Added lights to my Caldwell Ballistic Chrony

Author Topic: Added lights to my Caldwell Ballistic Chrony  (Read 425 times))

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Added lights to my Caldwell Ballistic Chrony
« on: October 20, 2018, 03:17:17 PM »
Just a little project to work on a hot afternoon.

I had been having a few 'errors' with this chrony, typically in the late afternoon which is when I usually shoot. Where I shoot from is under a shade tree and when the sun gets low It gets some 'dappled' sunlight which is probably the issue. I had seen another forum member had just stuck 'tap lights' on his chrony and the light went off.. if you pardon the pun.

20181020_123333 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Here is everything I needed. The chrony of course, some tape light (on the black spool) left over from previous projects, some wire, a couple of alligator clips, and a 9 volt battery.

20181020_124413 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
I soldered some wires (stripped from cat 5 cable that I have) onto the little copper pads of the tape light. Mind the polarity :)

20181020_125839 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
The tape light has a self adhesive on it so I just stuck it to the underside of the shades.

20181020_135748 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Wired it all together minding the polarity, put some Velcro on the 9V battery and that's about it.

20181020_135800 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Lights up nice and steady!

Does it work? No idea  ;D haven't tested it yet but it should. I will get a chance to try it out this afternoon once it's cooler and I will report back on its performance, and battery life.

They draw around 75ma so by my calculations it should be around 6 hours of battery life.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:23:44 PM by UlteriorModem »

Offline CraigH

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Added lights to my Caldwell Ballistic Chrony
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 04:54:01 PM »
Any arrangement that works is good.    I had first tried the blue HF puck lights but saw too many ERR's.   Since I use the chrony exclusively indoors, I went with an IR light set.   The fact that a double discount and free hat got it down to about $40 helped too.    :D
  • Lone Tree, Colorado
Craig

Beeman QB78D - Beeman P17 (2) - Beeman Chief
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
Benjamin Maximus Hunter
Benjamin Wildfire
CCS 2400KT; .22 14.6" LW barrel "Verminator"
Crosman 2250; Parts Pile Build with Extended Valve, Side Lever Breech
Crosman 2240; 3 Carbines, 1 Stock Pistol
Crosman 1322C; 18" Carbine, FTP, Steel Breech
Crosman 1377; Phase 2
Crosman 1077 - Crosman 2100B
Gamo Urban
Ruger Mark I
SPA PP700S-A .22
Umarex M712 - Umarex P.08

Vintage
Crosman 130 - 150 - 180 (2) - 600 (2) - Mark I - 38C; .22's
Hahn Super BB Repeat

Hand Pumps
Benjamin - Smoothest, but Most Effort
$38 Chinese Pump - Works Fine
Hill Mk4 - Quite Overpriced

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:01:18 PM »
I did not get a chance to test this today.

I waited till late afternoon, then rain, then it was time to cook some burgers on the grill. After that it was still raining. so, there is always tomorrow :D

Offline cobalt327

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 06:06:55 AM »
Any arrangement that works is good.    I had first tried the blue HF puck lights but saw too many ERR's.   Since I use the chrony exclusively indoors, I went with an IR light set.   The fact that a double discount and free hat got it down to about $40 helped too.    :D
I have lights that I'm guessing are similar to the HF lights you have, mine came from the bargain bins at WM. With mine I ended up getting the best results by using them on top of the diffusers, shining down through them.

ETA- It's a C E ProChrono Digital.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:09:14 AM by cobalt327 »
  • GA, USA

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
I have lights that I'm guessing are similar to the HF lights you have, mine came from the bargain bins at WM. With mine I ended up getting the best results by using them on top of the diffusers, shining down through them.

ETA- It's a C E ProChrono Digital.

I thought about that and may still go that route putting the lights on top of the diffuesers.

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »
Thought I should get back to this and report... it did not work. Error 3 every time :(

I will have to try it with the lights on top of the diffusers and get back to you.

Offline UlteriorModem

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 07:26:05 PM »
Well I got a chance to try it with the lights on top of the diffusers and now it works quite well.

2 dozen rounds, no errors, and it is a grey overcast day out.

Think I will re-do the entire thing to make it a little less sloppy.

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »
Great thread Tom. I'm glad it worked out for you.

I have the same unit and now I have more options to use it thanks to you.

Thanks for the updates and the idea.

Dennis
  • Denver, Colorado, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
You can view my gun list Here

Offline smythsg

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 09:21:03 PM »
I started out with the Harbor Freight blue LED lights on top of the diffuser and they worked ok, but switched to a slightly different style HF puck LED light and they work even better.
  • North Atlanta, Georgia
Current Hunting Buddies:
SPA M16 .25 cal; Hatsan 25 Supercharger Vortex .177; Airforce Condor .25 Ring-Loc Valve; Nova Liberty .22 cal

PCPs currently filled with 110 v Yong Heng Compressor

Others I have owned and enjoyed:
MrodAir M10; MrodAir P12; AirForce Escape; Hatsan Bullboss; Hatsan BT65 Elite; Hatsan BT65 QE; Hatsan 135; Umarex Octane .25 custom; FDPCP GEN1; FDPCP GEN2; ; Nitro Venom Dusk .177; Nitro Venom Dusk .22; Trail NP; Crosman Phantom; Crosman 1377

Offline Stinger177

• I think it's only at death that a guy goes from "Gotta have that" to "Don't need it".
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 09:59:43 PM »
HF - Is that High Frequency?

One puck centered over the arch, or multiples spread across?

Offline smythsg

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »
One puck centered over each arch works great for me
  • North Atlanta, Georgia
Current Hunting Buddies:
SPA M16 .25 cal; Hatsan 25 Supercharger Vortex .177; Airforce Condor .25 Ring-Loc Valve; Nova Liberty .22 cal

PCPs currently filled with 110 v Yong Heng Compressor

Others I have owned and enjoyed:
MrodAir M10; MrodAir P12; AirForce Escape; Hatsan Bullboss; Hatsan BT65 Elite; Hatsan BT65 QE; Hatsan 135; Umarex Octane .25 custom; FDPCP GEN1; FDPCP GEN2; ; Nitro Venom Dusk .177; Nitro Venom Dusk .22; Trail NP; Crosman Phantom; Crosman 1377

Offline Stinger177

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 10:20:41 PM »
One puck centered over each arch works great for me

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Offline d-cuttler

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 05:30:21 PM »
Here's mine.
12V automotive led strips off Ebay. Cost $6.49 pair. Wired them up in parallel and running off a home made regulated and filtered 1A 12v dc power supply. I built the power supply about 30 years ago for a ham radio project. Any 12v battery will work too.

These lights are very bright and the Competition Electronics DLX works great with them.
  • USA, CA, Oakland
Crosman Challenger
FAS 6004
Beeman P17 (2)
CZ Slavia 631
PP700SA
Diana 52 177
Norica Black Eagle 177

Offline 30harry

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:49:00 AM »
I used the same LED strip as you but put two rows on top of each difusser and staggered them.  I should probably try just one row like you so I don't need the plug in power supply to drive it and can just use the 9v battery.  Much more portable. 
  • USA, Missouri, Missouri
Experience can many times be a very painful instructor.

Offline nced

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
Just a little project to work on a hot afternoon.

I had been having a few 'errors' with this chrony, typically in the late afternoon which is when I usually shoot. Where I shoot from is under a shade tree and when the sun gets low It gets some 'dappled' sunlight which is probably the issue. I had seen another forum member had just stuck 'tap lights' on his chrony and the light went off.. if you pardon the pun.

20181020_123333 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Here is everything I needed. The chrony of course, some tape light (on the black spool) left over from previous projects, some wire, a couple of alligator clips, and a 9 volt battery.

20181020_124413 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
I soldered some wires (stripped from cat 5 cable that I have) onto the little copper pads of the tape light. Mind the polarity :)

20181020_125839 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
The tape light has a self adhesive on it so I just stuck it to the underside of the shades.

20181020_135748 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Wired it all together minding the polarity, put some Velcro on the 9V battery and that's about it.

20181020_135800 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Lights up nice and steady!

Does it work? No idea  ;D haven't tested it yet but it should. I will get a chance to try it out this afternoon once it's cooler and I will report back on its performance, and battery life.

They draw around 75ma so by my calculations it should be around 6 hours of battery life.

Thanks for looking!
For a while I used a light bulb above the sensors of my chrony for indoor work and in general it did OK. After moving to North Carolina I started setting the chrony on the roof of my sun room through a window at my "man attic" like this............

Well, a few years ago I bought a factory chrony light for my ProChrono and I've been using the light ever since with no errors as long as the muzzle is placed correctly...........

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: