SWFA SS 3-15x42 for Field Target?

Author Topic: SWFA SS 3-15x42 for Field Target?  (Read 201 times))

Offline Gear_Junkie

• Expert
SWFA SS 3-15x42 for Field Target?
« on: November 09, 2018, 03:16:20 PM »
Has anyone used the SWFA SS 3-15x42 for Field Target?  I'm mostly interested in how accurately it ranges using the side PA.  The small objective has me a little concerned that this scope has a wide depth of field, which would NOT be ideal.  I have read that the optics are fantastic, it's just the ranging that's a question.  I'm waffling between trying this or the new Hawke Sidewinder FFP.

Thanks!
  • Nevada City, CA
.177 Daystate Regal XL & Hawke Airmax 30 SF 6-24x50
.177 HW50S, Vortek 10fpe Kit, & UTG 3-12x44 Compact SWAT Rifle Scope

Offline Terry Vanpool

• Shooter
  • yes
Re: SWFA SS 3-15x42 for Field Target?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »
The SWFA 3-15 is a great scope and I bought one to try for FT. It will focus from 6m to infinity, has great glass, turrets are very tactile and repeatable. Everything a good Ft scope needs "except", at FT focus ranges (10 yds to 55 yds) it only has about 90 of rotation of the focus knob making it very difficult to focus accurately at airgun ranges.
Look at some of the FT match results. You won't see any SWFA scopes for a reason.
  • Mansfield, Texas

Offline Gear_Junkie

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:44:36 PM »
Thank you for this information Terry!  That's a good point about not seeing any SWFA's at matches.

Thanks!
  • Nevada City, CA

Offline 22Jim

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »
Zack, I had the exact experience that Terry had. I had high hopes for the scope and liked every thing about it until I mounted it on a FT rifle. It was probably the shortest test I ever had with a FT scope. I don't think I even finished marking my sidewheel tape. It now sits atop my 300 Win Mag.

I think the Hawke FFP will be an excellent FT scope. I used Hawke Scopes for many years in FT and was very happy with them.

Jim in Sacramento
  • Sacramento. CA

Offline Gear_Junkie

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »
Zack, I had the exact experience that Terry had. I had high hopes for the scope and liked every thing about it until I mounted it on a FT rifle. It was probably the shortest test I ever had with a FT scope. I don't think I even finished marking my sidewheel tape. It now sits atop my 300 Win Mag.

I think the Hawke FFP will be an excellent FT scope. I used Hawke Scopes for many years in FT and was very happy with them.

Jim in Sacramento

Thanks for the confirmation Jim!
  • Nevada City, CA

Offline Pardini

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »
Hi Zack, I guess there always has to be one odd ball in the crowd. That is my go to scope for field target. The SWFA 3-15x42 MOA second focal plane. Granted I do not shoot much field target. But that scope atop my Steyr has got me to place in the 3 events I shot this year. I have 2 backup FT guns, one has the new Hawke FFP and the other the AZTECH FFP, I would switch out both of them if I could find another SWFA. They discontinued that one about a year or so ago. Can't beat the glass & turrets on these scopes, plus I like the lower profile. I use a Nautilus side wheel from scope-werks. The only downside I have with it, is the hash lines are fairly fine and close together on the MOA model, so if the light is bad and you have a dark target with a dark kill zone, its a little challenging. If you can find a used MOA model for a decent price, you can't go wrong.  ;)
  • USA, AZ, Cave Creek

Offline Gear_Junkie

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »
Hi Zack, I guess there always has to be one odd ball in the crowd. That is my go to scope for field target. The SWFA 3-15x42 MOA second focal plane. Granted I do not shoot much field target. But that scope atop my Steyr has got me to place in the 3 events I shot this year. I have 2 backup FT guns, one has the new Hawke FFP and the other the AZTECH FFP, I would switch out both of them if I could find another SWFA. They discontinued that one about a year or so ago. Can't beat the glass & turrets on these scopes, plus I like the lower profile. I use a Nautilus side wheel from scope-werks. The only downside I have with it, is the hash lines are fairly fine and close together on the MOA model, so if the light is bad and you have a dark target with a dark kill zone, its a little challenging. If you can find a used MOA model for a decent price, you can't go wrong.  ;)

Anthony, how would you compare the ranging between those 3 scopes?
  • Nevada City, CA

Offline Pardini

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
Cant really give an educated opinion yet, as I have not worked with them enough as both scopes are fairly new and neither have been shot in competition. Plus I have to mark my side wheels for them. Don't really like big round side wheels and not sure I want to invest in Nautilus wheels for them yet. Problem is finding time to set up something new, then a match comes around and you always fall back to what your comfortable with and know it works. I think ranging with 16X scopes is tuff past 45 yards no matter what scope you use.
  • USA, AZ, Cave Creek

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.