How do you "color" wood for fancy laminate stock build?

Author Topic: How do you "color" wood for fancy laminate stock build?  (Read 450 times))

Offline ray1377

• Get a P-rod, they said........It will be fun, they said :(
  • Sharp Shooter
  • Master of the 1000 inch shot.
How do you "color" wood for fancy laminate stock build?
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »
I just love looking at those beautiful minelli custom laminate stocks on AirArms S510 and those Daystate redwolf black and red stocks are sweet.
I was curious if anybody knows an easy way to make or color your own wood blanks to make your own custom laminate stock?
Thanks
Ray
  • New Albany, MS
All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "EXPERIENCE" ... Our Reward For Lifes Mistakes
Re: How do you "color" wood for fancy laminate stock build?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »
All of the commercial "colored" laminated stocks are actually PRE-DYED in sheet form before being laminated into the thick ply that makes up the blank.
Those done in solid colors only shift the look as different layers & grain structure / direction get cut into.
Those done in different colored layers is what gives the WILD looks !!

Most laminate stock are made with BIRCH which is very blond & also willing to accept water based dye and still allow the bonding adhesive to penetrate and glue the layers together.

Having a finished stock TOTALLY RAW not having a previous finish on it ( So the wood pores are completely open ) Or one very carefully sanded, solvent wicked of remaining trace finish to get the wood opened up.
Lighter the wood is while in the RAW, better will be the color used to dye remaining that color once soaked in and dry.

There are wood prep products to aid in the woods surface prep so color is set/taken in by the wood more evenly.
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline ray1377

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
Thanks Motorhead
Sounds like I need to do some "googling" and read up on what you are speaking of.
Dumb question, but wonder if water based "RIT" dye would soak up well in birch from Lowes?
And reckon what would happen when you "wet" the wood with glue on the blanks, if the wetness of the glue would cause the color to run (bleed) from
one blank section to the other?
Thanks
Ray
  • New Albany, MS

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... AAFTA 2018 Gran Prix Hunter PCP High Point Champion.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "EXPERIENCE" ... Our Reward For Lifes Mistakes
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 04:50:59 PM »
Thanks Motorhead
Sounds like I need to do some "googling" and read up on what you are speaking of.
Dumb question, but wonder if water based "RIT" dye would soak up well in birch from Lowes?
And reckon what would happen when you "wet" the wood with glue on the blanks, if the wetness of the glue would cause the color to run (bleed) from
Thanks
Ray
Don't know of the RIT dyes that you use on fabrics etc ... Those water based dies used on WOOD may or may not be similar ???
water based dyes are used because the solvents/ chemical makeup in the glues used don't react to the dried dyes.  So when differing colors are bonded there is no color bleed over.

This info is of my vague understanding and others with more info may even correct what i have stated, tho i believe it to be accurate.
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline ray1377

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »
Thanks Motorhead
Thanks
Ray
Don't know of the RIT dyes that you use on fabrics etc ... Those water based dies used on WOOD may or may not be similar ???
water based dyes are used because the solvents/ chemical makeup in the glues used don't react to the dried dyes.  So when differing colors are bonded there is no color bleed over.

This info is of my vague understanding and others with more info may even correct what i have stated, tho i believe it to be accurate.

:) :) :)
  • New Albany, MS

Offline guero_gordo

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 02:25:16 AM »
The stuff for wood is traditionally called aniline dye(probably made of something else these days), should be available from Rockler, BUT it's tough to get dye to penetrate and color the wood through, otherwise when you start to shape the stock the layers will be light in the center.
You might ask in a woodturning forum, those bowl makers do a lot of work with contrasting layers.
  • Nor-Cal

Offline dan_house

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »
ray,

RIT dye will color beech from the HD/Lowes... itll also color 9 ply baltic birch (poor man' laminate). the beech CAN come out splotchy and uneven as the varying desnites of wood will affect absorbtion,,,

Ive had beeter luck with colored india ink thinnned with alcohol, but its still a cr@p shoot.

the baltic birch takes color well, but you have to do the coloring after shaping but before final sand and finishing

and yes qwater based glues (TiteBond) can make water based dyes/stains bleed. Depends on sooooooo many factors
Thomas L .177
CCA Tuned Diana54
The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's Headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy

Proud sponsor of Team_subsonic

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Offline ray1377

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
ray,

RIT dye will color beech from the HD/Lowes... itll also color 9 ply baltic birch (poor man' laminate). the beech CAN come out splotchy and uneven as the varying desnites of wood will affect absorbtion,,,

Ive had beeter luck with colored india ink thinnned with alcohol, but its still a cr@p shoot.

the baltic birch takes color well, but you have to do the coloring after shaping but before final sand and finishing

and yes qwater based glues (TiteBond) can make water based dyes/stains bleed. Depends on sooooooo many factors

Well that puts a new light on the situation.
Seems like its gonna be tougher than I originally thought.
Unless I just glue blanks together without the color and then just finish it in tru-oil.
Another thing I just thought of. When trying to dye the blanks do you spray it on or submerse it in the colored solution?
If you do that isn't it going to try and warp the thin blank before it gets dry enough to glue it to the other blanks?
Thanks
Ray
  • New Albany, MS

Offline dan_house

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
IVe sprayed it on and wiped it on.... really think dunking it would be best, but it required a container big enough and enough solution to cover it.....

Ive only done it on a shaped (but not final sanded) gunstock blank. not worked with indivudal layers.......
Thomas L .177
CCA Tuned Diana54
The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's Headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy

Proud sponsor of Team_subsonic

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Offline DevilsLuck

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • N.U.A.H.-Sharp Shooter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »
I've had good results using these products. There are many videos on YT showing the applications of various colors. Hope this helps...
https://www.kedadyeinc.com

Plus many more...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:48:24 PM by DevilsLuck »
  • Pell City, AL
Daisy 853 /.177
HW77k Special Edition /.22
Diana 48 B /.22
Air Arms TX200 MK III /.22 Walnut
Crosman Storm XT /.177
Crosman P1377 /.177
Crosman SNR .357 /.177
Benjamin Trail NP Pistol /.177 Dumpster fire!
Smith & Wesson M&P 45 /.177
Benjamin Titan GP /.22
Remington Express Synthetic /.22
Crosman F4 /.177
Hatsan 135 QE Carnivore /.30
Diana 350 .22
DPMS Panther A4 Classic /.177
Diana 34 /.177
Umarex Fusion /.177
Crosman Marksman 1010 /BB
Beeman P17 X 2 /.177
Benjamin 392 /.22- out of commission...
Diana Meisterschutz /.177

Offline ray1377

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 11:56:57 PM »
Wow, thanks.
that is really cool looking stuff.
Ray
  • New Albany, MS

Offline Danradko

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »
Ive done a bit of wood dyeing and have tried many options. Rit dye, fountain pen ink, food coloring will all work but i have found in my research that the color will fade a bit over time. Pretty much any woodworking supply has the proper alanine dyes. I beleive theres a metallic salt version that prevents fading. I dont remember all of the details exactly but mustof read hundreds of pages on it a few years ago. I ended up with a big box of nearly everycolor transfast glycerine based dye(the liquid one that mixes with water or alcohol). I can say after 3 years getting sun threw a window it still looks great. Ive used on cabinets, guitars, knife scales, jewlery boxes. I found that the cheapest option for a professional product
  • USA, NJ, Cherry Hill

Offline Rabbit\Squirrel Killer

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 05:49:19 PM »
I did these with food coloring and Trueoil to seal and finish it.
  • Hemet, CA
Rabbit\Squirrel Killer :^)>
Diana K98, Diana 46 St, :) , Crosman's 2260's, 2250's, 2240's, 2289, 1300, 1377,1322, 1077's, 180, 187, 150's, 157, 130, 38C, PeaceMakers, Benjamin 130, 250, 252, 257, 347, Custom PCP .25 cal B&N breech Green Mountain barrel, Discovery based custom over40fpe for 20 shots, PRod, Maximus, Black Ops Exterminator, P08's, Gletcher NGT, '97 and '72 Sheriden Blue Streaks,'84 Sheridan Silver Streak, Sheridan E series, PPK, Colt 1911, Legends M712, B3-1 AK side levers and MORE

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?

Sponsored Ad: