Santa came late...

Author Topic: Santa came late...  (Read 579 times))

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Marksman
  • yes
Re: Santa came late...
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »
Dennis, the hole cutter (image below) I made accepts the common 1/8" shank drill bits (dremel, etc) so you would just pick the right size bit. The goal was to make it a one step drill and cut operation so you don't have to find center again. I don't use these inserts so this was a "can I do this" type of exercise. The easiest way to do this might be to make an adapter to an commercial hole cutter (usually 1/4" drill) to accept either 1/8" shank drill bits or attach something like a small collet.

I think making these with a lathe is a little tricky, though I'm no expert.

I'm still surprised that the laser cut tolerances that your vendor gave you are so loose. All the cheap things I've bought that were laser cut fit together well. I would expect tolerances in the .05 mm range not .5 mm
  • N. San Diego County, CA

Offline Nvreloader

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
FWIW
I contacted the seller of that small rotatory table, per the seller,
the total overall depth/thickness of this table is 1-5/8" thick/tall,
now, to find a small 4 jaw chuck.  ;D

Tia,
Don
  • Western  NV
Hammerli 850 Air Mag -17 cal x2
QB-79 - 22 cal
AF Recon Condor 22 cal- pending
CF 4500 45 min SCBA tanks x 3, w/SB F-10 compressor

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker,
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
-----------------------------------------------------
"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:29 PM »
Well....in the GTA spirit of enabling...You can buy a 3" Chinese 4 jaw in America https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1175&category=566826475 and http://www.cdcotools.com/ (look under machine tooling lathe tooling ..I have not ordered from CDCO)...Or you can buy a Chinese 3" 4 jaw in China https://www.banggood.com/SANOU-K72-Lathe-Chuck-80100125mm-4-Jaw-Independent-Hardened-Reversible-Tool-p-1152296.html

Offline Nvreloader

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 01:10:52 AM »
Thanks Stan

The first one is the better option, less total overall height add the rotatory table total height,
gives me 8" more of height working room on my mill, than the OEM table I have now,
which 8" + tall, for the same combo heights.  ;)

Thank you,
Don

• Western  NV
Hammerli 850 Air Mag -17 cal x2
QB-79 - 22 cal
AF Recon Condor 22 cal- pending
CF 4500 45 min SCBA tanks x 3, w/SB F-10 compressor

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker,
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
-----------------------------------------------------
"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 02:09:51 AM »
Don,
Here is a very similar 3" 4 jaw on a 4 inch rotary. I don't remember where I got them. The table is about 3" high. I made the mounting plate but it does not eat up much height. Overall about 5".

How are you going to mount the chuck to the 3" table?

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?