What's your favorite BB plinker?

Author Topic: What's your favorite BB plinker?  (Read 1881 times))

Offline cobalt327

• Expert
Re: What's your favorite BB plinker?
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
Daisy  came out with a series of "adult" BB Red Ryders you can look at.

You can get them with a child size gun as well in a kit.
I did that for a father son thing when it first came out.
At least that was a good decision by Daisy (among the bad ones like to discontinue so many models)- a BB gun sized for a father or mother and son or daughter makes a lot of sense, to both the consumer and Daisy as a corporation. I hope this isn't just a flash in the pan and instead signals a sign of life in Rogers!
  • GA, USA

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »
This thread is relevant for me today... I have a dentist appointment in the "big city" this afternoon and was thinking of picking up an 880 at the Wal-Mart while I was in the area.

But for just BB plinking, is one of the smaller smooth-bores a better choice?  I'm most interested in low price and accuracy (I know... pretty much mutually exclusive).

I have my old Model 25 from the early 1970s but it doesn't have much accuracy left in it.  (Barely keeps 'em on the paper at 10 yards.)

Tight groups,
Bob
  • USA  Whitehall, NY
Air Arms TX200 .177
BAM B26-2 .22 MM full tune
Beeman P17 (x2)
Beeman R7 .177
Benjamin 392
CZ Slavia 634 .177
Daisy AVANTI 747 Triumph Match .177 pistol
Daisy Model 25 BB
Daisy PowerLine 35 .177
Daisy Model 111B BB
Daisy Model 188 BB pistol
Daisy PowerLine 880S .177 (x2)
Hatsan Torpedo 100x Vortex .25
Hatsan 125 Sniper Vortex Camo .25
RWS Diana 34 .177 w/Vortek kit
Webley Valuemax .20
Weihrauch HW30 .177
Weihrauch HW90 .22 (and a .177 barrel)

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »
Daisy  came out with a series of "adult" BB Red Ryders you can look at.

You can get them with a child size gun as well in a kit.
I did that for a father son thing when it first came out.
At least that was a good decision by Daisy (among the bad ones like to discontinue so many models)- a BB gun sized for a father or mother and son or daughter makes a lot of sense, to both the consumer and Daisy as a corporation. I hope this isn't just a flash in the pan and instead signals a sign of life in Rogers!

I honestly think Gamo buying them was for the best.
They were letting their target rifles die even before Gamo came along. The 599 looks interesting. I hope they continue to use Daisy for youth guns.

The pack I bought also came with shooting glasses and a can launcher. For a single purchase you basically have an afternoon activity in a box.
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline cobalt327

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 05:53:56 PM »
This thread is relevant for me today... I have a dentist appointment in the "big city" this afternoon and was thinking of picking up an 880 at the Wal-Mart while I was in the area.

But for just BB plinking, is one of the smaller smooth-bores a better choice?  I'm most interested in low price and accuracy (I know... pretty much mutually exclusive).

I have my old Model 25 from the early 1970s but it doesn't have much accuracy left in it.  (Barely keeps 'em on the paper at 10 yards.)

Tight groups,
Bob
The 880 is magnitudes more accurate, more powerful and won't break the bank. The things the Red Ryder has going for it is it's even less expensive and carries hundreds of BBs on board with only a cock of the lever needed to launch one. The 880 can be shot as a pump up repeater BB gun but the accuracy isn't anywhere near as good as with pellets. How accurate an 880 is compared to a 'Ryder I can't say empirically but I'd imagine it would be better than the 'Ryder, plus the 880 has a rear sight adjustable for windage and the 'Ryder doesn't. Plus the 880 comes with a rail; the 'Ryder needs a $10 plus shipping Lasso mount from PA to mount an optic which brings their cost even closer. The 880 shoots BBs hard with just a few pumps so it's not that much more difficult to shoot semi-rapidly.
  • GA, USA

Offline bantam5s

• Never call your shots, that way you will always hit where say you were aiming.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »
The accuracy you get with bb's is in my opinion not worth the effort / time to pump.
In general I'm a pumper guy and have nothing against it, but for bb's I'm generally a spring powered Daisy kind of guy.
Quick repeater action with pretty acceptable accuracy and power out of say a red ryder at 10yds.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
If you call your shots some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »
When we were kids, we shot tens of thousands of BBs.  Pellets, not so many!
Yes, BBs are not as accurate, but they were/are much cheaper than pellets. 
Plus, it is safe to carry the lead-free BBs in your mouth.  (Maybe we swallowed a few, but . . . .)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee  -- If "air rifles" are for kids, I NEVER WANT TO GROW UP! 
Keep a low profile.                     Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal or deal.
                        Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 11:01:50 PM »
I grabbed an 880 after my dental appointment this afternoon.  I was able to clean the bore, mount the scope, lube the pump wiper and pivots and shoot a dozen or so shots in the back yard as the sun went down.  I can't wait to get up tomorrow morning and shoot it!   I feel like a kid a Christmas. :)

So far, I'm thinking the 880 is very much like the Beeman P17 pistol; the maximum fun per dollar and an absolute must-have...

Tight groups,
Bob

• USA  Whitehall, NY
Air Arms TX200 .177
Beeman P17 (x2)
Beeman R7 .177
Benjamin 392
CZ Slavia 634 .177
Daisy Model 25 BB
Daisy PowerLine 35 .177
Daisy Model 111B BB
Webley Valuemax .20
Weihrauch HW30 .177

Offline jnjhess

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 11:36:12 PM »
Congrats, another one affected by the Daisy 880 Bug. :-)
Enjoy it really is like the P17, I had one of that too a year ago or so and it was shooting nice and was cheap.
The only thing I didn't know then was how to fix it, after a week I bought it was pushing the air out of the Cylinder while I was cocking it, so I brought it back to Walmart where I bought it. Might have to check into that one again. Since then I have read a lot of Info how about to fix this little P17 gem on here and on other sites.
  • USA, Mississippi, Lucedale.
Always have fun, happy plinking and straight shooting.

Longguns:
Crosman FIRE  NP, .177 cal.
Daisy Model 1938 BB Red Ryder .177 BB cal.
Daisy Model 880 S, 177 cal. With GEO LDC.
Benjamin Trail NP2 synthetic, .177 cal.

Handguns:
Crosman CR 357 Vigilante, .177cal.
Crosman 1377, .177cal.

Offline Jeff_290

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »
Daisy Red Ryder and a Crosman Recruit (smooth bore).

I used to use my old 880 back in the day before I knew it was bad for the rifling...
  • USA, OH, Cincinnati

Offline jnjhess

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
But my favorite BB-Plinker is my Daisy Red Ryder. I shot that thing up to 30 feet with open sights and hit 9 out of ten.
Cheap fun plinking. Than later I tried other techniques, like aiming pinpointing without using the sights, and that got pretty good too.
So a lot of fun with that gun, and inexpensive.
Just a real good plinking gun.
  • USA, Mississippi, Lucedale.
Always have fun, happy plinking and straight shooting.

Longguns:
Crosman FIRE  NP, .177 cal.
Daisy Model 1938 BB Red Ryder .177 BB cal.
Daisy Model 880 S, 177 cal. With GEO LDC.
Benjamin Trail NP2 synthetic, .177 cal.

Handguns:
Crosman CR 357 Vigilante, .177cal.
Crosman 1377, .177cal.

Offline Jeff_290

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 09:38:25 AM »
The Red Ryders are amazingly accurate at that distance. The one I use is my son's.  I should probably buy my own before Daisy decides to cheapen them with plastic...
  • USA, OH, Cincinnati

Offline bantam5s

• Never call your shots, that way you will always hit where say you were aiming.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2019, 11:10:05 PM »
The Red Ryders are amazingly accurate at that distance. The one I use is my son's.  I should probably buy my own before Daisy decides to cheapen them with plastic...
The lever is polymer and I have worn one out, but the cast leverage s available from them.
I don't think they can really do anything more than put plastic stocks on them , but that's something they had been doing on many models since at least the 60's.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
If you call your shots some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke.

Offline cobalt327

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2019, 11:29:38 PM »
The 880 that Geo recently built would qualify as a few folk's favorite BB plinker, I'd imagine.

Based on a new style 880, using the shot tube from the Daisy model 499 aka the "Worlds Most Accurate BB Gun". Shroud shortened to match the tube. A Geo LDC is a likely addition in the days to come.

Here's what Geo has to say about it:
"I reinstalled the unmodified 499 barrel and topped it off with a Field Sport red dot to do some more outside testing in between wind gusts. With 4 pumps, averaging 477 fps, it shoots 1" groups offhand out to 10 yards with no hopup. This power level and distance will put a BB through one side of a metal paint can and leave a good dent on the other side. At 25 to 30 yards, you can shoot soda cans till the sun goes down. In its current form, it is like the BB gun I dreamed of having as a boy."

It's not finished...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:53:23 AM by cobalt327 »
  • GA, USA

Offline Mossonarock

• Licensed to crenellate
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2019, 09:33:40 AM »
Crosman 1377 Gen1- because that's what I have. It might have been more accurate 30 years ago when my grandmother first gave it to me. But I can still 'anger' off raccoons by shooting them in the 'tail' at 30+ yards. Last year when a coon was raiding the Red Shoulder Hawk's next in my back yard, you bet I was pelting that little bugger! I liked my hawks!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:35:41 AM by Mossonarock »
  • USA, NC, Winston-Salem

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »
The 880 that Geo recently built would qualify as a few folk's favorite BB plinker, I'd imagine.

Based on a new style 880, using the shot tube from the Daisy model 499 aka the "Worlds Most Accurate BB Gun". Shroud shortened to match the tube. A Geo LDC is a likely addition in the days to come.

Here's what Geo has to say about it:
"I reinstalled the unmodified 499 barrel and topped it off with a Field Sport red dot to do some more outside testing in between wind gusts. With 4 pumps, averaging 477 fps, it shoots 1" groups offhand out to 10 yards with no hopup. This power level and distance will put a BB through one side of a metal paint can and leave a good dent on the other side. At 25 to 30 yards, you can shoot soda cans till the sun goes down. In its current form, it is like the BB gun I dreamed of having as a boy."

It's not finished...

This does look ideal!   Why do i not see any love for Daisy's Model 35?  Isn't it the same idea as this custom 880: a multi-pump pneumatic with a smooth bore barrel for BBs?

My 880 continues to impress me with its accuracy with pellets and its easy handling.  If it shot BBs accurately, it might be my favorite air rifle!

Tight groups,
Bob
  • USA  Whitehall, NY
Air Arms TX200 .177
Beeman P17 (x2)
Beeman R7 .177
Benjamin 392
CZ Slavia 634 .177
Daisy Model 25 BB
Daisy PowerLine 35 .177
Daisy Model 111B BB
Webley Valuemax .20
Weihrauch HW30 .177

Offline cobalt327

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »
This does look ideal!   Why do i not see any love for Daisy's Model 35?  Isn't it the same idea as this custom 880: a multi-pump pneumatic with a smooth bore barrel for BBs?

My 880 continues to impress me with its accuracy with pellets and its easy handling.  If it shot BBs accurately, it might be my favorite air rifle!

Tight groups,
Bob
Bob, you bring up a good point! Having a similar powerplant as the 880 and already having a smoothbore shot tube makes the model 35 an ideal candidate for some very interesting mods that were hinted at above. And actually the 35 has been mentioned by oldnamvet and Geo already, so they're aware of it. I think the biggest reason the 880 was used to test the 499 shot tube was convenience, because he already had one on hand. But a 35 may be on the horizon...
  • GA, USA

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »

Tight groups,
Bob
Bob, you bring up a good point! Having a similar powerplant as the 880 and already having a smoothbore shot tube makes the model 35 an ideal candidate for some very interesting mods that were hinted at above. And actually the 35 has been mentioned by oldnamvet and Geo already, so they're aware of it. I think the biggest reason the 880 was used to test the 499 shot tube was convenience, because he already had one on hand. But a 35 may be on the horizon...

I plan on ordering one very soon, Mark. 

In the meantime, I think I found my sought-after BB plinker in the form of an old 111-B that was in my basement.  It wasn't all that great in the accuracy department, but I'd say it was acceptable.  The biggest problem was that it shot about four inches to the right at 10 yards and had no windage adjustment for the sights.

In my attempt to correct the issue by modding the plastic plug at the muzzle, the rifle's accuracy roughly doubled!  It still shoots a bit to the right so I'll do some work to the rear sight to correct it.

Tight groups,
Bob
  • USA  Whitehall, NY
Air Arms TX200 .177
Beeman P17 (x2)
Beeman R7 .177
Benjamin 392
CZ Slavia 634 .177
Daisy Model 25 BB
Daisy PowerLine 35 .177
Daisy Model 111B BB
Webley Valuemax .20
Weihrauch HW30 .177

Offline cobalt327

• Expert
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »
The lack of windage adjustment has been a sore spot with me since forever. Why Daisy thinks a BB gun wouldn't benefit from windage adjustment is beyond me.

Doesn't that 111B have an elevation-only adjustable sight like a Red Ryder? If it does, you might try using the windage blade like used on various other Daisys. You can see what I mean by clicking HERE. That gun would also be a good candidate for a high performance spring.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:55:09 PM by cobalt327 »
  • GA, USA

Offline Lonewolf65

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2019, 10:20:00 PM »
Red Ryder
  • USA, Sequatchie, TN

Offline bantam5s

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 11:50:37 PM »
Had a Daisy model 35 as a teenager and from what I remember it was much more accurate that the Crosman 760 my brother had.
  • USA CA Arbuckle

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: