stuff and IMHO are pretty cool. I had a collection of rattlesnakes too, but gave them to the zoo as it was just to dangerous to have them around.

wll
  • Lancaster, Ca.

Offline wll2506

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »
Yes, I realize that I posted this at the wrong time of year ... it should be about 4 months from now ; -)

wll
  • Lancaster, Ca.

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »

As an herpetologist at one time, all reptiles and amphibians are off limits for me ... I consider them friends ;-  )  they eat a lot of harmful stuff and IMHO are pretty cool. I had a collection of rattlesnakes too, but gave them to the zoo as it was just to dangerous to have them around.

wll
Head shots on a couple inch reptile w/a head bout the size of a pellet is pretty cool also. ;)
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
2-Prewar '42 312's, '68-'74 312, '69 347, '82-'86 342 (checkered), '86-'91 342 (non checkered), 2-'91 S392P's, '93 S397P, '93 397P, '95 S397P, '96 392PA (w/"P" trigger group), & a '53 137 pistol.
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Most notable- 2-Model 21's, 882 w/factory Williams, several Yellow & Golden Boys, several Model 1894's, others too many to list.
Crosman;
'49 101
Favorite everyday backyard plinker '71 880. Easy to pump & the sweetest modified trigger.

Online Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 06:00:12 PM »
Head shots on a couple inch reptile w/a head bout the size of a pellet is pretty cool also.

The one and only time I was ever in Roswell NM, the roads and parking lots were covered with Horned Toads.

Talk about a target rich environment!
  • Denver, Colorado, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
You can view my gun list Here

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »
Head shots on a couple inch reptile w/a head bout the size of a pellet is pretty cool also.

The one and only time I was ever in Roswell NM, the roads and parking lots were covered with Horned Toads.

Talk about a target rich environment!
That's pretty funny Dennis & doesn't surprise me in the least. I will take an occasional run of the mill lizard with the 880, although HT would be hard for even me to shoot at. Those little guys are pretty cool.
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Crosman;
'49 101

Online Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »
Those little guys are pretty cool.

When I was in grade school in the '60's here in Denver we used to find them in an open lot across the street from the school. Those along with some little lizards about 4-5 inches long. Have to say that I haven't seen a single one of either in over 40 yrs. though.

We'd bring them into the classroom and put them in our desks. Teachers freaked out about it.

We used to think that the yellow belly HT's were poisonous. To this day I still don't know if that's true (and at MY AGE!!).  ::)

Offline Paulus

• Sharp Shooter
  • pop goes the rattus rattus
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »
Though I have not tried any bugs but slugs with the 880. I did get headshot on a jumping spider at 8 yards with my 1322 at two pumps using Meisterkugeln. I would assume the 880 would be a easy bug killer, it sure pops slugs easy.

• The dry side of Washington State.
A very pleasantly surprised member of the Daisy 880 club. Between my typing and auto correct I cant communicate.

If you havent tried RWS pellets in a while give them a try.

Online Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 06:39:17 PM »
headshot on a jumping spider

LOL, Now that's what I call accuracy!  I LOVE IT!!

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 06:43:49 PM »

When I was in grade school in the '60's here in Denver we used to find them in an open lot across the street from the school. Those along with some little lizards about 4-5 inches long. Have to say that I haven't seen a single one of either in over 40 yrs. though.

We'd bring them into the classroom and put them in our desks. Teachers freaked out about it.

We used to think that the yellow belly HT's were poisonous. To this day I still don't know if that's true (and at MY AGE!!).  ::)
You are correct. The YBHT secrets a toxin on its body to ward off predators. I've never seen one here in NM. Those I might take a wack at. ;D
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Crosman;
'49 101

Online Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 06:46:37 PM »

You are correct. The YBHT secrets a toxin on its body to ward off predators. I've never seen one here in NM. Those I might take a wack at. ;D

Well now, it seems I learned something in grade school after all!

Thanks!

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
Though I have not tried any bugs but slugs with the 880. I did get headshot on a jumping spider at 8 yards with my 1322 at two pumps using Meisterkugeln. I would assume the 880 would be a easy bug killer, it sure pops slugs easy.
That little critter should be preserved. That was one heel of a shot! I take it you avatar was taken shortly there after. ;)

Shoot the 880 can easily take down a rabbit with a head shot. My youngest son took a Jack Rabbit at 35-40 yards with one. He kept telling us it was skill... ???
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
Dan's;
Daisy's;
Crosman;
'49 101

Online Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 06:56:53 PM »
I take it you avatar was taken shortly there after. ;)

ROTFL!!!

I love this place!!!

Offline the fuse

• Sharp Shooter
  • Easily entertained
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »

wll

I try not to kill anything that's helpful or just plain cool. No butterflies, honey bees, dragon flies, bats, snakes, toads, frogs, salamanders and etc. That leaves plenty of actual pests. Got two starlings off our bird feeder today.  8)
"When you're young, you're very reckless. Then you get conservative. Then you get reckless again." Yup
Rifles
Crosman 180
Daisy 822
Mrodair .22 Plinkster
Daisy 74
Crosman AIR-17

Pistols
Smith & wesson 78G
Crosman 38T, Mark I, SA6
Daisy 722, 717, 1200, 118
Beeman P17

Offline Paulus

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
That little critter should be preserved. That was one heel of a shot! I take it you avatar was taken shortly there after. ;)

Shoot the 880 can easily take down a rabbit with a head shot. My youngest son took a Jack Rabbit at 35-40 yards with one. He kept telling us it was skill... ???

Yes that is exactly the face I made when that spider dropped. I thought at the most I could hope for is it would turn her into a spot on the wall. I was totally shocked to see the head missing LOL   
A very pleasantly surprised member of the Daisy 880 club. Between my typing and auto correct I cant communicate.

Offline 35 shooter

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
Ahhh, another good reason for me to go ahead and get that “bug buster” scope i’ve been thinking about for one of my 880’s.
 Should focus right in on those close range carpenter bees! :D
  • USA, MS, Collins

Offline Paulus

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:25 PM »
Ahhh, another good reason for me to go ahead and get that “bug buster” scope i’ve been thinking about for one of my 880’s.

Bug buster is nice on the 880, but cost more then the gun LOL But you can bust some bugs

Online Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 10:21:36 PM »

And remember two important words.

HEAD SHOT

(Sorry Paulus, I couldn't resist)

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?