What do people do with coyotes?

Author Topic: What do people do with coyotes?  (Read 934 times))

Offline DKG

• Shooter
  • yes
Re: What do people do with coyotes?
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »

Don, now it's mountain lion sightings (hundreds) that NY and CT states refuse to acknowledge.  They are waiting for someone to get seriously hurt by one to finally admit they planted them in our backyards.

BTW, I worked on King St. in Rye Brook, NY for a few months while going to school in the mid-80's, and across the street was Greenwich, CT.  King St. separated NY and CT for a few miles.  I was in a spot between Purchase, Port Chester, and Greenwich :)  We had beaver, fox and all kinds of animals in the woods behind the building I worked at.  There was a lot of wildlife there back then, and that was primarily because most towns in the area (ie: most of Westchester county) did not allow the discharge of firearms, so the pressure from hunters was almost non-existent.  Thank god I only worked there.

Harry
[/quote]
 My aunt's neighbor has one on his trail camera in a field across the street. But people think he just faked the picture (I am in Oswego county) she has been advised by him to keep the dogs on leashes and stay out with them. He also suggested to keep a gun handy since they do live outside of town limits.
  • Cleveland, New York
Current Airguns:                     
Daisy 880 (pest count-2)       
Crosman 760 (pest count-1)    
Benjamin Maximus Hunter

Offline Hayfoot

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
I mean, you expect to see coyotes in rural areas, but actually here in the Los Angeles area it's been in the NEWS lately for several days that a pack of 5 to 7 coyotes has been roaming the culver city area taking out pets.  Culver city!  downtown los angeles!  skyscraper, concrete, freeways.. and a pack of coyotes.  maybe the latest fires have driven them into the populated areas.
M
  • Whittier, Calif, USA
.22 Marauder Rifle by Tim Hill, SWFA-SS 3-15.42, DonnyFL Sumo
Awaiting: EVOL .22

Offline dv8eod

• Just another
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
PBS did a show about coyotes, or maybe red wolves, and how they got around using train tracks in the Chicago area and others. They had film on them walking down the middle of the streets in neighborhoods raiding pet dishes, etc. They also talked about the pack in Central Park. These are heavily populated areas. The fires may have sped up the process of them moving into LA, but I'm willing to bet there were a few already there before the fires started.
The program is under their Nature series and can be seen on their website.
  • South Carolina
Gamo Whisper .177- OleTomCat Tuned   Daisy Model 102
Crosman/Umarex Nighthawk .177      Benjamin Model 262 .22 Rocket
Crosman 1600 Powermatic     Chinese Sea Lion B-1 .177
Benjamin WoodsWalker .22     Evanix Tactical Sniper .45- Will Piatt tuned
Crosman 2040 .20    Gamo Viper Express Shotgun
Crosman 1377 .177 Carbine      Brocock Compatto .177
MrodAir CP-1M .177                  Kalibrgun Cricket Carbine .25
Air Ordnance SMG .22     Ataman AP-16 .22

Offline Horatio

• Expert
  • Us Italians build important stuff.
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 02:24:43 PM »
I mean, you expect to see coyotes in rural areas, but actually here in the Los Angeles area it's been in the NEWS lately for several days that a pack of 5 to 7 coyotes has been roaming the culver city area taking out pets.  Culver city!  downtown los angeles!  skyscraper, concrete, freeways.. and a pack of coyotes.  maybe the latest fires have driven them into the populated areas.
M

They were already there. I've seen coyotes a few times in Lakewood (1,500sqft homes on 5,000sqft lots, cookie cutter post WWII developed).
  • Lakewood CA
No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.

Offline kbstingwing

• Expert Plinker
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2018, 01:21:41 AM »
M
they've been there for decades, you just never see them, most people in the city can't tell the difference between a dog and a Coyote so they never report it, My Uncle lived there in Culver city back in the early 70's, he had them going through his back yard at night, they were eating all the cats, I bet if you stay up late enough and go downtown, you will see all sorts of critters poking around, Raccoons use the sewers to travel along with the Rats, and Possums use the utility lines and brick walls as their super highway, did you know that in the middle of Riverside off Tyler and California st, there is a hill that has a Cougar Den, my brother seen a female with cubs there, the locals know about them and they call it Cougar hill.
 here's a picture of a coyote my game camera caught in my back yard, I live in a very populated area of Vista ca, north San Diego county, they are all over the place, I do warn neighbors but most don't listen.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 01:29:09 AM by kbstingwing »
  • California, Vista
Varmints Beware, you'll be "Lucky if I'm out of Air"
Beeman HW100 T FSB .20
AirForce Texan .45
Walther 1250 Dominator .177
Benjamin Marauder Gen II .22 w/ LW barrel by JG
Benjamin 392PA .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20 Steroided
Crossman 1377 Pistol .177
Sam Yang Sumatra 2500 .22
Nardi USA Atlantic GAS 4500 Air compressor

Offline Horatio

• Expert
  • Us Italians build important stuff.
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2018, 01:31:12 AM »
I donít warn neighbors. Iíve driven by a pair of yotes, then driven by the sheeple walking their tiny dog one block down. I chuckled to myself.

Once society goes so far into willful ignorance about fatherhood, gender dysphoria, zero sum wealth... no point.
  • Lakewood CA
No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.

Offline Sqrl Klr

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Mercy for none!
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
The coyotes I have around don't bother me as I enjoy hearing them at night, plus they keep my rabbit population in check. I do wonder if coyotes are known to eat hogs or young hogs. If I killed a coyote I'd leave it in the woods for other coyotes to eat but hogs and many other critters will eat them too.

Interesting posts about donkeys since I didn't know that about them. My neighbor has a couple of them along with some cattle and horses where I always giggle when I hear them braying.

Offline Mod90

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
The coyotes I have around don't bother me as I enjoy hearing them at night, plus they keep my rabbit population in check. I do wonder if coyotes are known to eat hogs or young hogs. If I killed a coyote I'd leave it in the woods for other coyotes to eat but hogs and many other critters will eat them too.

Interesting posts about donkeys since I didn't know that about them. My neighbor has a couple of them along with some cattle and horses where I always giggle when I hear them braying.

They do, with a preference for the young ones primarily. Too much risk & work involved in trying to take down a full grown boar for a lone songdog or even a pair to try it.
  • Trinidad and Tobago
Current guns:.177 BT65SB (aka Big sexy)

Offline Sqrl Klr

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Mercy for none!
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 01:27:56 PM »
Do coyotes only attack small hogs by themselves or will they also attack small hogs when the sow is there to help defend? I've never heard of let alone seen footage of coyotes attacking hogs but I'm sure glad to hear they do because hogs do a lot of damage to my place at times. I've heard coyotes yelling excitedly sometimes as if celebrating around their kill. If so I hope it was hogs that I heard them sounding so happy about. 

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 02:24:12 PM »
I don't think the coyote's would go anywhere near a small/young hog with the sow around, unless it was so small they can sneak up on them, snatch it with one bite, and run away with it.  The thing is the baby hog would squeal loudly and the sow would give chase, and other hogs might join her too, in which case the coyote would probably drop it.  From the many videos I 've watched on youtube wild hogs seem to have pretty good stamina.

Harry
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Umarex M&P45
Remington NPSS .22,  Crosman 2240
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T

Offline Sqrl Klr

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Mercy for none!
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »
I'd tend to agree with that as it makes sense. Yes they can run up to at least 30mph for short bursts and they're migratory with good memories remembering honey hole spots and traveling up to 20 miles a day during migration I've heard. What I don't like is them staying on my property for a couple months at a time tearing it up before leaving elsewhere. Nothing quite brings such pleasure as hearing one squealing during death from being shot because of it. I hate them with a passion after all the ground I've had to fix because of them plus they get people killed on the roads in collisions and near misses. Dude got killed right in front of my home swerving to miss one and crashing in the ditch last year. More people need to hunt hogs.

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.