Got Gauntlet .25 - don't have pellets or pump

Author Topic: Got Gauntlet .25 - don't have pellets or pump  (Read 991 times))

Offline Ironman482

• Plinker
  • yes
Re: Got Gauntlet .25 - don't have pellets or pump
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:00 PM »
My gauntlet's reg was set at 1900 out of the box ,I bumped it up to 2050 with one shim 0.0100 thick, I  need a different gage on on reg checker to vet a more accurate  reading ,stock reg shot 25.6 jsb at 860fps after shimming ave was 933 gonna leave it there for now, air stirpper was cracked replaced with Haji and hill baffles works great
Ironman-I picked this gauge up from Amazon for reg. tester easy to read:/www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJ95S3A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thanks ,I ordered one a couple of days ago with 1-1/2 dail 3000 psi max that should help get more accurate reading
  • Buchcanan Dam

Offline Ironman482

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 09:43:05 PM »
How are y'all checking the barrel to valve port alignment,  just looking through the breech or bore scope?or mirror and flashlite ?
  • Buchcanan Dam

Offline mackeral5

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
How are y'all checking the barrel to valve port alignment,  just looking through the breech or bore scope?or mirror and flashlite ?

You have to pull the breech/barrel assembly and view it from the bottom, through the transfer port.

The Gauntlet has a very robust, reusable transfer port that makes realignment/reassembly a breeze.  With proper care there should be no problems disassembling/reassembling. 
  • Smiths Station AL

Offline Ironman482

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
Thanks mike , I've got a bigger bottle ordered when it arrives I'll remove the breech and check the alignment ,the bottles coming  on the slow boat from china so it might be awhile
  • Buchcanan Dam

Offline Ironman482

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 12:11:51 PM »
Has anyone checked the valve retainer for hammer slap , if it needs turning down to shorten the lenght now would be a good time for that project too, I  did it on my 22 and picked up about 15 fps and eliminated the hammer hitting the retainer  I  took .310 off the 22 gauntlet retainer per Travis W. Recommendation and it seemed to help as he mentioned
  • Buchcanan Dam

Offline mackeral5

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
Thanks mike , I've got a bigger bottle ordered when it arrives I'll remove the breech and check the alignment ,the bottles coming  on the slow boat from china so it might be awhile

You're welcome. 

Regarding hammer hitting the valve retainer---on my .25 there was a tiny amount of valve stem protrusion, to the point where I'm sure it was effecting valve lift.  I corrected this when I made my new peek valve/stem....  So yes, I would recommend taking some form of corrective action. 
  • Smiths Station AL

Offline Ironman482

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »
Good to know mike ,think I  will turn about. 25 off and try that, will post results
  • Buchcanan Dam

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
I just got done with running some pellets thru my CED2 chrony. It is sunny, 20 degrees F and calm winds. I mounted an old USA-made Redfield Tracker 3-9 x 44 (formerly on my 03-A3 Sporter), and used my rickety portable bench (no bags). Although I'm always interested in accuracy, this setup wasn't even close to ideal for that. However, the groups at 25 yards were no more than 1/2". Later today I will put on a 6-24x scope, go down to my range and use my big bench and bags to shoot groups for accuracy.

The results for 5-shot strings were shot in this order from a 2900 psi fill, are as follows:
H&N Baracuda .25 Cal, 30.86 Gr                                Low: 749.5 fps               High: 758.9 fps
JSB Match Diabolo Exact King, 25.39 Gr                     Low: 814.7 fps               High: 825.1 fps
Predator Polymag, 26 Gr                                           Low: 814.3 fps               High: 818.2 fps

Comments and observations please.

I shot 3 more groups and the 14th shot it fell off the regulator at about 1600 psi. Does that indicate the current pressure setting of the regulator?

It not worthy that I could not test the regulator setting because my slide check blew out. I thought the Ninja slide checks could take 3000 psi! Perhaps I got a knock-off? Do the Ninja slide checks have an "N" on them as I've seen in pictures? Mine does not. I already ordered a package of replacement seals, but I'll return that cheapie if it is a knock-off.

Thanks!

• Fort Ann, NY
"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable" - Frank Zappa

Offline mackeral5

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
Those velocities are slightly low, not bad, just a little lower than expected.  Based on what you are seeing yet, it is likely your reg is set at 1600-1700psi.

Did you check the barrel port alignment? 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:46:16 PM by mackeral5 »
  • Smiths Station AL

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 03:13:57 PM »
No, I did not check the breech port. I just removed the barrel to clean it. I want to make sure it is accurate enough before I tear into it.

I don't have any rings tall enough to mount the 6-24x due to interference with the barrel band, so I'm going to bench it with the 3-9 in a few hours. The farrier is coming to trim the horses' hooves in a few minutes.
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
At 50 yards with a 5mph crosswind, it shot 1" at 50 yards with the Poly Mags. 1.25" with the Diablos. I expected better, but I was also shooting at 9x at a big dot. I ran out of elevation adjustment with the scope, and could not even get it up to the paper. Maybe sum ting wong.
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline mackeral5

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 05:50:34 PM »
At 50 yards with a 5mph crosswind, it shot 1" at 50 yards with the Poly Mags. 1.25" with the Diablos. I expected better, but I was also shooting at 9x at a big dot. I ran out of elevation adjustment with the scope, and could not even get it up to the paper. Maybe sum ting wong.

Try it without the shroud...
  • Smiths Station AL

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 06:41:36 PM »

Hmmmm....indeed. I will. Thanks.

I saw where one individual positioned grommets between over the barrel, snug to the inside of the shroud of his .22 cal, and recognized improved accuracy. The barrel on the .25 cal is thinner-walled, and probably the same blank as the .22.
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline mackeral5

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »

Hmmmm....indeed. I will. Thanks.

I saw where one individual positioned grommets between over the barrel, snug to the inside of the shroud of his .22 cal, and recognized improved accuracy. The barrel on the .25 cal is thinner-walled, and probably the same blank as the .22.

I'm in the process of building a .25 QB78 repeater using a crosman xl725 barrel--it is 14mm in diameter and will end up a little over 18.5" long.  After handling it I am strongly considering a rebarrel of my Gauntlet with a shorter, thicker barrel.  This would include opening up the breech to accept the thicker barrel.  Likely a GM .25 Mrod barrel.  everything is close enough that the Gauntlet shroud parts could be modified to fit. 
  • Smiths Station AL

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 11:14:53 AM »
So I decided to clean the barrel again, and what I thought originally was oil gunk from the factory, is most likely rust. Patch after patch, it keeps coming out brown. Looking into the barrel, the rifling looks ridged, and there are what appear to be a few pitted areas. Here's a pic of what a pushed through pellet looks like.

Looks like it's going back.
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »
Another pic
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline Ironman482

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »
No, I did not check the breech port. I just removed the barrel to clean it. I want to make sure it is accurate enough before I tear into it.

I don't have any rings tall enough to mount the 6-24x due to interference with the barrel band, so I'm going to bench it with the 3-9 in a few hours. The farrier is coming to trim the horses' hooves in a few minutes.
well theres your problem , you can't  properly sight in a gauntlet when the horse's hooves are shabby. LOL
  • Buchcanan Dam

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »

well theres your problem , you can't  properly sight in a gauntlet when the horse's hooves are shabby. LOL

LOL! Even with their finely pedicured hooves, my barrel still not worthy horse pucks.
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 07:25:51 PM »
Welp, after examining the bore with a bore scope, my suspicions were confirmed. The rifling is really, really rough. It looks like it was made with a wire brush! It would take hours of lapping to correct it, and still the results would be questionable. It's getting returned. I will place an order for another Gauntlet from different vendor.
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline mackeral5

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »
Smart move.  Odds are you'll find a good one.  There have been some impressive groups posted by .25 Gauntlet owners. 
  • Smiths Station AL

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?