Nova Freedom and Seneca Aspen QUESTION FOR USERS

Author Topic: Nova Freedom and Seneca Aspen QUESTION FOR USERS  (Read 614 times))

Offline nocalories

• Shooter
  • yes
Nova Freedom and Seneca Aspen QUESTION FOR USERS
« on: December 27, 2018, 03:32:25 AM »
Hello. In regards the Nova Freedom PCP rifle and it's sibling Air Venturi Seneca Aspen, will owners or users answer this question please? Does the barrel shroud have baffles or insulation inside for the purpose of silencing the gun? By design, does propellant air vent in any fashion into the shroud or elsewhere for the purpose of silencing the gun? Does the actual rifled barrel vent propellant gas at any place from breech to muzzle? I'll reveal the reason for my interest upon considering your replies! Thanks in advance.
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
Re: Nova Freedom and Seneca Aspen QUESTION FOR USERS
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:34:14 AM »
Maybe Dana could answer your questions. I know he just did a field test and review of the Seneca Aspen.
 I'll send him a link to this thread and I'm sure he will respond.
  • State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.

Offline Tpatner412

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
Hello. In regards the Nova Freedom PCP rifle and it's sibling Air Venturi Seneca Aspen, will owners or users answer this question please? Does the barrel shroud have baffles or insulation inside for the purpose of silencing the gun? By design, does propellant air vent in any fashion into the shroud or elsewhere for the purpose of silencing the gun? Does the actual rifled barrel vent propellant gas at any place from breech to muzzle? I'll reveal the reason for my interest upon considering your replies! Thanks in advance.

The shroud does not have baffles inside.  The centering rings sits well behind the muzzle, so the idea is that some air will kick back off of the shroud end cap into this empty space.  But, there are no vent holes on the shroud itself or in the centering ring.  Personally, I've tested with baffles and without, the baffles don't make a huge difference in noise level.  Just my experience thus far.

Would it be fair to assume that your question has something to do with you being in Canada and the "interesting" laws regarding silenced/shrouded airguns?
  • Cleveland, OH
Pyramyd Insyder
Pyramyd Air Field Target Team

Current Stable: 
Anschutz 9015 HP One .177
Ripley AR5s .177, Gary Cane Stock
Ripley AR5s .177, CS1000 Stock
FWB 601
Steyr LG10
Beeman HW77 .177 (25mm)

Offline TF89

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »
I don't have one, yet from what is being described it shouldn't be that hard to do the opposite of a baffle.  That would be to add a solid cylinder instead of baffles with a hole through the center.  It would be just like what they put on a lot of break barrels to give the front sight something to attach to and also give leverage to cock it. 

Without knowing anything regarding Canada and law.  The block would have to be epoxied in to prevent removal and not sure what issue that would cause with disassembly, etc.

I suspect it is all moot anyway as I doubt they could be purchased in Canada anyway.  Maybe they could be purchased without the shroud.

• Puget Sound, WA
Benjamin Discovery .22 now BNM breech/shroud quasi-carbine. (20" barrel) 
Crosman 400 (love this one)
Crosman 140 with 2260 top end
Remington NPSS .177
Crosman 1322, 14Ē barrel, partial mods, flat top piston
Beeman P17

Offline nocalories

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:08:33 PM »
Thanks for your replies. American Tactical replied to my e-mail, copied below.

Yes, Canadian law prohibits all devices that quiet firearms, and all med-high power airguns are defined as firearms. In Canada, you need to get a firearms possession and acquisition licence for anything except the cheapest department store airguns. I have the licence.

I'm still fuzzy on the mechanics of the shroud thing. The few photos I could find of the muzzle and naked barrel didn't demonstrate how the gas bleeds into the shroud. If I knew what it looked like, I might be able to mod the gun to satisfy the authorities.

Guns sold in the USA with sound moderators, i.e., Benjamin Marauder, ARE SOLD in Canada, but with this caveat, "Silencing Baffles Removed for Canada". See American Tactical's reply here:

"Thank you for your interest in the Nova Freedom air rifle! Unfortunately, the Nova Freedom does have a sort of sound dampening system, so it would not be allowed in Canada. We also donít sell the gun in Canada due to import restrictions. Iím sorry for the bad news. Let me know if thereís anything else I can help you with."

I expect the import restrictions referred to are: 1. French/English packaging and documents, and 2. Having to build a non-moderated Canadian version when they can't satisfy demand of the current gun.

Offline Tpatner412

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 01:47:44 AM »
Most likely that last part, not wanting to make a "Canada legal" version.  That said, you might try reaching out to Airgun Source, they may be able to shed more light on this and if a dealer up there was able to get one, I would think they can.  Can't hurt to ask. 

Tyler
  • Cleveland, OH
Pyramyd Insyder
Pyramyd Air Field Target Team

Current Stable: 
Anschutz 9015 HP One .177
Ripley AR5s .177, Gary Cane Stock
Ripley AR5s .177, CS1000 Stock
FWB 601
Steyr LG10
Beeman HW77 .177 (25mm)

Offline nocalories

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 03:21:39 AM »
Thanks, Tyler. I'm in the USA for a few months, and I'd prefer to buy here for price reasons. I may have to buy the gun to figure this out. I can sell it before returning home if necessary.

Offline nocalories

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 02:12:51 AM »
Thanks for all your advice. I was steered to an enthusiast's YouTube video that included a tear-down. No baffles. The barrel ends 4" short of the front of the shroud. A cap screws onto the end of the shroud to dress it up. It should pass muster in Canada, so I ordered the gun. Thanks again.

Offline Sky

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 11:14:55 PM »
Can anyone tell me the thread size of the shroud cap? I know it bigger than a Gauntlet. The only other one I have is on a HW97k.
  • Eugene, Oregon
HW97k
R7
Beeman ss1000
IZH 46M
Crosman Fury
Hatsan Mod 25
Benji Trail 725XL
RWS 350
Rws 34 t06 synthetic
RWS 34 t06 walmart
Umarex Embark SAR

Online robertr

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 01:31:29 AM »
  I can tell you from experience that the shroud on the Marauder is a silencing device even without the baffles. Shoot the Marauder without the shroud and it is loud, with shroud backyard friendly. I don't know how the Marauder passed going by their rules.
  • Canada

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.

Sponsored Ad: