Pyramyd Air
Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets

Author Topic: Taipan Veteran Standard .25 vs FX Wildcat MK2/Compact and other bullpups  (Read 6367 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline Dairyboy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NUAH Master and LOVE to fish!
Re: Taipan Veteran Standard .25 vs FX Wildcat MK2/Compact and other bullpups
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2018, 01:51:21 AM »
Any luck with Nick's slugs?

Yeah they were one hole on my 25 yard range at the house. I took it to the range and at 50 yards they opened up to 2 inches, and at 100 yards I could not hit paper. I think they were spiraling. I didn't take my pins with me, so I couldn't adjust power at the range, I was set a bit below max power at 31fpe, which is what I keep it at for JSB 18gr.

One of these days soon, I'll be at the range to shoot the winnie some more, and I'll try again, set to 35-38fpe, and see if that helps stabilize them.

Thanks for that info!

Any luck with Nick's slugs?

Exactly the same title of a post I did few days ago... I'm really curious about this for my Veteran .25

Shot 15 shots at 55yds with the 39gr and they were all under an inch. More to test but very promising
  • Outlook, WA
John 3:16

.177 1701P Mini Carbine w/ Bushnell TRS-25
.22 HW50S
.22 Mrod Gen1 w/ Discovery 10x44 HD
.22 AAA EVOL Tac w/ Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44

Offline SvilenP

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »
Hi friends again,
I am already on the final line and ask for the last (I promise!) For advice:

I have the following three options in front of me because only from Balistas (Czech Republic) can I take Taipan without a customs charge (+ $415  >:( ):

1. Taipan Veteran Long 6,35mm Laminate
https://www.balistas.com/air-rifles/taipan-air-rifles/taipan-veteran-standart-635mm-laminate/
High is the price: 1 329.4 € + 16 € transport and honestly (not that the others are cheap ...) but they also wrote to me that for the moment they will not load / sell another option at 6.35 / .25 ...

Also, it seems to me pretty heavy for a bullpup - 3.9 kilograms + Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 MIL = 839.15 grams = 10.45 pounds  :o ... I find it too heavy for me to shoot in a straight line and walk long in the mountain ... :(

2. Taipan Veteran Standard 5.5mm
https://www.balistas.com/air-rifles/taipan-air-rifles/taipan-veteran-55mm/
The price is: 1 251.0 € + 16 € transport which is acceptable as an amount ... The difference is not big compared to this price in .25 but for the difference I can buy another need ...

The weight is: 3.2 kilograms + 839.15 grams optics = 8.91 pounds which is different from 10.45 => 1.54 pounds ...

The bad thing for me is that I wanted the rifle to be in .25 caliber but what I can buy is very heavy in my opinion and expensive as a price because of the laminate. I wanted Standard but will not sell ... >:( :'(

Another Brand as a Possible Purchase Option:
3. Calibrgun Cricket Mini Carabine 5.5mm ???
https://www.balistas.com/air-rifles/kalibrgun-air-rifles/kalibrgun-cricket-mini-carabine-55mm/

Price: 1 274.1 € + 16 € transport which is also acceptable as an amount ...
Weight is: 3.24 kilograms of rifle + 839.15 grams optics = 8.99 pounds which is different from 10.45 => 1.46 pounds ...

I know the brand is known as very good but I do not know anything about this model ... but as a size and price comes into my budget.

Taipan likes like reviews and data but I hope a lot of advice? :-[

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:17:53 PM by SvilenP »
  • Bulgaria, Gabrovo

Offline Orion

• Expert
  • the Iguana Hunter
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2018, 09:39:17 PM »
Hi friends again,
I am already on the final line and ask for the last (I promise!) For advice:

I have the following three options in front of me because only from Balistas (Czech Republic) can I take Taipan without a customs charge (+ $415  >:( ):

1. Taipan Veteran Long 6,35mm Laminate
https://www.balistas.com/air-rifles/taipan-air-rifles/taipan-veteran-standart-635mm-laminate/
High is the price: 1 329.4 € + 16 € transport and honestly (not that the others are cheap ...) but they also wrote to me that for the moment they will not load / sell another option at 6.35 / .25 ...

Also, it seems to me pretty heavy for a bullpup - 3.9 kilograms + Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 MIL = 839.15 grams = 10.45 pounds  :o ... I find it too heavy for me to shoot in a straight line and walk long in the mountain ... :(

2. Taipan Veteran Standard 5.5mm
https://www.balistas.com/air-rifles/taipan-air-rifles/taipan-veteran-55mm/
The price is: 1 251.0 € + 16 € transport which is acceptable as an amount ... The difference is not big compared to this price in .25 but for the difference I can buy another need ...

The weight is: 3.2 kilograms + 839.15 grams optics = 8.91 pounds which is different from 10.45 => 1.54 pounds ...

The bad thing for me is that I wanted the rifle to be in .25 caliber but what I can buy is very heavy in my opinion and expensive as a price because of the laminate. I wanted Standard but will not sell ... >:( :'(

Another Brand as a Possible Purchase Option:
3. Calibrgun Cricket Mini Carabine 5.5mm ???
https://www.balistas.com/air-rifles/kalibrgun-air-rifles/kalibrgun-cricket-mini-carabine-55mm/

Price: 1 274.1 € + 16 € transport which is also acceptable as an amount ...
Weight is: 3.24 kilograms of rifle + 839.15 grams optics = 8.99 pounds which is different from 10.45 => 1.46 pounds ...

I know the brand is known as very good but I do not know anything about this model ... but as a size and price comes into my budget.

Taipan likes like reviews and data but I hope a lot of advice? :-[

Thanks in advance!

Can you order from Krale? You just said that if you order from any other place other than balistas you have to paid $415 import fee? You have other options and I don't see them all at that balistas site.

Edgun is from rusia, but he said that they have representatives in Bulgaria (http://www.edgun.ru/representativeseng.html)
Vulcan is also from Czech  Republic
you can also try a lower end bullpup but really good IMO, the Artemis P15 (around $500) you can find some reviews of it on the internet, I'm suggesting the P15 because it might be a pretty good first gun.

Funny thing is that most of the best bullpups are done closer to you than from me in the US, but for some odd reason is harder for you to adquire them.

Hope this helps, let us know...
  • USA, FL, Ft. Lauderdale
Nova Liberty .22
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .22

Offline SvilenP

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »
Hello friends,
Orion I know these sites and many colleagues here in Bulgaria buy from there but there is no Taipan.

I know Natalia. Ed relies on her because, as far as I know, she has property on our Black Sea, but in practice it is hard to understand her ...

It is "funny" but it is a fact - nothing in practice can we buy for Bulgaria from Russia and the former republics ...

The amount of $415 will be my duty if I buy the rifle from outside the EU >:(

I've studied the KalibrGun Mini Carabine .22… I like it very much, but I understand that .22 (.25 is not available) is quite weak – 40 – 42 joules.

I looked at KalibrGun bullpups, not bad, but they are expensive for me …

I also looked at Artemis P15 and Vulcan, but I do not like …

So I go back to my original choice – Taipan :)

But I have to solve this unpleasant dilemma for me – Heavy and expensive as a price Taipan Veteran Long laminate .25 or the cheap and light Taipan Veteran Standard .22 …

My choice is difficult as I already wrote because the desired Taipan Veteran Standard 25 will not be sold :(

Is there anyone who can tell me if there is a Taipan Veteran Long .25?

Greetings.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:12:19 PM by SvilenP »
  • Bulgaria, Gabrovo

Offline miksatx

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »
None of the US dealers are offering longs in.25 just .22.
  • USA, TX, San Antonio

Offline SvilenP

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »
Thank you, colleague,
I was wrong to say ... I mean if someone has a Taipan Veteran Long .25?
  • Bulgaria, Gabrovo

Offline SvilenP

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
Hello again,
For information only - Taipan Veteran Long 25 at Balistas.com has a CZ barrel which makes me strange because I have always (think) in 25 caliber with LW barrel?

Asking something else even though it is not on this topic - is the new X barrel at FX like the old ST at which if I decide to shoot with slugs instead of the usual JSB should I buy a new barrel special for slugs?

Greetings.
  • Bulgaria, Gabrovo

Offline Orion

• Expert
  • the Iguana Hunter
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »
Hello again,
For information only - Taipan Veteran Long 25 at Balistas.com has a CZ barrel which makes me strange because I have always (think) in 25 caliber with LW barrel?

Asking something else even though it is not on this topic - is the new X barrel at FX like the old ST at which if I decide to shoot with slugs instead of the usual JSB should I buy a new barrel special for slugs?

Greetings.

Hi Svilen

It's my understanding as you said that the .25 Taipan uses LW barrel, I've never seen a .25 barrel with CZ barrel but being the case that will be sweet.

Also it's my understanding that FX is working on a liner special designed for slugs. They are working with Matt Dubber on this. The new X barrel was optimized around JSB pellets, but you might be able to shoot some slugs from it, but it was not optimized for it.
Nova Liberty .22
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .22

Offline Tonykarter

• Crappie Savant
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
  Not to my knowledge, but I am pretty sure somebody is building one right now.  And one in .20!
  • East Texas:  Snuff Gully, Surrounded by the Big Thicket Preserve

Offline Orion

• Expert
  • the Iguana Hunter
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2018, 11:42:17 PM »
And talking about this, this is a great video where Matt talk about a bit of everything, including slugs and barrels

Nova Liberty .22
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .22

Offline SvilenP

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2018, 12:53:24 AM »
https://www.balistas.com/air-rifles/taipan-air-rifles/taipan-veteran-standart-635mm-laminate/ the second picture of the top row.

Thanks for the video I will see now.
  • Bulgaria, Gabrovo

Offline SvilenP

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2018, 12:55:25 AM »
  Not to my knowledge, but I am pretty sure somebody is building one right now.  And one in .20!
Excuse me, but I did not understand what you mean?
  • Bulgaria, Gabrovo

Offline Orion

• Expert
  • the Iguana Hunter
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2018, 07:49:14 AM »
You are right, .25 with the CZ barrell. Also I’ve never seen one laminated so this must be a newer version. That is a Unicorn.
Nova Liberty .22
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .22

Offline SvilenP

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »
Hello not to be bad but if it was Standard I would have taken it almost immediately ...
  • Bulgaria, Gabrovo

Offline Orion

• Expert
  • the Iguana Hunter
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »
Hello not to be bad but if it was Standard I would have taken it almost immediately ...

The long might have an advantage on shout count for .25 because the bigger air reservoir. I think shout count vs weight is what you should evaluate... I'll value more shot count but that's just me....
Nova Liberty .22
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .22

Offline SvilenP

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
Yeah more and more I think I do not think very wisely ...

I look for brands, models, sizes, weight, barrel length, barrel type and brand, power, etc, but I do not think enough about the number of shots ...

For "the moment" I still have a pump option because I do not have enough room for a compressor in my home and because I have to buy a bottle besides a compressor, both of which - the compressor and the bottle will worsen my budget and so on...But I do not think how much big air will be pumped into the rifle and then what state will I be in order to shoot ...

Of course a large volume of the rifle bottle will give me more shots but pump pumping will be madness ... Obviously, I have to choose either a small caliber rifle (22) with a smaller tank so I can use a pump and still have more shots or take a larger caliber (25) rifle and tank but take a compressor and a bottle.

It is a rather unpleasant dilemma, mostly to financial means and my desire for a bigger caliber ... but that is the reality and I have to decide. Naturally more shots are preferable.

I watched the video and, despite my bad English, I realized that Matt and FX were developing the "idea" of slugs and the barrels of FX. That's fine, of course.

I want as much as possible to buy a rifle that shoots almost equally well with pellets and slugs. Naturally, I understand that this can not be 100% because there is no universal barrel for the two types of ammo, but on the other hand I do not think to shoot both types permanently and most of the time I will shoot with JSB and H&N.

That's why I turned to Taipan instead of FX and also most people advise me that this choice will be better and I can also use pellets and slugs just about as well ...

Now I have to decide on what I think is 22 or 25 = a pump or a compressor and a bottle ...
  • Bulgaria, Gabrovo

Offline Dairyboy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NUAH Master and LOVE to fish!
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2018, 02:25:06 PM »
If I had the choice of a CZ barreled .25 long I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

However hand pumping I'd stick with a .22 for sure.
  • Outlook, WA
John 3:16

.177 1701P Mini Carbine w/ Bushnell TRS-25
.22 HW50S
.22 Mrod Gen1 w/ Discovery 10x44 HD
.22 AAA EVOL Tac w/ Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44

Offline Orion

• Expert
  • the Iguana Hunter
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2018, 02:48:40 PM »
I hand pump my .25, and I'm getting 55 shots out of it. Now, I don't use it for plinking, my gun is mainly used for hunting. What I want to say is that I don't use the 55 shots all at once, I can use it for 10 or 20 shots and I can handpump at the end, I'm not feeling the need yet for a tank.

Now, if I want to use this rifle for plinking, the pump is a hassle, that's why for plinking I have the springers
Nova Liberty .22
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .22

Offline Tonykarter

• Crappie Savant
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »

IN A HEARTBEAT!  If I could purchase a .25 Long that had a CZ barrel on it I'd buy it in a New York minute.  I HAVE a Vet Standard in .25 with a LW barrel.  Someone please post a link to the Long in CZ .25.  I'll sell my .25 LW Standard tomorrow if I can get a CZ Long .25.  I have a Long in CZ .22, and it is lights out accurate.  I AM A BELIEVER in CZ!
  • East Texas:  Snuff Gully, Surrounded by the Big Thicket Preserve

Offline Orion

• Expert
  • the Iguana Hunter
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »

IN A HEARTBEAT!  If I could purchase a .25 Long that had a CZ barrel on it I'd buy it in a New York minute.  I HAVE a Vet Standard in .25 with a LW barrel.  Someone please post a link to the Long in CZ .25.  I'll sell my .25 LW Standard tomorrow if I can get a CZ Long .25.  I have a Long in CZ .22, and it is lights out accurate.  I AM A BELIEVER in CZ!

Trade with Svilen, he is dying for your .25 standard :)
Nova Liberty .22
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .22