Got Gauntlet .25 - don't have pellets or pump

Author Topic: Got Gauntlet .25 - don't have pellets or pump  (Read 977 times))

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
Re: Got Gauntlet .25 - don't have pellets or pump
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2019, 07:00:39 AM »
Received another Gauntlet last night. The barrel looked good, and so did the gun, overall. The air stripper was cracked on this one.  ::)
I cleaned the barrel, pumped it up to about 2700psi, and ran some JSBs thru her in the basement. I had to use infrared diffusers on my chrony. The shot string was extremely consistent, with a high of 868 fps, and a low of 862 fps for 8 shots. "dang" pellets went right thru a 2x8 & 1/2" plywood, embedding in a 3/4 plywood backer! I'm going to bench it today, before "Snowmagedon"!! So far, goodness.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:04:39 AM by Bleeb »
  • Fort Ann, NY
"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable" - Frank Zappa

Offline Jonnie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 02:32:04 PM »
Received another Gauntlet last night. The barrel looked good, and so did the gun, overall. The air stripper was cracked on this one.  ::)
I cleaned the barrel, pumped it up to about 2700psi, and ran some JSBs thru her in the basement. I had to use infrared diffusers on my chrony. The shot string was extremely consistent, with a high of 868 fps, and a low of 862 fps for 8 shots. "dang" pellets went right thru a 2x8 & 1/2" plywood, embedding in a 3/4 plywood backer! I'm going to bench it today, before "Snowmagedon"!! So far, goodness.
Did your barrel have a crown? Mine didn't have one at all.  :-[
  • Point Pleasant, WV, USA

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »

Yes it did. More pronounced than the last one.

I managed to squeeze off two magazines of JSBs, and it shot dime-sized groups at 25 yds. I can work with that out of the box.
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline Jonnie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »

Yes it did. More pronounced than the last one.

I managed to squeeze off two magazines of JSBs, and it shot dime-sized groups at 25 yds. I can work with that out of the box.

I guess I'll have to break out the brass screws and the valve lapping compound and get to work on it. My air stripper was cracked as well.
  • Point Pleasant, WV, USA

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
I guess I'll have to break out the brass screws and the valve lapping compound and get to work on it. My air stripper was cracked as well.

Absolutely Jonnie!

I would like to thank Hajimoto for his informative videos on the Gauntlets!

Since I have a pretty good shooter, I completely dismantled the Gauntlet, checked it over, and performed some cleanups and mods.

I polished the hammer and tube. The hole in the rear valve body thru which the poppet stem slides was extremely rough. Fortunately, a few toothpicks with some Maguire's aluminum polish was a perfect solution.

I cleaned the barrel again and gently polished it with a bore swab and Maguire's aluminum polish. Then I cleaned it again.

I replaced the o-rings on the barrel and air stripper. Unfortunately the replacement air stripper o-ring was too thick, so I'l have to go back to the hardware store.

I used two 3/4 O.D. x 7/16 I.D. grommets, cut on two sides for air passage, between the barrel and the shroud. One is located at the barrel band, and the other equidistant between that and the end of the barrel.

The slide check on the regulator tester still can't hold - even with replaced o-rings. Therefore, based on the fps readings from the stock test-fires, I decided to boost the reg pressure, minimally, with a .010 shim.

After re-assembly, I pumped it up to 3000 psi and benched it at 15 yards in my basement. I used 25.39 gr. JSB Match Diabolo Exact Kings. My 8-shot string had a high of 924 fps, which was the first shot, and a bit higher than the rest of the string. The next 7 shots were very consistent at 904 to 909 fps. That's humming. The group was .32", but the first shot was a tad left. If I were to remove that first shot, it would have been one large hole.

So far, so goodness.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:07:00 PM by Bleeb »
  • Fort Ann, NY

Offline Springrrrr

• Expert
  • no
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2019, 08:30:58 PM »
If you do put a JSAR kit in the gun, be sure to follow the instructions they give to seat the poppet.  That is the one with the folded sandpaper.  I tried just spinning mine against the seat with no luck.  It only seated after using the sandpaper method.
  • Loudon Tennessee
Quiet guns, loud guns, motorcycles and a good golf swing just to keep it going.
I am, therefore I plink.

Offline Bleeb

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »
If you do put a JSAR kit in the gun, be sure to follow the instructions they give to seat the poppet.  That is the one with the folded sandpaper.  I tried just spinning mine against the seat with no luck.  It only seated after using the sandpaper method.

Yes, thank you. I watched their video too.  I'll probably get a kit in a little while.
  • Fort Ann, NY

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?