Sometimes you just get lucky- Is there a nicer pumper than this?

Author Topic: Sometimes you just get lucky- Is there a nicer pumper than this?  (Read 1387 times))

Online 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
Sometimes you just get lucky- Is there a nicer pumper than this?
« on: September 25, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
I bought this gun in the Bay months ago and have lived with it a while now. Itís been consuming my shooting time.  Iíve posted it on the forum when I got it and through the testing of pellets and power. But after these months Iím starting to wonder if there is any pumper out there that really is better than this one?  I know, crazy claim but Iím curious if there really is something out there on this level of style and performance?

It attributes come from every part of it being customized. 
1. Base unit-  a 1998 Benjamin- Sheridan high polished nickel C9A - high polish nickel is striking.
2. Stock-  a custom high end walnut stock by Steve Corcoran - ebony trim - stippling- transforms the hold to feel like a fine rifle.
3. Mac-1 Steriod upgrade.  Milled extended pump rod, reworked valve, to easily push power to 20 FPE, with easily repairable cartridge. Little touches like milling the pellet probe to facilitate airflow.
4. Reworked trigger for very easy release.

Mac-1 said his work would be $225 and the stock now on Corcoranís website was over $600. All that into a $200 Rifle? What pumper competes with this? 

• Wooster, Ohio

Offline Iamscotticus

• Marksman
  • yes
Re: Sometimes you just get lucky- Is there a nicer pumper than this?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »
If I may ask the question, is there any other pumper that can be worked up to the same level as the Sheridan?  Or out of the box ready for the same price?
Granted, the Sheridan MAC-1 package isn't made in China.
  • Texas
Sitting on a park bench.
Eyeing little squirrels with bad intent.

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
You certainly have a nice gun there Steve...however, just about every other gun owner might feel the same about theirs. ;)
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
2-Prewar '42 312's, '68 312, '69 347, '82-'86 342 (checkered), '90 342 (non checkered), 2-'91 S392P's, '93 S397P, '93 397P, '95 S397P, '96 392PA (w/"P" trigger group), & a '53 137 pistol.
Dan's;
Several Vintage Silver & Blue Streaks, H9 & H9A, including a '69 Silver w/factory Williams.
Daisy's;
Most notable- 2-Model 21's, 882 w/factory Williams, 2-Golden Boys & 4 Golden Spikes, Christmas Dream 20,25,30,35, Model 1894's; RME, Win, Spittin Image, Limited Edition, 2-BBS, 2-NRA, Wells Fargo, Sealed Box 1894, 880's; 20th Anniv, Silver Anniv, Eldorado, & '71 model. Red Ryder signed by David Sanders, & 2 Pony Express.
Crosman;
'49 101
Favorite everyday backyard plinker '71 880. Easy to pump & the sweetest modified trigger.

Offline Frankly

• Plinker
  • yes
    • I have a NSFW website
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
I didn't realize a pumper could be that nice! It looks wonderful, congrats, easily worth the price.
  • Spencerport, NY
Please stick to email rather than phone calls, I don't chat.

Offline bantam5s

• Never call your shots, that way you will always hit where say you were aiming.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »
You certainly have a nice gun there Steve...however, just about every other gun owner might feel the same about theirs. ;)
Exactly.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
If you call your shots some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke.

Offline Paulus

• Sharp Shooter
  • pop goes the rattus rattus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:10:28 PM »
That is very regal! 
  • The dry side of Washington State.
A very pleasantly surprised member of the Daisy 880 club. Between my typing and auto correct I cant communicate.

If you havent tried RWS pellets in a while give them a try.

Online 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 02:41:00 AM »

I realized when I wrote this that this answer was possible.  Yes we all have our loves, guns are treasures for whatever reason, mine in the pumper catagory would be my 108, probably the last gun I would sell.  But my question was meant to be a legitimate one. Sentiment aside the above gun on its stock alone objectively eclipses the 108. Maybe the only objective way of asking this question is has anyone seen a pumper that cost more to produce?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:58:42 AM by 45flint »
  • Wooster, Ohio

Offline RBQChicken

• Sharp Shooter
  • The first time I hit it, I missed.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:04 AM »
There's no question in my mind, that's a keeper, Steve!
  • U.P. of MI

Offline Yng@hrt

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Benjaholic
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 09:22:03 AM »

I realized when I wrote this that this answer was possible.  Yes we all have our loves, guns are treasures for whatever reason, mine in the pumper catagory would be my 108, probably the last gun I would sell.  But my question was meant to be a legitimate one. Sentiment aside the above gun on its stock alone objectively eclipses the 108. Maybe the only objective way of asking this question is has anyone seen a pumper that cost more to produce?
You have something very special Steve. It certainly meets all the criteria for a truly special collectible; beauty, performance, & rarity, & above all, she was built by two of the best craftsman in the business. Be proud my friend! 
  • New Mexico
Benji's;
2-Prewar '42 312's, '68 312, '69 347, '82-'86 342 (checkered), '90 342 (non checkered), 2-'91 S392P's, '93 S397P, '93 397P, '95 S397P, '96 392PA (w/"P" trigger group), & a '53 137 pistol.
Dan's;
Several Vintage Silver & Blue Streaks, H9 & H9A, including a '69 Silver w/factory Williams.
Daisy's;
Most notable- 2-Model 21's, 882 w/factory Williams, 2-Golden Boys & 4 Golden Spikes, Christmas Dream 20,25,30,35, Model 1894's; RME, Win, Spittin Image, Limited Edition, 2-BBS, 2-NRA, Wells Fargo, Sealed Box 1894, 880's; 20th Anniv, Silver Anniv, Eldorado, & '71 model. Red Ryder signed by David Sanders, & 2 Pony Express.
Crosman;
'49 101
Favorite everyday backyard plinker '71 880. Easy to pump & the sweetest modified trigger.

Offline Smoketown

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:42:01 PM »
It's pretty but ... The cheek piece is on the wrong side!!   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown
  • Smoketown, PA
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
- George Orwell

Current Crop -
1965 Sheridan Blue Streak - She was my first "real airgun" - New in '66 ... I still have her!
Daisy 717 - 'bout 1984?
AA TX200 MK III - .177
AA S510 FAC - .177 - Regulated
NRA Life Member

Members Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067
No Registration - Just Your Zip Code

Offline mac

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 09:58:34 PM »
That is a beautiful gun Steve and even though I,m a novice at all of this,I would think it would be hard to top the combination of looks and performance.
  • IL

Online 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
It's pretty but ... The cheek piece is on the wrong side!!   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Just turn the other cheek? Ambidextrous
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 06:12:47 AM by 45flint »
  • Wooster, Ohio

Offline TerryM

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 10:55:04 PM »
  Stunning!  I like everything about it!
  • TX
Crosman model#
101, 108, 110, 112, 113, 114 (x3), 118,
120, 140, 160 (x2), 180 (x3), 187, 400 (x2),
Mark II, 1377, 1322, 122CG, Sears 126.19311
Benjamin model#
312, 342, 397P, 392, Discovery
Sheridan:
Blue Streak (x2: '64, '67)
F model CO2 Blue Streak (early production)

Offline Gertrude

• "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it."
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Hey LOOK ! ... I got a BULLSEYE ! ! !
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 11:01:07 PM »
I think I see a spec of dust on it.
Send it to me and I'll be happy to clean it off for you.
  • State of Confusion
HEY ! CHECK THIS OUT >>> FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND ON THE GTA MEMBERS MAP ! ! !

CLICK HERE
     https://www.zeemaps.com/group=962067 

Feel free to place your own marker on the map.
(for your own privacy, the marker should not be placed at your exact address). just place the marker within a few miles of your home.

USE YOUR GTA SCREEN NAME WHEN PLACING YOUR MAP MARKER...So when others find you on the map, they can send you a PM here through the forum.

Offline P. O. I.

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 11:36:45 AM »
When the question of "what one gun would you keep" comes up.  That would be my answer. 

As it has been said you get what you pay for.  I'll bet that wasn't an inexpensive win on the bay.

VERY very nice.  It puts my fanciest pumper back in line for sure. 

It even gets me rethinking about the steroid work on it....  IDK...

Treat her well.

• USA New England
Considering everything that's happend everything is just as it should be.

Offline airsenal

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 09:50:07 PM »
Very nice 'pumper'! I have seen some quite decent Benji/'dan and Crosman 1400 tricked or custom jobs over the years. Also some guys with Daystate Sportsmans,
Titan Mohawks, Sharp Ace Hunters/Pan Targets and maybe a few with ANA Quigleys  might think theirs are better, higher on the totem pole or whatever. You know how
it goes with cars, guns, etc.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:52:38 PM by airsenal »
  • Kansas City, MO 64118 U.S.A.

Online 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 12:07:35 AM »
Very nice 'pumper'! I have seen some quite decent Benji/'dan and Crosman 1400 tricked or custom jobs over the years. Also some guys with Daystate Sportsmans,
Titan Mohawks, Sharp Ace Hunters/Pan Targets and maybe a few with ANA Quigleys  might think theirs are better, higher on the totem pole or whatever. You know how

Thanks for reminding me of the name of Quigley cause I have seen this one before but could not remember it.  I would yield to this this one for sure, probably the best I have seen.
http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/quigley.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:45:18 AM by 45flint »
  • Wooster, Ohio

Offline TerryM

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »

Thanks for reminding me of the name of Quigley cause I have seen this one before but could remember it.  I would yield to this this one for sure, probably the best I have seen.

That is an awesome gun, very interesting read.
  • TX
Crosman model#
101, 108, 110, 112, 113, 114 (x3), 118,
120, 140, 160 (x2), 180 (x3), 187, 400 (x2),
Mark II, 1377, 1322, 122CG, Sears 126.19311
Benjamin model#
312, 342, 397P, 392, Discovery
Sheridan:
Blue Streak (x2: '64, '67)
F model CO2 Blue Streak (early production)

Online 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »

Thanks for reminding me of the name of Quigley cause I have seen this one before but could remember it.  I would yield to this this one for sure, probably the best I have seen.

There is also an English gentlemen who handbuilt some awesome Pumpers but canít remember his name.  His werenít as innovative just machined to perfection. 
  • Wooster, Ohio

Online 45flint

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »

Did some more research I guess at the end of development the gun was made non airconserving to simplify and was priced at close to $3000.  He could get no one interesting in manufacturing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:49:38 AM by 45flint »
  • Wooster, Ohio

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: