Need Machinist to make a Pellet Swager

Author Topic: Need Machinist to make a Pellet Swager  (Read 4501 times - 2 votes) 
)

Offline ken47

• Shooter
  • yes
Re: Need Machinist to make a Pellet Swager
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »
WOOHOO, 3200 views. That's a lot of attention. I would like you guys to know that something great is happening. Look at the finish of our machined .30 cal test cavity. (next to it is our 1st EDM cavity that started it all). What do you think of it? Group buys?
Passion leads you to your goal

ken: Mechanical Engineer :)

Offline subscriber

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »
Smooth!
  • USA

Online darkcharisma

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »
Hey guys, I am finally back from Asia, but also loaded with chores and moving to a new flat. I have not been able to get on or touch the swaging dies at all. But i am slowly getting to it. Ken has started on the new process similar to CNC, which i wanted to begin with since the beginning. Sub, I am still working on producing pellets for the masses, hopefully i can ship before Christmas.
  • Sachse, TX, USA

Online tronickero

• Shooter
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »
WOOHOO, 3200 views. That's a lot of attention. I would like you guys to know that something great is happening. Look at the finish of our machined .30 cal test cavity. (next to it is our 1st EDM cavity that started it all). What do you think of it? Group buys?

Wow looks really good!! ken I will start saving money, if everything is going well I would like to represent you here in Chile

Regards
  • Concepcion/Bio-Bio-Chile

Offline ken47

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »
This is It. We have achieved the results. Super macro pics of parts, you can see the microfibers of cotton in some pics. Comparison of our commercially available pellet mold vs prototype. A sub $399 SWAGING mold is now accessible to masses, with 6 cavity Hardened TOOL STEEL mold starting from $270 effectively costing $45 per cavity and 10 cavity mold at $350 effectively costing $35 per cavity. RIP Aluminium and brass molds ( Casting molds made from hardened steel coming soon )

Offline subscriber

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2019, 09:40:05 PM »
Looking good, Ken

Can you explain the polished VS matte looking cavities?  I assume it is to show off your latest process :)

In other words, what does one get for the money, and how does one use it?  Pellets coming out of the shiny cavities should look nicer too. 

It would be great if you showed measurements for the pellets, taken across each cavity split line, and parallel to each cavity, from a given block.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:46:35 PM by subscriber »
  • USA

Offline ken47

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2019, 12:29:50 AM »
Sure, sub. I am in the process of making such a video where the details of the new mould will be shared.

Offline ken47

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2019, 06:47:21 AM »
This is what happened at the heat treatment facility, They said, Sir if its aluminium then it will melt, I replied: No its tool steel. Make it as hard as 57 HRC, they replied: At that hardness, we think that you can use your mould as a tool to cut aluminium.  ;D .

The results are stunning after getting the mould hardened.

Offline subscriber

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Looks very nice, Ken!

Is the tool steel hardened before or after you make the pellet cavities?  Is this EDM, and then abrasive polishing; or a completely new secret process?

The only aspects that really matter to us are pellet diameter, roundness, concentrically, weight and consistency between cavities.   Certainly, shinier pellets are prettier; but roughness of the cavity matters mostly with respect to getting the pellets out of the cavities undamaged.
  • USA

Offline ken47

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2019, 11:37:23 AM »
Sub. I've turned to Mill it out on the new Makino VMC. I used fine cutters to cut the profile. I have mastered both the EDM and CNC milling techniques and Milling seems to be a perfect choice. The blocks were at HRC 20 and were machined using profile cutters. later hardened. It is consistent in diameter 9.04 to be precise. Pellet extraction has become easier now unlike those micro-pits of EDM, the surface is smooth and uniform.

Offline subscriber

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »
That is great, Ken

Unless this is air hardening tool steel, or you had it nitrided, the typical problem with machining to final dimensions before quench hardening is distortion due to the rapid cooling.  If your die-halves stay flat and the alignment pins don't fight, than chances are that the pellet cavities are good with respect to alignment and roundness too.

Can't wait to see some pellets from these dies.
  • USA

Online darkcharisma

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2019, 07:49:02 PM »
for the type of steel that is being used...20hrc would have been minimally adequate at a cost of shorter life. we can't discuss the make up of the type but it is air hardening. i can see induction harden a very fitting method for it. lets jump into induction next Ken.
  • Sachse, TX, USA

Offline subscriber

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2019, 08:06:44 PM »
Air hardening steel is good for minimizing distortion, because no quenching in water or oil is required.  Pretty expensive material, but great for this application.
  • USA

Offline ken47

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
Yes they are air hardened, And they shine really well.

Offline subscriber

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2019, 10:01:57 AM »
Nice!

Any diameter / roundness measurement data you could share?
  • USA

Offline ken47

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »
Yes, the .357 measure 9.04 on the head and .30 measure 7.69mm on the micrometre. .30 is made specifically for LW barrel.

Online darkcharisma

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2019, 01:41:28 PM »
what are the weight variables?
parting lines are a bit noticeable...i hope that doesn't foul play on accuracy beyond 75 yards. Another improvement Ken! bravo, love the shine, must be very easy to extract?
  • Sachse, TX, USA

Offline ken47

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »
Even the dust particles look bigger. Finishing off a .25 cavity with super macro pics.

Online tronickero

• Shooter
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2019, 05:06:50 PM »
Even the dust particles look bigger. Finishing off a .25 cavity with super macro pics.

I think that results are awesome!, But before buying a mold I would like to try some pellets and see groups that can achieve
  • Concepcion/Bio-Bio-Chile

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?
Sponsored Ad:

Sponsored Ad: