Crosman 2240.. upgrade journey. Thanks for the help all.

Author Topic: Crosman 2240.. upgrade journey. Thanks for the help all.  (Read 824 times))

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
  • Possums all year round. Get ready for improvement.
Re: Crosman 2240 thoughts? Im new to upgrading..
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:13 PM »

i have a 10" .177 stock 1377 barrel you can have brother  ;D

pm me your shipping addy.

the amazing members here have helped me out many many times over the years,

so im happy to pay it forward

Thatd be awesome, kind sir.

Just found a custom valve with custom/sturdier screw, along with another 2 holes drilled and threaded to eventually add more support. Only issue now is to drill 2 holes in the main tube to line up with the screw holes...

Apparently magnum air power also sells the 2240 main tubes with holes drilled for thier custom valve/screws.... thats another 47$
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
Re: Crosman 2240 thoughts? Im new to upgrading.. need help finding service
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 07:27:20 PM »
So....

I made the decision to purchase the pcp main tube and upgraded valve today. Figured i could eat ramen noodles for lunch instead of subway everyday for the next 10 days.

I put my 2240 back together, lubing up every seal, and did a (power?) Mod to the hammer spring, added a small bolt nut under the the spring in the back cap and another under the spring in the hammer divet. Idk if was lubing the seals or the hammer spring, but it made a HUGE difference compared to the day i played around with the 2240. The pellet drop is almost non existent, it shoots upwards about 6" more than before, and it is noticbly louder.

I think im getting close to my goal...    regardless where the 2240 is now, the stock 1377 still out performs this 2240.

Thanks for all the help guys. I knew the 13xx was a money hole, but didnt know the 22xx was even deeper along with more mods :P i really appreciate the information you have bestowed upon me ;)

Edit: forgot to mention i also bought a "boss buddy" transport valve since it looks like it should seal alot better, and has better flow like other upgraded companies.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:36:44 PM by Skeeeets »
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 08:51:56 PM »
@Ribbonstone

Would it be unsafe to put a barrel band between the hipac and barrel(not on the threaded area)? The hipac might be "permanent" to the gun so as far as degassing, i figured id do it the same as i did with crosman/benjamin wildfire rifle, use my hand pump to "fill" till it just pops the seal on the valve and then degass the pump slowly till both pump and gun are empty. Is that a hazard too with the hipac? Im relatively new to pcp let alone these co2 crosman guns.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:23:05 PM by Skeeeets »
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 11:24:49 PM »
Really stupid question....

What does a replacement/modded hammer do? Beside "flawless/smooth" cocking that i read everywhere.
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Offline Pelletjunkie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »
Flawless/smooth hammer bounce.
  • United States, Pa, Mineral Point

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 09:40:49 PM »
Flawless/smooth hammer bounce.

Which in turn does what? Less kickback? Or just "feels" better physically?

Edit: im just happy i took the gun appart waiting, then decided to put it back together untill mail arrives will all parts. It did alot of justice to the original performance
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:15:09 PM by Skeeeets »
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Offline Pelletjunkie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
When you pull the trigger on your 2240, your hammer hits the pin on the valve. It depresses the pin and Air goes out the top of the valve and fires the pellet. What also happens is after your hammer hits the pin, the pin which has a ton of pressure behind it, propels your hammer back into the hammer spring. Then the hammer spring propels the hammer back into the valve pin a second time and it releases a little more air. This is hammer bounce and it wastes air and sounds bad. When you get rid of it, even a CO2 gun has a nice “snap” when fired. Hope I explained this well.

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
Hope I explained this well.

Explained pretty well. Sorry for my ignorance again :P besides a whole new modded hammer, can/does just a stonger hammer spring help/fix that?

Nice "snap" i have definatly noticed after reassembly, lube, and small mod to the spring.
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Offline Pelletjunkie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »
It could help or make it worse. Look down a couple subjects at a thread called Building a SSG. Look at the pics. That’s what dudes build trying to rid their guns of hammer bounce.

Offline Pelletjunkie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 10:38:18 PM »
A free flight hammer is the route I go. The main thing is if your hammer spring is under tension when you put the plug in the back of your gun, your going the bounce that hammer off the valve when you fire it. SSG, FFH or even a TSS create a gap so when the hammer rebounds, it free flights, then hits the rod and is done.

Offline nervoustrigger

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The Grin Reaper
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 10:47:55 PM »
A 2240 is one of the easiest platforms to adapt a SSG.  Photos:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:50:08 PM by nervoustrigger »
  • MS

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 10:51:00 PM »
I wish there was a thumbs up feature on these forums. You guys are the best.

A free flight hammer is the route I go. SSG, FFH or even a TSS create a gap so when the hammer rebounds, it free flights, then hits the rod and is done.

What do the acronyms stand for? New to all the "slang" here :P
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Offline Pelletjunkie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »
Here is mine. I was lazy and bought it.

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
Re: Crosman 2240 thoughts? Im new to upgrading.. need help with hipac.
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »
Hipac just showed up... i feel really stupid because i unscrewed it and the internals fell out... idk what order the washers and pin goes when putting it back together.

Edit: i guess it doesnt matter because the tube tolerances are off and it dont fit into the co2 chamber... hope this new main tube coming doesnt have that issue :(
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:04:57 AM by Skeeeets »
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2018, 12:12:46 AM »
 Modded main tube and valve will be here monday. Currently the hipac does not fit into the stock 2240 tube of my gun (maybe i got an updated 2240 with smaller ID to reduce co2 cartridge rattle?)

I think i have the internals right... but idk for sure.

I emailed the hipac support a short email with details of the issue yesterday. I got a responce about an hour later, "...all i need is to know who you are." So i gave my name and order date and also sent 2 pictures (one of the hipac length that is right, and another of the gun and tube standing up without it going down) i havent had a reply in 24 hours :/ its the weekend now so i dont expect any emails till monday.
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
Re: Crosman 2240.. Im new to upgrading.. need help alot sorry
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 02:22:53 PM »
Woke up to a HUGE surprise! Hipac didnt email me back but aparently sent me a new one and tracking :D unbelievable. Great support.

Edit: another HUGE surprise! I got mail on a sunday!?! The body tube and screws showed up, yet its from the same website as the valve and shipped later, but it came first?

Valve will be here tomorrow and then the hipac replacement on tuesday.

Anyone with proper tools want this "unuseable" hipac portion (they sent me just a new bottom half)? You can fix the tolerance on the hipac to fit a 2240. Looking at the area above and below the insert threads, it is noticble by eye that its thicker on the insert portion. The only "fix" i can do is spin it in a drill and use sandpaper to try and reduce the size, but it wouldnt be uniform...     free ninety nine, ill send it to whoever.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:35:20 PM by Skeeeets »
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
Re: Crosman 2240.. upgrade journey. Thanks for the help all.
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 10:04:19 PM »
Everything is here today, except for a 10" .177 barrel from the very nice gentleman @starlingassassin. Took me awhile to get things apart and reassembled, found the the "boss buddy" port does not seal properly so i swapped back to the original.

Still not sure if the hipac internals are right... or if the male air end of the hipac has got bad tolerances too. Assembled into the gun and using a hand pump, i have to hold both male and female ends tight while i pump otherwise it leaks out faster than i can pump, after it fills enough (200~ psi) i can let go and fully pump with both hands. No other issue then that. Probably need to lube the pump seals up since its ben used 40~ times and see if that helps.

43 shots down at start 1200psi before it emptied and the pellet got stuck in the chamber and it 80°f outside right now. Yesterday daytime it was 89°f and using a fresh co2 cartridge i was able to get 32 shots before bone dry. So far so good. Noise wise its the same.

Again thanks to everyone here with all your help.
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

Online Skeeeets

• Shooter
Re: Crosman 2240.. upgrade journey. Thanks for the help all.
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »
For reference.... if any one reads this thread any more...

Hipac was taken apart and internals fell out. Idk what way they went in....  holding hipac endcap upside down i took the black washer first and slid it down till the bowl end was facing to the threads, lubed the pin and oring and slid that down with "head" facing to the threads, then slid the white washer down and spring....

Was this right?
  • USA, Illinois, Chicago

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.