New Pro Sport, the good, the bad.

Author Topic: New Pro Sport, the good, the bad.  (Read 2312 times))

Offline North Country Gal

• Expert
  • yes
Re: New Pro Sport, the good, the bad.
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 09:12:00 PM »
As someone who lives in northern Wisconsin and shoots, outside in the winter with her ProSport, it's not at all a waste of time. I usually take some warm up shots to loosen things up before getting too serious about groups and, yes, you'll likely get some POI changes, but nothing you can't work, around. Sure beats putting a gun away for the winter. Don't forget try shooting indoors, too, if that's an option. The PS has a bit more fpe than needed for typical indoor work, but even at 10 meters it's a fun gun to shoot. Do it all winter long with mine.
  • Rhinelander, Wi

Offline MileHighJSC

• RamRod
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
As someone who lives in northern Wisconsin and shoots, outside in the winter with her ProSport, it's not at all a waste of time. I usually take some warm up shots to loosen things up before getting too serious about groups and, yes, you'll likely get some POI changes, but nothing you can't work, around. Sure beats putting a gun away for the winter. Don't forget try shooting indoors, too, if that's an option. The PS has a bit more fpe than needed for typical indoor work, but even at 10 meters it's a fun gun to shoot. Do it all winter long with mine.
Great to hear.👍  I will definitely do some shooting this winner.   And if I can figure something out maybe try to shoot indoors the pro sport definitely seems quiet enough to shoot indoors.
  • USA Mountains of Idaho

Offline MileHighJSC

• RamRod
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2018, 12:38:55 AM »
Pellet rifles are shot at such close  distances that Iím not used to. This is a brand new rifle and new scope and is grouping well.  at 20 yards I am 85 clicks down.   Does this seem correct for my pro sport shooting air arms .22 cal pellets?
  • USA Mountains of Idaho

Offline Jason_Garvin

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »
Pellet rifles are shot at such close  distances that Iím not used to. This is a brand new rifle and new scope and is grouping well.  at 20 yards I am 85 clicks down.   Does this seem correct for my pro sport shooting air arms .22 cal pellets?

Sounds like some droop issues, from optical zero, I would like to see a rifle shoot 3" low. 

Jason G
  • Findlay, Illinois
Everybody got to die sometime, Red.

Offline Yarddog

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
OP, I would suspect the scope and/or the way it's mounted.  When I got my TX200, I mounted a Hammers scope...a better one is on the way...and it shot way low.  I don't blame 'barrel droop'.  I blame an inexpensive scope.  As long as you're on target now, and not at the limits of your adjustment, it's all good...in my admittedly inexperienced with airguns opinion, that is!
  • Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Online Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »
Many pellet rifles have varying degrees of barrel droop the solution is a droop compensating mount. If you choose to forgo the compensating mount plan on replacing scopes frequently the cheaper the scope the shorter the life of the scope. the problem is that even if the scope has enough elevation to correct for the low POI you are probably near the limits of adjustability.  This will not work well in the long run because of the stress on the inner workings of the scope.

I went through three AG rated scopes on my Diana D460 before installing the compensating mount and since then no further scope failures 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:00:58 PM by Sfttailrdr46 »
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
FX Crown .22 w/600 mm Barrel ordered
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe FS
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline MileHighJSC

• RamRod
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2018, 12:11:00 AM »
The scope is a leupold 3-9x33 efr. Iím using hawke match mount two piece rings.  Iím really trying to stay away from a one piece mount, I really donít care for the looks of one piece mounts. The leupold bottoms out at around 150 clicks down from center.  Iím at 85 down so slightly more than halfway,( assuming that all 150 clicks are usable. 

1.Do the experts on here think Iím in the ok zone of adjustment?
2. How much can you shim the scope in the rings, safety without tube damage?
  • USA Mountains of Idaho

Offline MileHighJSC

• RamRod
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2018, 12:17:09 AM »

Sounds like some droop issues, from optical zero, I would like to see a rifle shoot 3" low. 

Jason G
[/quote]

So are you saying, after mounting your scope, and your crosshairs are optically centered, the pellets should be hitting 3in low at 20yards?  If youíre scope is 1/4 moa,  how meny clicks down to zero it?
  • USA Mountains of Idaho

Offline Yogi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2018, 06:59:59 AM »

Jason G

So are you saying, after mounting your scope, and your crosshairs are optically centered, the pellets should be hitting 3in low at 20yards?  If youíre scope is 1/4 moa,  how meny clicks down to zero it?
[/quote]

About 60 clicks up.

-Y

Think about getting an adaptor base with built in droop compensation, then mount 2 piece rings on top.
  • San Francisco, CA
Hatsan 95 Vortex, .22
RWS 6G, .177
RWS LP8 Magnum, .177
Diana 340 N-Tec, .22 Compact Lexus
HW 50S, .177 and/or .22

Offline MileHighJSC

• RamRod
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »

Jason G

About 60 clicks up.

-Y

Think about getting an adaptor base with built in droop compensation, then mount 2 piece rings on top.

[/quote]

Are you comfortable with 60 clicks up as a permanent way to zero in a leupold on a Pro-Sport?
  • USA Mountains of Idaho

Offline Jason_Garvin

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »

Jason G

About 60 clicks up.

-Y

Are you comfortable with 60 clicks up as a permanent way to zero in a leupold on a Pro-Sport?
[/quote]

I like the BKL260D7 on the AA, they bite the dovetails real well,

Jason G
  • Findlay, Illinois

Offline Smoketown

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2018, 01:18:34 PM »
The scope is a leupold 3-9x33 efr. Iím using hawke match mount two piece rings.  Iím really trying to stay away from a one piece mount, I really donít care for the looks of one piece mounts. The leupold bottoms out at around 150 clicks down from center.  Iím at 85 down so slightly more than halfway,( assuming that all 150 clicks are usable. 

You seem to be jumping around a bit.

What EXACTLY are you trying to do?

Are you setting up your rifle for hunting or 10 meter target?

I sighted my rifle in at 30 yards. I use a mil-dot scope on this rifle. (The other has a simple duplex reticle.)

Because the pellet trajectory crosses the line of sight twice, once near and once far, ALL of my corrections are "hold over".

When I practice shooting at paper at say 10 yards/meters I either use (mil-dot) hold over or, I place an aiming point "X" inches above the bulls eye.

If there is enough paper below the bulls-eye, I usually don't worry about it as I am "shooting for group size" and the "score" (to me) is not relevant and as a bonus, my aiming point stays intact!!

There are two piece adjustable rings available ... I just don't like to mess with the set-up once everything where it needs to be.  (In my case it's for hunting, plinking and a little field target.)

Google is your friend ...    ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+piece+adjustable+rings+for+airguns&rlz=1C1RNPN_enUS411US491&oq=2+piece+adjustable+rings+for+airguns&aqs=chrome..69i57.26432j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

My favorite - Burris Signature Rings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=burris+signature+rings&rlz=1C1RNPN_enUS411US491&oq=burris+signature&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.11261j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cheers,
Smoketown
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:20:54 PM by Smoketown »
  • Smoketown, PA
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
- George Orwell

Current Crop -
1965 Sheridan Blue Streak - She was my first "real airgun" - New in '66 ... I still have her!
Daisy 717 - 'bout 1984?
AA TX200 MK III - .177
AA S510 FAC - .177 - Regulated
NRA Life Member

Members Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067
No Registration - Just Your Zip Code

Offline MileHighJSC

• RamRod
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »

You seem to be jumping around a bit.

What EXACTLY are you trying to do?

Are you setting up your rifle for hunting or 10 meter target?

I sighted my rifle in at 30 yards. I use a mil-dot scope on this rifle. (The other has a simple duplex reticle.)

Because the pellet trajectory crosses the line of sight twice, once near and once far, ALL of my corrections are "hold over".

When I practice shooting at paper at say 10 yards/meters I either use (mil-dot) hold over or, I place an aiming point "X" inches above the bulls eye.

If there is enough paper below the bulls-eye, I usually don't worry about it as I am "shooting for group size" and the "score" (to me) is not relevant and as a bonus, my aiming point stays intact!!

There are two piece adjustable rings available ... I just don't like to mess with the set-up once everything where it needs to be.  (In my case it's for hunting, plinking and a little field target.)

Google is your friend ...    ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+piece+adjustable+rings+for+airguns&rlz=1C1RNPN_enUS411US491&oq=2+piece+adjustable+rings+for+airguns&aqs=chrome..69i57.26432j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

My favorite - Burris Signature Rings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=burris+signature+rings&rlz=1C1RNPN_enUS411US491&oq=burris+signature&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.11261j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cheers,
Smoketown
I want to be zeroed at 20 yards.  I want to know how many clicks from optical center is ďokĒ, before you feel I need to get a droop compensating Mount, or other adjustable rings.   Also how much shimming I can do in the hawke rings them selves before you are in danger of causing scope tube damage.
  • USA Mountains of Idaho

Offline Jason_Garvin

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
I would not recommend shimming the rings.  One piece mounts are the best route by all means.  But I know folks swear by the Burris rings with the inserts, I would go that route with the two piece.  Some of the cheap Chinese mounts most likely are not line bored or paired.  This will cause issues with a scope also.  Flip the rings front to rear and see what happens.  Also do some height measurements with calipers and see how close they are to each other.

Mac1 use to offer two piece mounts, paired and line bored to minute of angle, check these out,

http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=DrMe1Sp11

Jason G
  • Findlay, Illinois

Offline Nitrocrushr

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2018, 10:28:04 AM »
Ryon, This is only my opinion based on my personal experience.  Running a scope that far from optical center is not good on a springer.  On a PCP youíd probably never have an issue, but on a springer you will.  It may hold zero perfectly....for awhile,  but then the affects if being so far out from center will begin to set it and youíll struggle holding POI.  If all you want to do is hold soda can accuracy at 30 yards, the scope will probably do that fine.  But if youíre looking for tight groups with pellets touching, there will come a point where the groups will start to grow and if you arenít careful you will spend hours and hours trying to troubleshoot a rifle for a scope problem.

My first recommendation would be to get that scope back to optical center asap.  Dont let it sit that far out.  Next would be to pick up a good single piece adjustable like Sportsmatch offers.  But if the looks bother you that much, then go with their adjustable 2-piece rings.

Hope this helps😉

Steve
  • Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Air Arms TX200 .177 Rifle - 22mm skirtless dual seal conversion from Tony Leach

HW98 .177 - Vortek 12fpe

N.U.A.H. Club - Master

Offline MileHighJSC

• RamRod
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help.  This air guning is turning out to be a little more complex than I first thought.  It is a good challenge.  Sure am glad for all you fellas willing to share you expertise with us. Thanks
  • USA Mountains of Idaho

Offline pelletcaster

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2018, 06:17:29 PM »
May be a silly question but can/did you try to attach your one piece mount the other way round?
  • Austria, Carinthia, 9063 MARIA SAAL
Live is a journey - not a destination.
----------------------------------------------
DS MK4iS S - 4,5
SPA P12 - 5,5
CZ200S Green Ė 4,5
TX200HC - 4,5 / Vortek
LGU Master - 4,5
LGV 2012 CompUltra  - 4,5
HW35-4,5 / Vortek
HW50 25mm - 4,5  / Vortek
HW90 - 4,5/5,5 (in Arbeit)
DIANA 34 T01 Ė 4,5
HW80K 5,5

S&W Revolver .357mag 686-3
S&W-Pistole 422
VOERE Rep .22 lr

Offline Yarddog

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2019, 02:34:24 AM »
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help.  This air guning is turning out to be a little more complex than I first thought.  It is a good challenge.  Sure am glad for all you fellas willing to share you expertise with us. Thanks
Like others, I came from the firearms world, and I gotta say...there is a LOT to this airgunning thang! Well, at least in terms of springers...every shooting session.is a new challenge. Whether it's the conditions,  the tightness of the fasteners on the rifle, or my mental outlook, there's always a new thing to overcome.
  • Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Online Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Think first then hit send
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2019, 12:30:52 PM »
I like shooting my springers mainly due to the fact that they require me to focus on my basic shooting skills and technique. That translates into better results no matter what rifle I pick up and shoot  ;D ;D
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut FS
Rainstorm II .22 AWESOME Rifle
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
FX Crown .22 w/600 mm Barrel ordered
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe FS
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA
 https://www.zeemaps.com/map?

Offline Smoketown

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »
I like shooting my springers mainly due to the fact that they require me to focus on my basic shooting skills and technique. That translates into better results no matter what rifle I pick up and shoot  ;D ;D

Where's "da tums up"  button???

Cheers,
Smoketown
  • Smoketown, PA
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
- George Orwell

Current Crop -
1965 Sheridan Blue Streak - She was my first "real airgun" - New in '66 ... I still have her!
Daisy 717 - 'bout 1984?
AA TX200 MK III - .177
AA S510 FAC - .177 - Regulated
NRA Life Member

Members Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067
No Registration - Just Your Zip Code

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: