Santa came late...

Author Topic: Santa came late...  (Read 781 times))

Offline Vee3

• Marksman
  • yes
Santa came late...
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:28:27 PM »
But that's okay.  ;)

• CA

Offline Nvreloader

• Expert
Re: Santa came late...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:58:55 PM »
Victor

Neet mini mill, looks sharp, What brand?

Tia,
Don
  • Western  NV
Hammerli 850 Air Mag -17 cal x 2, 22 cal
QB-79 - 22 cal
AF Recon Condor 22 cal- pending
CF 4500 45 min SCBA tanks x 3, w/SB F-10 compressor

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker,
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
-----------------------------------------------------
"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

Offline Vee3

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:31:56 AM »
https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-25mv/

I'll also be getting their smallest lathe when they're back in stock...

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/
  • CA

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 01:22:18 AM »
Wow! That is really nice! I can think of years of projects to do with that.

I had in mind a cross axis table for my Rigid drill press, but of course, after I received my Amazon Christmas gift certificates, the table I had on my Amazon list is no longer available, so I'm looking for a decent replacement.

Anyway, your machine there is far beyond what I would have ended up with.

Keep us tuned in to the projects you do with it.   :D

D.
  • Denver, Colorado, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
You can view my gun list Here

Offline ShakySarge

• SFC USA INFANTRY (RET)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Infantry, 101st ABN DIV 2002-2013
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:53:30 AM »
certainly drooling over here!! One day, one day
  • Clarksville, Tennessee
Discovery w/ Boyds blaster stock, Marauder trigger, Prod PA

Marauder Gen 1 .25 self tuned with DIY SSG

Marauder Gen 1 .25 Stock from Factory

Original Run 500cc Bottled .25 Self tuned Marauder By D Piccard (soon to be a .30)

Gen 2 Mrod/Armada Frankengun with Gen 1 Bolt .25

Gen 2 Mrod .22 Synthetic

Bulldog .357, power tuned to 296FPE for three shots

Sumatra 2500 500cc .25x2
Sumatra 2500 500cc .22

NuVair (Coltri) MCH-6 Portable Compressor

Numerous 2240's, discos, 2300's, Springers and BB shooters

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 01:32:18 PM »
VERY NICE!  Also very impressed by the anvil in the background
  • N. San Diego County, CA

Offline AustinB

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:11:58 PM »
I really enjoyed my PM-25MV. PM has great customer support as well.

That looks like a pretty hefty vise for it. Looks like a 6 inch, or maybe it's just the perspective? I'd guess it's going to eat up a good chunk of your tables weight capacity if it is a 6". Shouldn't be an issue if you're not planning on mounting anything else on the table at the same time, but if you do, you will get some binding when traversing the X axis while working near the edges of the mills envelope. Also, if you don't have a DRO, you might find it hard to read the Y axis dials with a larger vise.

Everyone I've talked to has really liked their PM-25MVs, including myself.

It's a great mill for making custom airgun parts. I'm sure there are more people on the GTA looking at purchasing a mill. Be sure to keep us updated on your experience with yours.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:16:16 PM by AustinB »
  • Iredell, TX

Offline Vee3

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 11:51:16 PM »
This is what I had for ~20 years. The little one will take a bit of getting used to.

• CA

Offline Vee3

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 12:08:42 AM »
That looks like a pretty hefty vise for it. Looks like a 6 inch, or maybe it's just the perspective? I'd guess it's going to eat up a good chunk of your tables weight capacity if it is a 6". Shouldn't be an issue if you're not planning on mounting anything else on the table at the same time, but if you do, you will get some binding when traversing the X axis while working near the edges of the mills envelope. Also, if you don't have a DRO, you might find it hard to read the Y axis dials with a larger vise.

It's a 5". I bought it for a specific job. It will be mounted with the jaws parallel to the Y axis, with the swivel base removed. I have a 4" vise that will be used after I'm done with the 5". The 5" will most likely be turned into a precision swivel bench vise. Was only $140 and shipped at no extra cost with the machine. Not bad, considering a 6" Kurt with swivel base is ~$900.
  • CA

Offline AustinB

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 12:43:26 AM »

It's a 5". I bought it for a specific job. It will be mounted with the jaws parallel to the Y axis, with the swivel base removed. I have a 4" vise that will be used after I'm done with the 5". The 5" will most likely be turned into a precision swivel bench vise. Was only $140 and shipped at no extra cost with the machine. Not bad, considering a 6" Kurt with swivel base is ~$900.

I looked at buying a Kurt when I ordered my PM-25MVs replacement, but I couldn't see shelling out near that much for one. I also almost ordered the 6" vise on sale for $99 from them, but I decided to go with a smaller one. I ended up going with the Homge 5" that shipped with the new mill. The free shipping with the machine is really nice.

I ran a 4" PM vise on my PM-25MV. It was more than accurate enough for what I did. I would assume you'll be satisfied with the 5" as well.

My only complaint with the few times I've dealt with PM is that I've had issues tracking anything through Saia. Not really their fault, but still an annoyance with the process. My new mill shipped on the 27th, but I still can't track it and have no idea what time frame to expect it. I know Saia calls to set a delivery date, but it would be nice to know when I need to have the forklift at my house.

Enough of my complaining though. I hope I didn't come off as detracting from anything. I am most definitely an amatuer metal worker.

I believe you'll be very happy with your PM-25MV. I definitely like your plan for using the 5" vise as a precision bench vise. I wish I would have thought of something like that.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:09:17 AM by AustinB »
  • Iredell, TX

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 12:55:44 AM »
Those are fantastic machines you guys have there, but for this lesser mortal I'm going to try this which will be back in stock on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ3RHPS/?coliid=I2DJGLMHME7BMA&colid=1CJDURF60WZIT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And this to go along with it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROTARY-TABLE-HORIZONTAL-VERTICAL-NEW-BEST-BUY-IN-TOWN-PIC-5794/262357804530?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm planning on using it on my large floor stand Rigid drill press. Any thoughts from you Pro's on the feasablilty of this dinky set up would be appreciated.

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 03:20:37 AM »
Not a Pro but I'll chime in.

I you are thinking of using that for milling, I tried that. I used a cross vise on my floor 17" drill press. The trickiest part was how to get precise control of the vertical motion. For aluminum I had to take very light cuts which meant the Z control was critical. I did a DIY mod to try to achieve that but was never happy with it. It probably works better with plastic where you can take deeper cuts, but I gave up and bought a mini mill. You could go another step up in rigidity with something like this https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1765&category=-269978449 or http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-6-x-18-1-2-Compound-Slide-Table/G8750 but it doesn't solve the issues on the drill press side and you are spending money that could go towards a mini mill.

If you are planning to use it for precision positioning during drilling, that's a different story. I have my cross vise permanently on the drill press and use it all the time for hole placement. Don't know how my cross vise set-up compares in utility with the XY table you are looking at.

Online Bob Pratl

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 07:37:53 AM »
I have never tried using a X/Y table in a drill press as a mill but two of my friends have with no luck. One of them used a 1930's industrial press, which had new spindle bearings, and had so much chatter the chuck would fly out on small cuts. As stated by Stan above it works great for wood or plastic. He ended up finding a good use mill for $400.00 and gave me the X/Y table which now has 4 years of dust on it. It's doable but you must take very small Cuts. My first mill was one step above a drill press which I sold 5 years ago and purchased a Grizzly GO619 which is a light duty mill but precision and meets my needs. It has now been converted to CNC.
  • Gloucester,Massachusetts
.25   Dynamic DAR 25
.25   Evanix Rainstorm II
.357 Evanix REX
.25   Hatsan Bullboss
.25   Benjamin Marauder-being converted to .30
.22   Benjamin Marauder pistol
.22   Crossman Venom
.22   Crossman 2240/2250 10.4" (CO2)/(HPA)
.22   Mrodair CP-1M Pistol  with CP2 grip (CO2)  
.22   Mrodair CP-2 Carbine (CO2)
.22   Mrodair AirMax MK II
.22   Mrodair Varminter PR900W
.22   Umarex Gauntlet
.177  FAS 6004, SIG P320, BEE P17
.177  Sig Sauer MCX (CO2)/(HPA)
.177  Airforce Edge
.177  Benjamin Wildfire
Yong Heng Compressor

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 10:50:05 AM »
Thanks guys.

Stan - exact center drilling is exactly what I want to do with it. Of late I'm making my own clear and tinted front globe sight inserts. and because I have different diameter globes (and friends who do also) I need to find center each time I drill a set. Here's a pic of one that I did for my MP532. The bevel looks off center but it isn't. It's just the way I had to take the pic at an angle.

I know I can buy these outright, but I enjoy making things on my own and experimenting with things that you can't buy like this insert with a center dot.

My drill press has zero chatter as it's the best one that Rigid makes for small shop and home use. I'm waffling on the rotating table, but it's the only way I can think of to get a stepped edge for inserts like these.

Those are just my starter projects and what got me thinking about an axis table. I have $150 in Amazon gift dollars I need to spend anyway.

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 12:23:07 PM »
Precise features on small round things....Looks like you are at the entrance of the mini lathe rabbit hole.

For precision drilling, you may want to look at an optical center punch http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=45502&cat=42311 or https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H5781-Optica-Length-Punch/dp/B00012YFIA

I don't have one but it is on my not so short list of DIY projects.

The chatter on the drill does not show up until you start side loading it with an end mill.

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »
I haven't had any problems with center point skating. I have a small pointed bit (or awl) that can press into the plastic, and then put in the proper size bit to complete the hole.

Looks like you are at the entrance of the mini lathe rabbit hole.

That's what I'm a bit worried about.

The chatter on the drill does not show up until you start side loading it with an end mill.

I realize that as well. I'll have to go real slow with small bites I think.

The trickiest part was how to get precise control of the vertical motion.

And that is probably the thing I'm worried about most. There is a gauge on the vertical spindle handle (like you'd have on a scope sidewheel) that shows increments of 1/32 or less, but there is also a certain amount of play in that direction in the rack/pinion. Something I'll have to address as that affects the depth of the bevels on my sight inserts, which in turn affects the apparent thickness of the ring.

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 01:16:46 PM »
For controlling the vertical, I tightened the nut on the left side to get enough friction on the down feed. I also clamped a ring onto the quill that had a tab that I could touch with a dial indicator.

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »
I also clamped a ring onto the quill that had a tab that I could touch with a dial indicator.

Great idea!!

Offline WhatUPSbox?

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
I wonder if you could cut the ledge on your disks with a boring head and a cutter bit that you grind to shape as needed, or even an adjustable hole cutter with a custom ground bit.

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 02:25:17 PM »
I wonder if you could cut the ledge on your disks with a boring head and a cutter bit that you grind to shape as needed, or even an adjustable hole cutter with a custom ground bit.

Each disc has it's own particular OD to fit inside the globe, and the step has it's own OD to fit inside the rear housing. Some inserts don't require the step as they replace metal ones. Those that do need the step fit into the rear threaded housing of a globe sight and are then threaded into the globe as a unit. The step isn't absolutely necessary, but with a proper fit it helps keep the insert perfectly centered inside the globe housing.

Kinda hard to explain without pics (that I cannot find right now).

To make the step I'm thinking I will have to come in from the edge at half depth, turn the turntable and keep checking the steps' OD until I get there. I can't have one proprietary hole saw or anything because of the diff sizes of inserts that I want to make.

It will be a tedious process for sure, but if I do a run of dozens of each size it should work out.

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: