Inlay Pellet Box (Holder)

Author Topic: Inlay Pellet Box (Holder)  (Read 609 times))

Offline JaRoHe

• Shooter
  • HOSP's - 19 / YB's 48
Inlay Pellet Box (Holder)
« on: December 14, 2018, 03:13:50 AM »
I designed this pellet box as a Christmas stocking stuffer for my Dad (85 yrs old and still shooting HOSP's and nutters invading his bird feeders... Go DAD!!!).

Pellet box has a 15 shot capacity, easily slips in the pocket or can be readily stored out of the way.

Made out of MDF, measures approximately 2-1/2" x 3-3/4" x 3/4", lid fits snug (not tight), pellets fit snug (not tight / if turned upside down they won't fall out), tops protrude just high enough above the surface to be easily grasped with your finger tips. 

The recessed lid has approximately .020" clearance to keep pellets in their place and prevent crushing.

Thoughts and/or suggestions are welcomed...

• Cedar Rapids, IA
A Mistake That Keeps Being Repeated Is Not A Mistake, It's A Choice...

2019 - HOSP's (19 [5F-14M]) - YB's (48)
2018 - HOSP's - 216

Offline Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Inlay Pellet Box (Holder)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 03:46:47 AM »
Very cool pellet holder Jim !!!  I'm sure your dad will love it and put it to some good use 8)
  • Kalamazoo Mi
HHD Sup Com Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam 71-72

Offline JungleShooter

• I rather be a Thwacker than a
  • Marksman
  • There is a bug. It's called AG. It bit me! Bad.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:48:03 AM »
I want one...! With H&N or JSB on the lid....!    ;D
  • Lima, PERU

Online Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »
Nice work Jim. 
  • Ormond by the Sea, FL, USA 🇺🇸
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Find other GTA members in your area.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline ShakySarge

• SFC USA INFANTRY (RET)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Infantry, 101st ABN DIV 2002-2013
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 09:30:32 AM »
Great looking craftsmanship there!
  • Clarksville, Tennessee
Discovery w/ Boyds blaster stock, Marauder trigger, Prod PA

Marauder Gen 1 .25 self tuned with DIY SSG

Marauder Gen 1 .25 Stock from Factory

Original Run 500cc Bottled .25 Self tuned Marauder By D Piccard (soon to be a .30)

Gen 2 Mrod/Armada Frankengun with Gen 1 Bolt .25

Gen 2 Mrod .22 Synthetic

Bulldog .357, power tuned to 296FPE for three shots

Sumatra 2500 500cc .25x2
Sumatra 2500 500cc .22

NuVair (Coltri) MCH-6 Portable Compressor

Numerous 2240's, discos, 2300's, Springers and BB shooters

Offline ShawninIL

• Marksman
  • RAMADA GANG Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
Very nice work.
  • IL
Taipan Veteran .25 SWFA 3-15x42 FFP, Bizills Mag Holders  SWEET!
Mrod .25 RAI Stock  BSA 6-24x44 Tactical FFP
Mid 70s Crosman 761xl 
Diana 52 .177 SWFA 10x42
Flex .25
HW97 SWFA 10x42
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

Offline Yogi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:16:34 PM »
Jim,

Looks good.  :D
IMHO, would be even better with a top that can swivel but stay arched to the bottom.  A one handed flick to open.  I would loose the top in a heartbeat. :-[

-Y
  • San Francisco, CA
Hatsan 95 Vortex, .22
RWS 6G, .177
RWS LP8 Magnum, .177
Diana 340 N-Tec, .22 Compact Lexus
HW 50S, .177 and/or .22

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 11:57:47 PM »
Jim, very nice work! Your dad will be proud to carry that around :).
  • U.S. CA
RWS 48 T06 .22 UTG 3-12X44 EG
Daystate HRXL .22 Discovery VT-T 4.5-18x44 SFVF-N FFP
Brocock Compatto .22 Discovery HD 4-20X50 SFIR FFP

Offline kcatx

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 03:07:50 PM »
That's very nice.  Did you do that freehand??
  • Austin, Texas Area

Offline JaRoHe

• Shooter
  • HOSP's - 19 / YB's 48
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 01:14:11 AM »
kcatx,

The cross-hairs were created in a graphics program, no real rhyme or reason, just pieced together... the bird was traced freehand from an actual image of a HOSP using the same graphics program (inkscape).

I ran into issues with the insides of letters & numbers (A's, R's, 4's, 6's, 8's, 9's, etc.) chipping out when routing the MDF. Material would be hit or miss... some sheets would machine just fine, others would fail every time.  (My failure rate was somewhere around 70-80%)

Experimenting with different materials made all the difference... I found that Maple machines really well but I haven't been able to find it in 1/2" sizes at my local lumber stores (Menards, Home Depot, Lowes).  I've been experimenting with a piece of Aspen that I recently picked up...

Here are a few examples using the Aspen material:

• Cedar Rapids, IA

2018 - HOSP's - 216

Offline JaRoHe

• Shooter
  • HOSP's - 19 / YB's 48
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 01:36:04 AM »
Here is an example of the Maple material:

Once it warms up, I'll try resawing the 1" material down to 1/2" on the bandsaw and then run it thru the planer (unless I can find some 1/2" Maple locally).

• Cedar Rapids, IA

2018 - HOSP's - 216

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 09:05:52 AM »
Beauty!! 

Perhaps make the "tin" a bit bigger, so that you can install a small section of foam for the pellets:

Also, maybe have a more simple script option?  Simply caliber and type would be sufficient:  .177 wadcutter, .22 domed, or .25 polymag... 

Overall, I LOVE the looks!
  • Silver Spring Md

Offline JaRoHe

• Shooter
  • HOSP's - 19 / YB's 48
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 09:16:38 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for your comments...

I was planning on making a generic caliber pellet box with a likeness to a Ford logo with raised letters...

I'd also like to experiment with foam inserts... any ideas as to where I would look to get some of this foam material?  I'm not familiar with what applications this type of foam is primarily used for.

The thought behind customizing each box to a particular brand/type of pellet was to allow for quick visual identification of the pellets which shoot best in my particular airgun(s).   (I have roughly 12 different brands/types of pellets that I've tested, of which only 3 or 4 shoot accurately thru my guns.)

The current bases are custom made to match the lengths and head styles of each different pellet... the skirts protrude approximately 1/16" above the base, allowing the pellet to be easily grasped with the finger tips.

A foam insert would in all likelihood allow for more of a one-size fits all design... over the more precise hole depths required in the MDF (too deep requires finger nail extraction, too shallow doesn't allow pellets to stand in an upright position).

• Cedar Rapids, IA

2018 - HOSP's - 216

Offline YEMX

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Semper Gumby
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 09:51:29 PM »
Honestly?  I'd give a surplus military sleeping mat a try.  It's closed cell, so it won't absorb water, and it's dense enough to firmly hold the pellets w/o deforming them.  The foam is also relatively cheap for the surplus stuff.  Just an idea.  Not sure what others are using.

• Silver Spring Md

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 10:55:55 PM »
Jim - Great idea and well produced!!

So the graphics are CNC routed? I though at first that they were laser engraved.

Have you considered something very tight grained such as Beech?

Nice work!!
  • Denver, Colorado, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
You can view my gun list Here

Offline JaRoHe

• Shooter
  • HOSP's - 19 / YB's 48
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 11:41:05 PM »
Yes, the graphics are CNC routed...

I haven't seen any Beech wood... but I will make it a point to seek it out!!!  Thanks for the suggestion...

I do have a piece of Oak that I had picked up last weekend... I'll give it a try this weekend.  I had seen some Mahogany at Menards, not sure if it was available in 1/2" though... sounds like a good enough excuse for me to head back to one of my favorite stores.
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

2018 - HOSP's - 216

Offline JaRoHe

• Shooter
  • HOSP's - 19 / YB's 48
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 11:47:59 PM »
Honestly?  I'd give a surplus military sleeping mat a try.  It's closed cell, so it won't absorb water, and it's dense enough to firmly hold the pellets w/o deforming them.  The foam is also relatively cheap for the surplus stuff.  Just an idea.  Not sure what others are using.

Tom,

We have a military surplus outlet in a neighboring town... I'll be sure to stop by and check out the sleeping mats.

Thanks for the suggestion...
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

2018 - HOSP's - 216

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 11:58:57 PM »
I suggested Beech for its tight and consistent grain structure. That's why it's so popular for carving. In the old days, molds for casting were made of Beech because it can hold small details without chipping. I'd actually stay away from Oak, as it is one of the worst for changing grain structure - very tight along one part of the grain, and very porous right next to it. Walnut, Cherry also exhibit that changing grain but to a lesser extent. Hardwood/Softwood is not an indicator either. For those who don't know, a Hardwood is deciduous, meaning that its fruit bears the seeds inside (Apple, Cherry, etc.) A Softwood is coniferous - it bears its seeds on the outside like pinecones (Pines, Firs). Did you know that Balsa is technically a Hardwood?

Anyway, I totally digressed there, sorry. Bottom line is no matter what it's called, look for something in the way of tight and consistent grain that runs without swirls or changing direction. Boring maybe, but better than MDF.

Just thinkin' out loud here.

Offline JaRoHe

• Shooter
  • HOSP's - 19 / YB's 48
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 01:55:37 AM »
Dennis,

Thanks for pointing out the different types of woods and grain structures... I'll have to look more closely at the various types of woods that are better suited for routing/carving.

I did carve one out of Oak piece I had tonight.  It appears to have turned out alright... but I have to agree with you about the changing grain structures of the wood, I'll steer away from it in the future.

What are your thoughts on Maple, the piece I originally carved seemed to have fairly tight grain, I was impressed with the way it cut... wish I could find 1/2" locally.
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

2018 - HOSP's - 216

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 02:19:59 AM »
Maple would be a good choice if you find the right section of it. It has a tight and fairly consistent grain but can go wild in spots. For the small pieces you need, you should be able to find a section that has the consistency you need. There are different species of Maple as well - Soft Maple, Hard maple. The most commonly found in stores is hard maple. Home Depot has (at least in this area) small bins of wood in 3/4 and 1/2" thick x 2,3,4" x 3ft.. They call it "hobby" wood.

Another possible wood for your project is Poplar which should be in that hobby wood section as well. Poplar tends to leave a fuzzy edge when routing though because the fibers are not as tightly bound together.

What tools do you have on hand? I'm a woodworker and have most of what a decent small shop would have, but I no longer have a planer, which is what you need for thickness planing. That being said, if I knew what you have to work with, I'm pretty creative at doing things with other than the "proper" tool. You might also call around to some local cabinet shops and see if they can mill something to your specs. Back when I had my full shop I would have done something like that for you for free. I closed my shop 20 yrs. ago and sold all my specialty equipment like surface planers and such.

Do you have a Rockler store in your area? They may have something as well.

Ya know what? Check with an actual hobby shop too. Maple is used in RC airplanes as engine mount material.

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?