pre-match sighting in

Author Topic: pre-match sighting in  (Read 398 times))

Online rong1966

• Shooter
  • yes
pre-match sighting in
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
I have been shooting field target for about two years now with mediocre success and wonder what I should be doing during warmup before a match.  I usually practice the evening before a match to check my zero and test my numbers (I shoot open pcp).  Then before the match I will shoot at some of the spinners at 30 yards (my zero distance) and if I hit more than miss I'll stop, usually about 20 pellets.  This is not really working for me since I shot a miserable score at the last match and am just over a fifty per cent shooter.  I have my scope distances marked well, and I have my elevation adjustments pretty solid, but I can't seem to put it all together at match time.  There are paper targets set at different distances at sight-in so should I be checking my elevation and windage with these and adjust them?  Sorry if these are basic questions, but I would like to improve!
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Offline Kerndtc

• Marksman
  • 2018 WFTC Piston Champion Team Member
Re: pre-match sighting in
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
I have been shooting field target for about two years now with mediocre success and wonder what I should be doing during warmup before a match.  I usually practice the evening before a match to check my zero and test my numbers (I shoot open pcp).  Then before the match I will shoot at some of the spinners at 30 yards (my zero distance) and if I hit more than miss I'll stop, usually about 20 pellets.  This is not really working for me since I shot a miserable score at the last match and am just over a fifty per cent shooter.  I have my scope distances marked well, and I have my elevation adjustments pretty solid, but I can't seem to put it all together at match time.  There are paper targets set at different distances at sight-in so should I be checking my elevation and windage with these and adjust them?  Sorry if these are basic questions, but I would like to improve!

What's your equipment?

Gun, mounts, scope, do you use a jacket or harness and what kind of accuracy does this provide?

Just so we have a baseline.

the day before a match I generally check my 25-yard zero at home. If I have time I will check it at 10 yards and 55 yards as well. When I get to a match I will shoot my zero make any adjustments if needed after the gun has warmed up (shooting a Springer) then I will shoot at 55 yards and 10 yards to see if my adjustment  was correct and if my numbers are still good.

If the match is held at a different elevation, humidity, or temperature than your home you may have different numbers.

How do you get your data for your gun? Are you using chairgun or are you doing real world data shooting each distance and recording your holdovers or clicks.

Once your hard numbers are acquired shoot at different distances to test yourself and your numbers. When you sit and shoot you are depriving yourself of real-world field Target scenarios. You should have a Target that is stationary so you are able to get up and move around two random distances and then sit back down and get into position for practice.

If your numbers are good and you are able to be stable enough to achieve good accuracy then it's just holding for wind if needed and pulling the trigger.

• Galt, CA
2018 WFTC Poland Team Champion
2018 WFTC Poland 10th Place Individual

Home Club:

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline Frank in Fairfield

• "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:06:36 PM »
All of the comments by Cameron are good, except one......
Do not make any adjustments to your scope unless you are shooting at an altitude significantly different then the one where you sighted in your rifle.

I remember a few years ago I was shooting with the gang at Ione (just before we met up with Cameron). I was shooting the TX200.

Forgetting that Ione ALWAYS has unpredictable winds, during the sight-in period, I made some adjustments to my scope. This resulted in the printed Chairgun data I had becoming useless.

50 shot course....I scored 9

Immediately after the match I checked my zero and returned the scope knobs to zero (Hawke Sidewinder).

Four of us, including the current reining National Hunter FT Champion and the reining National Opening FT Champion (at that time) decided to do some plinking at 75 yards or so, at some silhouette chickens.

I went first. I had no drop data for 75 yards so I just held up a bit.

Down she went.

One of the match directors commented, “Score a 9 and then drop your first chicken at 75 yards???”

It was fluke?

Nope did it again.

The moral of this story?

Trust your data.

Do not make any changes (unless you are at a significantly different altitude).

Believe in yourself..

Good luck..

Doves tomorrow..

• Fairfield, CA, USA
AA TX200 MKIII, .177
Baikal IZH46M w/Steve Corcoran Furniture
Beeman R1, San Rafael, .177
Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak, Williams Peep
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .177 w/Boyd's Stock
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .22   w/Boyd’s Stock
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .25   w/TEREX Stock
Crosman 1720T, Alchemy AirWerks Grips & Forearm
Crosman 2300S
Daisy Model 25, Variant #7
Daisy Red Ryder
FWB300S
HW35E, .177, Beeman/Williams Peep/12fpe VORTEK
RWS Diana 52, .177
Bug-a-Salt

Offline Kerndtc

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »
All of the comments by Cameron are good, except one......
Do not make any adjustments to your scope unless you are shooting at an altitude significantly different then the one where you sighted in your rifle.

I remember a few years ago I was shooting with the gang at Ione (just before we met up with Cameron). I was shooting the TX200.

Forgetting that Ione ALWAYS has unpredictable winds, during the sight-in period, I made some adjustments to my scope. This resulted in the printed Chairgun data I had becoming useless.

50 shot course....I scored 9

Immediately after the match I checked my zero and returned the scope knobs to zero (Hawke Sidewinder).

Four of us, including the current reining National Hunter FT Champion and the reining National Opening FT Champion (at that time) decided to do some plinking at 75 yards or so, at some silhouette chickens.

I went first. I had no drop data for 75 yards so I just held up a bit.

Down she went.

One of the match directors commented, “Score a 9 and then drop your first chicken at 75 yards???”

It was fluke?

Nope did it again.

The moral of this story?

Trust your data.

Do not make any changes (unless you are at a significantly different altitude).

Believe in yourself..

Good luck..

Doves tomorrow..

Frank,

I adjust my turrets almost every time I travel to any different venue. It's generally only 2-4 clicks at 1/8 moa, but I only do it after the gun has settled in after 15-20 shots if I'm consistently off my zero.

Not saying it's for everyone, but I do it often.
  • Galt, CA

Home Club:

Online rong1966

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »
I've got a budget setup--Maximus with Tac Vector 10-40-x50.  I get my click numbers from shooting targets with horizontal lines at different distances--every 5 yards from 15-55 and then a couple of distances between  10 and 15.  I don't use a harness.  I get my data and zero from using  a shooting bag on the bench--should I get them from my shooting position instead?  And if I am warming up before a match and notice that my windage is off, should I adjust or go with what I have practiced with the day before?  Thanks!
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Offline Kerndtc

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 04:16:55 PM »
I've got a budget setup--Maximus with Tac Vector 10-40-x50.  I get my click numbers from shooting targets with horizontal lines at different distances--every 5 yards from 15-55 and then a couple of distances between  10 and 15.  I don't use a harness.  I get my data and zero from using  a shooting bag on the bench--should I get them from my shooting position instead?  And if I am warming up before a match and notice that my windage is off, should I adjust or go with what I have practiced with the day before?  Thanks!

What a fun setup.

Your methods of getting your nunbers are fine.

Now the questions start,

Has your gun been tuned? If so what's been done, and how many shots at what extreme spread are you getting.

The factory triggers are sub par but with a few screws, some polishing of the sears and hammer make it a lot better.

What kind of accuracy are you getting off the bench at 25 yards and 55 yards?

I used to compete with a Discovery, and had good results. They just require a lot of tuning to be a competitive gun.

They are really light as well, they don't have a lot of natural stability. Do you have a hamspter/ knee shelf on it?

Getting your data from a bench is fine, as long as you can confirm that your gun shoots the same from bench to positional shooting. With my pcps I would get my numbers using a bench and then test in position.

What scope rings are you using?

The tac vector, how long have you had it, they have a gen 1 and a gen 2, the tubes are of different construction. Gen 2 is thicker and is a little stronger. With the Gen 1 I recommend a 1 piece mount, or a 1 piece base with rings on top. You can tell the difference by the reticle, and the Gen 1 has the ability to adjust the focus on the objective.

The picture attached is my beeman pistol with BKL risers to a one piece scope mount. This helps stabilize the scope while it's attached to the breech.
  • Galt, CA

Home Club:

Online rong1966

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 05:48:14 PM »
I have done the two screw mod and lighter trigger mod; I also squeezed the sear spring to make it lighter.  I added a power adjuster and softer spring and get 16-18 shots under a 4% extreme spread shooting AA 10.3s at an 890 average velocity.  I use the high scope rings that came with the Tac Vector which I bought right before Christmas. How is the reticle different between the gen 1 and 2?  At 25 yards I get half-inch groups and probably just over one inch at 55  yards.  I was shooting over my arm, but it did not feel steady so I recently attached a small sandbag to the gun to shoot it off my knee with so so results.  I probably spend too much time shooting off the bench and not enough time sitting.
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Offline 22Jim

• Plinker
  • yes
    • Sacramento Valley Airgun Club
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
Quote from: rong1966
At 25 yards I get half-inch groups and probably just over one inch at 55  yards.

I probably spend too much time shooting off the bench and not enough time sitting.

Your gun is accurate enough to be competitive, the last sentence above is probably the root of your problem. Practicing off a bench does nothing to help your FT prowess. In your original post you mention you shoot spinners in warm up at 30 yds and if you hit more than you miss you call it good. The top FT shooters will hit about 99% of their shots at their zero range. I shoot off a bench about twice a year, almost all my practice shots are from my FT position (Hunter). FT is not an easy to master shooting sport so don't get discouraged. Practice shooting from your FT position, develop confidence in your dope and learn to break clean shots. Things will get better. There is a lot of good advice people have given you in this post, apply some of it and you will see some improvement.

Jim in Sacramento
  • Sacramento. CA

Online rong1966

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice.
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Offline Kerndtc

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 01:51:29 PM »
Here are the two reticles pictured.

The Gen 1 is small with 1/2 mil
Gen 2 is larger with more holding points

Sorry for the image quality.

It sounds like you have a good setup, just that you need to practice a little more in position to start getting more consistent.
  • Galt, CA

Home Club:

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "EXPERIENCE" ... Our Reward For Lifes Mistakes
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »
You have gotten some VERY sound advise as I personally know & shoot with Both Kerndtc and 22Jim  ;D

If there was something to add, it would be the practice of CONSISTENCY of every time you address a target you do so EXACTLY THE SAME .... establish the same shooting position best as possible,  Shoulder and hold the gun Exactly the same, get a natural point of aim and follow threw after breaking a shot EVERY TIME not so much as flinching until target is struck !

This in practice miens .. NO BENCH SHOOTING but actually getting your practice shooting how you will at a match EVERY TIME  ;)

* bench shooting is fine when chasing accuracy potential of a given gun, but does nothing for your score if your not as stable or confident while in the FT position  ;)

Scott
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Offline Pistoleer

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »
I'm taking notes!

Just my two cents, shooting hunter class pcp, 16X max mag. - 19 ft lbs ( gotta love the forgiveness factor that comes with speed!)

My match warm up replicates the practice I do the day before. I've a couple of targets from 55 back to 25, and then an old fashioned box with a long string to work the box back to me. It allows me to re-work on the holdovers (unders), again, as I can't click. 

The day of the matches specific lighting seems to affect my ranging on the closer targets, so refreshing my eyes to what 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 yards looks like through the scope is very important for my consistency.
It also lets me see if I overlooked a distance confilct the day before...  like where two different ranges have the same hold over on my range card when they clearly should be different.

Looking out to 55 yards or so, even though the mirages aren't as intense as they might be later in the morning, seems to tune the eye a little as well. I try to observe the tricks the mirage and wind is doing, at least on that lane.

It's probably all psychological,  but I'd take prescription placebo's, if they work to cure me? 

• CA, Concord
Martin O'

Offline d.lead.slinger

• N.U.A.H. - Expert
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 06:11:37 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice.

I think it might be that you get paired with Benny each match!
Sorry... I just couldn't resist when I realized it was you!
On a serious note, from comments made, I noticed the last match you attended that your longer yardages (40-55) was off a little. Could be worth looking into!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:21:57 PM by d.lead.slinger »
  • Louisiana
Happiest when squeezing a trigger!

.25 Taipan Veteran
.22 Custom Mrod
.22 Gamo Urban
.177 Beeman P17
.177 PP700S-A
.177 Ruger Blackhawk Elite

Online rong1966

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
Thanks, David!
  • Baton Rouge, LA

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: